Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Raneman posted:

Anyone ever played Nitemare 3D? I had never heard of it until I saw it up on some classic DOS emulator.

http://www.classicdosgames.com/online/nite3d20.html

Pro tip: The bookcase in the first room is a secret, found that out shortly after starting.

I actually played the poo poo out of this game, and found it both deep and frustrating. My gun can jam? What?!

Also, one could technically consider this Hugo 4, since you're playing as Hugo, rescuing Penelope.

If anyone is lost... wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

After noodling around with Brutal Doom + Community Chest for a bit (as someone suggested earlier in this thread) I find myself returning to my old friend War of Attrition. Are there any Community Chest style map packs for Duke3d? Attrition already collects a lot of community maps, and places like the Duke Repository collect a lot of individual maps, but there seems to be a shortage of fan-made campaigns or map packs.

E: I should probably clarify that I'm specifically looking for map packs that I can load into Attrition, not total conversions like AMC or Siege Breaker.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 6, 2012

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quake 2 turned 15 today. Holy hell! Tim Willits dropped some fun facts to Bethesda's blog to mark it:

quote:

• Only three artists made all the 2D and 3D art for the entire game.
  • One of the original suggested names for QUAKE II was WOR, but the game’s fast-paced, tactile feel felt closer to a QUAKE game than a new franchise.
  • ‘The Edge’ (Tim’s favorite deathmatch level in QUAKE II or any other game), has over 50 trick jumps possible in the map. Tim only designed two of them, and the rest were discovered by the QUAKE II community.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Does anyone know what weapon mod is being used in this video?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Genocyber posted:

Does anyone know what weapon mod is being used in this video?

Shooting Monsters With Guns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Anyone else unable to manually reload using Brutal Doom/GZDoom on a mac? Won't work. The keys work for rebinding and everything, and I've used various ones, but still, no actual reloading during gameplay unless my clip is empty.

Works fine on the PC, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone else unable to manually reload using Brutal Doom/GZDoom on a mac? Won't work. The keys work for rebinding and everything, and I've used various ones, but still, no actual reloading during gameplay unless my clip is empty.

I think Brutal Doom has it's own Reload function bind right near the bottom of the controls list, and the native GZDoom one won't work.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yup that exact thing caught me earlier today.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder what the preferred title for Quake II was, the one that was already trademarked?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

I wonder what the preferred title for Quake II was, the one that was already trademarked?

They actually didn't get to a single preferred one if I remember right, they had a big list of names and all of the more preferred ones on the list were already subject to trademark conflicts, and the ones without conflicts they didn't like too much. So they just went to the placeholder title they had used all along.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

They felt the most accurate title, Boring: The Game, was a little too accurate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I think Brutal Doom has it's own Reload function bind right near the bottom of the controls list, and the native GZDoom one won't work.

Oh my god, I can be a proper Doomsman now. THANK YOU.

It was weird, the UI for Doom's menu has always been bad, but I feel that Brutal Doom is REALLY hard to read. I had no idea there were options further down, but on a hunch (and you mentioning it), I just pressed up on the top-most option, and it brought me to the bottom, with tons of poo poo I hadn't seen before. Thanks!

It is weird, however, that the PC version of GZDoom + BrutalDoom seems to have this binded already, and the mac version doesn't... unless I set the controls up wrong, and I screwed it up.

Actually, that's probably what happened.

EDIT: Wait, I don't understand... where was reloading implemented in GZDoom? Isnt' it a Brutal Doom thing? Why would there be an option there already? :psyduck:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

EDIT: Wait, I don't understand... where was reloading implemented in GZDoom? Isnt' it a Brutal Doom thing? Why would there be an option there already? :psyduck:

I think there's some mods that use it - it's part of the general new-wave controls like crouching and altfires. I can't remember whether Strife has a reload function. Either way, Brutal Doom has its own reload system - dunno why it's separate.

GZDoom could use a bit of an interface cleanup in general.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Raneman posted:

Anyone ever played Nitemare 3D? I had never heard of it until I saw it up on some classic DOS emulator.
I remember playing the shareware release far too much - weirdly enough it's a remake of a point-and-click adventure game!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Randy Heit had been convinced relatively recently (if you define "recently" by "after Skulltag desynched") to add generic "zoom" and "reload" buttons. They don't have any effect in the unmodified games, but the idea is that it allows mods which use such features to have unified keys for them, instead of making the players reconfigure their controls every time.

Since it's not present in Skulltag, however, Skulltag mods like Brutal Doom don't use them. (Sarge could use them in the GZDoom version but I guess he doesn't know about it or doesn't want to make the code too different from the Zandronum version.)

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So I played through Cold as Hell the other day. I liked it at first, but I grew tired of the enemies teleporting in whenever I did something important. The later weapons also unlock too late for them to get much use. I spent most of the game using the Super Shotgun, and then switching to the weak Tommy Gun when I ran out of shells.

I'm working on Sonic Doom now.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
This thread is wonderful. :allears:

So i wonder if any of you saw or played this too, a loooong while back a quake total conversion (and stand alone if i remember correctly) was shipped alongside a computer book, in its own box and everything.

The game itself was good for the time (or my young expectations), an improvement on the quake formula at least, sadly i dont remember its name, all i remember is the rough outline of the setting and the ending.

You're a mercenary, you've just finished doing a job when the guy who regularly buys your services dodges the bill again and decides that killing you instead of paying you is the smart choice, que that plan not working and you going forth to get your money and revenge. The ending is you finding his hoard of gold bullion after beating him in a good old fashioned fps slapfight. The setting was a gritty sci-fi but not too far flung.

Anyone know it? :3:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Sounds like Malice, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUMNh1pBR4

Since it was a commercial TC it might be trickier than usual to find.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

The Kins posted:

Sounds like Malice, maybe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cUMNh1pBR4

Since it was a commercial TC it might be trickier than usual to find.

Yep, you got it in one. I dont really intend to replay it, but i just wanted to remember what it was, maybe dig out a video play through/letsplay of it and relive some nostalgia.

The other game mentioned on this thread, Strife: Quest for the Sigil, is one of my most loved FPS's and a huge inspiration to me.
I really want to write a book set in a universe similar, sure its very cheesy and mostly played straight but there is something very compelling about its blend of mythic fantasy, a normal-by-all-standards world suddenly being upturned by the arrival of a cosmic being that brings industry, firearms, mech's and castles guarded by force fields. Its such a wonderful clusterfuck of a setting :allears: and if anyone knows of any other settings like it, feel free to share with me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Shadowmorn posted:

Its such a wonderful clusterfuck of a setting :allears: and if anyone knows of any other settings like it, feel free to share with me.

Not an FPS, but the Wizardry series (especially the later games) revolve around the concept of you being a generic fantasy adventuring party that get picked up by space travellers, so you get scenarios like wizards and paladins clearing killer robots out of spaceports and such.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EDIT: ^^^ THAT sounds loving cool.

That Malice TC reminds me of the first TC I ever played, Shrak. I don't recall THAT much from it, other than it was, overall, 'gross' (but fun!), and the end boss was a really fat, disgusting monster and you could see his rear end-crack if you managed to get behind him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXelEifDLU

The grossness, I think, came from the worm enemies. And the boss.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 7, 2012

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The very early Ultima also had a weird setting mess, as you had things like starfighter combat followed by dungeon delving with sword and shield... Even more remote from FPS, there was Torg, which is pretty much defined entirely by being a clusterfuck of mishmashed settings.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

EDIT: ^^^ THAT sounds loving cool.

That Malice TC reminds me of the first TC I ever played, Shrak. I don't recall THAT much from it, other than it was, overall, 'gross' (but fun!), and the end boss was a really fat, disgusting monster and you could see his rear end-crack if you managed to get behind him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrXelEifDLU

The grossness, I think, came from the worm enemies. And the boss.

It's got a pretty radical website too.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Just downloaded the new version of Brutal Doom and Community Chest 4 to go with it. Seeing how far I can get while blind with no in-level saves on UV.

Holy poo poo Map02 is brutal. There is no good way to start that level and it only goes downhill from there. Easily one of the best standalone maps I've played in a long time.

e. From that Shrak website:

quote:

...the ULTIMATE gamer computer...

Pentium 200, 32MB Ram, 3.2GB Hard Drive, 6MB Video, 17" NEC Monitor,
Advent 20W SurroundSound with 30W Subwoofer, Thrustmaster joystick, Gravis GamePad and tons more.

Pentium 200! :haw:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

Holy poo poo Map02 is brutal. There is no good way to start that level and it only goes downhill from there.

The safest way to start that level is to grab the gear you're given, then move to the side without alerting the first bunch of enemies, switch to the assault rifle and trigger the ambush spawn with some noise. The AR chews through the 7-8 guys that rush you pretty easily.

From there, it's the right-hand sewer tunnel route that's safest, but only if you pick off the cage-dwelling chaingunners. It's tough, but you can get through most of the level with only minimal damage if you take it slow. Going in blind it's pretty nuts, though.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Dominic White posted:

The safest way to start that level is to grab the gear you're given, then move to the side without alerting the first bunch of enemies, switch to the assault rifle and trigger the ambush spawn with some noise. The AR chews through the 7-8 guys that rush you pretty easily.

From there, it's the right-hand sewer tunnel route that's safest, but only if you pick off the cage-dwelling chaingunners. It's tough, but you can get through most of the level with only minimal damage if you take it slow. Going in blind it's pretty nuts, though.

I managed it by starting almost like that, but I went down the left-hand route first. The ambush after getting the supershotgun in the sewers is ridiculous, so I wanted to save it for last.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Beat my first Endurance Reel on Gutrot Island. The Shapeshifter, 180243 points. I don't know if this is impressive but I certainly feel like a winner. That was exhausting.

Post-game stats have stopped showing up, along with a couple other weird quirks. Don't know if it's my GZDoom build.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

bbcisdabomb posted:

Just downloaded the new version of Brutal Doom and Community Chest 4 to go with it. Seeing how far I can get while blind with no in-level saves on UV.

Holy poo poo Map02 is brutal. There is no good way to start that level and it only goes downhill from there. Easily one of the best standalone maps I've played in a long time.

e. From that Shrak website:

Pentium 200! :haw:

Which Brutal Doom do I download for it to work with PrBoom+?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And Brutal Hexen starts advancing from a quick test to something more suiting of the name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6D-LD5cGR8

No word on whether it'll make Hexen's level design bareable, though.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I'm pretty sure it's Zdoom derivitives only. It uses quite a few of the zdoom enhancements to make everything prettier more gory.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

WHOIS John Galt posted:

You don't.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

The Kins posted:

And Brutal Hexen starts advancing from a quick test to something more suiting of the name:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6D-LD5cGR8

No word on whether it'll make Hexen's level design bareable, though.

The (jankily-implemented) Afrit fatality is my work and the reason he went forward with fatalities. I feel so proud.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

The download page for Community Chest 4 suggests that a "Boom v2.02" compatible port is a necessity due to the design of certain levels.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

zdoom/gzdoom are both fully boom compatible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Endurance runs? Points? Going in 'blind'?

I have so much to learn :allears:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Beat my first Endurance Reel on Gutrot Island. The Shapeshifter, 180243 points. I don't know if this is impressive but I certainly feel like a winner. That was exhausting.

Post-game stats have stopped showing up, along with a couple other weird quirks. Don't know if it's my GZDoom build.
Congrats! It's a bug in the current release, it's fixed in the next expansion (along with a bug where the game freezes if you win or die with just one monster left alive on the map)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Have you played Reelism yet? Because if not, you're about to poo poo your pants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFN_nP3DHJo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoombatINC posted:

Have you played Reelism yet? Because if not, you're about to poo poo your pants.
Use this link, sorry. Should probably put up a redirect. I'll do that now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

WHOIS John Galt posted:

The download page for Community Chest 4 suggests that a "Boom v2.02" compatible port is a necessity due to the design of certain levels.

Don't worry, it'll work on ZDoom. In fact, if you look more in depth at the text file, you'll see it mentions (minor) issues with the "recommended" ports (GL/PrBoom+ and EE), but none with ZDoom or GZDoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
drat, now map 4 is kicking my rear end. There's just so many traps it's rediculus. I should have known that those rockets were a trap, though.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic here. I enjoy playing maps for the first time on Hard not because I'm a super 1337 DooMer, but because I get the full force of all the retarded traps Doom is famous for. The only way is to drop into a small room with a switch and a supershotgun: pull the switch and watch the walls drop to reveal a dozen demons and half that number of imps. Which way do you run? What weapon do you use? What weapon should you have had out? Having to actually think about such things is the fun part for me after playing modern story-driven shooters.