Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

The Albany Pessimists select 1996 Gary Sheffield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Draft board for the new page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkF311T6qtJidFJyZDFJNGpjRFllVG80MzFmTWJGQVE#gid=0

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

What could I say that this picture doesn't?

Anyway, I'll think about it. Now go and make your pick.

Here lie the Woodchucks
Broken Hearted
Came To Compete
But Only Farted

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I guess it took my non-involvement to bring the thread to new heights.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I really like dingers, so

With their third pick, the Providence Barons select Prince Fielder

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Finally, the Bloggers are happy to say they're going to make a pick they plan to keep. Welcome to the World Wide Web, 2010 Robinson Cano! :toot:

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Hey someone trade me a backup middle infielder so I don't have to use my last pick on Tony Fernandez or whatever TIA

edit: VVV confirmed

Monicro fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 8, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hey y'all, I got Monicro covered, he's getting 1934 Odell Hale for two PTBNL. The players will be named from anyone he leaves off his 30-man.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Tornados select Steve, Prince of Fate

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

CraigK posted:

New Orleans Mashers Trade Block

'64 Jim Fregosi - Didn't hit worth a drat for me, but rolled an 86/95 and could wreck poo poo in the Super League.

'10 Cliff Lee - My lovely defense let him down, but is a 91 OVR and doesn't give up many dingers and will pitch very well if you have an average defense behind him.

not Dick Allen - Dick Allen is Ours and You Can't Have Him

Looking for OFers, basically.

I have fond memories of Cliff Lee... Take my Kirk Gibson!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

New page, so putting this out there again.

The Whalers trading block:
1995 Derek Jeter

The Whalers needs:
Center Field

PM me, or hit me up in IRC to discuss a trade.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Mornacale posted:

Hey y'all, I got Monicro covered, he's getting 1934 Odell Hale for two PTBNL. The players will be named from anyone he leaves off his 30-man.

As a former owner of 1934 Odell Hale, I'd like to congratulate Mornacale on this robbery.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

The Goog posted:

As a former owner of 1934 Odell Hale, I'd like to congratulate Mornacale on this robbery.

And Smasher mocked me for winning every Superstars 2B at auction.

I like this trade especially because now Monicro and I are in a showdown over his roster decisions.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
IceMole

You're on the clock!

Also, the Oranges picked Ichiro Suzuki

Smasher Dynamo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 8, 2012

IceMole
Aug 1, 2009

The Unicorns will take 1971 Catfish Hunter.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

With the millionth pick in the draft, the Seattle Suicides take 1943 Bill Dickey.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

The Dubai Dervishes select 2006 Vladimir Guerrero with the 54th pick in the draft.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Bloggers select 1996 Kevin Brown with the 55th pick of the Dispersal Draft.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

The Failures select, at 56, 1971 Rollie Fingers

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers

We're still looking to trade 1995 Greg Maddux and/or 1946 Sherm Lollar. I'm expanding our targets to SS, 3B, or 1B, preferably right-handed.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

mrnoun posted:

Luna LandersWe're still looking to trade 1995 Greg Maddux and/or 1946 Sherm Lollar. I'm expanding our targets to SS, 3B, or 1B, preferably right-handed.

Right-handed first baseman, you say? I do have 2011 Paul Konerko... don't know if you're looking for a HoF career or if handedness makes up for the fact he might never get to 500 HR (though he did do nicely for me in the EC!). Only really interested in Maddux, I think.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Anyone in the next 5-8 picks, I'd love to trade up from #72.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Right-handed first baseman, you say? I do have 2011 Paul Konerko... don't know if you're looking for a HoF career or if handedness makes up for the fact he might never get to 500 HR (though he did do nicely for me in the EC!). Only really interested in Maddux, I think.

Sorry, no interest at all in old Konerko. I'm looking for a really big RH bat in his prime, since it's peak Greg Maddux we're talking about.

After looking over my team, I think I can actually manage with any position but 2B and C, the initial "SS, 3B, or 1B" underestimated my team's defensive versatility.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mrnoun posted:

Luna Landers

We're still looking to trade 1995 Greg Maddux and/or 1946 Sherm Lollar. I'm expanding our targets to SS, 3B, or 1B, preferably right-handed.

If you want to build a package around 95 Derek Jeter, we could probably work something out.

E: for Greg Maddox, that is.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 9, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

mks5000 posted:

If you want to build a package around 95 Derek Jeter, we could probably work something out.

As a Red Sox fan, I am not particularly enamored of Derek Jeter.

If you're willing to talk Mike Schmidt, I am positive we could work something out. Maddux is not my only trade asset!

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

mrnoun posted:

Sorry, no interest at all in old Konerko. I'm looking for a really big RH bat in his prime, since it's peak Greg Maddux we're talking about.

Absolutely makes sense - just wasn't sure how you were valuing Maddux since you're actively shopping him and grouping him with a pretty unremarkable C. I'll toss 2004 Miguel Tejada's name out there - not as long a prime as Jeter, but I'd rather take the guy at his peak ('04 was when he actually outhit his 2002 MVP year) than the rookie several years from getting good.

I'd probably need to look at options for filling the SS gap I'd be creating in that situation, though - don't know who you're running out there right now, but I'm not too comfortable with my other shortstops.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mike Schmidt is untradeble sorry. If you want to pass on a proven SS like Jeter because of a bias then so be it. :smug:

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 9, 2012

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Absolutely makes sense - just wasn't sure how you were valuing Maddux since you're actively shopping him and grouping him with a pretty unremarkable C. I'll toss 2004 Miguel Tejada's name out there - not as long a prime as Jeter, but I'd rather take the guy at his peak ('04 was when he actually outhit his 2002 MVP year) than the rookie several years from getting good.

I'd probably need to look at options for filling the SS gap I'd be creating in that situation, though - don't know who you're running out there right now, but I'm not too comfortable with my other shortstops.

"mks5000 posted:

Mike Schmidt is unreadable, sorry. If you want to pass on a proven SS like Jeter because of a bias then so be it.

All right, cards on the table, since even I'm starting to lose track of exactly what my plan was here.

Right now, my offense looks like this:

LF Tim Raines '85, .320/.405/.475
2B Eddie Collins '11, .365/.451/.481
DH Manny Ramirez '04, .308/.397/.613
C Josh Gibson
CF Joe DiMaggio '38, .324/.386/.581
RF Hank Aaron '65, .318/.379/.560
3B George Brett '79, .329/.376/.563
SS Nomar Garciaparra '99, .357/.418/.603
1B HUGE loving HOLE

And my defense looks like this:

C Josh Gibson
1B Doesn't matter
2B Eddie Collins
3B George Brett
SS HUGE loving HOLE
LF Tim Raines
CF Joe DiMaggio
RF Hank Aaron

If I can trade for a quality shortstop who can play defense and hit at a super league level, I can move Nomar to first base and solve both problems. This was Plan A, which fell through when I couldn't trade up in the draft for A-Rod.

If, instead, I trade for a 1st baseman, I solve my offensive problem and live with Nomar at shortstop.

If I trade for a 3rd baseman, I move Brett's iffy defense to 1st base and live with Nomar at short.

If I trade for an outfielder, I move Raines to first base and live with Nomar at short.

My starting pitching looks like this:

1999 Pedro Martinez
1985 Roger Clemens
1995 Greg Maddux
1946 Bob Feller
1977 Rick Reuschel
1979 Don Sutton
1980 J.R. Richard
1979 Larry Gura
1918 Slim Love

Maddux is at best my 3rd starter, but also an incredibly valuable trading piece. If I can turn him into something that fixes my position problems, I have other great pitchers to take his place. It makes sense to see if I can do that, doesn't it?

mks5000

The real issue with Jeter is he doesn't fix either problem, because he doesn't have first base power, and he's not good defensively. I was just being glib, I've had Jeter on my team before and it doesn't actually bug me. You can see how Schmidt, with his mix of offense and defense, instantly solves my offense issue and helps decrease the impact of my defensive issue, though.

Faustoian Bargain

Tejada is an interesting proposition, but he has a history of struggling in the Super League, and Maddux remains a valuable bargaining chip. Would you be willing to accept a lesser pitcher, plus my backup shortstop (1948 Eddie Joost)? Alternately, would you be willing to add something to Tejada, or include some kind of insurance policy, in case I get Bad Tejada?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Wow, mrnoun, I mean, HEH, AHEM, I've got an MVP-quality first baseman on my bench?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
In addition to the Puckett I mentioned, I also have both '90 Hrbek and '68 Norm Cash if you can upgrade my pitching (not necessarily to Maddux ofc). My current number 5 is '68 Lolich, who's nice but doesn't have the ground ball rate I'm looking for, and I could always use bullpen help. Or if you can give me a better 2B than Cano.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011

With the 57th pick in the Super-League Dispersal Draft, the Bulldogs select 1960 Nellie Fox.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
With the 58th pick, the Providence Barons reluctantly select 2006 K-Rod

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mrnoun posted:

Luna Landers

2006 Justin Morneau isn't right-handed but he sure can mash dingers at 1B!

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem
:siren: HEY LOOK TRADE PROPOSALS :siren:

Mornacale, I hear that you're looking to trade up your pick. I need bullpen arms and/or a new catcher, but I can't tell in the mess of trades you've made who you actually still have in either of those categories. Who among your remaining players would you be willing to trade in those categories for the current sitting draft pick?

(And we can add Blue into the mix if you need a solid backup at 1B, though I don't know if you do.)

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mrnoun posted:

Luna Landers

Magglio Ordonez says he plays RF, but I'm sure he could easily play 1B as well.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

mrnoun posted:

Tejada is an interesting proposition, but he has a history of struggling in the Super League, and Maddux remains a valuable bargaining chip. Would you be willing to accept a lesser pitcher, plus my backup shortstop (1948 Eddie Joost)? Alternately, would you be willing to add something to Tejada, or include some kind of insurance policy, in case I get Bad Tejada?

I'm really not seeing any value from Joost, and I can't see parting with my only decent SS (now I'm scared of his SL history, but think the rest of my team can still make up for it) for one of the inferior starters... what sort of insurance policy or additional player would you want? If we did that, I'd probably want to make the whole thing dependent on me finding another SS in the next 72 hours or something, just so neither of us has to sit around worrying if we made a huge mistake.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

mrnoun posted:

If, instead, I trade for a 1st baseman, I solve my offensive problem and live with Nomar at shortstop.

I have 1 1946 Johnny Mize to a good home. Hit me up on the IRC~

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Faustoan Bargain posted:

I'm really not seeing any value from Joost, and I can't see parting with my only decent SS (now I'm scared of his SL history, but think the rest of my team can still make up for it) for one of the inferior starters... what sort of insurance policy or additional player would you want? If we did that, I'd probably want to make the whole thing dependent on me finding another SS in the next 72 hours or something, just so neither of us has to sit around worrying if we made a huge mistake.

I would not object to waiting until you find another shortstop, though I'm going to keep looking for other options, just in case.

Here's the insurance plan I've been thinking about :

At the time of the Super Draft:

IF Tejada's OBP < .300 (he's not contributing on offense)
AND Tejada's DRAA < 0 (and he's also playing bad defense)
OR if one of them is truly lousy (OBP < .250, or DRAA < -10)

THEN the Landers have the right to one of the following:

-Return Tejada to the Commies, in return for your 1st round pick, to draft a new shortstop;
-Exchange our 1st round pick for your 1st round pick, if you decide you'd rather have a pick than Tejada back;
-Or, if your pick ends up being in, say, the Top 5 (really really valuable), you can opt to void the deal and return Maddux for Tejada, keeping your pick.

That way, worst case, you get to borrow Maddux for a couple months, and then I get to go through all this again, but at least no one's been hurt permanently.
Best case, Tejada plays fine, and we're both better off for the deal.

Monicro posted:

I have 1 1946 Johnny Mize to a good home. Hit me up on the IRC~

I like Johnny Mize a lot, but I'd prefer a right-handed hitter if possible, my park is built for them. I will keep this offer in mind, though.

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

mrnoun, that sounds reasonable enough. So:

I'm looking for a shortstop!

I've got a decent amount of starting depth (admittedly aces, but solid middle-back end guys), including 1964 Bobs Friend and Veale (L); 2011 Jake Peavy, Gavin Floyd, John Danks (L), Edwin Jackson, and Mark Buehrle (L); and 2012 Jordan Zimmermann, Ross Detwiler (L), and Edwin Jackson.

I've got enough 1B options to deal EXPANSION CUP ALL-STAR 2011 Paul Konerko (or perhaps you'd like to try your luck on the power of 2012 Adam LaRoche!).

Looking for a backup backstop? Try '64 Smoky Burgess or Jim Pagliaroni!

In the outfield, I've got the one and only Bryce Harper if you want to roll the dice on a rookie (he was decent but only stopped platooning in the EC because Jayson Werth fell off a cliff) and 1964 Jerry Lynch.

Obviously, there's a wide range of quality there, but my shortstop options beyond Tejada (and Melvin Mora, I suppose) are pretty terrible. (Unless you're a fan of Alexei Ramirez, in which case, by all means, I'd be willing to part with that valuable infield asset for the right cost!)

Faustoan Bargain fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

UZworm posted:

:siren: HEY LOOK TRADE PROPOSALS :siren:

Mornacale, I hear that you're looking to trade up your pick. I need bullpen arms and/or a new catcher, but I can't tell in the mess of trades you've made who you actually still have in either of those categories. Who among your remaining players would you be willing to trade in those categories for the current sitting draft pick?

(And we can add Blue into the mix if you need a solid backup at 1B, though I don't know if you do.)

I'm phone posting, so alas I can't link you our make a specific offer, but if you check my recent posts I've been repeatedly linking to a Google spreadsheet that lists every marginally interesting player I own. Take a gander and make me an offer. I'm especially interested in sending over my last pick (#72 I think); there's one guy i really want and then I'm mostly set.

I'm pretty happy with my 1B situation, but I won't categorically rule anything out. My starter's Gehrig though, so an offer would have to be real impressive.