Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I found this guy I had this horrendous experience with on Preloved... It's why I'm hesitant to try again this way and want the comfort of a 14 day guarantee.
I will consider though. It very much depends on the shops. There's a local shop that has hand-feds in so I will have a look and see what kind of condition they're in before I commit to anything.

£300 is a bit out of my price range at the moment! I'm looking for around £150-ish. I will ask if he'll sell without the cage. It isn't fair to ask for more than that this year, I feel.

Thanks~~~

edit: Nah he won't sell just the bird. The search continues. :)

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

I don't think Kittens was doing that, but rather saying it's better where possible not to support pet stores by getting a bird from one, due to the whole creating-a-demand thing and encouraging them to get and keep more birds in less than ideal conditions. Even if the bird that you get is healthy, friendly, and so on. They're also often cheaper from a breeder, at least in my experience (both UK and here).

Fair enough! Sorry, Kittens. :) I was feeling awfully indignant at the time of posting.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

uglynoodles posted:

I found this guy I had this horrendous experience with on Preloved... It's why I'm hesitant to try again this way and want the comfort of a 14 day guarantee.
I will consider though. It very much depends on the shops. There's a local shop that has hand-feds in so I will have a look and see what kind of condition they're in before I commit to anything.

£300 is a bit out of my price range at the moment! I'm looking for around £150-ish. I will ask if he'll sell without the cage. It isn't fair to ask for more than that this year, I feel.

Thanks~~~

edit: Nah he won't sell just the bird. The search continues. :)
Have you tried looking in the local columns about pet adoption and sale? Some people have to give up their parrot (most common are usually budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds and sometimes conures) and you might be able to work something out with them. Sometimes they don't give their pets to rescues because they're afraid they'll get euthed or whatever.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I mean, I am the proud owner of a defective Petco conure, so I was mainly just trying to encourage her so she wouldn't just give up on breeders entirely. The 14 day guarantee is a nice thing for peace of mind, but I would expect that from a good breeder anyway.

Speaking of the defective little dinosaur, I started giving her some medicine from the vet for her liver. They say not to worry about it unless she finishes the course and is still showing high liver enzymes in her blood work. I still worry. Luckily, she likes the taste of it!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Speaking of defective conures; how did ritz's tests come back? Ive been wondering since you mentioned it sanchezz and I don't think you've said. :ohdear:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

Speaking of defective conures; how did ritz's tests come back? Ive been wondering since you mentioned it sanchezz and I don't think you've said. :ohdear:

Nothing grew on the culture, and when we took him back the 2nd time that doc said his choanal slit looked much better. So he said since nothing grew, its either an anaerobic bacteria (which they don't test for usually, because its many hundreds of dollars) or allergies. He got another week of baytril, and hopefully that kicks the whatever it is.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

What is with all of our conures having issues lately? Cheeky's eye looked much better the next day after I came home and the last of the redness went away today. I've been working on getting both birds to be in closer proximity to each other in order to curb their rare tiffs in the hopes they do not go at it so rough when they do clash. Both Baby and Cheeky seem to be getting the idea that fighting=not happy mommy and are quick to stop themselves from leaning towards the other with an open beak when I say "no." They may never be friends, but I want them to get to the point where they could be right next to one another and just pretend the other isn't there.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Great to hear Sanchezz! I love hearing about Ritz's antics.

This just popped up in the gifs thread

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

YOU LOOKIN AT MY EGG??? HUH? YOU BETTER NOT BE!

That's awesome :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I leave on the 18th to go to the UK for Christmas/New Year, and my partner will be going away on the 26th until New Year at least, so birds are to be boarded at the vet. I'm terrified just thinking about it. :(

They're not avian vets-the avian vet works elsewhere, only on certain days, and there was no room there for cages. The one that they'll be at is barely much bigger. I'm so worried about so many things, and it's really sad to think that Ohtori won't be getting daily love/baths/out of cage time for more than a few minutes. Steve is... Steve, so aside from repetitive behaviours of freaking out on the side of his cage and not getting much exercise, and possible regression re:tameness, I'm not so bothered about how he'll deal with it.

What if they use teflon products? What if they reinforce bad behaviours, like screaming? What if he ends up just being left all day because they're busy or don't really care? Will he still be as tame at the end of it? What if they yell at him for biting or screaming? What if he gets out? What if someone breaks in?! Noooo

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Battle Pigeon posted:

What if they use teflon products? What if they reinforce bad behaviours, like screaming? What if he ends up just being left all day because they're busy or don't really care? Will he still be as tame at the end of it? What if they yell at him for biting or screaming? What if he gets out? What if someone breaks in?! Noooo

Look at the bright side, if he's not being boarded with other parrots, he probably won't learn some awesome new big bird shrieks like Ozzy did the first time we boarded him with our avian vet :haw: Ohtori will be fine. He will either be SUPER happy to see you and clingy when you go to pick him up, or he will be a little bitchy at you for a couple days to punish you and then go back to normal.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Got offered a greencheek conure this morning and had to turn it down because my husband wouldn't be able to tolerate the noise. Poor girl will probably end up with the Lily Sanctuary in Los Angeles, her current people have crazy commutes and are routinely gone for 11 hours a day. We're going to take their parrotlet though, for double the furious peeping. (Anyone in CA/AZ need a conure?)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Scary Ned posted:

Got offered a greencheek conure this morning and had to turn it down because my husband wouldn't be able to tolerate the noise. Poor girl will probably end up with the Lily Sanctuary in Los Angeles, her current people have crazy commutes and are routinely gone for 11 hours a day. We're going to take their parrotlet though, for double the furious peeping. (Anyone in CA/AZ need a conure?)

Is it any closer to LA than Santa Barbara?

E: If they're in LA, we'd love to meet her! Also, do you know how old, and is she snuggly?

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 6, 2012

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Take it to PMs, folks. This isn't Petfinder.

This made me laugh:
http://www.nuklearpower.com/2010/08/12/flight-of-the-terror-birds/

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Scary Ned posted:

Pffft! My conure is far quieter than my cockatiel, tell your husband to get a cage ready. :3:

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
Green cheeks are pretty seriously quiet unless something is startling them or they feel lonely.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
"No."

Wozbo posted:

Green cheeks are pretty seriously quiet unless something is startling them or they feel lonely.
Yeah, but holy god if they decide to scream it's a really grating sound, not like the trills that cockatiels make. But yeah, they're generally cute little hyperactive, quiet lizards. :3:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Chiyo's first birthday is coming up. What do you get the bird that deserves nothing? At the very least, we're stuffing her inside a party hat.

My mom managed to snatch a picture of me napping with the one bird that isn't an ungrateful wretch in this house.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Awww. Green cheeks are the best nap buddies. Is that Zeke or Zoe?

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Yeah, but holy god if they decide to scream it's a really grating sound, not like the trills that cockatiels make. But yeah, they're generally cute little hyperactive, quiet lizards. :3:

Maybe Blue-Throated conures are different, or maybe I'm weird, but I'll take Ohtori's yelling over Steve's any day. Steve is shrill and piercing and awful, Ohtori just makes a loud noise.

Official Bizness posted:

Chiyo's first birthday is coming up. What do you get the bird that deserves nothing? At the very least, we're stuffing her inside a party hat.

My mom managed to snatch a picture of me napping with the one bird that isn't an ungrateful wretch in this house.

I hope Ohtori will have a change of heart and act like this one day, because :3:

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

I feel kinda bad, but I can't help but snicker at that. Keep hope! This lovebird, chilling and preening adorably while my wife is playing piano, was the bane of my existence for a good year and a half. She is now an intense cuddle-bug.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

African Grey driving a specially made buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO2TR_8jXPc

After the first shot where he's just chewing on the controls, it looks like he really seems to understand he's the one making it move, and how. He's a pretty good driver :3:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That's awesome. I have the feeling my Grey would just think 'gently caress this poo poo' and just yell for a human to pick him up and take him where he wants to go.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

New trick: Teaching Parrot to Parallel Park.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I just picked this sprouter up for my bird and it's great!
http://www.amazon.com/Sproutamo-Easy-Sprout-Sprouter/dp/B000GHUD86/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2

I've been making batches of sprouts in a glass jar for weeks, and this thing makes it even easier with my work schedule. Cheap too.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

That bird buggy video is the greatest drat thing I've ever seen, but chalk up another five birds in the "gently caress this" side of learning.

Lesnwork: And there's no molding? Hm.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

How many birds does it take to occupy a happy hut?

I want all of them :3:

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.

Battle Pigeon posted:

African Grey driving a specially made buggy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO2TR_8jXPc

After the first shot where he's just chewing on the controls, it looks like he really seems to understand he's the one making it move, and how. He's a pretty good driver :3:

he's got a few other videos up of his bird driving prototype buggies, it definitely has some understanding of how it works.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Why does Scout get really mad when she sees us cleaning up her poops? If she is able to she will attack us while we wipe them up.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Because those are beautiful works of art and you are interfering.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I am obviously too pedestrian to appreciate modern art.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
No molding yet. My current self made mix has several kinds of beans and quinoa- the quinoa's shorter sprout time than the beans/lentils has me checking it constantly but it still looks and smells fine. I'll probably change up future mixes so the times are all even but so far so good.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Thanks to all you guys' support and a few peoples' help, I got a handraised horrible dinosaur from a local shop. Black Cap Conure.

They're really good with their birds, these guys came from a local breeder, they all get socialization time. This one I got has been with some other birds for a while but it doesn't seem to affect him much, as he was OK coming onto the hand when we got home to try and put him in the cage. He didn't want to go in though, and seems much more interested in spending some time with us both. Seems really interested in being on shoulders and hands, and has been nibbling my earring for a while. Seems fascinated by it! Haven't had too much problem getting him off the shoulder, either, which is good and he wants to explore.

He got excited when I made tea and kept trying to get me to give him some. I let him have a tiny sip when it had cooled down quite a bit. He tasted it, seemed satisfied it was not a Bird Drink, and then went about his business. He is now preening himself on the back of my chair.

He seems to know not to poop on people. He was on my hand, then scuttled down to my leg to let one loose, then came back up. I guess he thought I 'ended' there. I give him points for effort. :)

I'm actually not sure as to the sex of the bird. The feet are rather light grey with pink, whereas Ridley's were black. This leads me to believe it might be female.

I'm thinking of calling the bird "Dinosaur," or "Iroh" because of the tea drinking escapade, but I don't know just yet. I did really like Kittens calling them awful dinosaurs. I want a unisex name in case my suspicions are correct and one day they lay an egg!

Thanks everyone. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. :parrot:

uglynoodles fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 8, 2012

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

uglynoodles posted:

I'm thinking of calling the bird "Dinosaur," or "Iroh" because of the tea drinking escapade, but I don't know just yet. I did really like Kittens calling them awful dinosaurs. I want a unisex name in case my suspicions are correct and one day they lay an egg!

"Flyroh."

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

uglynoodles posted:

I'm thinking of calling the bird "Dinosaur,"

Dinah(saur) if a girl, or Danny(saur) if a boy ;)

Terry(dactyl) ?
Tyrone Rex?

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 8, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

There was a story on the SCP website about a tiny little pterodactyl named Pterry. If it's a boy, you should name him Pterry. :3:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I am the worst bird owner today. I uncovered Ozzy this morning and he immediately started FREAKING OUT. So I am looking out the window wondering if a big bird flew by or what... Nope, I forgot that I put a new box within sight of his cage last night :ughh: Birds.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

"No."

Pip pip pip posted:

I am the worst bird owner today. I uncovered Ozzy this morning and he immediately started FREAKING OUT. So I am looking out the window wondering if a big bird flew by or what... Nope, I forgot that I put a new box within sight of his cage last night :ughh: Birds.
Birds indeed. :3:

Iroh is an awesome name, name him/her Iroh! Oh my god black capped conures are cuddly and awesome too, they're basically like green cheek conures but a little smaller. :3:

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

I should be getting a yellow-sided GCC here in the next month or two! Managed to actually find a breeder up here in AK (they have crimson bellies too!) and have started making arrangements to meet them. They have two birds that are 1 1/2 years old that have been together for their whole lives but I'm just looking to get one. Will it bond with me, or should I just wait for a new batch of babies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffyhawk
Jun 30, 2005

FHNNNNNNN
Ramrod XTreme
Bonus chirps pathetically until I pet her. I will have no peace until this bird gets scratched: