Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

VogeGandire posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent mechanical keyboard that wouldn't be awful for gaming and isn't ridiculously expensive?

There's a dedicate keyboard thread here with a lot of mech keyboard geeks who'd be happy to help.

My 2 pence would be the CoolerMaster Quickfire Pro though, it's made by Costar who make the more expensive mech keyboards such as Filcos, but is a lot more affordable.

My personal keyboard (and recommendation) is the Filco Majestouch but I think that might fall into your "ridiculously expensive" bracket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

chippy posted:

My 2 pence would be the CoolerMaster Quickfire Pro though, it's made by Costar who make the more expensive mech keyboards such as Filcos, but is a lot more affordable.
The Quickfire Pro is made by iOne, not Costar, and iOne is the manufacturer that turns out boards with sticky, squeaky keys. The Rapid, Trigger, and TK are all Costar boards. A CM rep said they're never using iOne again after the Pro.

The Corsair K60 and K90 have major problems with keys "sticking" and repeatedly sending signals. Corsair knows about the problem but hasn't been able to fix it yet. It's the only keyboard out there I'd avoid at all costs.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Internet Friend posted:

The Quickfire Pro is made by iOne, not Costar, and iOne is the manufacturer that turns out boards with sticky, squeaky keys. The Rapid, Trigger, and TK are all Costar boards. A CM rep said they're never using iOne again after the Pro.

The Corsair K60 and K90 have major problems with keys "sticking" and repeatedly sending signals. Corsair knows about the problem but hasn't been able to fix it yet. It's the only keyboard out there I'd avoid at all costs.

poo poo you're right, I was thinking of the Rapid. My bad.

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

chippy posted:

There's a dedicate keyboard thread here with a lot of mech keyboard geeks who'd be happy to help.

My personal keyboard (and recommendation) is the Filco Majestouch but I think that might fall into your "ridiculously expensive" bracket.

Someone in that thread recommended me that keyboard and I ended up purchasing it. I've been using it for a few months now and I really like it. Definitely worth a buy if you're in the market for a mechanical keyboard.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Yes, the repeating key issue on the K60 is dumb and I can't believe they still don't have a fix. Otherwise, I think it's an awesome keyboard. I know people setup AHK keys or whatever for media, but I like having the media keys and the volume wheel is neat. I also like that instead of looking like a gamer thing it just looks weird.

As it is, I got the k60 on a one day sale at frys for really cheap so I just ignore the repeating key issue when it crops up (maybe once a week) but I wouldn't pay full price for one.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
What's a good headset for gaming?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
If you're in the USofA, the Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid with blue switches (the tactile clicky ones) is like $52 after MIR. It's a pretty solid tenkeyless keyboard, with a gray pride if you aren't bothered by "loud" keys.

clockworkjoe posted:

Well, depending on your budget, recommend a nice headset like the Shure SRH-440 with an Antlion modmic (which is current out of stock) for about $120. It'll sound better than any gaming headset you can buy and basically last forever.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 7, 2012

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

dog nougat posted:

If you're in the USofA, the Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid with blue switches (the tactile clicky ones) is like $52 after MIR. It's a pretty solid tenkeyless keyboard, with a gray pride if you aren't bothered by "loud" keys.

I picked one of these up as my first foray into mechanical keyboards. It's certainly solid, and I like that the 10keyless design doesn't take up much space on my desk.

I'm not sure that I love it as a gaming keyboard, though, which is all I use my PC for.. it might be a little too minimalist for me and I feel like I might actually prefer something that's more overtly branded for gaming like one of the Logitech G-series keyboards.

I brought it to work one day to try it out while programming and it was so loud that I felt guilty about using it in a shared office space and went back to my old keyboard after a few minutes. In retrospect, maybe I should have spent a little more money on one of the red/black switch versions of the QuickFire Rapid.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

clockworkjoe posted:

Unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money it's better off to get a good pair of headphones and a desk/clip on mic.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I just picked up this (http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic...=zalman+zm-mic1) goon recommended one for $8 after shipping, and it was a huge upgrade from the POS came-with-a-Dell-10-years-ago mic I was using.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
So I've been using a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for years now, but it's finally bit the dust. It was pretty decent for gaming despite being a no-frills three button mouse. Now it seems any new mouse I try is super sensitive in comparison and I have to crank down the pointer speed in Windows to have it usable, but still not quite right. Do I just have to suck it up and get used to a new mouse or is there a mouse that feels like my old one?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

El Mido posted:

So I've been using a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical for years now, but it's finally bit the dust. It was pretty decent for gaming despite being a no-frills three button mouse. Now it seems any new mouse I try is super sensitive in comparison and I have to crank down the pointer speed in Windows to have it usable, but still not quite right. Do I just have to suck it up and get used to a new mouse or is there a mouse that feels like my old one?

Make sure to install the manufacturer's driver tool / software that comes with the mouse. Most modern "gaming" mice let you adjust tons of stuff, most notably, DPI, which they usually have quite a range of. Setting the DPI all the way down should lower the sensitivity to levels you might be used to.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

mcvey posted:

Unless you're prepared to spend a lot of money it's better off to get a good pair of headphones and a desk/clip on mic.

that isn't very helpful. How much is a lot? What headphones, what desk/clip on mic? What are good headsets, even if they are expensive?

edit: This is the highest rated gaming headset on Amazon right now http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B006ZS5ATM

What's wrong with it?

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 8, 2012

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

that isn't very helpful. How much is a lot? What headphones, what desk/clip on mic? What are good headsets, even if they are expensive?

edit: This is the highest rated gaming headset on Amazon right now http://www.amazon.com/Plantronics-GameCom-780-Surround-Headset/dp/B006ZS5ATM

What's wrong with it?

I don't personally have any experience with that headset, or any gaming headsets for that matter, but from what I understand, they seem to be pretty flimsy, break easily, and use cheap components.

A few posts up I recommended this:

quote:

Well, depending on your budget, I recommend a nice headset like the Shure SRH-440 with an Antlion modmic (which is current out of stock) for about $120. It'll sound better than any gaming headset you can buy and basically last forever.

I have a pair of Shure's and they're really great. People also seem to recommend the Audio Technica AD700's. They're an open back design meaning everyone else in the same room will be able to hear what you do.

The antlion modmic is the recommended mic, it's kinda pricey at $32 or something. While they're out of them currently, Amazon gets them back in stock pretty regularly.

Edit: It really depends on what you are willing to spend. My opinion is that in the long run you'll save a few bux by buying separate components designed to do one thing rather than a mishmash of the two made cheaply to cash in on the "gamer craze".

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 8, 2012

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd recommend that approach as well. I bought an Audio Technica A500 on sale 6 or 7 years ago and besides replacing the ear pads a year ago they are still going strong and sound great. In that time I've seen my friends run through a bunch of gamer headsets. I use an external mic (the Zalman clip) that some people dislike but it works well for me and I even use it on business conference calls from home without issues.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

clockworkjoe posted:

Right now I'm pretty happy with my AKG headset.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

What's wrong with it?

I can attest to Platronics' GameCom line being really solid. The mics are great and tend to pick up only your voice with no or little background noise, and transmits it super clearly. The headphones aren't going to win any awards, but as a non-audiophile, I find them completely acceptable. I have a somewhat cheaper GameCom headset than that one and I'm happy with it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I was about to recommend the HD555, when I noticed it has doubled in price since I bought my pair 2 years ago. Was this model discontinued?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So I've got a motherboard picked out, and I'm down to one of two monitors.

ASUS 27" 120hz with Nvidia 3D glasses ($549.99)

or

ASUS 27" 120hz without 3D glasses ($499)

I figured later on I'll upgrade to a Nvidia card from my HD Radeon 6870. And while I won't be playing in 3D constantly, what I've experienced from the first gen of the glasses is very nice. I hope I'm not overlooking some damning evidence, though.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Early this year i replaced my monitor. I was dead set on getting a 120Hz monitor for gaming not only for gimmicky 3D but the 120Hz refresh rate which really does look nice. But 2 problems i had with this is one, i can't play everything at 120+ fps, nor future games without sacrifices(lower quality, upgrade video card $$) and 3D isn't taking off. I ended up getting a Dell ips monitor and really glad i did.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't know what "3D isn't taking off" is supposed to mean, you can play a good 95% of PC games in 3D and it is a seriously impressive thing. Games with a lot of potential for parallax like Far Cry 3, Skyrim, and Portal 2 just feel so much more substantial in stereo. Its a pretty clear upgrade in my eyes. Of course, you do have to pay a little more for monitors and higher end video cards, so that's a trade off.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

homeless snail posted:

I don't know what "3D isn't taking off" is supposed to mean, you can play a good 95% of PC games in 3D and it is a seriously impressive thing. Games with a lot of potential for parallax like Far Cry 3, Skyrim, and Portal 2 just feel so much more substantial in stereo. Its a pretty clear upgrade in my eyes. Of course, you do have to pay a little more for monitors and higher end video cards, so that's a trade off.

It also depends on personal things. I could never play with 3D glasses on for more than an hour when I used them at a friends house. But I definitely feel like I'd make a lot of use out of it because my system is pretty great still. I'm also going to be able to overclock my CPU from the stock finally, and that was the only thing really holding me back from doing ultra on everything.

Not to mention the 3D glasses work perfectly with YouTube's HTML5 encoded 3D, which I hope gets used more.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

homeless snail posted:

I don't know what "3D isn't taking off" is supposed to mean, you can play a good 95% of PC games in 3D and it is a seriously impressive thing.

Go look at the number of 3DVision monitors on the market. Go look at the number of standard 2D monitors on the market.

That's what is meant. It's a very small percentage still. Also a very small percentage of sales, since 2D is still markedly cheaper both for the monitor and in terms of decent video cards to support it.

I worked out recently how much it would cost to upgrade to a 3DVision2 setup. A decent monitor with receiver and glasses would be about $450, and a GTX680 would be about the same. So $900. I could build a whole new mid-line gaming rig for that.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Do you guys think there would be enough interest to get a goon Battlefield 2142 server going? All these COD clone shooters are bumming me the gently caress out, and Planetside 2 kind of sucks.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Probably not because Planetside 2 is really fun.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

It doesn't help that the game you suggest isn't very much different from the games you condemn.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I can attest to Platronics' GameCom line being really solid. The mics are great and tend to pick up only your voice with no or little background noise, and transmits it super clearly. The headphones aren't going to win any awards, but as a non-audiophile, I find them completely acceptable. I have a somewhat cheaper GameCom headset than that one and I'm happy with it.

I'm also a fan of the GameCom line. I had a set for 3 or 4 years that were going solid, until my dog jumped off my lap, got twisted up in the audio cord, the weight and momentum of my dog pulled the headphones against my head, and snapped. I ordered another headset the same night (GameCom 367) and have been using it for the past year or so with no issues.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Do you guys think there would be enough interest to get a goon Battlefield 2142 server going? All these COD clone shooters are bumming me the gently caress out, and Planetside 2 kind of sucks.

Nope. If you're still not convinced, come ask that over in the wookwook thread. We were going to do a 2142 server when it was released on Steam while waiting for BF3 to be released, but EA eight-sixed that when they announced Origin, so we never did make the server. 1942 is free on Origin now though, but you're still looking at $1/ticket which means $64/mo for a five year old game just to see if you can wrangle up enough people to play.

You're welcome to use our mumble server for whatever community project you end up working on, we just bumped the slots up to 100 last week.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Hadlock posted:

Nope. If you're still not convinced, come ask that over in the wookwook thread. We were going to do a 2142 server when it was released on Steam while waiting for BF3 to be released, but EA eight-sixed that when they announced Origin, so we never did make the server. 1942 is free on Origin now though, but you're still looking at $1/ticket which means $64/mo for a five year old game just to see if you can wrangle up enough people to play.

You're welcome to use our mumble server for whatever community project you end up working on, we just bumped the slots up to 100 last week.

Shame to hear that. I know you guys are big on BF3- I just got it a few days ago which spurned that post, I was sorely disappointed to see all the COD-style design decisions they made.

I'd be surprised if EA didn't pull the plug on the 2142 unlock server in the near future.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Does anyone have a good alternative to IOBit's GameBooster? They got bought out by Razer or something and the new version sucks. The only way to launch it is to set it to run every time a Steam game launches or to launch the game through their lovely rear end launcher. I just want to be able to leave it run and click the boost button when I want to play a resource intensive game but not have it do its thing and close out everything like Spotify and Chrome when I'm playing something like Dredmor or Hotline Miami.

EDIT: Nevermind, they added a keyboard shortcut(Ctrl+Alt+B :wtc:)

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 10, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I notice the OP advises not to get a wireless 360 controller. Is this still the case? The OP also says Brink is coming out this week sooo….

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nah, just get a wired one. So much easier because you don't need to gently caress around and get the wireless receiver. Wired one, you just plug it in and it works straight away.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Even if my new gaming PC is going to be 15+ feet away from my gaming chair? (Getting ready to use Big Picture in my living room)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Wireless receiver is great and fine and I use it exclusively.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gyshall posted:

I notice the OP advises not to get a wireless 360 controller. Is this still the case? The OP also says Brink is coming out this week sooo….

The only way to get a wireless 360 controller to work with a PC is to buy a chinese adapter, which requires jumping through all sorts of hoops to get the drivers working. Microsoft discontinued the official ones years ago unfortunately. A lot of games specifically support the Microsoft Brand 360 controller but are iffy with other controllers (see also: Super Meat Boy). Offbrand controllers can also make Steam's new Big Picture mode fail out spectacularly. The official controller is 100% supported by windows though.

Amazon has the official Microsoft Brand wired controllers for $30 shipped on amazon, that's about $10 cheaper than anywhere else I've seen on the internet.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 10, 2012

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I use a 10 dollar eBay receiver, use the normal drivers from Microsoft, and the only game that gave me trouble was an earlier Assassins Creed that only took the official wired controller, not even my off brand MadCatz 360 wired pad. The AC's since then all detect it right away. Even small games like Hotline Miami have no issue working perfectly.

I have no idea where people get the idea it's so bad. I have used the controller with an absurd amount of games.

edit: This is all true under Windows 7. I heard Windows 8 does indeed gently caress with off brand wireless adapters and require all the weird driver nonsense they are warning about though.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 10, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This guy won't work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QRKWKQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My MadCatz offbrand doesn't work at all or has major problems with about 50% of my steam games, my Joytech offbrand controller works with about 70%. I've yet to hear anyone ever complain about the official controller though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I use the official one, and have never came across a game with joypad support that it didn't work with.

Plus drat near every multiplatform game these days supports it natively.

And even if it doesn't have joypad support, there's always JoyToKey or XPadder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

This is fine, these combos are the only way to get official MS wireless adapters now. The angst is from people who already own four of the things and don't want to pay for a fifth when they just need the adapter.

• Locked thread