Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not entirely sure how Nami's dress stays up though, there must be some sort of tape involved.

I also found the idea that the mini giant could theoretically wear Luffy like suit fairly disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Hey wait a minute...

They already did the Giant With Mini Mini no Mi thing in one of the video games. What gives?

Also how do I remember that....

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Been a while since I enjoyed the anime like this.

Everyone got to do something cool and seeing that crazy new world weather was just amazing. I also like the idea of a mini giant, a lot better than the typical filler child character. And volcano cooking? Freaking amazing!
There was also some great comedy like Luffy, Zoro and Sanji's answer to climbing that wall of water. Punch? Cut? Kick? Or Chopper saying: "we've found a bug ghost!"

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't know why, but this just made the episode for me. :allears: It's the first episode I've truly enjoyed in quite a while too.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Oh my god! Zoro's one eye! That's some neat attention to detail.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I really like this mini mini giant girl. Her design is fantastic and she's a lot of fun. I want her to join the crew, but this is unfortunately only a filler arc so that won't happen.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So Robin can make two giant hands now instead of a million tiny ones?

Also I haven't watched the anime in forever but god drat Oda why are Nami's devil fruits so big.

MadiTC
May 31, 2011

Kneel Before Zog posted:

So Robin can make two giant hands now instead of a million tiny ones?

I think she's still making a million tiny hands, but they're all bunched up together to make big ones.

Joining the club on mini mini giant girl being great, I really want her to be canon in the manga now :allears:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
This filler looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind a 9/10 episode arc for it, knowing how badly that the next arc is going to drag. It's taken a year for the manga so that's what, 2 years for the anime?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wouldn't say the next arc drags. But either way, they're pretty much doing one chapter per episode when they're doing the manga, so it would take the same amount of time for the anime as the manga.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Flameingblack posted:

This filler looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I wouldn't mind a 9/10 episode arc for it, knowing how badly that the next arc is going to drag. It's taken a year for the manga so that's what, 2 years for the anime?

It'll be another year for the anime, since they're trying to keep everything equal with the manga.

N'thing that this a great start to some anime filler, which isn't something I'd normally be excited for but dammit, One Piece is loving perfect for filler, since anything can happen and it would fit with the world and characters. Why they don't do more filler, or animate the cover arcs, boggles my mind.

gently caress, take a random two page colour cover, and build a story around it. BOOM INSTANT FILLER!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It'll be another year for the anime, since they're trying to keep everything equal with the manga.

N'thing that this a great start to some anime filler, which isn't something I'd normally be excited for but dammit, One Piece is loving perfect for filler, since anything can happen and it would fit with the world and characters. Why they don't do more filler, or animate the cover arcs, boggles my mind.

gently caress, take a random two page colour cover, and build a story around it. BOOM INSTANT FILLER!

I would love a filler arc built around Lego Castle Island.

deep space nein
Aug 25, 2011
Previous attempts at filler arcs apparently did poorly compared to the horrendously paced episodes we have now. I have no idea why, but such is life. However what is to stop them from taking the cover arcs and inserting them into the episodes as either cut-aways or even just mini adventures in the beginning, middle or end?

I really enjoyed this weeks episode, not because the plot is better but because it wasn't poorly paced. Fishman Island was kind of a crap arc even in the manga, but the anime was significantly worse. Even the episodes I thought would be awesome were flat out ruined by the pacing. I eagerly awaited Big Moms debut and was sorely disappointed when the 3 panel reveal was turned into 5 minutes of drooling.

The next arc has been pretty spectacular in the manga, but if they can't pace the anime better it certainly won't be worth watching, which is a real shame because there are some epic scenes that would be fantastic if animated properly

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I heard that most anime filler are scrapped stories from Oda. Can anyone confirm/deny?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Azzents posted:

I heard that most anime filler are scrapped stories from Oda. Can anyone confirm/deny?

No most of them are not, and the ones that are were probably scrapped for a good reason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

IShallRiseAgain posted:

No most of them are not, and the ones that are were probably scrapped for a good reason.

Well the only one I know of which was pretty good was Daddy the Father. Which he skipped because wanted to get grand line at chapter 100.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The current filler is probably Oda influenced since it ties into the new movie. So it's a lot like the Shiki the Lion filler added in before Strong World came out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

deep space nein posted:

The next arc has been pretty spectacular in the manga, but if they can't pace the anime better it certainly won't be worth watching, which is a real shame because there are some epic scenes that would be fantastic if animated properly

There'll always be One Piece Kai in 20 years time, so we might get it done properly some day - just not today.

Gyges posted:

The current filler is probably Oda influenced since it ties into the new movie. So it's a lot like the Shiki the Lion filler added in before Strong World came out.

The new character definitely feels Oda inspired with Chopper commenting that her head was too big for her body and the way she messed with the crew. I want to see her as a more permanent member just because the reactions she makes have so much potential for comedy.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

She works so well with the crew because we kinda need a over the top comedic woman. It's something I kinda miss. Sure Nami has her outbursts and Robin occasionally shows her own grim sense of humor. But a girl who goes on with Luffy, Usopp and Chopper and has the same insane reaction faces could be a great addition.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Mulderman posted:

has the same insane reaction faces could be a great addition.

Am I the only one that finds the faces unfunny and annoying?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Shadow0 posted:

They're just overused, I think. More sporadically, they are more tolerable.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

What really doesn't help is that the anime really draws them out. It's a lot more tolerable when it's just a single panel.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

The faces are the best things. I'm not talking about the typical overreaction faces. But whenever Oda pulls an Enel/Perona face it's golden. Luffy, Usopp and Chopper also have great reaction faces that aren't your typical big head with large eyes and screaming mouth.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Autumncomet posted:

I don't know why, but this just made the episode for me. :allears: It's the first episode I've truly enjoyed in quite a while too.

Man, out of context, "you're amazing, mega young girl!" comes off really badly, especially from a Japanese anime.

Holy poo poo Zoro's single popping eye slays me though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode is out

So it turns out that wasn't a llama. No, that was an alpaca named alpacacino. A pun of such magnitude is not seen every day.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

An alpaca with a BEAM. Even better. :allears:

I am seriously loving this poo poo. All of the Straw Hats get to do things truly relevant (and Nami taking command!), Luffy was genuinely hilarious, mention of Dorry and Broggy, :siren:MOMONGA:siren:, gag with Sanji's wanted poster, some moral ambiguity (?!) and the women were much better proportioned this episode. :swoon:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This filler arc is looking to be on par with G8. I am loving this.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Why is Mike Rowe always yelling at me? :ohdear:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking these episodes. This is why I think filler would be so much better than dragging on like it has been. The movie comes out Saturday, so today was the last episode of this, right?

I really hope they go to Elbarf sometime.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I always like Momonga. Just a normal dude with a rad mustache who is incredibly strong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You can tell this uses normal filler pacing, it didn't take five episodes of Luffy slowly sinking and flashbacks of him getting knocked into the water before he got rescued.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gnome7 posted:

This filler arc is looking to be on par with G8. I am loving this.

This is way better than G8. G8 was good for filler, this is just good.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gyges posted:

This is way better than G8. G8 was good for filler, this is just good.

That's backwards. This is filler good. G8 was just good.

Maybe it's cause I read the manga, then watched the episode right after, but it's not coming across as all that great to me. Too much exposition, most of which we already know so it's characters explaining things we know to other characters, and too simple a setup, only three groups, all of whom we know the motivations for and all of whom we can estimate their chances of success. I can not for the life of me think of a single time we've know the primary motivation for everybody involved right from the word go, outside of... filler.

So, yeah, this is filler, good filler, but still filler.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I honestly never understood how much you guys like G8. I skipped over it when I was just watching the anime because it was clearly just filler to me. When I went back and watched it, I found it not bad, but hardly worth the praise that I always see it get.

The last two episode though I find to be really good. We've always known the Strawhat's motivations, and the mystery of the Navy's motivations only lies in which brand of Justice the presented group follows. Clearly this is just set up for the Z movie, but the only minus from that is how the long arms dude just came out and said their motivations. Though it's not like Oda hasn't had other characters do similar things with a different variation on the forgetting not to tell people gag.

Then again this could just be a difference in perspective. People who were reading the manga back when G8 came out got a fresh story after some painful pacing in the anime. As I was not, this is my first exposure to the breath of fresh air of decent filler after a tsunami of horrible pacing. Did Oda have anything to do with G8?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I liked G8 because it played with some stuff that, at the time, the non-filler story hadn't done much with.

- A competent marine commander who cared about his men.
- Robin going deep-cover spy.
- Chopper playing both doctor and mustache-twirling villain.
- Luffy going against a crowd of normals, rather than one super-powered guy.

Now, if you'd already seen that stuff further in the story in the manga or anime, I could see why you wouldn't care.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Bobulus posted:

I liked G8 because it played with some stuff that, at the time, the non-filler story hadn't done much with.

- A competent marine commander who cared about his men.
- Robin going deep-cover spy.
- Chopper playing both doctor and mustache-twirling villain.
- Luffy going against a crowd of normals, rather than one super-powered guy.

Now, if you'd already seen that stuff further in the story in the manga or anime, I could see why you wouldn't care.

There's also the bit where it flowed seamlessly with the existing, canon plot - they got into G8 as a direct result of the end of Skypeia, and the further damage to Merry at the end of G8 just makes going to Water 7 even more vital than it already was.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

gnome7 posted:

There's also the bit where it flowed seamlessly with the existing, canon plot - they got into G8 as a direct result of the end of Skypeia, and the further damage to Merry at the end of G8 just makes going to Water 7 even more vital than it already was.

Yeah, the arc itself had a nice flow to it, too. I don't recall any parts of G8 where a character has to explain who they, what they can do, and why they need help for half an episode. I do remember half the crew sneaking around in barrels for some reason... great, now I wanna watch G8 again, which would lead to me wanting to watch Water 7 again and oh look there goes a week worth of free time!

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, the arc itself had a nice flow to it, too. I don't recall any parts of G8 where a character has to explain who they, what they can do, and why they need help for half an episode. I do remember half the crew sneaking around in barrels for some reason... great, now I wanna watch G8 again, which would lead to me wanting to watch Water 7 again and oh look there goes a week worth of free time!

Man. G8 was also filler? It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what on earth happened to the writers in the battle of the best? Half the time I am clueless and half the time it's just painfully obvious...

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Dukeofdummies posted:

Man. G8 was also filler? It's stuff like this that makes me wonder what on earth happened to the writers in the battle of the best? Half the time I am clueless and half the time it's just painfully obvious...

What happened to the writers is "Oh poo poo we're kinda close to catching up to the manga, but can't do filler. Let's stretch this poo poo out as far as we can!"

So basically the same thing as Fishman Island, despite the fact that the anime wasn't that close to the manga at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

What happened to the writers is "Oh poo poo we're kinda close to catching up to the manga, but can't do filler. Let's stretch this poo poo out as far as we can!"

So basically the same thing as Fishman Island, despite the fact that the anime wasn't that close to the manga at that point.

The whole thing with Marineford was that they could totally do filler. It's a literal war between pirates and the marines, make filler battles. Hell, make an entire filler subplot about a filler pirate/crew and his/their filler arch nemesis in the Marines. Fighting it out on the sidelines, trying to get to Ace.