Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Hunter
Jul 18, 2005

rath posted:

Awesome pics of Circle.

http://imgur.com/a/nrKFe

Really nice, I dig the non traditional colors you went with on these.

Top of the page edit: When you have a unit that has a magical ability, do all memebers of the unit cast the spell, or does the unit count as the one casting a spell?

I'm looking at Druids of Orboros and Force Bolt specifically.

Demon Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Each model may cast the spell.

For example the UA could cast devouring, then 3 druids could cast force bolts and then two druids cast vortex, and one druid casts counter magic.

Gringo Mystique
Aug 28, 2000

Law should be like death, which spares no one.
35 point 2 list Steamroller 2013 tournament coming up soonish, and no character restrictions as far as I know. I was thinking about these lists. Any pointers welcome.

System: Warmachine
Faction: Protectorate of Menoth
Casters: 1/1
Grand Scrutator Severius (*6pts)
* Crusader (6pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Holy Zealot Monolith Bearer (2pts)
Rhupert Carvolo, Piper of Ord (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

High Exemplar Kreoss (*5pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
Knights Exemplar (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Temple Flameguard (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
Knight Exemplar Seneschal (3pts)
Nicia, Tear of Vengeance (3pts)

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Gringo Mystique posted:

* Crusader (6pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

* Blessing of Vengeance (7pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Exemplar Errant Seneschal (2pts)
The Covenant of Menoth (2pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Is what I would run with pSev. You have one of the best Tarpits in the game with the combo of KEE + Book + Def Ward + Rupert. You can upkeep two spells (def ward and eye of menoth) and toss out 2 Ashes to Ashes. Plus the Avatar is amazing with pSev, who is selfish with his focus.

Gringo Mystique posted:

* Redeemer (6pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (3pts)

* Redeemer (6pts)
* Redeemer (6pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Exemplar Errants (Leader and 9 Grunts) (8pts)
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard Bearer (2pts)
Exemplar Errant Seneschal (2pts)
The Covenant of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Second verse, same as the first. except this time you have the pop'n'drop assassination open. All of this is assuming no character restrictions like you mentioned though.

Flipswitch posted:

Had my hopes up there Aberrant! I am disappointed! I'll keep browsing through the UK to see what I can find. e: Do you mean to the UK is cheap? I am UK based.

ed: Jesus, £50 on ebay, some people are really amping this price up.

Yeah apparently ordering poo poo from the UK is cheap, but sending stuff there isn't. Wish I could get them to you for a reasonable price, they're just gathering dust.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Ugh. Painting colossals is a real pain in the rear end. Especially when you've got two to do. So much surface area...

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007
Hey Aberrant, I'd be interested in the Menoth dice if you want to sell them.
Drop me a line at dasangrygerman(at)hotmail.com

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Aberrant posted:

Yeah apparently ordering poo poo from the UK is cheap, but sending stuff there isn't. Wish I could get them to you for a reasonable price, they're just gathering dust.
Ah I'm with you. No worries mate, but I do appreciate the offer. :)

Gringo Mystique posted:

35 point 2 list Steamroller 2013 tournament coming up soonish, and no character restrictions as far as I know. I was thinking about these lists. Any pointers welcome.

* Crusader (6pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

* Redeemer (6pts)
* Repenter (4pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
The pSev list could do with some work. Drop the Crusader (pSev doesn't do anything for them of what they want, ie speed.) and cram in Blessing of Vengeance by dropping Piper. You can't run him in both lists due to character restrictions, so he has to be lost from one list. I'd consider adding again, Wracks and dropping the Hierophant at 35pts as he's a bit intensive for what he does compared to Wracks. At 50pts I'd take both, but at 35pts you want the cheaper one.

The pKreoss list is very functional in my opinion but I'd consider dropping the Exemplars as they're slow and hard to support effectively at 35pts, the only bit I'd change is possibly the Repenter to squeeze another Redeemer or a Vanquisher in somehow, downgrade the max Choir to minimum sized and take Wracks too to give Kreoss some more survivability, but otherwise it's a decent list I think. TFG can work quite well instead of KEE if you're looking to keep the points down. :)

A major rejig would actually be to swap units. Put the TFG with Sevvy (Sevvy loves him some TFG) and put the Zealots in with pKreoss. Kreoss only needs to buy time to pop and drop and the Zealots are amazing for this, whereas Sev can clear out the engaged TFG with Ashes to Ashes so they can push forward and engage more things.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've been making theoretical lists for going up to 35 with Blindwater. Looking at other 35 point lists even in this thread, I'm scratching my head at how much people manage to fit into 35 points, compared to how much I have. I mean, I'm bracing to struggle against any heavy jacks, even at 35.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

VogeGandire posted:

I've been making theoretical lists for going up to 35 with Blindwater. Looking at other 35 point lists even in this thread, I'm scratching my head at how much people manage to fit into 35 points, compared to how much I have. I mean, I'm bracing to struggle against any heavy jacks, even at 35.

This is why you don't start with Minions, broski.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah Minions are a bit pillow fisted as a faction. From what I can tell, Minions are great as far as the Warlocks, its the Warbeasts that let them down to balance them. But Rask is pretty nuts, so try proxying that bad boy out.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Devlan Mud posted:

This is why you don't start with Minions, broski.

Yeah, I'm looking at other factions to start with instead, I've yet to actually buy any minions. I've been looking at Cryx, but I really prefer the fury mechanic over focus.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

VogeGandire posted:

With Barnabus, my fiancee usually takes:

Max Posse
Max Posse
Ironback Spitter
Bull Snapper
Wrong Eye and Snapjaw
Totem Hunter

Trust me, every 35 points list with every army except maybe Cryx feels like you're leaving something important behind.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Sulecrist posted:

With Barnabus, my fiancee usually takes:

Max Posse
Max Posse
Ironback Spitter
Bull Snapper
Wrong Eye and Snapjaw
Totem Hunter

Mine is the same, but replacing the second Posse with a Wrastler, and maybe the Totem Hunter for the Witch Doctor (depending on my mood).

VogeGandire posted:

I mean, I'm bracing to struggle against any heavy jacks, even at 35.

Barnabas doesn't struggle against heavy jacks. He just throws them into Swamp Pits and calls it a day. It's a high-ARM Hordes list that Barnabas tends to have trouble with (Trolls and Skorne, mainly)

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah Minions are a bit pillow fisted as a faction. From what I can tell, Minions are great as far as the Warlocks, its the Warbeasts that let them down to balance them. But Rask is pretty nuts, so try proxying that bad boy out.

No, Gators are pillow-fisted. Pigs don't have damage problems, just being able to tank. War Hogs are scary but can't hit poo poo and really don't have much health.

Lord Carver is harder to kill than Madrak and killier to boot, but has absolutely nothing else other than high-power beasts.

I highly advise for Gator players lamenting being pillow-fisted to take more Blackhides. They're the highest damage you're going to get, don't ignore them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vulich the Subtle posted:

No, Gators are pillow-fisted. Pigs don't have damage problems, just being able to tank. War Hogs are scary but can't hit poo poo and really don't have much health.

Lord Carver is harder to kill than Madrak and killier to boot, but has absolutely nothing else other than high-power beasts.

I highly advise for Gator players lamenting being pillow-fisted to take more Blackhides. They're the highest damage you're going to get, don't ignore them.

The trouble with pigs is the stat lines for the infantry are straight up poo poo. 12/14 is almost the worst stat line in the game and brigands are 5/8 pointswise. They do bring some useful stuff but I would only consider them worth it with Carver who gives them CRA. If they had CRA innately they would be a solid unit.

The War Hog can put out some hits but has a bad threat range, the Road Hog has a very impressive threat range for.. pow 14 melee hits. It's a pricey beast with a nice spray.

The non-Carver farrow casters have a problem where they bring spell lists that require arc nodes to be effective, and there is absolutely no way to channel spells with the farrow.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

I really want to make Retribution's Heavy Rifle Team work, because it is such a cool looking model.

The combination of Light Artillery and a POW of 7, just make it useless compared to other options.

It really needs a POW of 10 (if it's supposed to be cracking heavy armor) or the ability to ignore stealth (if it's for taking out solos) or something..

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

I really want to make Retribution's Heavy Rifle Team work, because it is such a cool looking model.

The combination of Light Artillery and a POW of 7, just make it useless compared to other options.

It really needs a POW of 10 (if it's supposed to be cracking heavy armor) or the ability to ignore stealth (if it's for taking out solos) or something..

Ignoring Stealth would be pretty nice, maybe on the Range Finder.

Best use I've gotten out of the HRT is with Ossyan's feat, using the Artificer to keep the safe until then. But the real problem with the HRT is that the Stormfall Archers do that job better at a better point value.

Edit: A revised HRT should drop Armor Piercing, and just be a straight POW 10 or 12 with that gains Eyeless Sight when it benefits from Range Finder.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 9, 2012

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at other factions to start with instead, I've yet to actually buy any minions. I've been looking at Cryx, but I really prefer the fury mechanic over focus.

Dip your toe in the water with a Deneghra list that has one of the lesser warlocks in it. Great combo.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
I need some Skorne advice. I keep running up against Menoth and dying to fire all game long. Does Skorne have any way to deal with fire effects, and Menoth in general? I can't make it work.

Note: my worst match-up list was

eFeora
-Judicator
max Temple Flame Guard
-UA
Daughters
the Book
the Piper
ancillary attack guy
choir

So he was hitting me with 6 fire templates from turn 2 forward (2x Judicator shots + ancillary attack) and my infantry dies pretty fast to dice -2.

Any advice to deal with something like this?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

...What exacty is dying en masse? A Bronzeback will wreck the Judicator and isn't exactly afraid of fire.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

VogeGandire posted:

Take a hard look at Circle. They have a lot of trick plays like Cryx, but you also get amazing beasts that rip faces off.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Mt. ORourke posted:

I need some Skorne advice. I keep running up against Menoth and dying to fire all game long. Does Skorne have any way to deal with fire effects, and Menoth in general? I can't make it work.

Note: my worst match-up list was

eFeora
-Judicator
max Temple Flame Guard
-UA
Daughters
the Book
the Piper
ancillary attack guy
choir

So he was hitting me with 6 fire templates from turn 2 forward (2x Judicator shots + ancillary attack) and my infantry dies pretty fast to dice -2.

Any advice to deal with something like this?

Cataphract Cetrati with Defender's Ward (pMakeda or Xerxes) or Inviolable Resolve (Zaal) are ARM 18 with 8 boxes, so fire will likely scratch them at best. Plus with Shield Wall, they'll be ARM 22 against the initial shot, so should the Judicator make a lucky hit, a boosted damage roll still won't hurt them much.

Immortals are ARM 19 with either of those spells (they go great with Zaal), so Fire will reliably take out only a small percentage of them.

Alternate solution: pMorghoul or Rasheth, run lots of Titans, give no fucks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

Take a hard look at Circle. They have a lot of trick plays like Cryx, but you also get amazing beasts that rip faces off.

I'm actually not too keen on their models, I don't really like just humans, and a lot of their beasts have really silly looking models.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 9, 2012

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

Plus, you won't be ostracized for playing Cryx. :v:

VogeGandire posted:

I'm actually not too keen on their models, I don't really like just humans.

Eh? Are you sure you're looking at the faction with 7-10 foot tall werewolf men backed by magical Stone Robots and Satyrs?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

He doesn't like furries either maybe?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Granted, the stone robots in particular are cool as hell, but models like the Shadowhorn Satyr or the gorax look ridiculous.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

VogeGandire posted:

Granted, the stone robots in particular are cool as hell, but models like the Shadowhorn Satyr or the gorax look ridiculous.

Are you saying you don't like Angry Monkey? Angry Monkey is very disappointed in you :colbert:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hrm. Maybe legion? They are also a glass cannon sort of faction, although they do it a lot differently than Cryx does. Do you want the fury mechanic because you see it as more powerful, or because you just like the way it plays?

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Well, Legion are Dragon-/Dinosaur-ish plus Landsharks, so maybe that's close enough for your taste. Paint them green, make them more scaly and the job's a good one. I'm not too fond of their normal colour scheme, but they can look really nice with some other paint jobs.
If you have your heart set on Gators, you can even still just run Gatormen Posse, Wrongeye and Snapjaw and all the other Gator stuff with some other Hordes casters, as they work for most of them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm actually looking into trolls now.

To be specific, eDoomy trolls. Because :krad: DIRE TROLLS SON.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

VogeGandire posted:

I'm actually looking into trolls now.

To be specific, eDoomy trolls. Because :krad: DIRE TROLLS SON.

Don't overlook pDoomy. Although he is not as obvious of a power warlock, his feat can be a huge kick in the dick, along with Purification and Banishing Ward.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

VogeGandire posted:

WHY is nobody suggesting Skorne. The man wants to play Gators, guess who loves the Posse even more than Gators themselves? Skorne hits harder than anyone, has awesome spikey not-elves that love sticking blades into themselves to get mad and fight better, and has great casters. Titans are awesome, Basiliks are awesome, Cyclops are awesome. Skorne actually has some decent infantry and has some of the funnest tricks in the book.

The big sell for you specifically should be the Paingiver Task Master. This model is the reason Skorne runs the Gatorman Posse better than anyone including Blindwater. No Knockdown and either Tough+Fearless or +2 Str for the Posse is just obscene. Skorne casters also have some great Faction agnostic buffs that can go on the Posse.

Here is what I would buy first:

-1 or 2 Casters from this list: pMakeda, pMorghoul, Xerxis, eHexeris
-Bronzeback Titan
-Titan Gladiator
-Basilisk Kreia
-Paingiver Beast Handlers (Full Unit)
-Nihilators (Full Unit)
-Gatorman Posse (Full Unit)
-Aptimus Marketh
-Agonizer
-Paingiver Task Master
-Gatorman Witch Doctor

That covers all the "must have" stuff in Skorne, along with the stuff from Gators that Skorne likes. After that you can get almost anything, there isn't much in Skorne that is flat-out bad. The only things I would avoid would be Praetorian Karax, the Razorworm, and the Venator Flayer Cannon. Casters are good across the board except for pHexeris and eMorghoul, who struggle in Mark 2.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Nah, I'm not too keen on Skorne's models, or their fluff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Paper Kaiju posted:

Ignoring Stealth would be pretty nice, maybe on the Range Finder.

Best use I've gotten out of the HRT is with Ossyan's feat, using the Artificer to keep the safe until then. But the real problem with the HRT is that the Stormfall Archers do that job better at a better point value.

Edit: A revised HRT should drop Armor Piercing, and just be a straight POW 10 or 12 with that gains Eyeless Sight when it benefits from Range Finder.

Yeah, it's a bucket of weak rules that don't really work. Alas, very few light artillery pieces end up being worth their while.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's a bucket of weak rules that don't really work. Alas, very few light artillery pieces end up being worth their while.

I don't even think that the problem is that its rules are weak (although the Light Artillery rule is a pretty big detriment (Edit: And it's POW is too low for something non-boostable)), it's that it tries to fill a role that is already filled by a unit and a solo that do it better in nearly every conceivable situation.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 9, 2012

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Khador's Mortar is awesome, but fills a different role. I don't know how other factions' Light Artillery are.

But looking at the Khador Field Gun you have the same Point Cost and the same Rat, but the Field Gun has longer range, twice the POW, Crit Knockdown, and an extra grunt.

Against most medium bases they end up with just about the same damage output, but the Field Gun can sit back a little bit further, has a chance to knock the target down, and the grunts can actually defend themselves.

As a bonus Kovnik Joe can boost the attack roll to increase chances of a crit and/or sacrifice the extra grunt instead of a WGI grunt.

It wouldn't be so frustrating if the HRT didn't look so cool. Plus, it's nice to see PP try something unusual with a light artillery piece, so it sucks when it doesn't turn out.

E: I would like some combination of Sniper, Eyeless Sight when using Range Finder, and a slightly higher POW (8-9, 10 is probably pushing it).

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 10, 2012

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Paper Kaiju posted:

I don't even think that the problem is that its rules are weak (although the Light Artillery rule is a pretty big detriment (Edit: And it's POW is too low for something non-boostable)), it's that it tries to fill a role that is already filled by a unit and a solo that do it better in nearly every conceivable situation.

Definitely agree. The Hunter works because it's boostable on damage. If it had a reasonable pow I would use it in Ossyan lists, a pair, actually.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

OK, from my extensive research, trolls seem to be played mimicking a freight train. Pick a point across the board with something that needs to be dead, take entire weight of as many beasts as you can deal with, preferably including Mulg, The Fucker-Up of poo poo, and smash said beasts into aforementioned point. Repeat as necessary.

These are the kind of tactics I can get behind.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

Trolls tend to play like a freight train, but they also tend to like to bring a fair bit of infantry because they have fury management problems. They also buff themselves up a ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Rapid fire rules question guys that I think I'm correct with but want to make sure.

eLylyth sacrifices movement for aiming bonus, do I keep the aiming bonus for each subsequent shot, even whilst positioning via Swift Hunter and Snap Fire? I figured it was a yes as I've still sacrificed my movement, but just wanted to clarify and make sure.

RAT10 is hella tasty with a RNG16 bow and 6 potential shots...

• Locked thread