Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Some of my best experiences were also co-op, but I also feel like those experiences wouldn't be anywhere near as special if it had traditional full co-op with selectable partners. The main reason why they were special was because we did awesome things together in areas I was struggling against on my own, with a complete stranger. Every time you do co-op with someone in what isn't just a mindless boss run, it feels like a bizarre bonding experience.

Basically, by making co-op a mundane and easy thing to do, I feel like it would greatly cheapen the crazy fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Basically, by making co-op a mundane and easy thing to do, I feel like it would greatly cheapen the crazy fun of it.

You should be able to directly invite people on your friends list into your game. That is literally the only change I'd make to the way Dark Souls co-op works.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Death Cube K posted:

You should be able to directly invite people on your friends list into your game. That is literally the only change I'd make to the way Dark Souls co-op works.

I enjoy co-op with pals too, but I really don't think that style of selective co-op is really the direction that Souls should head in. To each his own, though.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

If they put in that kind of co-op, they should also add friendly fire.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Earlier I was wondering if Dark Souls II was going to be set right after the first one, and I had a crazy idea.

You know what would be cool? In order to settle the question of which ending was canon, the answer would be both of them. Lordran's got some serious time rift problems, and maybe that would spread to the rest of the world as well– the player would be traveling between the reality of the Age of Dark and that of Fire Reborn in their quest, like a more grim version of A Link To The Past with a bit of the World Tendency system from Demon's Souls mixed in. One moment everything's normal, then bam! Astora Castle is now The Dark Lord's Palace.

However, it doesn't look like it's going to be that way, but it was a neat thought of mine.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'll settle for a rehash of Dark Souls covenant-style multiplayer options so long as they all actually work more often than not.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Haven't checked every bit of information, but is Miyazaki involved? Got some rumours from the Dark Souls wiki sites that try to nitpick on the wording of some phrases to prove our magnificent troll won't have anything to do with the sequel.

Sequel to the best game ever and there's already fans trying to say it will be horrible. :wtc:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Azran posted:

Haven't checked every bit of information, but is Miyazaki involved? Got some rumours from the Dark Souls wiki sites that try to nitpick on the wording of some phrases to prove our magnificent troll won't have anything to do with the sequel.

Sequel to the best game ever and there's already fans trying to say it will be horrible. :wtc:

Yes he is. Press release said he's the Dark Souls II Supervisor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Azran posted:

The official press release says Miyazaki is again heading up the project.

Who's saying it will be horrible? I haven't seen anything but excitement.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Snoop Rocket posted:

Now we're cooking with gas.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

Spiderfist Island posted:

Earlier I was wondering if Dark Souls II was going to be set right after the first one, and I had a crazy idea.

You know what would be cool? In order to settle the question of which ending was canon, the answer would be both of them. Lordran's got some serious time rift problems, and maybe that would spread to the rest of the world as well– the player would be traveling between the reality of the Age of Dark and that of Fire Reborn in their quest, like a more grim version of A Link To The Past with a bit of the World Tendency system from Demon's Souls mixed in. One moment everything's normal, then bam! Astora Castle is now The Dark Lord's Palace.

However, it doesn't look like it's going to be that way, but it was a neat thought of mine.

That would be cool. Now that I think of it, Dark Souls is like a medieval Matrix and we're all Neos.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.

Snoop Rocket posted:

I'd be down with this 100%.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

If Dark Souls 2 is anything less than a nightmarish hell-world that hates you, I will be disappointed.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Death Cube K posted:

I'd be down with this 100%.

"Sorry man, I didn't see you standing there - my gigantic axe blocked my vision". :getin:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I've just started playing Dark Souls (gently caress the Capra Demon) and I'm already unbelievably hyped for 2. I've forsaken Far Cry 3 and Hitman Absolution to play more Dark Souls. Everything in the game hates you so much but that satisfaction of winning is something that I haven't felt in a video game in years.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Snoop Rocket posted:

If you were truly my ally, you wouldn't have been hurt by the Wrath of God.

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

Grondoth posted:

If you were truly my ally, you wouldn't have been hurt by the Wrath of God.

That awkward moment when you're a Blade of the Darkmoon and your friend is a sinner.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I get not having direct coop work due to kind of game they are making, but I think it'd be cool if say after your first playthrough more options to make online play easier open up to you. I mean people already go through ridiculous hoops to make stuff happen with their friends in Dark Souls on subsequent playthroughs, they'll do it in Dark Souls 2 as well.

I doubt coop will be any easier from this trailer though. From what little we see, there is a guy who travels far and dies alone again and again. Sounds like the Dark Souls we all know.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The official press release says Miyazaki is again heading up the project.

Who's saying it will be horrible? I haven't seen anything but excitement.

To be fair, it does say that he's just supervising and that he isn't actually directing this time. I'm not saying it's right to take that and run with it into "this is gonna suck" territory, but I wonder how that'll affect the direction of the new game.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

redmercer posted:

I honestly can't believe people like you really exist

The PC version made a lot of Dark Souls haters, what with its utter lack of polish, I was one of them and if it weren't for this trailer, I'd probably stay that way.

Fortunately, the DSFix works flawlessly and not only makes mouse + keyboard actually viable, it makes the game prettier and smoother.

I'm gonna donate to this DSFix guy, for sure.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Death Cube K posted:

You know, I wouldn't be against this if:

You had to have beaten the game first, or

You had to spend a lot of (covenant) hand ins to get an item that allowed you to do it.

Make inviteable co-op a Sun Bros thing, even.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

SNARF SNARF SNARF posted:

The PC version made a lot of Dark Souls haters, what with its utter lack of polish, I was one of them and if it weren't for this trailer, I'd probably stay that way.

Fortunately, the DSFix works flawlessly and not only makes mouse + keyboard actually viable, it makes the game prettier and smoother.

Can you sit through a movie at the theatre without ripping your eyes out? (24 FPS!) I just want to know how people wind up so goddamn Lemongrab

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So now when I launch the game it won't start anymore. A large window pops up and instead of going to fullscreen it just stays there black screen and all.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hatter106 posted:

I'm surprised to hear people loved Dark Souls' story, I found it was much weaker than Demon's Souls. Everyone was some sort of undead, the only sympathetic character was the fire maiden and she was barely in it. You're fighting for a land founded by gods that's populated by zombies, who can relate to that? At least Demon's Souls had actual humans. I'd like to see them return to the more gritty medieval style rather than the creepy Alice In Wonderland high fantasy of Dark Souls.

But either way, still gonna buy it!

Lmao if you seriously consider Dark Souls aesthetically high fantasy rather than gothic.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

redmercer posted:

Can you sit through a movie at the theatre without ripping your eyes out? (24 FPS!) I just want to know how people wind up so goddamn Lemongrab

24 is pretty noticeable compared to 60 or even 30 when you're directly controlling the environment, especially in a game that sometimes requires a mere second-long reaction.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Requested_Username posted:

Lmao if you seriously consider Dark Souls aesthetically high fantasy rather than gothic.

It does feel closer to high fantasy than Demon's Souls was, at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

It's perfectly playable without DSFix if you spend a minute rebinding the keys. It is by no means a good port but it's not as bad as people make it out to be. I've been playing with a keyboard since I bought it without DSFix and doing just fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The port would only make you a hater if you're too stupid to find out how to fix the port, and by association probably too stupid to beat Dark Souls.

So hey, whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

24 is pretty noticeable compared to 60 or even 30 when you're directly controlling the environment, especially in a game that sometimes requires a mere second-long reaction.

I know exactly what you're saying and agree, but I'd also say that Dark Souls is a pretty middle framerate friendly game. I usually get a consistent 30FPS and it doesn't feel limiting at all.

Orv posted:

The port would only make you a hater if you're too stupid to find out how to fix the port, and by association probably too stupid to beat Dark Souls.

So hey, whatever.

Stupidity has nothing to do with it. The media has said that the game controls terribly with keyboard and mouse. Everyone mentioned DSFix but hardly anyone in the press mentioned the mouse fix mod. If the press tells you that mouse support sucks, and your friends tell you mouse support sucks, you'll believe it sucks and write the game off, it's only natural.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Fair enough. I'd take issue with the idea of people hating it then. At least for that reason.

But hey, Dark Souls 2, hopefully in-built not-poo poo mouse support.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012

Orv posted:

So hey, whatever.

When I first bought the game on release launch, there was no such thing as a mouse fix. And I didn't keep up with Dark Souls because I had other poo poo to do.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So why not just play without the mouse? :confused:

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

I guess every review and dev comment on the game leading up to release saying "strongly recommended to use a gamepad" should have just said "don't buy this game if you don't have one" instead.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Except it is actually playable with a mouse and keyboard with DSFix, and discouraging people who don't have a gamepad is a bad idea.

I didn't have one when I started playing. Now I do, and I play most of my games with it, but if somebody had told me it was completely unplayable with KB+M, I would never have bought it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Every other game: janky PC port is inexcusable and reflective of the way in which developers are ignoring the PC in favor of dumbed-down console game for babbies

Dark Souls: if you don't like the janky PC port you're stupid

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Every other game: janky PC port is inexcusable and reflective of the way in which developers are ignoring the PC in favor of dumbed-down console game for babbies

Dark Souls: if you don't like the janky PC port you're literally stupid

This is actually what I believe.

it is possible to like a game that was ported badly and not like the fact that the port is not better

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Except it is actually playable with a mouse and keyboard with DSFix, and discouraging people who don't have a gamepad is a bad idea.

I didn't have one when I started playing. Now I do, and I play most of my games with it, but if somebody had told me it was completely unplayable with KB+M, I would never have bought it.

That was my point. I'm glad a fix was made, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Dark Souls: if you don't like the janky PC port you're stupid

Alright, alright, excessive hyperbole on my part, but my main idea is the same. You shouldn't hate a game because of a bad port if you can fix it with five minutes work.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Orv posted:

Alright, alright, excessive hyperbole on my part, but my main idea is the same. You shouldn't hate a game because of a bad port if you can fix it with five minutes work.

Saints Row 2: Still completely fuckbusted by this standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Country_Blumpkin
Aug 6, 2011

What other issues do people have aside from the fps lock and the kbm stuff?

• Locked thread