Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I like my mishimoto one. Its bigger than stock, and ya their radiator caps kinda suck but they seem to replace it if you need it. Also everything bolted up perfectly, so that surprised me a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Just want to say that I got my car running!

Took the engine out of the black (rolled) car, swapped heads on it with nicer ones I had, changed seals, some clutch bearings etc, had to swap strut assemblies over and brakes, whole exhaust, and other bits. Basically I took my white car, which was a parts car with no engine or transmission, and turned it into a daily driver.

I started it up tonight with no problem whatsoever and it runs fantastic, with no glaring leaks that I could find. I'm so happy to not only have a car again, but a Subaru! Plus this has been my biggest project to date, and it went fairly smooth. So stoked.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I have a 1800radiator radiator and have had no issues with my wrx.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I put a deposit down on a unicorn. It popped up 10 minutes away from me and I'd been looking for a 9-2x for awhile.

2006 9-2x, black, 103k miles, 5 speed, HID's, leather, all stock. One owner, dealer maintained, in amazing shape inside and out.

CEL is on for secondary air pump and it needs the timing belt done. Jamal, what can you do for me? :) For the air pump, I'm thinking of just finding somebody to turn off the diagnostic for it/block it off. Only plans so far are downpipe, tune, and maybe some suspension stuff and a better head unit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I ordered some block off plates not too long ago but haven't bothered to do the job myself yet. Seems like it might be a relatively large pain in the rear end.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

DreamOn13 posted:

I put a deposit down on a unicorn. It popped up 10 minutes away from me and I'd been looking for a 9-2x for awhile.

2006 9-2x, black, 103k miles, 5 speed, HID's, leather, all stock. One owner, dealer maintained, in amazing shape inside and out.

CEL is on for secondary air pump and it needs the timing belt done. Jamal, what can you do for me? :) For the air pump, I'm thinking of just finding somebody to turn off the diagnostic for it/block it off. Only plans so far are downpipe, tune, and maybe some suspension stuff and a better head unit.

In my opinion it's easiest to wait until the air pump is closed (hopefully it does close, and isn't stuck open), pull the fuse, and tune it out. I ended up getting a tactrix cable for this very reason. I reset the code, went for a couple drives and didn't come back and the car was also making boost fine and pulled the fuse then. On the 2007 WRX/STi it is easy enough to get to the one air pump location but on the 2006 one is a pain in the rear end.

VVVVV: that's what I did.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 7, 2012

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hollis Brown posted:

In my opinion it's easiest to wait until the air pump is closed (hopefully it does close, and isn't stuck open), pull the fuse, and tune it out. I ended up getting a tactrix cable for this very reason. I reset the code, went for a couple drives and didn't come back and the car was also making boost fine and pulled the fuse then. On the 2007 WRX/STi it is easy enough to get to the one air pump location but on the 2006 one is a pain in the rear end.

Right now the code it's throwing is P2441 which the PO said means "Secondary air valve stuck closed." So I guess check one more time, pull the fuse and then clear it out?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Upgraded from my GC 2.5RS to a 2002 WRX with 77,500 miles. lovely cell phone pic with my dad's MS3.

Just a few little problems, the up pipe is leaking, but no CEL and it passed inspection/emissions just fine. Does the OEM up pipe for 02-06 WRX all fit the '02?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Neptr posted:

Just a few little problems, the up pipe is leaking, but no CEL and it passed inspection/emissions just fine. Does the OEM up pipe for 02-06 WRX all fit the '02?

Get a catless sti up pipe

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Looks liek my hand is being forced and I have to get the WRX going again. gently caress, where am I going to find the time........?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Cat Terrist posted:

Looks liek my hand is being forced and I have to get the WRX going again. gently caress, where am I going to find the time........?

However will you go on? Goondolances :sympathy:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Amandyke posted:

However will you go on? Goondolances :sympathy:

Buy wrecked Subaru No 9 and do the fastest swap in my life.

Or stop with the plan for No 8 to be the next race car and swap that. You can not register a Spec C in Australia. But no one ever said you cant swap the hot bits into a ADM........

Oooooh I like this idea a lot.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Neptr posted:

Upgraded from my GC 2.5RS to a 2002 WRX with 77,500 miles. lovely cell phone pic with my dad's MS3.

Nice score! I have an 02 TS wagon in Sedona Red...it seems to be an unusual colour around here. Also, I initially thought that this picture of was your old car next to the new, until I remembered what a GC 2.5RS was (not some kind of Mazda with a hood scoop).

AlexanderCarrillo
Nov 27, 2012
I have a 2 month old 2013 Subaru WRX with the basic head unit that I feel is probably the worst part of the car. Now, I'm probably not going to end up doing this, but could I upgrade to the 6.1-inch touch screen GPS unit through my dealership?

I know, I know. If I can it's probably going to be expensive and there are way better aftermarket head units for far less. I'd just like to know if I can and the what the process for that is. Also, if anyone has the 6-inch screen, how is it?

Again, more than likely not going this route.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Amandyke posted:

Get a catless sti up pipe

I'm not really looking for more power; I want to run in the stock class for auto-x which limits my modifications to a catback, struts, and one swaybar. Or is this more because of the precat coming lose and destroying the turbo that someone mentioned last page? Will I need to get a tune or delete a CEL if I go with the STi catless uppipe?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm going to have to demand pictures of the inside of your house at this point. I'm wondering if there is any living space left.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Neptr posted:

IOr is this more because of the precat coming lose and destroying the turbo that someone mentioned last page?

That's why. It will cause a CEL but it can be fixed with a resistor or presumably with tuning software although I'm not 100% sure about the software angle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Viggen posted:

I'm going to have to demand pictures of the inside of your house at this point. I'm wondering if there is any living space left.
House? House? You don't get it, do you?!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Seat Safety Switch posted:

House? House? You don't get it, do you?!

"This ones' the guest car.. that WRX is for entertaining family, and over here, the Baja ute? Thats the pool when it rains!"

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AlexanderCarrillo posted:

I have a 2 month old 2013 Subaru WRX with the basic head unit that I feel is probably the worst part of the car. Now, I'm probably not going to end up doing this, but could I upgrade to the 6.1-inch touch screen GPS unit through my dealership?

I know, I know. If I can it's probably going to be expensive and there are way better aftermarket head units for far less. I'd just like to know if I can and the what the process for that is. Also, if anyone has the 6-inch screen, how is it?

Again, more than likely not going this route.

I just went through the process of replacing my basic headunit with an aftermarket one and it actually improved the sound of the stock speakers a decent bit (I replaced them anyway.) No idea about replacing it with the nav version, but upgrading the headunit would have been well worth it even without doing anything else.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Try this quick fix in the mean time, it says premium but it worked on my 2011 base model stereo and improved the sound a lot: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=38435221&postcount=37

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's really interesting. I'd wondered why everything sounded so much better with the new headunit and nothing else—didn't seem like it should have made much difference at all. Stupid stock EQ settings explain a lot.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I replaced the headunit in my 99 Ford Contour and found a huge difference there. I would wager that 90% of cars on the market could be noticeably improved by just replacing the headunit.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

Roman Rambo posted:

That's why. It will cause a CEL but it can be fixed with a resistor or presumably with tuning software although I'm not 100% sure about the software angle.

Not strictly true, if you keep the sensor in the uppipe then you do not need the resistor mod. But yes it is purely a reliability mod as you no longer have a cat right before your turbo just biding its time to break loose and destroy the impeller.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The sensor in the catted up-pipe is an EGT that is only there to check and see if the cat is working. The later cars without a cat don't even have the sensor. The easiest way to get rid of the cel is to just stick a resistor in the connector and wrap it in tape. If you go with an aftermarket up-pipe that has the bung you are better off just plugging it.

The cheapest replacement is just a stock catless up-pipe but sometimes they can be a hassle. The studs tend to get stuck and/or stripped plus heat shields usually come loose and rattle. An aftermarket up-pipe goes for anywhere from 150-300.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The one that I have is in excellent shape. And its for sale, pm if interested.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So my significant other's Crosstek Limited that she ordered back in October finally came into the dealership and I'm heading over there in a few minutes to pick it up with her.

Since she placed the order though I did a little research into the invoice price for her car on Edmunds and discovered there's about a $1700 difference between invoice and MSRP, the True Market Value they have listed is ~$900 above Invoice ($26,117 for invoice, $27,077 for TMV, $27,860 for MSRP).

My quick question is... how much negotiating power do you actually have when your car is already at the dealer lot? I told her she should have talked to the sales guy a month ago and told him what she was expecting to pay. Hoping she can save at least $500-$1000 but not sure how realistic it is for a car that is as in-demand as the Crosstek.

Does anyone have any advice for new-car shopping? What should I tell her to ask for?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

MMD3 posted:

So my significant other's Crosstek Limited that she ordered back in October finally came into the dealership and I'm heading over there in a few minutes to pick it up with her.

Since she placed the order though I did a little research into the invoice price for her car on Edmunds and discovered there's about a $1700 difference between invoice and MSRP, the True Market Value they have listed is ~$900 above Invoice ($26,117 for invoice, $27,077 for TMV, $27,860 for MSRP).

My quick question is... how much negotiating power do you actually have when your car is already at the dealer lot? I told her she should have talked to the sales guy a month ago and told him what she was expecting to pay. Hoping she can save at least $500-$1000 but not sure how realistic it is for a car that is as in-demand as the Crosstek.

Does anyone have any advice for new-car shopping? What should I tell her to ask for?

Unless you have already signed the financing paperwork then there is nothing forcing you to pay for the car other than the refundable deposit you put down. By all means play hard ball on the price. You could have a wrx for that price...

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
I've been doing some research into a boost gauge, but there's so much out there it's hard to narrow down.

Any suggestions?

I'm tempted to do an electronic one over a mechanical one since I'd eventually like to design an LCD interface and I could reuse the sensor. I know these exist too, but what I can buy for $200-300 I can build for nearly free with parts I already have.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've got a Defi gauge, it matches the red color of the dashboard identically.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've always liked Pro-Comp and Stack but those are pricey.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The Pro-sport knockoff Defi gauges are surprisingly nice.

How much Extra S should I buy to do a 99 OBS 5 speed? I also should probably do the diffs, what goes in them?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
5-speeds take 3.5 qts, rear diff 0.8 qt. I wouldn't bother with the rear diff. I probably also wouldn't spring for Extra-S, I put in Redline 75W90NS.

On the VLSD rear end the oil doesn't touch the diff parts anyway and is only used for a viscous transfer medium. I would imagine the open is similarly sealed.

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Or stop with the plan for No 8 to be the next race car and swap that. You can not register a Spec C in Australia. But no one ever said you cant swap the hot bits into a ADM........

Oooooh I like this idea a lot.

Theres always a cheap GC8 or two with a little damage every week at the auctions down here, I'm sure that you guys get even more up there (albeit probably a bit more wog spec).

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Boost gauges are fairly far down the list for gauges for me. I like coolant temp and oil pressure before that. If you have changed a bunch of parts and have an aftermarket turbo and boost controller it's a good idea though.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

kaws! posted:

Theres always a cheap GC8 or two with a little damage every week at the auctions down here, I'm sure that you guys get even more up there (albeit probably a bit more wog spec).

Don't tell me this means what I think it means...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Captain McAllister posted:

Don't tell me this means what I think it means...

22 inch chromies, fart cannon, lowered till it cant get over a pebble, horrid body kit and purple with a huge Croydon Autosports sticker on the back window and a red canary on the front?

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Cat Terrist posted:

22 inch chromies, fart cannon, lowered till it cant get over a pebble, horrid body kit and purple with a huge Croydon Autosports sticker on the back window and a red canary on the front?

I sent you a PM, my wreck should be a good source of parts. (I might even be willing to buy some off you if I have any money spare from my payout.)

Picked up my new car today. Somewhat similar to what I had before but it needs more work on chassis bracing/slightly hardening the suspension.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
So my Legacy GT has acting weird, every once in a while when coming to a stop (and usually in 1st gear) the car feels slightly like it wants to stall but then it goes back to 900 rpm and stays there, is very odd because it doesn't happen always.

No CELL so far, car feels as strong as ever, I *Think* I feel the car vibrate when accelerating at 2,000 rpms, it could be in my head tho.

Also happens sometimes when cold on first start, if I let it warm when shifting to D it does the same thing, RPM's go to the 300's the car shakes a bit and the goes to 900 for a smooth idle the rest of the way.

Is funny because my B4 did almost the same thing but a bit more jarring, my friend with a stock Spec C said he had the same problem and so is his USDM 2002 bug eye, bone stock.

So this a Subaru thing or is there anything I can do to fix it? online search said a mountain of crap from driveshafts to blown engines. Any ideas?

mulligan fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hillridge posted:

I've been doing some research into a boost gauge, but there's so much out there it's hard to narrow down.

Any suggestions?

I'm tempted to do an electronic one over a mechanical one since I'd eventually like to design an LCD interface and I could reuse the sensor. I know these exist too, but what I can buy for $200-300 I can build for nearly free with parts I already have.

Have you looked at the vent boost gauge? I installed one in my spec.b and it looks factory. very nice product.

http://gaugetek.wix.com/vbg1