Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
I transcribed the newspaper article because I thought the text would be too small to read in the screenshots. For future ones, I'll just post the screenshots anyways, but crop them too to make it easier to read.

I think you're right on making my commentary stand out, and I'll be either using italics or bolding it.

As for the lacking punctuation, it's mostly because I transcribed the things straight, without doing editing, such as adding punctuation and the like. I figure this is because of the translation. I'll go back and edit in punctuation and the like when I can.

As for the video, I really wish I knew how to do imagelinks, and how to make my own. I was thinking of including a Title for every update, and maybe a :siren: next to every video.

EDIT: Since titles of works are in Italics already, I think I'm gonna go with underlined instead. Or is that too distracting?

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
code:
[url=http://www.youtube.com][img]http://i.imgur.com/A8LW1.jpg[/img][/url]

Like this.

As far as underlined goes, try it out in a testpost and see for yourself, but I think it's a bit distracting.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'd say if you think it's a must-watch video, a :siren: or :ducksiren: would be the perfect thing for it. It catches the eye, to me, better than a bold or underlined word. Image links would also work pretty well, too, but it's up to you what you want to do.

Personally, I'd say :ducksiren: would be best, but I also have a bit of a personal attachment to it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

bunnyofdoom posted:

As for the lacking punctuation, it's mostly because I transcribed the things straight, without doing editing, such as adding punctuation and the like. I figure this is because of the translation. I'll go back and edit in punctuation and the like when I can.

EDIT: Since titles of works are in Italics already, I think I'm gonna go with underlined instead. Or is that too distracting?

Yeah I realize the game didn't add punctuation to all its subtitles, but we don't get to hear the voice acting so we need the punctuation to clue us in on how the line is read. Also don't be afraid to include more than one full-size screenshot within a given conversation if a guy's facial expression or body language changes. You did this with constable Humphries and it works well. You may also want a couple different headshots for Holmes and Watson to use if one of them is angry or surprised or whatever.

Personally I don't mind if its in italics, bold, or in underlines, just as long as it's consistent and a way to tell it's your commentary instead of character dialogue.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

my dad posted:

code:
[url=http://www.youtube.com][timg]http://i.imgur.com/A8LW1.jpg[/timg][/url]

Like this.

As far as underlined goes, try it out in a testpost and see for yourself, but I think it's a bit distracting.

O holy poo poo. O holy loving poo poo.

I am now waiting for a context where I could use this. Mother of balls that is cool.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I realize the game didn't add punctuation to all its subtitles, but we don't get to hear the voice acting so we need the punctuation to clue us in on how the line is read. Also don't be afraid to include more than one full-size screenshot within a given conversation if a guy's facial expression or body language changes. You did this with constable Humphries and it works well. You may also want a couple different headshots for Holmes and Watson to use if one of them is angry or surprised or whatever.

Personally I don't mind if its in italics, bold, or in underlines, just as long as it's consistent and a way to tell it's your commentary instead of character dialogue.

Unfortunatly, unless it's an FMV, the facial expressions don't change much, and the body language is always a bit jerky and odd.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Crap, misclick! Ignore!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
bunnyofdoom: You say that you intend to LP all of the games in Frogware's Sherlock Holmes collection. The elephant in the room, of course, is that another, current-gen Sherlock Holmes game was released this year. Is it your intention to go through that game too, in like two years?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

JT Jag posted:

bunnyofdoom: You say that you intend to LP all of the games in Frogware's Sherlock Holmes collection. The elephant in the room, of course, is that another, current-gen Sherlock Holmes game was released this year. Is it your intention to go through that game too, in like two years?

Yes. Was going to make it a surprise after I did all the 6 in the collection

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I probably won't be the last person to mention it, but I won't bring it up in the thread, then.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Magic All The Way Down - Let's Play Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

I didn't get much of a response last time I posted this, but I'm trying a screenshot let's play of AoW:SM and need to make sure I'm on the right track for it.

Test for the OP.
Test for an update sample.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VivaVizer posted:

I’ve actually never finished a horror game before. I never even finished HL2 because of headcrabs jumping out or not jumping out was freaking me out. Fundamentally, I’m not purposely trying to fake fear or confusion.

Okay, now I genuinely want to see you do try HL2. I'm not saying it to be cruel or anything, I just think it'd be interesting to see since you're (again, no offense meant here) pretty much the only person in the world yet to finish it, so it could be nice to see it through fresh eyes.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
So, I did basic editing of the transcripts, made my comments more visible with an underline, and subbed an imagelink in for the video

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9458

Thoughts?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DangerDan posted:

Magic All The Way Down - Let's Play Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

I didn't get much of a response last time I posted this, but I'm trying a screenshot let's play of AoW:SM and need to make sure I'm on the right track for it.

Test for the OP.
Test for an update sample.

Awesome, Age of Wonders! Do you get to play as the shadow demons in this one?

- Text immediately after a screenshot is hard to read. Better to add a line break.
- I'd definitely add graphic help (arrows etc.) and reduce the number of similar screenshots, e.g. in small-area operations, battles etc. Full battle SSs are fun every once in a while, but that's usually what kills SSLPs for me: when I can't be arsed to read the text because I skip loads and loads of screenshots. (not saying this has to happen, but it might)
- Work on the text formatting to make it more visible? Again, the same problem, screenshots dominate the post and it's OK unless they're all similar and flow from one to the next. It's all to easy to ignore everything.
- Explain somewhere in the early updates what the modpack/fan patch changes; since it's the first(?) LP for this game, many people will be fresh and/or will want to try the game. It's also a good idea to link those patches for them.
- Holy gently caress are those 1.2 MB pics? Get that size reduced, pronto! I was wondering if they aren't too big; with that filesize, they defitely are! Also, are you playing in higher resolution and resizing them? (never ever do this, play in the exact resolution you post, especially in a pretty game like AoW) They look weird. (892*730? Is this even a resolution?)

I'd really love this LP to take off and I'm looking forward to your buddy doing all kinds of assholish, purely anti-player stuff in the battles :getin:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 8, 2012

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, now I genuinely want to see you do try HL2. I'm not saying it to be cruel or anything, I just think it'd be interesting to see since you're (again, no offense meant here) pretty much the only person in the world yet to finish it, so it could be nice to see it through fresh eyes.

I haven't even played it; I went through about 30 minutes of Half Life Source a couple of months ago before dying and discovering the wonderful world of PC games without autosave.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
HL2 has autosave.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

frozentreasure posted:

I haven't even played it; I went through about 30 minutes of Half Life Source a couple of months ago before dying and discovering the wonderful world of PC games without autosave.

You're about one sequel off the mark there.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Tithin Melias posted:

Has this been discussed itt yet? Basically sega is hitting every single Shining Force video they can find on Youtube with a takedown notice regardless of context, but mostly it's LP's being hit. (yeah, I know this is two weeks old or so, but I've not been reading this thread too dilligently lately)

Reading the article, it looks like it's mostly about the fan translations of SF3? My videos of SF1 haven't been hit (yet...).

Gonna make them unlisted, just in case.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

You do get the Shadow Demons in this game, although they're kind of cheesy if there's any shadow realm around. To address some of the stuff you mentioned:

-A friend who's never played the game suggested arrows and trying to limit the screenshots to something like one per combat round that both sides take since it overwhelmed him a bit with how much stuff was going on, and the screenshot size problem is entirely from me screwing up and uploading from the wrong folder! As for the resolution, I'd prefer to do it 1024x786 instead of 800x600 since the game gets a little cluttered - not sure why it's 9xx/7xx though.

-Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant by the text format? I'm definitely familiar with the feeling of eyes glazing over and just tapping pagedown to skip stuff.

-I'll add the relevent game changes from the modpacks into the OP and link to the unofficial patch. I spent half an hour trying to find the pack I use, and I think the site I got it from is dead or something since I got the thing three or four years ago.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, that is definitely on my plate. I might find it easier this time around if my aim has hopefully improved.

Or maybe I'll chicken out at Ravenholme. I think most of my knowledge of that game's events is from the old comic "Concerned" which I have a feeling isn't too representative of HL2.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VivaVizer posted:

Well, that is definitely on my plate. I might find it easier this time around if my aim has hopefully improved.

Or maybe I'll chicken out at Ravenholme. I think most of my knowledge of that game's events is from the old comic "Concerned" which I have a feeling isn't too representative of HL2.

I'm not gonna tell you what, but there's a very good reason you'll be happy going into Ravenholm. :3:

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Oh, just had a thought.

For such an old game, I'm sure there is a high-res model mod. Think those are worthwhile? Or would it mess with something in the game. Not sure if there are supposed to be camouflaged enemies anywhere.

Oh god...is there like Kotor high-res model mod...

That would be amazing...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

VivaVizer posted:

Oh, just had a thought.

For such an old game, I'm sure there is a high-res model mod. Think those are worthwhile? Or would it mess with something in the game. Not sure if there are supposed to be camouflaged enemies anywhere.

Oh god...is there like Kotor high-res model mod...

That would be amazing...

For Half-Life 2? It doesn't really look that bad and even still I'd say that if you were going to do an LP of 2 that you might also want to look into Black Mesa, which was a fan-made port of Half-Life 1 into the Source engine with a bunch of other improvements and streamlining. Especially considering the only Half-Life 1 LP done on here was done as a joke like 5 years ago.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Niggurath posted:

For Half-Life 2? It doesn't really look that bad and even still I'd say that if you were going to do an LP of 2 that you might also want to look into Black Mesa, which was a fan-made port of Half-Life 1 into the Source engine with a bunch of other improvements and streamlining. Especially considering the only Half-Life 1 LP done on here was done as a joke like 5 years ago.

Agreed, Half-Life 2 looks fine. That having been said, Black Mesa has a big chunk of the endgame missing, doesn't it? There wouldn't be any sort of smooth transition into Half-Life 2 at all. Besides, you can quite easily enjoy and comprehend Half-Life 2 without knowing what happened in the original - I know I did.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
Right, I remember hearing Black Mesa is missing the Xen or something. I could probably wait longer for them to finish. Not like I'm going to run out of games or something.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VivaVizer posted:

Right, I remember hearing Black Mesa is missing the Xen or something. I could probably wait longer for them to finish. Not like I'm going to run out of games or something.
"So you might be wondering why this level looks entirely different from the rest of the game I've been playing."

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
You say 'missing' Xen, I say "thank loving christ".

The only thing you're missing out on by not having to deal with Xen is not being able to see the horrifically awful level design and tedious as hell bosses it contains. If you really wanted to show it off still, you could always pull it up in the original game and append it to a Black Mesa LP.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I did basic editing of the transcripts, made my comments more visible with an underline, and subbed an imagelink in for the video

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9458

Thoughts?

You've slightly missformated the imagelink, judging by the ] at the end. (And the fact that it doesn't link anywhere.) Or it's just an LPix hickup.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

my dad posted:

You've slightly missformated the imagelink, judging by the ] at the end. (And the fact that it doesn't link anywhere.) Or it's just an LPix hickup.

It was actually cause I tried using [timg] with it. The timg link overrode, I guess, the vid link, so in the end I just went a straight [img]tag in the thread.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sentrygun posted:

You say 'missing' Xen, I say "thank loving christ".

The only thing you're missing out on by not having to deal with Xen is not being able to see the horrifically awful level design and tedious as hell bosses it contains. If you really wanted to show it off still, you could always pull it up in the original game and append it to a Black Mesa LP.
My statement wasn't really a joke.

ferndavant
Jul 5, 2009

Because that's what doggies do! :3:
Alright, I'm looking for some constructive criticism on a test video I just made for a Let's Play of the game Dishonored. Honestly, I'm nervous as hell about posting this. I've been watching Let's Plays for a long-time, and I hope that I haven't completely embarrassed myself.

It's very rough, but I want to make sure I'm not going in the complete wrong direction before I put TOO much time and effort into this. (Even though I've already put in like 6 hours at least already :negative: .)

So, as I said, it's rough and imperfect. I do want constructive criticism, but I also think it'd be helpful to explain what I know is wrong with it and how I think is best to fix it.

Problems I'm Aware Of

• My commentary is slightly off-sync. Happens around where I choke out the guy before the interrogation room, and then from then on. While I was recording the commentary, my computer glitched and had to start loading the video again at a certain spot. This created a long pause that I then had to try to manage and delete. I don't know honestly how bad the desynch is, or even if anyone's going to notice it but me, since I know it differs from how I originally recorded it. If it's terribly jarring, I'm going to go back and re-edit the timing.

• My auto-ducking is hosed, because I accidentally auto-ducked twice, once before I tried to fix the desynch and once after. I have both original files, as well as the original audacity project, so I'm probably going to go back in and re-auto dock it. Fairly easily fixable.

• I am not the greatest at this game. I acknowledge this in the commentary, and try to make up for it by being knowledgeable, and not stumbling around. One of the reasons I decided to Let's Play this game is because so many of the other, non-SA Let's Plays are blind runs that are just terrible. I think I'm doing much better than the average YouTube LP I've seen, but much worse than a pro. I know sometimes the charm of a Let's Play can be from a commentator loving up or getting completely lost, but I also know that complete ineptness can really screw it up.

• I worry about my commentary. I say "Um" a lot. And "So..." I took extensive notes before I did the recording, cross-referenced sources, and watched the whole thing once before I did the commentary. And as I was recording gameplay, I lingered on things I wanted to talk about. However, I'm still not 100% pleased with the commentary, although I may be being too hard on myself. I'm also afraid I'm doing too much "Durr, this is exactly what I'm doing on the screen. Commentary for the blind!" Also, at one point I say "guns in the bullets." Twice. Any advice on how to get better at this? Or will it just improve with time? I don't even know if what I'm saying is interesting.

• I'm not too sure on the sound quality. The mic is a lot better than a lot of stuff I've heard on more amateur, non-SA Let's Plays, but it still sounds a bit like a Skype call. I edited the sound as best I could. I'm not in a position to buy a new mic right now, so if it's completely terrible, I'll probably have to postpone this project until I can do so.

• I think the video might be kind of long, but the game kind of breaks up into nice chunks, and I felt like this was one. There is one more place I could cut the video (right after the Empress' murder), but since that part and the other part I play still have a lot of tutorial aspects, I felt that both together work as a good introduction video. I also left in the loading scenes, because they say some neat things, and aren't particularly long, but I can cut them if they're too boring. And of course, if I cut them, I'm going to have to re-record commentary (and implement any suggested changes).

• I sound like Elmer Fudd's retarded 12-year-old son. Not much I can do about this, but if my voice is particularly annoying, I can try my hand at subs, I suppose, although that would probably be very distracting and not appropriate for this game. I'm not 12, or even male, so don't worry about under-aged kids stumbling into SA and saying gently caress in their violent video games about being an assassin. I've just been gifted with the voice of a chipmunk.
If you have a better way to implement any fixes for these than what I've sketched out, please advise.

Things I'm Not Aware Of
  • Uh, I'm not aware of them, and that's why I'm asking you guys.
So...that was a whole bunch of :words: nobody probably read. Can you tell I'm nervous about this?

Anyway, here's my humble video.

ferndavant fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 8, 2012

PantslessScot
Dec 4, 2007
Are You Surprised?
Without even watching the video, I think I can point out that you missed the Three Month Rule?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

PantslessScot posted:

Without even watching the video, I think I can point out that you missed the Three Month Rule?

3 month rule doesn't apply to the sandcastle, since it can take weeks or months to tweak videos. Your voice is fine, by the way. Everyone hates their own voice v:shobon:v

ferndavant
Jul 5, 2009

Because that's what doggies do! :3:

PantslessScot posted:

Yeah, I'm going to hold off on posting anything just yet, as I think it's gonna take a long time to refine this, as this is my first Let's Play, and I'm running into a steep learning curve. I also want to have a good few updates prepared before I start to give me a nice buffer to allow me to put out updates fairly regularly. And finally, I'm a pretty big perfectionist, so I'm gonna want time to obsess over this and worry myself half to death.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Well, the first thing is that the video is choppy low-res... Which may not be something you can improve, and may keep people off.

As for audio, I don't know if that's what the game sounds like, but the various background conversations were often a bit too muffled. Then there's the old talking over cutscenes issue (other than that, the commentary isn't half bad).

Also, I suppose more people will click your links if you don't label them as stupid. :cheers:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Notes for if and when you repost:

I haven't actually played the game, so I guess there's a chance the intro just slows down once in a while, but it's probably your computer not being able to handle both Fraps (or whatever you're recording with) and the game running at once. Check the Tech Support Fort to see if it can be fixed.

Could you possibly... pronounce your R's?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DangerDan posted:

I'd prefer to do it 1024x786 instead of 800x600 since the game gets a little cluttered - not sure why it's 9xx/7xx though.
Check the rules, I think there's a 1000 width limit. If you can go to 1024, fine, but I'd prefer non-resized 800 to 1000.

quote:

-Could you elaborate a bit on what you meant by the text format? I'm definitely familiar with the feeling of eyes glazing over and just tapping pagedown to skip stuff.
Apart from better text division I can't put my finger on it. It's possible that the effect will be less noticeable once you actually post, with more lines per picture and so on, but nothing specific right now.

quote:

-I'll add the relevant game changes from the modpacks into the OP and link to the unofficial patch. I spent half an hour trying to find the pack I use, and I think the site I got it from is dead or something since I got the thing three or four years ago.
Alternatively, you can do this in sections - The OP says there is a modpack and fan patch that change [major bullet points, respectively], and when you get to each of them you stop and explain the changes in detail ("Veterans may have noticed something's off, that's because of the mod we're using which changes the battles the following way: :words:" OR "we're playing with the mod, the original battle mechanics here would look like this: :words:" when you get to battles, for example.)

Also, link the music. Any AoW LP that does not link the music immediately gets voted 1. :colbert: And I'd add the unit description to their stat window (also a great way to expand the text if you want to transcribe them. Or just post them without linking, they might break the image size monotony). Oh, and do explain the stats/abilities, especially when a basic grunt :v: has like ten of them.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 8, 2012

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Zellus posted:

Apparently, lying about having cancer (or any other deadly illness) is so common that it's now 'a thing', and the medical industry coined a name for it.

Munchausens is not in the least bit new, sorry to burst your bubble

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Tithin Melias posted:

Has this been discussed itt yet? Basically sega is hitting every single Shining Force video they can find on Youtube with a takedown notice regardless of context, but mostly it's LP's being hit. (yeah, I know this is two weeks old or so, but I've not been reading this thread too dilligently lately)

This honestly doesn't surprise me. Sega is a pretty typical Japanese Media Industry Studio, which default to "deathly afraid of internet media" and don't comprehend that any stuff on YouTube etc ultimately serve just to advertise their game(s) and media.

It's the reason that many anime studios will aggressively take down openings and advertisements for their series on YouTube. You'd think having people able to see what their thing is would be good advertisement, but they'd rather nobody have "stolen" media than potentially reap the wind.

It's not going to change our policies regardless.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

ferndavant posted:

Dishonored
A couple of immediate things that pop out is that you are fairly difficult to hear; turning up your commentary audio or speaking more confidently might help that (I know you said early that you had a lot of passion for the game but you seemed very unsure of the things you were saying). Also I'm going to assume the muffled and distorted state of the game audio was due to your mistakes in Audacity; keep in mind that there is an 'undo' option in Audacity, so any mistakes you do there aren't set in stone until you save that file. So in the case of your double autoducking you probably could have just undone that. Also regarding your commentary I'm not sure how often NPC's talk or if that opening boat ride was important information but you were talking over and I kinda lost what was going on in it. Also be very wary of overly stating the obvious, so things like 'Well as you can see we're on a boat with two guys.' is kinda redundant. Finally don't be weary of your voice; 99% of people here, including me, sound awful to ourselves but it's really not that bad.

Now onto the video quality...it's bad. For one thing what resolution are you playing the game in? Could you possibly play it in a resolution that's at least 720 (like 1024x768)? Also everything looks fairly jagged and I assume that's due to you turning off anti-aliasing, and the rest of the environment looks really low rez like you turned all the graphic settings down to the bare minimum. If your computer is not able to run and record the game without being choppy then you might want to reconsider the LP of this as you've left the game looking fairly ugly. If you can try to mess with the video settings in the game to make it look better then I'd try that (usually just turning off certain options will drastically help performance in games).

• Locked thread