Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I love doing blind taste tests of things. When I first got into roasting my wife and I did some identical green beans done to 3 different roasts, had samples of each to crush and smell, and tried each of the three both black and with cream and sugar. It was really eye-opening (and fun.)

But I don't recall ever really delving into water other than once trying (bottled) filtered water vs. tap water and easily choosing filtered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

min posted:

Do you have any information on the "something" from Culligan? I've been thinking about getting a better water filter.

We use an aquasana and quite like it. Used pur and brita faucet mounts in the past they always ended up getting stress cracks and leaking after 6 mos or so. Aquasana's been going for 2.5 years now, not a leak, and they have an scheduled replacement filter shipment program.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I always use water from my brita filter. The trouble is that we keep it in the fridge so it takes longer to heat up the water. The improved taste is worth it though.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
NYC tap water tastes good enough for me to drink normally so I just use that. I haven't noticed a difference when using my Brita water (I have a brita just so I can have super cold water at all times)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

NYC tap water tastes good enough for me to drink normally so I just use that. I haven't noticed a difference when using my Brita water (I have a brita just so I can have super cold water at all times)

It's all the live floating crustaceans.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's all the live floating crustaceans.

Holy poo poo you weren't kidding: http://gothamist.com/2010/08/31/nycs_tap_water_delicious_and_filled.php

Still delicious :colbert:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I just got hired for the second Birch Coffee location on 96th and Columbus. Pretty sweet. It's my first foray into a real coffee place.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I moved to a new apartment and this place has deficient electricity. My microwave runs at noticeably lower power and my hot-air popcorn popper just ran for 12 minutes and barely got past first crack. :-/ At the old place it got to that point is 4-5 minutes.

I guess I need to look at stovetop options.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, to add another data point to the grinding variability with roast question, coffee roasted barely to something like American is definitely harder to grind in a hand grinder compared to coffee roasted to something like Full City. I think I almost sprained my elbow this morning.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 8, 2012

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
If you have a hand grinder and haven't done something like this, then what are you using effort for?

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross
There was an image attached

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Johnson Brothers in Milwaukee is pretty fantastic, with great customer service. The owner personally emailed me to let me know their roasting schedule for my order. I picked up their Sumatra batak, Rwanda bufcafe, and Wata dara sidamo. The Sumatra is really well balanced, good acidity and nice dark fruit notes (blueberry).

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I want to get a nice coffee maker for my girlfriend -- she loves coffee. Is the one on the front page still the go-to recommendation?

What's a good budget grinder?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

tarepanda posted:

I want to get a nice coffee maker for my girlfriend -- she loves coffee. Is the one on the front page still the go-to recommendation?

What's a good budget grinder?

For the grinder, if you can swing 80-120 you can get an entry level burr grinder in the form of the Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore. If you only have about $40, the Hario hand grinders will suffice for coarser grinds but will quickly require more effort for finer grinds.

For coffee makers: it depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a regular drip maker, the technivorm and bonavita offerings are supposed to be pretty solid. I don't know anything about the zojirushi one on the second post. The OP also has a pretty good rundown on other coffee making methods that are good and affordable as well.

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 9, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Which of the goony rear end people at augies today are on sa right now?
Also, the ethopian top lot is great.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
So the roaster I've been getting beans from has Jamaican Blue. Priced at $70/lb. Is it really that drat good?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ded posted:

So the roaster I've been getting beans from has Jamaican Blue. Priced at $70/lb. Is it really that drat good?
I've only had it once and It definitely wasn't worth it..about 6 months ago when I first checked my roaster was selling it for $35/pound. That roaster always puts some sample brews up each day and that day the owner was off so the other two people working decided to brew up some Jamaican blue. I'm guessing its just artificial inflation but I don't know that much about coffee economics to know if that's right.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
For some reason I've only seen big (bad) roasters using Kona and Blue Mountain beans, but I haven't been following coffee for long so I may have missed out on good roasters using them.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

How temperature sensitive is coffee? I use a vacuum water boiler and it keeps my water at 205. When I'm using the aeropress is that hot enough or should I be boiling water every time?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

inferis posted:

How temperature sensitive is coffee? I use a vacuum water boiler and it keeps my water at 205. When I'm using the aeropress is that hot enough or should I be boiling water every time?

You shouldn't let water hotter than 205 touch coffee.
195-205 is the sweet spot.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ded posted:

It's not THAT drat good, but it's definitely delicious. If you can find somewhere that is preparing it well, spend whatever you want, but it's not worth seventy a pound.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

JBM is very good but I just find that there's nothin unique about it to warrant its price. It's an exceedingly smooth cup and has a great finish, but if I'm shelling out that money for coffee I need something more flavorful, like an Ethiopia Beloya sequence.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.islands.jamaica.php

nm
Jan 28, 2008

i am not so sure posted:

JBM is very good but I just find that there's nothin unique about it to warrant its price. It's an exceedingly smooth cup and has a great finish, but if I'm shelling out that money for coffee I need something more flavorful, like an Ethiopia Beloya sequence.

Yeah, the reason Hawaiian and Jamaican are so prized is because coffee used to be of exceedingly low quality. Those two and maybe a couple of others were very clean and tasted like coffee rather than rear end. The boringness is the selling point.
Today, we have high quality beans that are far more interesting.

I'd compare it to apples. The red delicious was prized because it looked good and traveled well, so when it got to where it was going it was in good condition rather than bruised and ugly.
We have now perfected other breeds (and transportation) so we want honeycrips and such which are far more interesting.

(The difference is that JBM is good, if boring coffee and a red delicious is mealy and tasteless, but ignore it for these purposes.)

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I know cold brew is the way to go when getting low-acidity coffee brewed, but is there a good way to minimize acidity using hot brew methods?

I'm really bad for forgetting things in my fridge.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I want to take a mypressi twist to work on my longer days, but I am not about to lug around a Baratza grinder!

Would it be absolutely terrible to grind 1-2 basket worth and keep it sealed in something airtight until I use it a few hours later?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I want to take a mypressi twist to work on my longer days, but I am not about to lug around a Baratza grinder!

Would it be absolutely terrible to grind 1-2 basket worth and keep it sealed in something airtight until I use it a few hours later?

Try it and see what you think. I did a blind trial of pre-ground versus fresh ground where my friend brewed the coffee so I didn't know which cup was which and I couldn't tell the difference. Some people are more sensitive tasters and can.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

kim jong-illin posted:

Try it and see what you think. I did a blind trial of pre-ground versus fresh ground where my friend brewed the coffee so I didn't know which cup was which and I couldn't tell the difference. Some people are more sensitive tasters and can.

Hopefully I will be ok then :p. I just need to find something to store it in that won't have a lot of dead air...

Is tamping the grinds into the basket and keeping it ready to go like that for hours better/worse than keeping it loose?

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Wouldn't needing to preheat the basket preclude that?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
My husband wants a new ceramic pour-over single cup thing. He referred to it as a Melitta. I'm not sure if that's the brand, or the style, or what. Any recommendations?

He has one now that is plastic, but wants a nicer ceramic style. I guess I'm confused because the only Melitta ones I see seem to be the same plastic style he already has.

EVG fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 10, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

My husband wants a new ceramic pour-over single cup thing. He referred to it as a Melitta. I'm not sure if that's the brand, or the style, or what. Any recommendations?

He has one now that is plastic, but wants a nicer ceramic style. I guess I'm confused because the only Melitta ones I see seem to be the same plastic style he already has.

Other brands have melitta style filter cones (single small hole) or you can get him a ceramic Hario v60. If you opt for the Hario you should also consider getting him a gooseneck kettle.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
....or if you are a horrible klutz with ceramic tile floors like me, just save yourself the time and $ and get the plastic Vario V60 cone and #2 filters. The Clever Coffee system (plastic) is also very good and lets you steep the water in the grounds for full buzz effect.

Also, remember that Cost Plus usually has a bunch of coffee supplies ranging from electric kettles to Ibrik's, Chemex brewers and various cheap ceramic (very heavy) pourover cones.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The funny thing is, Tom at Sweet Marias put the spergometer (refractometer for TDS) to the various filter cones and the plastic single small hole melitta was the one that most consistently hit the sweet spot.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I'm not looking for a plastic or cheap one (he already has one). I'd like a good quality one for a Christmas present. Problem is they all look the same to me.

Weird that the plastic one performed the best... but he's hard to buy for and requested a ceramic pour-over, so that's what he'll get!

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Hopefully I will be ok then :p. I just need to find something to store it in that won't have a lot of dead air...

That would be my concern. The more air there is in the container/bag, the more opportunity for flavor molecules to partition out of the grounds. You may want to try it out with something like the FoodSaver Handheld system or just make sure you squeeze out as much air as possible when you put it in a bag.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

I'm not looking for a plastic or cheap one (he already has one). I'd like a good quality one for a Christmas present. Problem is they all look the same to me.

Weird that the plastic one performed the best... but he's hard to buy for and requested a ceramic pour-over, so that's what he'll get!

Have you considered something like a roaster or a bonavita bv1800?

or a temperature sperg kettle?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

Have you considered something like a roaster or a bonavita bv1800?

or a temperature sperg kettle?

We have a really nice coffeemaker, vacuum siphon pot, espresso machine, great grinder, aeropress, and toddy maker. He's not interested in roasting. Not sure what you mean by the last?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

EVG posted:

We have a really nice coffeemaker, vacuum siphon pot, espresso machine, great grinder, aeropress, and toddy maker. He's not interested in roasting. Not sure what you mean by the last?

I assume he's referring to something like the bonavita variable temperature kettles that can hold water within a degree or two of temperature. It comes in gooseneck, so it'd be good for pourovers as well

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
So I kind of mistimed my order of two bags of coffee (drat you Verve roasters for being so fast! :v:) and I have a week or so of dead-time before I can bring it to my parents' house for the holidays and, where, presumably, they will freeze the other bag of coffee until they finish the first.

Would it be bad to freeze both bags now, take them out for an about ~24 hour trip (transport, 14hr plane, etc), then freeze them again? They're used to preground/starbucks so I'm not too worried about minor flavor loss, but I am worried the freeze-thaw-freeze cycle might screw up the beans more than just leaving them a week.

Beans were roasted on Friday, I assume, because that's when they shipped (I was expecting a Monday roast-ship).

Other questions: Is there a method to freeze them "well"? IE, do I have to worry about humidity or moisture in the freezer or something (I have a dinky minifridge).

For any east-coast goons (I'm CT), any roaster recommendations? I don't really like the local roaster in my rather small town, but ordering from CA seems rather expensive and far, considering the time it usually takes for them to get here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

For any east-coast goons (I'm CT), any roaster recommendations? I don't really like the local roaster in my rather small town, but ordering from CA seems rather expensive and far, considering the time it usually takes for them to get here.

Where in CT? J. Rene in West Hartford is really good. The owner is really professional, super friendly, and knows his stuff.