Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just found a neat little trick to (mostly) eliminate mouse lag when using vsync in gzdoom - provided you're using an Nvidia card.

1. download Nvidia Inspector from here, extract and run. Halfway down the right side of the window there's a small button with a wrench on - click here to open the driver profile settings window.

2. Create a new profile for gzdoom and add your gzdoom.exe to the profile.

3. Scroll down to the 'Common' section, set 'Frame Rate Limiter' to 59fps, and click 'Apply changes'.

This also works with eDuke32 and SWP, which were practically unplayable before.

Convex fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oenis posted:

Window mode would be an option, but as it's not borderless and I can still see my task bar it would kill me ~immersion~.

In fullscreen, pressing alt+tab or ctrl+shift+esc just gives me the windows cursor, with the doom menu screen still blocking view of my whole desktop and everything. It's really annoying because I have to quit doom everytime I want to look something up online or check my messages or whatever.

Try WIN + D.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Same result. Is this really just me and Chinook?

What I now resort to is alt+enter and then alt+tab at my convenience. It's an extra step, but still better than having to quit and restart doom everytime my ADD kicks in and I quickly need to check up on something. Thanks for trying to help, though.

In other news, drat that first boss in Winter's Fury is bullet hell. I think it would be manageable, but it's a little laggy for me, so dodging is hard, and I haven't found a good spot to cheese him yet. On one occasion he just vanished, with 70 health remaining and I was stuck.

But I'm really enjoying the atmosphere so far. Corridors and open areas are nicely designed and decorated, traps everywhere, and not too much of "O god I pushed this button now where do I go?". The palette swap enemies are not the most creative thing in the world, I guess they're a bit bullet spongier, maybe there'll be more variety in the other chapters. Double shotgun feel could indeed be better, but I'm happy with the reworks and gunplay of the other weapons.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oenis posted:

In other news, drat that first boss in Winter's Fury is bullet hell. I think it would be manageable, but it's a little laggy for me, so dodging is hard, and I haven't found a good spot to cheese him yet. On one occasion he just vanished, with 70 health remaining and I was stuck.

He disappears whenever he loses ~25% health, and a bunch of powerups appear. Grab them to begin the next round. I really dug that fight - boss fights in Doom mods tend not to be too hot, but that was genuinely exciting, as he had enough speed to make it more than just circle-strafing, and enough interesting attacks to keep me changing direction.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So I've been doing some Doom poo poo, and some Quake II poo poo, and I decided I wanted to fight bad guys in castles. Like, with magic and poo poo. And like big sprawling hub levels, and it would be awesome if it were like, winter or fall obviously sometimes. I've never played Hexen or Heretic before, is one of those for me? Or is there some TC for them or Doom or something that fits my description better.

Or should I go play King's Quest V.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Hexen is pretty good, the first hub is kinda confusing, though. You should be good once you get through that.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

WHOIS John Galt posted:

So I've been doing some Doom poo poo, and some Quake II poo poo, and I decided I wanted to fight bad guys in castles. Like, with magic and poo poo. And like big sprawling hub levels, and it would be awesome if it were like, winter or fall obviously sometimes. I've never played Hexen or Heretic before, is one of those for me? Or is there some TC for them or Doom or something that fits my description better.

Hexen is definitely big and sprawling and magic and castles. It gets a lot of hate for being a switch-hunt (which is definitely is) as well as the lack of weapons, but it's still a lot of fun to me. Especially if you can find someone to play co-op.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

WHOIS John Galt posted:

You are literally describing Hexen right now. Play Hexen immediately.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hexen is a decent game, but it has some major issues. Only four weapons per character, and really confusing hub design without any clear goal/destination. If you've got a halfway decent CPU, I would recommend checking out Serpent: Resurrection, which is a gigantic mod for it. Much more open-world, a full 8 weapons and a ton of spells/inventory items per character and more RPG elements.

It's a bit long-winded/fanfictiony at the start, but once you're past the interminably long boat ride, you're good to go. One big piece of advice: Don't try to fight everything on the first island. Just run around and find the chain of keys/houses you need to open to get your first weapon or two. From there it's a much smoother progression.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

WHOIS John Galt posted:

So I've been doing some Doom poo poo, and some Quake II poo poo, and I decided I wanted to fight bad guys in castles. Like, with magic and poo poo. And like big sprawling hub levels, and it would be awesome if it were like, winter or fall obviously sometimes.

Get to episode 3 of Daikatana and you're golden!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hexen has you battling bad guys in castles, temples, and caverns, it's fall and often stormy but you also have icy levels so it's wintry too. All of that is presented in sprawling hub levels.

Heretic is very cool too, the gameplay is faster-paced, more Doom-like and the levels aren't placed in hubs. The world is also more colorful; Hexen is gloomy, brown and gray with some cold blues and warm tans as the only notes of color.

Both are must-play.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Unsure if this has yet been posted, but Quake Injector is a cool way to get lots of Quake maps.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
So I downloaded the AMC squad but it won't let me use mouselook even when I enabled it in the settings. What gives?

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 9, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Does anybody have a link to that goon made tutorial for Doom Builder 2? I found it really helpful and easy to follow, but I lost interest at some point. Now I'm interested in picking it up again, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm working on a mod that replaces the weapons and monsters, but it changes the gameplay in fundamental ways that basically require any level it's played on to be designed for it. The only problem is that I don't really have much of a talent for or interest in level design beyond a purely abstract/gameplay sense, so while I have a a few good combat arenas that show off the new gameplay pretty well, they're ugly as gently caress, and making them into something that looks good enough to show to other people is going to be a real struggle for me. I can't really expect anyone else to make levels for my own stupid thing though, so I'm just going to muddle through it myself as best I can and hopefully come up with something presentable in the end.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sgt Mark IV (the Brutal Doom guy) is a pretty drat good mapper, if this new level is any indication. Probably one of the more convincing city-themed levels I've seen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, the Spider Mastermind in Brutal Doom :stare:

The Crusher is a hard goddamned level.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dominic White posted:

Sgt Mark IV (the Brutal Doom guy) is a pretty drat good mapper, if this new level is any indication. Probably one of the more convincing city-themed levels I've seen.

Holy poo poo, now that's what I wanted Earth to look like in Doom 2.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, the Spider Mastermind in Brutal Doom :stare:

It's an interesting sidegrade the SM got in Brutal Doom - it does a lot more damage and its shots have some splash damage, but they're not hitscan anymore. With sufficient range/speed, you CAN outrun its ability to track you.

Fallom posted:

Another super-realistic urban map is Dawn of Reality, but last time I checked it just fell over and died hard if you tried running it with Brutal Doom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Super-realistic urban maps? Look at Planisphere 2. Pure, raw craziness.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Lork posted:

Does anybody have a link to that goon made tutorial for Doom Builder 2? I found it really helpful and easy to follow, but I lost interest at some point. Now I'm interested in picking it up again, but I can't find it anywhere.

I'm working on a mod that replaces the weapons and monsters, but it changes the gameplay in fundamental ways that basically require any level it's played on to be designed for it. The only problem is that I don't really have much of a talent for or interest in level design beyond a purely abstract/gameplay sense, so while I have a a few good combat arenas that show off the new gameplay pretty well, they're ugly as gently caress, and making them into something that looks good enough to show to other people is going to be a real struggle for me. I can't really expect anyone else to make levels for my own stupid thing though, so I'm just going to muddle through it myself as best I can and hopefully come up with something presentable in the end.

I don't know if you are referring to what I started. Its pretty crude but hopefully will help.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?9z7lauhsvtr1l2u

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Fallom posted:

Play this level, people. It's absolutely amazing.

Cat Mattress posted:

Oh my god. This is next.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Lork posted:

Does anybody have a link to that goon made tutorial for Doom Builder 2?

Also this: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/55372-my-unfinished-newbie-udmf-level-editing-guide/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Doom is now officially 19 years old! On December 10, 1993, the shareware "Knee Deep In The Dead" episode was uploaded to the University of Wisconsin FTP.

I'd link you to the Cacowards, but the guy who's supposed to be writing them appears to have vanished from the internet back in January. So it might be a day or two so the organizers can gather up replacement writers/find the body.

Oh, also, I updated the OP to link GZDoom to the SVN, add the recent PSN Doom package, and replace the Wolf3D video. If you have any other suggestions (especially for the underloved Tribes bit), please say!

The Kins fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 10, 2012

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
That's the one I was thinking of, thanks.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Kins posted:

Doom is now officially 19 years old! On December 10, 1993, the shareware "Knee Deep In The Dead" episode was uploaded to the University of Wisconsin FTP.

I'm so old :eng99:

I'm really genuinely enjoying Brutal GZDoom with maps the community is somehow still churning out though.

Rock on you crazy bastards, you're keeping Doom alive as one of the longest lasting games I've ever played.

I'll never forget the snowy winter morning that I played Doom when the final disks arrived. Slightly chilly. Two bottles of Mountain Dew nearby (don't judge me, I was young then :saddowns:).

I was twitchy as all gently caress, hyped to the moon on caffiene, and utterly, completely enraptured by the experience. Also it was scary :ohdear:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Back to Saturn X: Episode 1 has been released! 20 maps, three years in the making. Should run on all source ports, though if you're using ZDoom you should grab a SVN build.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

The Kins posted:

If you have any other suggestions (especially for the underloved Tribes bit), please say!

Since Shadow Warrior Complete is now on GOG, it's probably in good taste to remove the download links to the addon packs. Also, that Quake Injector posted above might fit well in the OP.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

I really wish Quake had a bestiary that wasn't 50% "guy what runs at you and tries to hit you". Some of the custom levels people make look really impressive but the gameplay usually ends up as pretty dull for that simple fact alone.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Tiger Schwert posted:

I really wish Quake had a bestiary that wasn't 50% "guy what runs at you and tries to hit you". Some of the custom levels people make look really impressive but the gameplay usually ends up as pretty dull for that simple fact alone.

I thought all of the Quake games were pretty wretched SP

Quake, of course, is forgiven for creating the brightly shining and now dimly dying star that was arena fps combat

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Commander Keenan posted:

Since Shadow Warrior Complete is now on GOG, it's probably in good taste to remove the download links to the addon packs. Also, that Quake Injector posted above might fit well in the OP.
Good point on Twin Dragon, but Wan-Ton Destruction is freely downloadable from 3D Realms, so it stays!

I'll add Quake Injector now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know everyone's seen this, but since it's Doom's 19th birthday today, I figure we could all do with a rewatch of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pek_JxmPonM

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yo Kins, do you have a list of the various game modes for Reelism and what they do? Sometimes it's not immediately obvious.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

victrix posted:

I'm so old :eng99:

I'm really genuinely enjoying Brutal GZDoom with maps the community is somehow still churning out though.

Rock on you crazy bastards, you're keeping Doom alive as one of the longest lasting games I've ever played.

I'll never forget the snowy winter morning that I played Doom when the final disks arrived. Slightly chilly. Two bottles of Mountain Dew nearby (don't judge me, I was young then :saddowns:).

I was twitchy as all gently caress, hyped to the moon on caffiene, and utterly, completely enraptured by the experience. Also it was scary :ohdear:

I was 10 when Doom came out and I remember waking up at 7:00 am just to go with my cousin wich was 18 to buy the floppys. It cost 4950 pesetas (Spain's old currency), about 30€/38$. 19 years after that I still remember that day perfectly, and that I used a copy of said floppys until Doom95 CDs came out and I bought it with all the money I saved during a year. I still have those CDs, sadly the floppys died like 2-3 years later and my cousin just trashed them, keeping copies :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Yo Kins, do you have a list of the various game modes for Reelism and what they do? Sometimes it's not immediately obvious.
Standard: Five Rounds, then a boss.
Endurance: Ten Rounds, then a boss.
Infinite: Never ending, with a boss round every five rounds.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Standard: Five Rounds, then a boss.
Endurance: Ten Rounds, then a boss.
Infinite: Never ending, with a boss round every five rounds.

I meant the huge variety of slots that happen each round...

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Commander Keenan posted:

Since Shadow Warrior Complete is now on GOG, it's probably in good taste to remove the download links to the addon packs.

I'm 100% positive that neither of the add-ons were ever released commercially before now. The original intention was to sell them shortly after Shadow Warrior's release, but poorer sales than expected killed that idea. The devs of Twin Dragon released it for free not too long after cancellation, and Wanton Destruction was also released by one of the devs many years after the fact. So really, it's kind of silly to remove them since they have always been available for free up until this point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

and Wanton Destruction was also released by one of the devs many years after the fact. So really, it's kind of silly to remove them since they have always been available for free up until this point.

I'm not very familiar with Shadow Warrior's add-ons, but please tell me that this was spelled 'Won-ton Destruction'.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

This runs reasonably well on my machine in vanilla, but Brutal Doom causes it to seize horribly. Not sure what's causing it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

WHOIS John Galt posted:

This runs reasonably well on my machine in vanilla, but Brutal Doom causes it to seize horribly. Not sure what's causing it.

BD replaces a lot of static light sources with dynamic light emitters, doesn't it? Torches, garbage fires, lamps, etc. If a map has a lot of these, the sudden switch might be very demanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

The Kins posted:

Back to Saturn X: Episode 1 has been released! 20 maps, three years in the making. Should run on all source ports, though if you're using ZDoom you should grab a SVN build.

This is incredible and everyone here should play it.