Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wait it's subbed? Good god I will watch only to see TTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Lyer posted:

According a tweet from Psy, Hong Chul is in NYC right now. As far as where, it doesn't say.

http://www.allkpop.com/2012/12/psy-travels-by-helicopter-to-visit-elevator-guy-noh-hong-chul-in-new-york-city

Turns out he was in Union Square in a cow costume god loving DAMMIT why didn't anyone know this arghhhhh

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So watching Music Core and Inkigayo I've noted a few things;

-Watching multiple episodes of these shows results in spending more time watching commercials than watching the actual show, since I end up skipping over groups I don't like and repeat performances. Not much fun.

-The pop fluff they have the MCs say is kind of jarring, since it clashes so much with their actual personalities.

-Music Core has some additional details (in Korean) about the group performing that prevents them from putting up the first few lines of the song's lyrics. Inkigayo has all the lyrics, including superfluous sounds. Sometimes the shows have different lyrics for the same songs.

-I still don't know how to describe what Trot music is, but I'm pretty sure it's loving awesome.

-Ace of Angels is on my list of favorite groups now. A female idol group/rock band? gently caress yeah.

Edit: One more thing. The crowd at Inkigayo can be heard much better than the one at Music Core, which I like. That energy is part of the show.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

-Ace of Angels is on my list of favorite groups now. A female idol group/rock band? gently caress yeah.

Their song Get Out is great for playing really loud to get you moving. I've got it set on rotation when I ride and it really gets the legs pumping.

One thing I've noticed is that, in the old practice videos for the song, the group had 7 members, but in all the actual performances I've seen, they've only had 5.

I wonder if 2 got dropped or they're just not trotting them out while the other girls 'play' their instruments on stage. Things change so fast in Kpop that I feel like I'm always far behind.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
They seem great!
I noticed there are 8 transformations in their Get Out video, and there's 8 of them in a recent video message from 2 weeks ago, so I ran to their wiki page, it seems they're a band within a band sort of thing? 7 angels and 1 half angel half human, the drummer girl. :v:

Merope fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 9, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yeah, they're an 8-member group. 7 of them are idols (singing and dancing), and 5 of them are a band (play instruments). One of the members of the band, the drummer, is not an idol member.

When I first checked out the video for Elvis, I thought it was just the concept for the video that they were goofing around with instruments, and I thought "It'd be cool if they ACTUALLY played instruments too." And they do! And then I thought "Well it sucks they only promote as an idol group because the 8th member doesn't get to promote with that, and I wanna see them play." And then for Get Out, they promote it as the band!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, they're an 8-member group. 7 of them are idols (singing and dancing), and 5 of them are a band (play instruments). One of the members of the band, the drummer, is not an idol member.

Even for the world of Kpop that's weird. Guess it's true what they say about drummers then I suppose.

For what it's worth, she did look really great as Leeloo in the Get Out music video.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
What do they say about drummers?

VVV :ohdear:

Merope fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Dec 10, 2012

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I once asked a drummer how to spell "Mississippi".
He said, "the river or the state?"

How do you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

How can you tell a drummer's at the door?
The knocking speeds up.

How can you tell a drummer's at the door?
He doesn't know when to come in.

What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?
"Hey, how about we try one of my songs?"

What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend?
Homeless.

What do you call a drummer with half a brain?
Gifted.

What does a drummer use for contraception?
His personality.

What do you say to a drummer in a three-piece suit?
"Will the defendant please rise?"

Hey, did you hear about the drummer who finished high school?
Me neither.

Why do guitarists put drumsticks on the dash of their car?
So they can park in the handicapped spot.

How is a drum solo like a sneeze?
You know it's coming, but there's nothing you can do about it.

What's the first thing a drummer says when he moves to LA?
"Would you like fries with that, sir?

What do you do if you accidentally run over a drummer?
Back up.

What did the drummer say to the band leader?
"Do you want me to play too fast or too slow?"

What's the best way to confuse a drummer?
Put a sheet of music in front of him.

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A drummer.

Why did the drummer stare at the frozen juice can?
Because it said, "Concentrate".

Why are band breaks limited to only 20 minutes?
So you don't have to retrain the drummer.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So, I really love historic dramas, and it seems Korea does too judging by Hulu and Dramafever's listings. What are some especially good ones I should check out? I don't mind stuff like 'oh there's a modern Korean transported to ancient times' but I do like it when the effort is to make it as accurate as possible obviously.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Glitterbomber posted:

So, I really love historic dramas, and it seems Korea does too judging by Hulu and Dramafever's listings. What are some especially good ones I should check out? I don't mind stuff like 'oh there's a modern Korean transported to ancient times' but I do like it when the effort is to make it as accurate as possible obviously.

Dae Jang Geum (Jewel in the Palace)

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 10, 2012

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
After watching around 80 episodes of Running Man, I realize I probably like Ji Suk Jin just as much as Yoo Jae Suk. Sadly Suk Jin didn't have that big of a role in RM, so I'm looking for other shows. There was that Happy Together episode early in the thread, can anyone recommend me any other shows where Ji Suk Jin played a significant role?

An unrelated question, I know CF refers to commercials, but what does CF stand for? Commercial Films? Commercial Features? Something in Korean?

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

toanoradian posted:

After watching around 80 episodes of Running Man, I realize I probably like Ji Suk Jin just as much as Yoo Jae Suk. Sadly Suk Jin didn't have that big of a role in RM, so I'm looking for other shows. There was that Happy Together episode early in the thread, can anyone recommend me any other shows where Ji Suk Jin played a significant role?

An unrelated question, I know CF refers to commercials, but what does CF stand for? Commercial Films? Commercial Features? Something in Korean?

He hosted a lot of episodes of Star Golden Bell along with Kim Jae Dong. You can see a whole lot of clips of that show chopped up on youtube.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?

toanoradian posted:

Commercial Filming.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Glitterbomber posted:

Dae Jang Geum, mentioned earlier, pretty much is the golden standard for any historical drama these days; no other drama has beaten it in ratings since, I believe.

More recent:

Deep Rooted Tree is about King Sejong and his crusade to make the current form of Korean writing, Hangeul, in order to make writing more accessible than the crazy traditional Chinese characters.

Chu-No (aka Slave Hunters or Slave Catchers) is about a bunch of bounty hunters that chase runaway serfs/slaves. This one is action-oriented and really fun, but the performance of one of the actors (Oh Ji-ho, I think) is kinda meh.

Jang-hyuk stars in both of them, and both are very good.

More fantasy/romance: The Moon that Embraced the Sun. Great performances throughout - including the child actors. I usually hate the early story parts acted by child actors, but holy jesus was this drama's child cast really, really good. Almost makes Han Ga-in's acting look pretty bad (IMO, her performance was average). Really good performances by the rest, with the King (Kim Soo-hyun)-and-eunuch pair being my favorite. I'm not really a sentimental guy, nor am I into romance, but I loved this one.

The History of a Salaryman is actually a modern adaptation of a Chinese epic (sort of like that Romeo & Juliet movie set in LA). Not quite historic (except the characters loosely-based on the original epic ones), but hey, worth a look.

Also, check earlier in the thread - Jamesman posted some good write-ups of dramas (and variety shows!). Not sure if he included historical ones, but worth checking none the less.

EDIT: wait I apparently wrote some as well, according to the OP (though no where near Jamesman's quality). :v:

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 10, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm glad my write-ups are appreciated. I just try to write about them in a way that conveys enough information that might attract new viewers.

As for historical shows, I can only do writeups on shows I've watched, and the closest I've come to watching one of those is Road No. 1 (which is AWESOME but probably not what you're looking for) and Tamra, the Island (which I haven't done a writeup for).

In other news, Secret's van hit an icy patch on the road and flipped over. Everyone got banged up, with Zinger in the worst shape with broken ribs and bruised lungs. gently caress, Korea, don't you guys sand your roads?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Jamesman posted:

In other news, Secret's van hit an icy patch on the road and flipped over. Everyone got banged up, with Zinger in the worst shape with broken ribs and bruised lungs. gently caress, Korea, don't you guys sand your roads?

No, my car was stuck in a parking lot for 4 days. In the suburban areas outside of Seoul you are lucky if they start salting two hours after first snow fall, then that's all I saw of the de-icing. The rest is just reliant on traffic to wear down the ice/snow. The main roads are now mostly clear but my little small neighborhood is still a skating rink.

Combine that with crazy hills everywhere, small, narrow streets, and everyone acting like they've never seen ice before and you get quite a fun time. The cabbies though are beasts and can drive on ice like Kim Yuna.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

nullscan posted:

No, my car was stuck in a parking lot for 4 days. In the suburban areas outside of Seoul you are lucky if they start salting two hours after first snow fall, then that's all I saw of the de-icing. The rest is just reliant on traffic to wear down the ice/snow. The main roads are now mostly clear but my little small neighborhood is still a skating rink.

Combine that with crazy hills everywhere, small, narrow streets, and everyone acting like they've never seen ice before and you get quite a fun time. The cabbies though are beasts and can drive on ice like Kim Yuna.

Well, to be fair, the snow they had at that time was much more than what they were used to. Generally, the roads are okay (hell, better than where I live in CT) even after snowfall in the cities based on my experience... I think this snowstorm was just huge.

Seoul is pretty on top of things, and so is Bundang (in Gyunggi province). However, in less urban areas or in the areas up on really steep hills, it might be bad. Public transport though, is usually on top of things, and subways will run overtime anytime there are snowstorms like this.

Then again, every time there IS a snowstorm as large as this, things get screwed.

Selane
May 19, 2006

What I want to know is how many idol groups need to get into car crashes before they* start wearing their seatbelts?

*not counting Seohyun

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
But those 2 seconds buckling up get in the way of extra sleep I assume.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012

reflir posted:

Listening to the new SNSD album, I imagine this is what it must be like to have a religious experience.

I have to see them in concert.

Just got in flac, entirely different experience.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

What I want to know is how many idol groups need to get into car crashes before they* start wearing their seatbelts?

*not counting Seohyun

I've never heard anything about any of them not wearing seatbelts, and in this case, wouldn't Zinger's injuries be consistent with wearing a seatbelt while being thrashed around in a van that's flipping over?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jamesman posted:

I've never heard anything about any of them not wearing seatbelts, and in this case, wouldn't Zinger's injuries be consistent with wearing a seatbelt while being thrashed around in a van that's flipping over?

I think it would be more consistent with her flying around in the car and hitting the headrest/armrest or something. It just boggles my mind seatbelts aren't a thing in developed countries that have a significant automobile use, maybe it's because America is built on driving and love of laws, that we have such stringent measures.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

In two years of living in Korea I could count the number of times I've seen a seatbelt used on both hands with fingers to spare.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

It's a law, it was on my driver's test, but as with anything else here traffic-related it's all about enforcement.

Speed is done mostly by camera (which are mapped out on every commercial GPS which warns you to slow down about 100m away from the camera), Parking is done by cameras in certain areas (and are usually ignored after daylight), and Stop Lights/traffic signs are only by camera (On the few intersections that have them outside of Seoul).

The only time I've seen police cruisers on the streets is when there has been an accident or they're pulled off on the side of the road with their lights flashing and the driver is sleeping (no speed guns in sight/no radar detected). It's another reason why drunk-driving is such a problem here despite all the public transit/easy and cheap taxis/car driver services, the cops aren't out there running check points.

Now I'll just knock on wood so I don't get pulled over going home tonight.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've seen a guy stopped by the cops after a hit and run. And a low speed chase in circles around a more rural area in Pohang so it does happen in the most extreme cases.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Jamesman posted:

I've never heard anything about any of them not wearing seatbelts,

Have you never watched a show that had people going from A to B? I notice it quite often on Running Man.

Also this news is ridiculously exciting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
In a lot of subs for different shows they keep using "unknowingly" and I do not think that word means what they think it means.

I'm guessing that a more accurate translation would be along the lines of "before we knew it the sun was setting" or "before we even realised it, we had reached Eunhaeng-dong"

Also, for those in Australia, a little birdie told me that Monday night PopAsia is coming back.

Don't ask me how I knew.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

If I had to guess, it's the literal translation that's coming across. The subbing groups probably see text and just translate it without thinking about it (unlike the dialogue).

I'll be excited about a SNSD Korean comeback when I can actually buy their Japanese release first. :colbert:

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

Gorilla Salad posted:

In a lot of subs for different shows they keep using "unknowingly" and I do not think that word means what they think it means.

Yeah, looks like they are just weirdly translating "before they knew it"
http://endic.naver.com/krenEntry.nhn?entryId=46ebd4f0da89479d8c59ecff8271bf37&query=%EC%96%B4%EB%8A%90%EC%83%88

Selane
May 19, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Well, ice had something to do with it. The other part is something that the company's press release coveniently didn't mention, the fact that the manager was driving on said icy roads at what I would not call a particularly safe speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAo6kfZE0jE

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Selane posted:

Well, ice had something to do with it. The other part is something that the company's press release coveniently didn't mention, the fact that the manager was driving on said icy roads at what I would not call a particularly safe speed.

:psyduck: I think "not particularly safe" is an understatement here. Is that a normal thing in Korea? I don't even think my car can go that fast.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Selane posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo, that's insane. They're lucky to even be alive after that.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LegionAreI posted:

:psyduck: I think "not particularly safe" is an understatement here. Is that a normal thing in Korea? I don't even think my car can go that fast.

I fear for my life every time I cross a street here. Driving with two feet seems to be the norm. Most people don't learn to drive until they are 20, if at all. Taxi drivers are kind of notorious for going incredibly fast and having their seat belts pretty much hidden under seat covers. And red lights are just a sort of guideline. I'm surprised everyday when I don't see the roads and intersections covered in gore and wreckage.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

LegionAreI posted:

Like I said, there is little regard to safety or speed limits. You get this accordion effect on the highways where everyone's going 100-110km/h in a 90, then your GPS dings and warns you of the cameras coming up so you slow down to 90, then as soon as you pass you speed back up to 110km.

The bus drivers and taxi drivers adjust their speeds well to the conditions, as far as I've seen, but normal drivers were still hauling rear end on snow/ice and it was crazy. I guess I should be thankful my car couldn't drive in the snow for a couple of days. We're supposed to get hit again this weekend, so hopefully everyone settles down this time but I doubt it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LegionAreI posted:

I dunno if normal is the right word but I wouldn't bat an eye at it. Chinese drivers are the worst I've seen, Korean are the next worst. Then Italian, for completeness' sake. German and Japanese at the top.

I've seen more dead bodies on the road in my time here than my entire previous life. My most notable morning was seeing six accidents during my 20 minute bus ride to work. I've been nearly hit by a car several times, was backed into by one yesterday (who then backed into the side of a bus), and cannot even begin to describe the kind of mayhem at intersections. And there's zero enforcement. I've seen a car come less than a foot from hitting a cop, while the car was blowing through a red light, and the cop did nothing.

I saw a parking ticket once and took a picture because I was in complete shock and had no idea what it was. This is a place where "parking" means stopping in the middle of the road and turning your hazards on. I can't imagine what someone could even do here to get a parking ticket.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Well, most drivers tend to obey red lights and stuff. At least where I live/lived. Where the hell do you guys live that you guys are seeing guys just run red lights or something? Taxi drivers, on the other hand, will tend to be more crazy, but that's more just line-cutting, crazy lane switching, etc.

Same thing with parking. Seoul/Bundang? No chance on weekdays - you'll get a patrol car going around with a camera (I think that's how they do it nowadays, without tickets) for even parking on the sides of the street when you're not supposed to. Small alleyways excluded, of course. Intersections are annoying because people try to squeeze in during their green and end up cutting off the perpendicular lanes because they are still stuck behind the light when it turns red.

The manager was probably driving so fast because they were late to another gig/filming/whatever. The schedules the companies give these idols is just crazy - they are always late and have to go to their next stop without rest, etc.

Regarding seatbelts: yeah. A law was recently passed (this year, I think) mandating that the people in the backseat wear seatbelts on the highway. People just aren't habituated to clicking them, as Americans are.

Regarding drunk driving checks: yeah, cops don't usually pull people over on patrol; it's more checkpoint based. If you haven't run into a police checkpoint stopping every car for a breathalyzer (on weekends), on basically any major/important (IE, need to go through to get home from somewhere not in your neighborhood) intersection/exit, then you are lucky, I suppose.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 12, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's a representative video from my city: http://ulsanonline.com/Culture/?p=2364 The three second rule is absolutely true, I have almost never been at an intersection and not had to wait a couple seconds for the red light runners to pass.

And I see this daily.

Three guesses what the sign means. :v:

Cars are still fairly new here. You just have to be aware that people are dangerous as hell and you can't assume anything if you're near a street.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

/\/\ Yeah but anyone can buy one of those signs, they're all over the alleys where business owners want reserved parking or people who live in the houses don't have designated parking.

A big part of the traffic problems they have here is that many of the outlying cities just weren't deisgned for cars and with the explosion of wealth/drivers on the road it really shows.

RE: Enforcement

It must be just as soon as you get out of Seoul this stuff starts / checkpoints don't happen.

I'm in between Osan and Pyeongtaek and the area is fairly built up but I've seen red-running, speeding, and parking wherever from Suwon down to PT. It must just be less cops available?

nullscan fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nullscan posted:

/\/\ Yeah but anyone can buy one of those signs, they're all over the alleys where business owners want reserved parking or people who live in the houses don't have designated parking.

Yeah but I've seen the exact same scene at police stations and city hall and stuff. The place where I dodge red light runners every morning is directly in front of a police station.

• Locked thread