Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

super fart shooter posted:

Maybe people have already figured this out, but I just discovered that if you click the magnifying glass in the search bar and uncheck "search entire library" it turns off that horribly laggy search dropdown thing and behaves the way the search used to, which is a relief.

No, I hadn't noticed that. Thank you very much. All better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
The search dropdown thing is laggy?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Wario In Real Life posted:

Maybe you have a really awesome computer or a small library but when I go to use it loading all the album covers and such is clunky as poo poo.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
I don't find the new search laggy but I really miss the live filtering. I most often use it for checking / finding stuff in the playlist I'm listening to and even though you can still do this by typing a few letters and hitting enter, it feels a bit clunky for quick at-a-glance, 'is that artist in this list?' searches. It's a minor niggle but enough for me to uncheck Search Entire Library to get the old way back.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Want dat search for duplicates function.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

It's supposed to be coming back in the next minor update.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Capt. Morgan posted:

It's supposed to be coming back in the next minor update.

Not to be a prick, but can you cite this? I want to see what else might be fixed in the next version, if there is a list.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

iTunes is so much faster on Windows now.

I'm having some issues with podcasts. Video podcasts (and music videos) won't play at all and audio podcasts work, but if they have accompanying images, those won't display. Before, I could open a little window in the bottom left and music videos and the images accompanying podcasts would play down there. :confused:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

Not to be a prick, but can you cite this? I want to see what else might be fixed in the next version, if there is a list.

http://allthingsd.com/20121204/itunes-gets-an-upgrade-without-missing-a-beat/

"A feature that finds duplicate entries is missing. Apple says it will soon be restored in a minor update of the program.
In my tests, some album covers were missing in album view. Apple says this is a rare bug, but one it has solved and will fix in a minor update soon. Another bug the company says will be remedied prevents owners of Apple TVs from wirelessly streaming cloud-based movies to their TVs."

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Blodskur posted:

http://allthingsd.com/20121204/itunes-gets-an-upgrade-without-missing-a-beat/

"A feature that finds duplicate entries is missing. Apple says it will soon be restored in a minor update of the program.
In my tests, some album covers were missing in album view. Apple says this is a rare bug, but one it has solved and will fix in a minor update soon. Another bug the company says will be remedied prevents owners of Apple TVs from wirelessly streaming cloud-based movies to their TVs."

I ran into the missing album art bug, but viewing the Artwork tab in the Get Info dialogue for a song in the album restores it.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Having used it more and more since it came out, I'm starting to feel like this isn't a complete rebuild. The UI, sure, but the underlying mechanics? Seems pretty much the same.

Am I just loony?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

No, it's the same base; the completely identical options dialog is a dead giveaway. They probably won't be rebuilding from nothing because they have two platforms to support.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I want to keep my apps on a different drive. I have the iTunes media folder saved to the other drive where all my music is and there is even a folder for apps inside the iTunes folder there, but it looks like old apps that haven't updated. iTunes is still keeping the apps in my My Music Library folder in Win7.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Look into symlinks.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

f#a# posted:

Home Sharing is kind of weak because it really lacks on the library management from multiple devices front. If you just wanna play stuff, it works fine.

If I were you and you're working with a flash drive, I might actually just put the iTunes Library and its files straight on the USB stick. That way, whenever you want to access your library on any computer, hold alt/option when loading iTunes, select the library from the flash drive, and you're good to go with up-to-date information.

Not sure about controlling from different devices, but VNC's always an option. Provided both are OSX devices, go to System Preferences -> Sharing and enable screen sharing on the computer that has iTunes up and running. If it's Windows, TightVNC has worked for me.
Cool, this all helps! Thanks.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Really slow for me. 128gb library, Windows.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
128gb library, holy moly

It's instant for me on Windows, but my library is all in the cloud (about 15GB worth).

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Probably a Windows thing. 240 here and it's snappy as can be. No SSD or anything either.

That said I still kind of like the old implementation simply because I used it as a lazy way to create quick playlists.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

How do I add a playlist of songs to my iOS devices? When i try to drag them the little window pane doesn't slide out like it does when just transferring songs or albums.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

How do I add a playlist of songs to my iOS devices? When i try to drag them the little window pane doesn't slide out like it does when just transferring songs or albums.

Click on the button in the top right corner for the device, go under the music tab, and check those playlists.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't do anything. I'm looking at the "Recently Added" playlist so that I can transfer the last few albums I added. I'm trying to drag the songs individually and it doesn't transfer anything. I can't just drag and drop the playlist icon either like I did in iTunes 10. I have to go into Album view or something else to transfer the songs.

Edit: It works if I un-hide the Sidebar.The Devices window doesn't slide out when I try to drag it when I hide the Sidebar.

Eelface
Jul 23, 2002

Just curious if anyone ran into this or I'm an impatient moron, but I rented Waiting for Lighting a skateboard documentary and it downloaded. For some reason it says pre-order above the rent button not on rent, but I'm stuck with it on my hard drive and can't import/play it. Just wondering before trying to contact apple and getting sent to FAQs. Thanks

H-Tail
Dec 18, 2005

"I'm not a crybaby"
Is anyone else having a problem when new plays aren't registered on iTunes at all? I saw someone posted earlier about not syncing them from devices properly, but mine isn't adding any new plays and the 'last played' column isn't updating either.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Anyone having problems with apps downloaded on iOS devices not being transferred to the library upon syncing?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone unable to connect to their Libraries via Home Share? Since getting 11, I haven't been able to connect from any of my iDevices or AppleTV.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
One of the "notify me what's playing" apps just got rejected on one of its updates: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/07/apple-rejects-mac-app-update-that-shows-itunes-11-notifications/

Think iTunes 11 will interact with notification center in an update, or is this just apple being apple?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
iTunes 11 here. I want to select an artist, then choose one of their albums and have iTunes play the whole album in order. When I do what would seem to be the obvious thing (select the artist, then hit the play button next to the album name), it seems to play a shuffle of the album or random songs from the album/artist. What is the easiest way to get this seemingly very straightforward functionality?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Papercut posted:

iTunes 11 here. I want to select an artist, then choose one of their albums and have iTunes play the whole album in order. When I do what would seem to be the obvious thing (select the artist, then hit the play button next to the album name), it seems to play a shuffle of the album or random songs from the album/artist. What is the easiest way to get this seemingly very straightforward functionality?

Check to make sure it's sorting the album by track and not alphabetically and also check to make sure shuffle isn't on.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Suqit posted:

Check to make sure it's sorting the album by track and not alphabetically and also check to make sure shuffle isn't on.

Under Controls -> Shuffle, "By Songs" is checked but "Turn On Shuffle" is unchecked, so I assume shuffle is off. For the former, I don't see how to do that; the closest thing is under View -> View Options, there is a drop-down menu where I can sort albums by Title, Genre, Year, and Rating.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Papercut posted:

I think someone said earlier if you click play it will shuffle play for that artist. If you doubleclick track one in that album then it plays them in order. Otherwise maybe it's different if you press play while in album list.

I can't be more specific since I use playlists exclusively. :shrug:

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Papercut posted:

No idea but using the ARTISTS sorting and clicking on an artist and then clicking the play button when you hover over an album title plays the album in order for me (when shuffle is off obviously).

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

No idea but using the ARTISTS sorting and clicking on an artist and then clicking the play button when you hover over an album title plays the album in order for me (when shuffle is off obviously).

I realized that it was because the album I was trying to play didn't have track numbers. :duh:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

PFlats posted:

One of the "notify me what's playing" apps just got rejected on one of its updates: http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/07/apple-rejects-mac-app-update-that-shows-itunes-11-notifications/

Think iTunes 11 will interact with notification center in an update, or is this just apple being apple?
I hope it doesn't gently caress with GrowlTunes since I just bought it recently and it's in a desperate need of an update due to iTunes 11 causing it to have a slight memory leak.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Lost in all the commotion of the update, I just now realized that I absolutely love the "Up Next" feature. Usually I just shuffle my entire library or a particularly large playlist, but every once in a while I'll get the urge to hear a certain song. Usually I'd have to search for the song and then abruptly stop whatever I was currently listening to to hear it (all while taking me out of my current playlist), but now I can just click "Play Next" and go back to whatever I was doing. The song I wanted to hear will come on next and then afterwards it will immediately return to the regularly scheduled lineup.

Kind of a little detail that ultimately doesn't really mean much, but drat if it doesn't feel convenient as hell.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is the worst update. I can't believe how slow this piece of poo poo runs now.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Up Next is the kind of thing I was most missing back when I made the switch from Windows and Foobar to MacOS and iTunes. The only problem now is actually getting used to using it now that I'm so used to not having it!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

bowmore posted:

This is the worst update. I can't believe how slow this piece of poo poo runs now.

I think you're in the minority in that thinking. Every other account (myself included) finds it to be much more responsive.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

goethe gear xx posted:

Up Next is the kind of thing I was most missing back when I made the switch from Windows and Foobar to MacOS and iTunes. The only problem now is actually getting used to using it now that I'm so used to not having it!

benisntfunny posted:

I think you're in the minority in that thinking. Every other account (myself included) finds it to be much more responsive.

It's slow as gently caress on my 2009 Mini even though I have an SSD. (Though the music is stored on an internal 7200 HDD.)

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Other than personal preference for the streamlined design, is there any reason to update to 11? I'm mostly seeing complaints, issues, and missing features. (Windows 7, here.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Unless you use iTunes DJ a lot in some way that Up Next can't replicate (like that one guy who posted a few pages ago), then I see no reason to stay with 10. It's definitely an upgrade from 10, it's just not the magical complete rewrite that always works great for everyone that some were hoping for.

You're always going to hear more complaints than good things, the people that are happy with it don't care.