Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Coffee thread is usually on the first or second page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

My wife and I love stir fry, but we're trying to watch sodium content. Being that as it is, your typical stir fry sauce from the "International Foods" aisle at the grocer isn't really viable. Does anyone have any suggestions to a good way to season or add flavor to a stir fry without just dumping a salty sauce on it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tarepanda posted:

Is there a coffee thread or somewhere I could go to get solid recommendations for a coffee maker for a present?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437887

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
You can make your own sauce so you can adjust how salty it is. A typical stir fry sauce will be based on something high in salt and umami like soy sauce, oyster sauce, or fish sauce or a combination and is often balanced with something sweet (usually sugar or honey), sometimes some acid (rice wine vinegar, citrus). Then for more specific flavors, depending on the type of sauce you might find ginger, garlic, lemongrass, or spices like five spice powder, heat in the form of chili oils or pastes, or other elements like fermented black beans or hoisin sauce. If thickened, a cornstarch slurry is added.

To reduce sodium you can try using a homemade broth as the base and then just a splash of the soy/fish/oyster sauce to at least give some saltiness to the sauce, then use a lot of aromatics and spices to make up for less salt. Stay with a thin sauce without adding a starch thickener so that the small bit of saltiness you have is not muted.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I just finished shredding the pork jowl, and I'm reducing the braising liquid now. It's amazing. My thyme plant had gotten a little withered from a recent cold snap, but I looked at some recipes online and decided to bolster it with some sage - my sage is always the last plant to give up for the winter, so I had plenty. The smell filled my house in the bet way. I cooked it with carrots, onions, mushrooms, and apple. Most of the recipes said to discard the veggies, but they're delicious so I'm not gonna.

I'm actually impressed at how much meat there is here, since so many recipes mentioned how little meat there is in a jowl. The fat is really beautiful and soft and I kind of want to just spread it on toast.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

RazorBunny posted:

It still accomplishes everything I've asked of it without any pulling, but I'm sure you're right.

Go get it sharpened somewhere and report back. You'll be stunned at the difference.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So I ended up with a bunch (I'd estimate 1/2 cup but maybe a little less) of ganache after making macarons (The ganache wasn't very thick so I couldn't spread a bunch on and I think the recipe asked me to make way too much). Is there anything clever to do with the rest? Other than find another recipe that needs ganache, I guess.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Make them into truffles after the ganache has become firm enough to scoop into balls.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/02/chocolate-ganache-truffles.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Could I use a cookie sheet as a roasting pan or is that asking for trouble

Edit: VVVVV I guess I'm buying a roasting pan

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 9, 2012

That Girl
Jun 21, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If the food is going to release liquid as it's cooking, you're asking for trouble.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Steve Yun posted:

Edit: VVVVV I guess I'm buying a roasting pan

Ive done roast chickens on cookie sheets with a slight lip. It worked but was a bit dangerous when removing from the oven.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Nevermind.

Different question:

What's the right temp for roasting duck for juicy flesh and crispy skin?
Mine usually come out crispy and dry. :sigh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 9, 2012

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I have a nearly unhealthy obsession with castelvetrano olives. I usually get them from AG Ferarri foods which are always fresh, crisp, and very buttery. I found some at Bristol Farms for $2/pound cheaper and got some that were not nearly as good. Is there any place online I can buy some high quality ones in bulk?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mister Macys posted:

What's the right temp for roasting duck for juicy flesh and crispy skin?
Mine usually come out crispy and dry. :sigh:

Are you drying the duck out first? Or just cooking it so that the skin will be crispy and the meat is a casualty?

I've actually never cooked duck but I am of the understanding that basically having it air dry (in the fridge for example) for a day or something before cooking helps with the crispiness without having to overcook the duck.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'm a newbie cook that had questions about bakingware and fish.

I have fancy multiclad roasting pan that works great for slow-cooked briskets, but it appears to bake too fish slowly - at 425 degrees I have to bake salmon and trout almost double the time indicated on the recipe.

Should I buy an enameled cast-iron baking pan for fish fillets? I've tried baking sheets for fish but they always seem to warp violently in my oven at temperatures over 400 degrees, making a clanging sound, not to mention shifting around the items being cooked.

The enameled cast-iron pans are a little pricey, but I don't mind as long as they cook better, and are convenient to clean.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Comic posted:

Are you drying the duck out first? Or just cooking it so that the skin will be crispy and the meat is a casualty?

I've actually never cooked duck but I am of the understanding that basically having it air dry (in the fridge for example) for a day or something before cooking helps with the crispiness without having to overcook the duck.

I never tried drying out a duck.
Also, should I be baking near 400, or somewhere lower after it's spent a day airing out?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've decided to take up cooking as a regular thing. Fortunately, I've been accumulating essential kitchen supplies over the last couple years. Unfortunately, I know little about cooking aside from some simple stuff like an awesome chili, stir fry, and very poorly made dumplings.

I was thinking of learning a dish once a week, like a regular Tuesday/Wednesday night thing, but I'd like to learn about cooking, not just recipes. In either case, is there an online guide that can teach me the basics?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

If you can make chili and stir fry I'd say you probably have most of the basics down? I don't know, I learned most of my stuff from just attempting everything and possibly messing up.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I've decided to take up cooking as a regular thing. Fortunately, I've been accumulating essential kitchen supplies over the last couple years. Unfortunately, I know little about cooking aside from some simple stuff like an awesome chili, stir fry, and very poorly made dumplings.

I was thinking of learning a dish once a week, like a regular Tuesday/Wednesday night thing, but I'd like to learn about cooking, not just recipes. In either case, is there an online guide that can teach me the basics?

I think every single episode of Good Eats is on youtube, and that show is great for beginners. If you have in mind a dish you wanna make or an ingredient you wanna work with, check this list and see if there's an episode about it, and check it out on youtube if there is.

Alton Brown sometimes goes way too hardcore about the way he prepares food, but in general the show is a great learning tool IMO.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

What are some good Christmas dinner ideas, particularly for a diabetic guest?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Mister Macys posted:

Also, should I be baking near 400, or somewhere lower after it's spent a day airing out?

Alas the only other thing I know is that if you separate the skin a bit (like air under the skin) that it will crisp up too. Looking around I'm seeing recipes for 350 until internals are at 180, then kick it up to 450 to crisp, but they're also saying to quarter the duck.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Anyone have a killer baba ghanoush recipe? The more ethnic the better! Tried a basic one last week and it was good, but lacked a little oomph. Tweak suggestions just as welcome.

http://theshiksa.com/2011/06/22/classic-baba-ghanoush/

For that matter, I'll take guacamole and gazpacho recipes too. Have tried a lot of the high-rated ones on-line, but they lack spice or something -> just noticed the GWS wiki guac suggestions.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 10, 2012

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Seconding the Good Eats suggestion. The show isn't great for finding specific recipes for things but tells you why things are cooked/prepared a certain way. Then once you understand this component you'll find you are able to generalize this to other things. He does go a little overboard sometimes.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

AB's first book is pretty awesome, and has quite a few recipes in it as well. It breaks everything down by heat application - baking, broiling, frying, steaming, etc.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Whoa! For thanksgiving I slow roasted mine for maybe 3 hours at 250 and then cranked the heat up to 400 for the last 10 mins and it was wonderfully juicy while having crispy skin.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

nnnotime posted:

I have fancy multiclad roasting pan that works great for slow-cooked briskets, but it appears to bake too fish slowly - at 425 degrees I have to bake salmon and trout almost double the time indicated on the recipe.

Should I buy an enameled cast-iron baking pan for fish fillets? I've tried baking sheets for fish but they always seem to warp violently in my oven at temperatures over 400 degrees, making a clanging sound, not to mention shifting around the items being cooked.

The enameled cast-iron pans are a little pricey, but I don't mind as long as they cook better, and are convenient to clean.

If you have to double the cooking time for fish, your oven isn't hot enough. Have you ever used a probe thermometer to test the actual oven temp versus what it's set to?

I wouldn't bother buying a pan just for fish fillets - just use what you have. Preheat the pan in the oven while it comes up to temp if you have to.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I use corning ware with a lid for fish. The extra time just goes to getting the dish up to temp because I don't preheat that, but the fish always stays very moist.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

nnnotime posted:

Have you also considered you might just be overcooking your fish? What internal temperature are you going for?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Hey spoony-goons, I shot a deer and as per requested last year, decided to keep quite a bit more of it. I gave away the heart and tongue (tried to save the kidneys but I had to field-dress the deer alone and it was getting dark and I couldn't find them), but now I'm left with a rather large liver that I'd like some good recipes for!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

razz posted:

Hey spoony-goons, I shot a deer and as per requested last year, decided to keep quite a bit more of it. I gave away the heart and tongue (tried to save the kidneys but I had to field-dress the deer alone and it was getting dark and I couldn't find them), but now I'm left with a rather large liver that I'd like some good recipes for!

It's uhh...a bit off the wall, but I've done this before, and it's amazing: liver creme caramel

All this guy's recipes are amazing. He also had a liver and heart dirty rice that is so drat good too.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
How do you feel about liverwurst? A venison based braunschweiger sounds amazing. Unfortunately I don't have a recipe for you.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have experience making falafel from canned chickpeas? I know it's inferior, but my local grocery store doesn't seem to have dried, and I want falafel noooow not tomorrow!

I googled it and apparently if I just use them straight out of the can, the balls will just fall apart in the oil. I saw one recommendation online that I should roast them in the oven to get a less mushy texture, but another guy said just leaving them out to dry for a couple hours would do the job. Suggestions? Is it even worth trying? If not I'll probably just make hummus I guess.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Casu Marzu posted:

It's uhh...a bit off the wall, but I've done this before, and it's amazing: liver creme caramel

All this guy's recipes are amazing. He also had a liver and heart dirty rice that is so drat good too.

Wow, that looks... interesting. May have to try that out! I'm always up for making something weird. I do love that guy's website though. I've been wanting to make his Spanish Chilindron Stew for quite some time.

http://honest-food.net/2011/10/02/spanish-chilindron-stew/

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I think there used to be a thread for this, but I can't find it, so I'll ask here. Does anyone have any essential recipe book recommendations? I usually look on food blogs and Epicurious for recipe ideas and techniques, but I recently purchased Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything, and I really like having a bunch of recipes there in front of me to flip through. I also like how his recipes are super basic, and if I use that and the Flavor Bible there is a lot of room for interpretation. However, I'd like to get a book that isn't afraid to get a little more complicated with the technique, Bittman seems to sacrifice ease for flavor on some of his recipes.

Basically, I'm looking for book where you love and swear by the recipes or technique and refer to it again and again. It can be regional recipes (I'm actually looking for more Asian-type recipe books), as long as they're great. I'm leaning towards adding Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, French Laundry, Ratio, and the Bread Baker's Apprentice to my collection.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Jmcrofts posted:

Does anyone have experience making falafel from canned chickpeas? I know it's inferior, but my local grocery store doesn't seem to have dried, and I want falafel noooow not tomorrow!

I googled it and apparently if I just use them straight out of the can, the balls will just fall apart in the oil. I saw one recommendation online that I should roast them in the oven to get a less mushy texture, but another guy said just leaving them out to dry for a couple hours would do the job. Suggestions? Is it even worth trying? If not I'll probably just make hummus I guess.

I don't know what websites you were looking at, but I've made falafel with canned chickpeas before and they've always been fine. Here's the recipe I used for Picnic ICSA:

Scientastic posted:

Falafel:

400g canned chickpeas, drained and washed
2tbsp vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 chili, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic
Fry until soft
Tip into a large mixing bowl with the chickpeas and spices and mash until the chickpeas are broken down
Add the egg, stir and mould into balls
Flatten the balls into patties

Fry on a medium heat until golden brown and firm

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scientastic posted:

I don't know what websites you were looking at, but I've made falafel with canned chickpeas before and they've always been fine. Here's the recipe I used for Picnic ICSA:

You're the man, thanks for the recipe! I don't know what sites they were that said canned was no good, I just googled "canned chickpeas falafel" and checked a few results. This looks great though, I'll definitely try your recipe!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So I got stuff for Char Siu except I am an idiot and got sliced belly. Do I just need to adjust cooking times or is it not going to come out as great?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Anybody got a preferred oven cleaner?

edit: also, is using steel wool on an enameled steel oven okay?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 11, 2012

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
How long will the habanero mango hot sauce keep in bottles? I assume a while with so much acid and chilli in it, but I need some storage instructions to give to people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good herb crust/rub for a tri-tip in the oven? I did a rib roast with olive oil, s+p, rosemary and garlic that turned out well. Any variation for tri-tip?