Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Great. DS2, Ive played DS for like 2 hours, I just could not stand that 25 fps...
With some luck we will get proper port. Shame about GFWL tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Credit to Star Wars Sex Parrot

Utterly metal, and I say that without no hint of shame nor irony.

Dark Souls really is the Berserk of videogames.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

vitari posted:

Official website is up and has PC listed as well.

http://www.darksoulsii.com/
Oh my goooddddd :swoon:

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

It's appropriate that the player character appears to die about 3 or 4 times in the trailer.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
After that church in Italy was the ecaxt place they based the main church in AL on, now comes this, from france:

:stare:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I should probably beat Dark Souls sometime soon. I did beat the gargoyles today though, so I'm happy. On to Blighttown :black101:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

After that church in Italy was the ecaxt place they based the main church in AL on, now comes this, from france:

:stare:

Quick, photoshop in some silver knights and stuff!
Add armor/weapons to the people already there as well!

Perhaps Dark souls 2 will allow proper dual-wielding?
The person in the trailer was doing that, it seems.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I hope they don't add like talent/skill trees or anything. Those are the bane of my existence.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I stole it from neogaf. :shobon:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm surprised to hear people loved Dark Souls' story, I found it was much weaker than Demon's Souls. Everyone was some sort of undead, the only sympathetic character was the fire maiden and she was barely in it. You're fighting for a land founded by gods that's populated by zombies, who can relate to that? At least Demon's Souls had actual humans. I'd like to see them return to the more gritty medieval style rather than the creepy Alice In Wonderland high fantasy of Dark Souls.

But either way, still gonna buy it!

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Hatter106 posted:

I'm surprised to hear people loved Dark Souls' story, I found it was much weaker than Demon's Souls. Everyone was some sort of undead, the only sympathetic character was the fire maiden and she was barely in it. You're fighting for a land founded by gods that's populated by zombies, who can relate to that? At least Demon's Souls had actual humans. I'd like to see them return to the more gritty medieval style rather than the creepy Alice In Wonderland high fantasy of Dark Souls.

The Dark Souls storyline is incredible. I find it hard to believe that anybody who has explored it for even a moderate amount of time would find it anything less than enthralling.

I'm gonna stop myself before I start spergin' out over all the little hidden details, implications, and nuances.

Orv
May 4, 2011
We like the little incidental stories that you can find in the item descriptions and dialogue and just the stories that the state of the world itself tells. Both games main stories are vaguely similar "Save the world chosen one!" stuff.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

It's more to do with the setting than an actual personal narrative I think. Everything you do and everywhere you go sounds like a ridiculously metal version of Olmec describing the Hidden Temple. It's less of a monomyth and more the exploring of a derelict world, piecing together how it ended.

"If you submit yourself to being buried alive you are taken before the Gravelord, First of the Dead, and given the chance to serve him and destroy the parallel worlds of other heroes."

"Haunted forest guarded by the spirits of The Forest Hunters, led by a trickster cat demigod in order to guard the grave of Artorias the Abysswalker."

"Endless lake of ash formed of the fires of the war between gods and dragons."

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hatter106 posted:

Whatchu talking bout.
Alice in Wonderland High fantasy. Psh.

The Adjudicator is something that exists you know. Demon's souls is more nonsensical in certain aspects than Dark souls.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hatter106 posted:

There are humans in the world, you just don't ever see any, except one. Sieglinde is actually a human, present to try to drag her undead father out. It's implied that if poo poo doesn't get sorted out at Lordran, the rest of the world is kind of hosed. I think you're being reductive in your evaluation, and I don't see why any of the sane undead in Dark Souls are weaker characters than the humans of Demon's Souls.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

It's pretty much the best video game story and it's like Shadow of the Colossus in that it's told in a way that only a video game could tell it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, I was really surprised at how easy the Gaping Dragon was. I went in pretty much blind, aside from getting the hint to use pine resin, and never even had to pop a flask.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I don't know if the thing I was so blown away by in Dark Souls was the story, but rather the world. It had this incredible sense of and age and grandeur, but everything was laced with dread and tragedy. I'm still not too sure what I did during the game other than kill ancient and powerful beings and light myself on fire, but I will never forget how it felt to realize what the water was hiding in New Londo.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There are humans in the world, you just don't ever see any, except one. Sieglinde is actually a human, present to try to drag her undead father out. It's implied that if poo poo doesn't get sorted out at Lordran, the rest of the world is kind of hosed. I think you're being reductive in your evaluation, and I don't see why any of the sane undead in Dark Souls are weaker characters than the humans of Demon's Souls.

Yeah, the massive stone walls you see are a pretty strong indication that the rest of humanity is desperately trying to forestall the inevitable by sequestering the undead in the north.

Plus, look at what happens with {spoiler] Big Hat Logan. Spends his life searching for knowledge, becomes undead and is delighted for the chance to explore Lordran, ends up going insane.[/spoiler]

Lordran is the result of about 100 years of the undead problem. I can only imagine the chaos and strife going on in the rest of the world by this point.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I wish I could understand the criteria by which people rate messages.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I'll return to streaming glory when DS2 is out in the year of our lord 2014.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Internet Kraken posted:

I upvote all messages.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe those are all negative votes.

It's impossible to tell if a rating is positive or negative unless you use the Seek Guidance miracle. Because Dark Souls.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hatter106 posted:

Personally, I did not notice that everyone was a Zombie so much that nearly everyone was goddamned crazy and it was creepy as gently caress.

I need to get back into this game :(

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I saw that yesterday and just had to chuckle. I think there are just some words and phrases people forget exist within the orange soapstone that are surprising to see written, and "Skeleton?" is so non sequitur that it's somehow funny.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

Hatter106 posted:

What? Dark Souls felt way grittier and medieval to me, and Demons Souls was high fantasy with surrealist influences. The most surreal part of Dark Souls was the painted world, which is optional and as hard as the four end areas. The most surreal part of Demon's was in the Shrine of Storms where you use a magic sword to rend the sky and kill a giant flying spear-shooting manta ray

I mean besides the forest (alvina, sif) and painted world pretty much everything in Dark Souls is more low fantasy than Demon's. Limited uses of scrolls of magic, pyromancy, heavier emphasis on knights and kingdoms...

Neither are pure medieval but it just seems weird to me to point toward Demon's as more medieval and less out-there :psyduck:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite was "Beanpole?" next to one of those glowy lamp things near the structures in the Royal Woods.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really loving hate the dude who put "Shortcut Imminent" next to the well in firelink shrine, but love the dude who put "Liar Imminent" directly next to that.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I saw that yesterday and just had to chuckle. I think there are just some words and phrases people forget exist within the orange soapstone that are surprising to see written, and "Skeleton?" is so non sequitur that it's somehow funny.

That being said, I see "Skeleton?" all the time on bridge to Andre. Like, I've gone by maybe four times in my hundreds of hours of playtime and not seen one there, in different locations on the bridge and with different vote totals, but there in some incarnation nonetheless. I've even put my own down when it wasn't there! It's just kind of tradition by this point. V:shobon:V

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Bobby The Rookie posted:

It was the first message you saw when you entered Anor Londo on the PS3 version and it had hundreds of votes.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Cowman posted:

I uploaded it to my Viddler account. I don't know how long it will stay up.

http://www.viddler.com/v/9c5828cf

Thank you for this.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Man, I am just beyond pumped for Dark Souls 2. I never really knew much about Dark Souls going into it other than it was pretty hard and a lot of people liked it. I didn't figure it was going to be one of my favorite games of all time.

I was having such a phenomenally lovely day, too. This is just the news I needed. :allears:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like I need to go on a pure media blackout for DS2, until I actually play the game. But I know that's going to be impossible for me to do.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

The Kins posted:

SAN JOSE, Calif. – December 7, 2012 – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. today proudly announces that the critically acclaimed Dark Souls™ saga marches forward with Dark Souls™ II, currently in development at FromSoftware in Tokyo, Japan. Dark Souls II will continue a legacy of goading its passionate fan base with unrelenting challenge and suffering that are considered a hallmark of the series; while presenting new devilishly devised obstacles for players to overcome. Dark Souls II will be available for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and PCs.

Built upon the foundation established by Souls series creator and Dark Souls II Supervisor, Hidetaka Miyazaki with development helmed by FromSoftware Director Tomohiro Shibuya, Dark Souls II will feature a new hero, a new storyline, and an unfamiliar world for players to survive in while delivering its signature brand of unrelenting punishment that players hunger for. Epic battles with gruesome enemies and blood-thirsty bosses await adventurers as they traverse through a devastated world filled with death and despair; only those who are strong willed or cunning can survive this journey to achieve great glory. Players seeking to share their experience will discover a revamped server-based multiplayer mode that will put a distinct Dark Souls II twist on the concept of playing with others.

“Dark Souls II retains the core essence of Dark Souls while evolving to present new twists and challenges that are sure to please longtime fans and attract new comers to the series,” says Carlson Choi, Vice President of Marketing at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. “FromSoftware is going to take a very dark path with Dark Souls II; players will need to look deep within themselves to see if they have the intestinal fortitude to embark on this journey.”

“This new chapter in the Dark Souls saga presents opportunities for us to drive innovation in gameplay design, develop an entirely new story, and expand the scope of the world in which the player interacts with the game. We have taken these necessary steps with Dark Souls II in order to evolve the overall experience of the Dark Souls series,” says Tomohiro Shibuya, FromSoftware Director on Dark Souls II. “The entire development team is striving to make Dark Souls II an experience that is fresh while not forsaking its roots in presenting players with challenging gameplay. Our goal is to surprise and delight our fans with new experiences and plot twists while enticing new players to join our dark journey.”

Bolded the best part.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

After watching the trailer again, I'm calling it now. Co-op.

Ok. Probably not. But it's still going to be great.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I hope they do have full time co-op. We've had two games with the "The world is against you" aesthetic. Now it's time for a "The world against your team".

This also should give them the just cause to put the loving screws to us and force us to survive in some nightmare hell existence.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 8, 2012

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I want full time co-op so bad. My favorite dark souls experiences were co op, it'd be so great to have a whole game like that.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

evilentity posted:

Great. DS2, Ive played DS for like 2 hours, I just could not stand that 25 fps...
With some luck we will get proper port. Shame about GFWL tho.

I honestly can't believe people like you really exist

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

what the gently caress dark souls 2?! I can't believe how excited I am for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If anything the GFWL just adds to the atmosphere. Carefully exploring a decaying, nearly abandoned wasteland that's tenuously held together. The two go together hand and hand.

• Locked thread