Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!
I like interchangeable circulars so that I can have multiple sizes of needles and cables, but Knit Picks doesn't make interchangeables smaller than 4 US and cables smaller than 24". I think that's really annoying and limits what I can and cannot knit (or have to buy extra standard circs for).

Do you ladies recommend other interchangeable systems? So far I've seen Skacel Addi (which are out of my budget), HiyaHiya, and Knitter's Pride...I have no idea how good any of these are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

ackapoo posted:

I like interchangeable circulars so that I can have multiple sizes of needles and cables, but Knit Picks doesn't make interchangeables smaller than 4 US and cables smaller than 24". I think that's really annoying and limits what I can and cannot knit (or have to buy extra standard circs for).

Do you ladies recommend other interchangeable systems? So far I've seen Skacel Addi (which are out of my budget), HiyaHiya, and Knitter's Pride...I have no idea how good any of these are.

The Knitter's Pride needles are the same as the knitpicks ones, but in less eyeball bleeding colors.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

GabrielAisling posted:

The Knitter's Pride needles are the same as the knitpicks ones, but in less eyeball bleeding colors.

Knitter's Pride also makes a shorter tip version and a 16" cable. I have the 16 inch cable and use it with my Knitpicks tips, it works fine although it's a bit tight because the tips are long. As far as I know Hiya Hiya sets go down to needle size 2 and come with a 16" cable, but I haven't had my hands on any. They're all limited by the size of their join.

Also - less eyebleeding colors for Knitter's Pride? HAH! Those things are hideous colors. I like their black cables though.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

Hey knitters, would anyone have a suggestion on what I can knit for an infant in Hawaii? I'd think that she wouldn't need a hat or sweater or the like, since it's Hawaii, but I don't know babies. Would a baby even need blankets in 80 degree weather?

A cotton or silk mix cardigan might be a good idea, it gets chilly out there under air-con or in the evenings.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

This is a great little pullover vest pattern for hot climates. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/felipe

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

GabrielAisling posted:

LOL! My makeshift set is in Sunstruck because I hated the colors. I didn't know Knitter's Pride was made by Knit Picks (sort of). I may ask for the Hiya Hiya ones for Christmas; they seem to be well-liked for the price by everyone who uses them. I usually use needles between 2-8 and in cables from 16-40", and I had to stop myself from starting a project because I didn't want to make it bigger just because I didn't have the correct cable size.

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Knitter's Pride have tips that go down below size 4. I have almost a complete set of theirs in the nickel plated. I'm tired of the screw on tips though since I've run into problems with some of the cables having weird screw sections that won't let my needle fully screw onto the cable. I'm also tired of worrying that they will come unscrewed in the middle of something and find myself constantly re-tightening them. My husband got me the skacel addi click turbos for Christmas. We have trouble keeping gifts secret ;)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
What are the Harmony tips like? Are they nice and smooth? I actually like the colors and was kinda considering getting a set for myself. I have the metal set and it's very slippery. Love the cables though.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

What are the Harmony tips like? Are they nice and smooth? I actually like the colors and was kinda considering getting a set for myself. I have the metal set and it's very slippery. Love the cables though.

I think they're a nice mix of smooth, but not TOO smooth. But obviously YMMV. I do hate bamboo/less treated wood needles because they're too grabby (and I knit tightly), but for me, metal needles can be too slippery for fussy projects. I think they make a nice mix. They're pretty pointy for wood needles, too. If you have a set of the nickel plated ones, you could just order a pair of the Harmony tips, it'll be like $5 to try it.

If I could get Harmony tips with Addi style joins, I would be in total heaven.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Just finished a thing: From Russia With Love.

The yarn was kind of chunky so luckily I didn't have to adjust the pattern for my big head.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

It's actually quite complicated - involving calculus - to figure out the right set of numbers for sleeves/armscye and I don't understand it either. But, I think these things tend to have semi-standard numbers so it might not be too hard to find another pattern that you can use.

Another thing would be to pick up stitches from around the arm hole and knit the sleeve downwards, see if you can find instructions for "top down set in sleeve".

Aw nuts. Calculus is scary! I kind of like the idea of top-down sleeve though... How hard can it be? (oh god so hard :ohdear:)

zamiel posted:

Have you gone through the finished projects to see if anyone else altered the sleeves? It's one of my standard tricks when I want to change something, because someone once told me not to repeat someone else's work/research if you didn't have to. Bastard made me lazy.

A couple of people made some sleeve edits that will de-poof it a bit (though not UN-poof it), I think I'll try knitting one up like that and see if that works.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Is it possible to shrink down superwash wool without feling it? I've made a sweet pair of gloves but they're just a little too baggy. I'd hate to have to tear them apart and start over :/

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

rear end Crackers! posted:

Is it possible to shrink down superwash wool without feling it? I've made a sweet pair of gloves but they're just a little too baggy. I'd hate to have to tear them apart and start over :/

Don't know about shrinking but you could line them - that would take up extra space AND make them extra warm.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Don't know about shrinking but you could line them - that would take up extra space AND make them extra warm.

I've never done that before, actually. Would I have to hand sew a lining in? I suppose felt or flannel would be amazing in there.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

I've never done that before, actually. Would I have to hand sew a lining in? I suppose felt or flannel would be amazing in there.

Fleece would be good too! A friend of mine always lines wool hats for her son with fleece because he's got really sensitive skin and most wool makes him itch.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

You could sew it in, or just pick up stitches around the cuff and basically knit another mitten. Then you just tuck that one inside the other one. Maybe use thinner yarn.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Think I've knitted myself in to a wrist injury. They aren't bad yet but they are starting to hurt. Other than laying off the drat knitting, obviously, and wearing compression bandages, is there anything I can do to help/prevent this? I've also gone back to working full-time (as a barista, which is hard on the wrists too), and I've still got a stack of Christmas presents to finish, so this is really bad timing :(.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Make sure to take a lot of quick breaks to stretch things out. I knit REALLY tightly so my hands/wrists get sore fairly quickly, but that helps a lot.

Guys, I went to my LYS and they had a big ol' box full of their sample colors of MadTosh Light Merino (which is almost never in stock) so I actually got to compare colors in person! I was only there for needles, but the MadTosh broke me. I got two skeins to use for a Catkin, but.... I think I'll hang onto them and find a third to do a Color Attraction. Oh my, so many beautiful color combos, it took me forever to decide!

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm sorry if there's a better thread of this, but crossposting this from SA Mart:

Looking for custom knitting work - 3 humiliating reindeer hats for dogs

rawrr posted:

I just came across this picture:

And I'd like to get one for my dog, and probably two more as xmas presents. Here are some pattern notes and some more pictures: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/kmarissa/deer-with-little-antlers-hat

Could you please give me an idea of how much this will cost, and how long it will take?

Please get in touch via PM, rync (at) outlook (dot) com or post in this thread, thanks!

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Never mind, I'll just swatch it :)

left_unattended fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 12, 2012

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
New Knitty is up! There are actually some good patterns this time around. Of course my favorite sweater there has a thorn in the name so you'll never be able to search for it on Ravelry. I'm sure that won't affect its popularity at all. :bravo:

Other positives: Fitful Head, Hibernate (but I'll never in my life do it), maybe Sallah (would want to see more projects). Nennir is a pretty cable pattern, but the fabric would be all wrong for a cowl.

Negatives: Ruth features a photoshop of horrors. Jerusha is a lot of intricate work, but unfortunately beyond hideous. Carbs and 221B are exactly the kind of ~*quirky*~ and really ugly Look I'm A Nerd stuff that's right up Knitty's alley.

rawrr posted:

I'm sorry if there's a better thread of this, but crossposting this from SA Mart:

Looking for custom knitting work - 3 humiliating reindeer hats for dogs
This is the right thread! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think this is happening this year. There's less than two weeks until Christmas; allow a week for shipping, and a knitter would have to do three hats in a week -- at the busiest time of the year.

It's probably also a lot pricier than you may be thinking. I would charge at least $25/hat plus materials, and even then I would consider that very cheap, since there's no clear pattern and it'll be time-consuming. Add shipping and materials and the original antler pattern, and you're looking at $100+, which may not be worth it for a little gag gift.

It is super cute, though. If you're interested even at those prices+, I would try again for next year, starting earlier. Bear in mind it'll also be hard to fit your dog -- I don't think I would trust it unless I could try it on her constantly. At a minimum, a knitter would need good measurements, which would be okay for your dog but might be hard for the dogs you want to surprise.

e: you know what, why not check in the crochet thread? The fabric would look different, but crochet is much quicker, and it's easier to shape as you go. They would be winging it with no guarantees, but I think your odds of getting something on time might be a little better.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 12, 2012

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Negatives: Ruth features a photoshop of horrors

She looks less real than Jessica Rabbit.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Anne Whateley posted:

Carbs and 221B are exactly the kind of ~*quirky*~ and really ugly Look I'm A Nerd stuff that's right up Knitty's alley.

In 221B's defense, the smiley face is optional, and the pattern designer is a teenaged girl. The hat without the smiley is actually quite nice, and would be a great gift for a Sherlock fan.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Negatives: Ruth features a photoshop of horrors.

:byodame:SMOOTH TOOL!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
New Knitty? Time for me to get my hate on! :toot:

Mochi would be pretty cute if the arms weren't so drat bulky looking. It just looks like something went horribly wrong with the pattern on the arms and she decided to keep it.

Carbs and 221B wouldn't be so bad without whole "Haha I'm so clever please check out my Pinterest board filled with Dr. Who memes" feeling behind them both. Oh, and the pom-poms on the mittens. Those are just terrible.

Lilaceous is beautiful, but I hate the choice of yarn they used for the sample piece. Between the white background and the model's white clothes it looks really washed out. Maybe something that would show off the stitches better?

That being said I really like Rime, and would totally make one for myself in grey if I had any amount of free time to do so. Same with hibernate. Beautiful, but way too time consuming.

Also just look at Ruth's model just look at her.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Anne Whateley posted:

New Knitty is up! There are actually some good patterns this time around. Of course my favorite sweater there has a thorn in the name so you'll never be able to search for it on Ravelry. I'm sure that won't affect its popularity at all. :bravo:

Its actually an eth! Which the voiced counterpart to a thorn, at least.

There's actually some stuff I like in this knitty, but I'm still at the lumpy scarf level of skill. Really liking Rime.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

Its actually an eth! Which the voiced counterpart to a thorn, at least.
Doh! See I knew it was pointlessly confusing :colbert:

Rime has some neat features even though I don't love the look of the allover pattern. But the sizing is a huge mistake. It looks like they only realized today that two of the sizes don't work, and from their note, there are no fixes forthcoming -- just knit another size. This means that you can choose between a 40.75" bust and a 49" bust. And that eliminates everyone over a 36D or a 38C or a 40 anything (until you get back up to a 36L or something). Really not a good idea.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I kinda like Darrowby and I even have some fleece it would work well with, except I've still got to get it processed and there's no way I have the patience to spin an entire sweater's worth of yarn on a spindle. So whatever man. (also with how the weather's been it might be too warm for my climate. loving global warming)

EDIT: "After that the project took on a daily rhythm. I would produce a 200-yard skein of 4-ply in an evening - weigh fiber for blending, then flick, card, spin, ply -- then wash and hang to set the twist overnight. " ...does having an actual carder and wheel speed things up that much, or is it just not having a crippling internet addiction? Because holy gently caress.

MarsDragon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 12, 2012

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I really like the Kittiwake, and it figures it's by the fit to flatter lady. Her designs always look good.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

This is the right thread! Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think this is happening this year. There's less than two weeks until Christmas; allow a week for shipping, and a knitter would have to do three hats in a week -- at the busiest time of the year.

It's probably also a lot pricier than you may be thinking. I would charge at least $25/hat plus materials, and even then I would consider that very cheap, since there's no clear pattern and it'll be time-consuming. Add shipping and materials and the original antler pattern, and you're looking at $100+, which may not be worth it for a little gag gift.

It is super cute, though. If you're interested even at those prices+, I would try again for next year, starting earlier. Bear in mind it'll also be hard to fit your dog -- I don't think I would trust it unless I could try it on her constantly. At a minimum, a knitter would need good measurements, which would be okay for your dog but might be hard for the dogs you want to surprise.

e: you know what, why not check in the crochet thread? The fabric would look different, but crochet is much quicker, and it's easier to shape as you go. They would be winging it with no guarantees, but I think your odds of getting something on time might be a little better.

Thanks for the helpful reply and insights! I actually had no idea how much work goes into one of these and the design/planning involved. $25 plus mats was more than I was hoping to spend, but sounds reasonable after what you've described.

I think I'd like to stick with knitting, but I'll take your advice and try again next year, thanks though!

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
I only really loved the one pair of socks, early bird, and the FSM mittens, but I have a thing for that style. Dunno what it's called tho, but I have a ton of those queued that I'll get to "someday."

I finished my first shawl, sothia on Ravelry, over a month ago. I was knitting it while I visited my grandfather so I had something to remember him by and finished it the day before he passed away. I've never woven in ends on anything with such a thin yarn and no where to really hide it, like in a seam or along the bind off, so I kinda threw it in the bag that morning and figured I'd get to it some day. Thankfully there's just the CO, BO and 2 where the color changed in a large spot. My usual method would cross the stripes, too, so any tips appreciated.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Jyrraeth posted:

There's actually some stuff I like in this knitty, but I'm still at the lumpy scarf level of skill. Really liking Rime.

Me too. I want to do something interesting after I finish a couple of Christmas scarves as gifts and I really like the look of Less Is More (probably just because of the colors). But I don't want to make something I really want and have it turn out lopsided.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'd make mochi without the ribbons and maybe nennir. Metalouse looks cool but I don't need even more shawls.

Spiteful
Apr 26, 2009
O, knitting gurus... I humbly seek your combined knowledge of patterns to try and find a sweater/jumper that will work with a 14ply/super bulky wool. Its for a man (I know I am tempting fate here) and he has requested something that isn't too boring, but also isn't too intricate.

I haven't had much luck with google or ravelry so i'm hoping you might have seen something on your travels that may be appropriate.
Thanks!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I'd give that Metalouse shawl a try, maybe. I like slipped-stitch colorwork a lot. Maybe it's just the one in the pictures, though, but it looks like it really, really wants to un-block itself and bunch up into a weird skinny lump.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Wow, I really like Darroby but yeah, like someone else said...no way would I try spinning for it. Yikes. Also really like Argentière and Ruth, I guess I just like any sort of cabled cardigan or sweater. They just look so cozy and thick!

Lilaceous is super pretty too. I might make that out of the thousands of yards of leftover alpaca silk I'm going to have when I finish my Aeolian (that is, some time in 2057).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

rawrr posted:

Thanks for the helpful reply and insights! I actually had no idea how much work goes into one of these and the design/planning involved. $25 plus mats was more than I was hoping to spend, but sounds reasonable after what you've described.

I think I'd like to stick with knitting, but I'll take your advice and try again next year, thanks though!
Honestly I think $25/ea would be pretty cheap. Knitting is pretty skilled, so I would figure it at least $10/hour, and unless I'm a weird outlier, each would take a good few hours. It might help to realize you're looking for custom handmade projects, which are always going to be pricey if they're quality. Like if you wanted custom-made hand-stitched boots for your dog, you could probably guess that would be ridiculously expensive, right?

Plus, without a clear pattern, the knitter would mostly be reverse-engineering, doing a lot of math or a lot of trial and error or both. Assuming the three dogs are different sizes, that's a whole lot of work. By next year, there might be an actual pattern posted, which would make it easier.

You can cut down the materials price a little by choosing acrylic instead of the Cascade 220 she used. I would almost always recommend against cheap acrylic, but it is washable and hard to hurt, making it good for pet toys. The antler pattern is still going to be $5.50, but you only have to buy it once.

Btw, by starting early next year, I mean like August-September maybe. This season is nuts for everyone with decorating/shopping/family, plus for knitters it's extra crazy since they're often trying to finish projects in time for their own gifts.* Leaving plenty of time is your best bet. You could check back here, or I think Etsy has a custom thing. People sometimes undervalue their knitwork on Etsy, but quality can be hard to predict.

*Check-in! Who has what left to knit for holiday gifts? I can't believe I finished mittens and a huge scarf already. I was using every trick in the book, but it still feels miraculous.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

I'm only knitting one thing for the holidays and I'm 1/4 of the way through. I'm terrible. In my defense, my sister wants another infinity scarf and those are tedious to make.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I'm only knitting one thing for the holidays and I'm 1/4 of the way through. I'm terrible. In my defense, my sister wants another infinity scarf and those are tedious to make.

My Mom wants a prayer shawl and I'm about 1/4 of the way through too. My problem? I've been knitting it for like a month and a half. :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

1.5 socks, 1 repeat and decreases of a hat, 1 square Shetland style shawl (that is only, um, 30 rows in poo poo), 1 mitten, and another hat to do entirely.

Why did I list these out.

Things I've finished: 1 mitten, 1 scarf, 1 shawl.

:shepicide: