Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Segmentation Fault posted:

I disagree. BSUAJ:G was all about the clashing art styles, the recolored megaman sprites and lovely photoshops of b-balls on zombies. It committed to its non-commitment, and it perfectly matched the game's ridiculous yet self-serious mishmash of b-ball trivia and JRPG story format.

Still has JPEG artifacts, now that's commitment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

One of the problems is that games like that Penny Arcade one don't commit to their aesthetic. So you end up with a jarring and ugly combination of 16 bit graphics and impossible and terrible looking portraits. And the art they do make is so incredibly derivative of the FF games that there's a pretty good chance that they directly copied a lot of the sprites and colors, and simply recolored and/or slightly altered them.

BSUAJ:G also didn't commit to its look, but it was a freeware game and was otherwise really good, so I gave it a pass. It appears that Barkley 2 is completely committed to the 16-bit RPG look. On top of that, they are going for a unique aesthetic in terms of both environment and character design, so it still feels fresh. It's retro pixel art done right.

edit: Actually, I'd say that Barkley 2 has more of a 32-bit PS1 2D RPG look. But I guess my point is that it is completely consistent and doesn't seem to ever betray its aesthetic.
I'm not sure how fair this comparison is, isn't the Barkley 2 team significantly larger than Zeboyd (which is all of two dudes)?

edit: I thought Sealark did a good job with pixel art, especially considering that it's being made by two developers: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1338986832/sealark-an-oceanic-adventure-game

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 7, 2012

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
But will Chicken Fry and Ecto-Cooler be back in the second one?

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Put in $10. Seriously can't wait for this. Going to replay Barkley 1 again.

Also find it hilarious that Tale's of Games sees Mecc Software as their biggest rival.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 8, 2012

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
got bored and turned the battle victory music into a loop http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6861812/_victoryloop.mp3 and converted the short spacejam loop http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6861812/_spaceshort.mp3 already in the game to mp3 for ringtones. time to retire the saints row 3 tone.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So close to Nightmare City. I can nearly taste it.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm super excited about the Extra Hidden Play Mode's that we have unlocked. Come onnnn, Nightmare City!

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
The kickstarter has surpassed $69,420.00 in funds. Time to close this thread and throw it in the goldmine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Clayren posted:

The kickstarter has surpassed $69,420.00 in funds. Time to close this thread and throw it in the goldmine.

Why? The kickstarter ain't over yet :getin: lets go all the way to 70k baybee.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, we still can't demand they wear pants.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Barkley 1 was great. I decided to go for the game pack, since I am curious what ToG style will do to other genres. My friends and I probably got at least $60 worth of entertainment out of the first game, so I don't think I'll have any regrets.

If there's going to be some kind of save import system, I guess I have an excuse to replay Barkley after finals are over. Nice.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BiggerJ posted:

I've been thinking - we've come to the consensus here that the Hoopz Barkley SaGa proved that Game Maker is suitable for RPGs, but during the Demon Rush debacle, I think everyone came to the opposite conclusion in the face of what is such a terrible game from a technical standpoint.

The Demon Rush is exactly why docfuture would make a perfect contributor to this game. Remember this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhWmboM0zFc

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

PonchAxis posted:

Why? The kickstarter ain't over yet :getin: lets go all the way to 70k baybee.

I think you missed the joke bud!!!!!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think you missed the joke bud!!!!!

Joke's were outlawed in this thread after the Chaos joke...

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Did some predicting using R and it looks like we'll hit our goal of forcing ToG's to wear pants. 75k looks to be achievable given current trends.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pants are like shoes for your legs.

Lot of bigoted pants people here. Makes you wonder about the influence of Levis + the rest of Big Pant.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

printf posted:

Did some predicting using R and it looks like we'll hit our goal of forcing ToG's to wear pants. 75k looks to be achievable given current trends.

$100K looks to be achievable given current trends.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

KickTraq is predicting using a simple linear extension of the last day; it's pretty clear that donations are tapering off exponentially so unless there's a lot more media hype, it's very unlikely this will break 100k.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
There's usually a pretty big push at the end, though, with people who held off on backing making last second donations and a return to media prominence with websites and forums talking about how it's ending soon.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
Didn't someone LP Demon Rush? It's not in the LP archive so I guess nobody bothered to put it in there.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Finally Nightmare City won't just be where I go every night when I sleep, it'll be in my new favorite vidcon too.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

We're now only 3000 or so dollars away from forcing them to wear pants. Also, Nightmare city is in.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

I've been thinking - we've come to the consensus here that the Hoopz Barkley SaGa proved that Game Maker is suitable for RPGs, but during the Demon Rush debacle, I think everyone came to the opposite conclusion in the face of what is such a terrible game from a technical standpoint.

Game Maker has definite engine weaknesses but is very solid if you can work around them. Hell, Eternal Daughter was made in Multimedia Fusion a long-rear end time ago, back when it was overall pretty bad and buggy, and that too is a gorgeous, high-quality game. I'll bet The D barely, if at all, dabbled in GML scripting to compensate for the weaknesses of the drag-and-drop system, whereas cboyardee and his team spent time immersing themselves in the logic to create a fun, interactive battle system that actually worked extremely well for part 1, and a drat cool looking action RPG system for the upcoming game.

It's art through adversity - people who put in the effort even when it's difficult will always have a better final product.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Heti posted:

Didn't someone LP Demon Rush? It's not in the LP archive so I guess nobody bothered to put it in there.
Yes, but you'll need archives to view the thread, and all of the pictures have died, but it's here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925321

But why watch an LP when you can experience it yourself? Apparently the game is now free.

http://www.dragoon.ca/tdr.html

Wow, it turns out that dude is still making and selling terrible games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

H2Omelon posted:

Yes, but you'll need archives to view the thread, and all of the pictures have died, but it's here:

But why watch an LP when you can experience it yourself? Apparently the game is now free.

Ew, the newest one looks like something MDickie would poo poo out of his gaping holy anus.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

H2Omelon posted:

Aw that sucks, thanks anyway. No way am I playing that piece of poo poo.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Cybershell posted:

Finally Nightmare City won't just be where I go every night when I sleep, it'll be in my new favorite vidcon too.

And the true-doom murderheads rejoiced across the land.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

H2Omelon posted:

"Winters of Discontent" is a pretty hilarious sub-title. He's been digging around the rejects pile for Castlevania names.

Keep this racy title out of the young ones' hands, folks, it contains sexual themes.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

If you guys break 100k, I expect cooperative multiplayer. And for any hats you might sell, flexfit is a must.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

avoraciopoctules posted:

Barkley 1 was great. I decided to go for the game pack, since I am curious what ToG style will do to other genres. My friends and I probably got at least $60 worth of entertainment out of the first game, so I don't think I'll have any regrets.

This is probably not how you want to spend your Saturday night, but Frankie, our artist and a dude I've worked on a billion games with, told me that he's going to be streaming some of the ToG game pack stuff tonight. I'll post again when he starts, but you can subscribe to him to get notifications when he starts too.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly
So yeah, Frankie's streaming right now. He's polishing up one of the games in the ToG game pack, so it's not super interesting Barkley 2 stuff but it's always pretty fascinating to watch him work. He also picks the weirdest times to stream, he's probably going to be on until like 4:00 AM. Tune in if you're interested!

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Heti posted:

The only part about the game that I remember from the LP is that it turned out Brooks Cracktackle was only in the game for like 20 minutes before he got killed. RIP Brooks Cracktackle.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
Frankie is pretty hardcore, still going at it almost 6 hours later, with cool Italian progressive rock in the background.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Is there an ETA for the vidcon pack? Also, which GZStorm games will be on it?

Edit: Also, is there an ETA for the patch to Barkley 1 you mentioned on Twitter?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Dec 9, 2012

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Chef Boyardee posted:

he's probably going to be on until like 4:00 AM.

6:30 AM.

Chef Boyardee
Oct 25, 2007

freindly

BiggerJ posted:

Is there an ETA for the vidcon pack? Also, which GZStorm games will be on it?

Edit: Also, is there an ETA for the patch to Barkley 1 you mentioned on Twitter?

The vidcon pack is going to come out pretty soon after the Kickstarter is over. We're working on a launcher for it now and it's looking pretty polished. The only thing that might hold it back is that we keep adding games to it, but expect it very soon after the Kickstarter is done.

Also, the patch that I think you're talking about (the changes to the Mac version) has already been applied.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Finally finished the original game. :stare: How did I miss this when it came up? Nonetheless, I feel that joy which is the urge... the -Sentiment-. Perhaps... I truly am a doom-murder head.

I found the different character mechanics to be fun, diverse, and easily picked up - like, it was pretty clear that if the purpose of the game was to be anything resembling 'balanced' it would have been far past the rack and run of what I'm used to seeing in game's. Perhaps even matching Arc the Lad 2.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice
$71,000 now. Looks like you're going to have to come up with some new stretch goals soon.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Little Abigail posted:

$71,000 now. Looks like you're going to have to come up with some new stretch goals soon.

They're running out of room for all those skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Chef Boyardee posted:

The vidcon pack is going to come out pretty soon after the Kickstarter is over. We're working on a launcher for it now and it's looking pretty polished. The only thing that might hold it back is that we keep adding games to it, but expect it very soon after the Kickstarter is done.

So, will there be a way to just buy the vidcon pack if you're not able to donate for the goal to get it?