Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

I can't remember my DOGnzb password and the password reset thing doesn't appear to be working :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You can get newznab running pretty easily, but the bandwidth requirements can be kinda high, since it's constantly updating. Plus diskspace.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Called it a week and a half ago.

inpheaux posted:

At the rate things are going, I expect NZBMatrix will be the next one to go belly-up. Not sure if it'll be due to mass paranoia, direct action against them, or users fleeing over said mass paranoia.

At this point it looks like the only Newznab site that's still public is nzbs.in, and they seem to be getting slammed right now, so expect them to close reg any time now.

As I just asked on IRC, why the hell were you people only using NZBmatrix in the first place? They were hands down the worst indexer out there tech-wise. Worst API, worst site infrastructure, terrible layout, and in recent months they were one of the major sources of DMCA complaints resulting in takedowns across the entirety of Usenet. As I mentioned pages back, the cycle was going:

- Something gets posted to Usenet
- Post gets listed at NZBMatrix
- Post at NZBMatrix starts getting comments / downloads / etc
- DMCA-Troll organization rolls through NZBMatrix top-10's and sends out DMCA's to Giganews/Highwinds/Astraweb/Blocknews
- Post at NZBMatrix fills with tears as another thing posted to NZBMatrix is mysteriously nuked

And yes, it was confirmed it was SPECIFICALLY once it got posted to NZBMatrix. The process was tested with special NZBs made just for NZBMatrix, with specially named content being posted to Usenet, etc. This makes their parting comment that "Indexing is going to have to change" somewhat hollow. NZBMatrix going down could end up being a good thing for Usenet as a whole.

Bobx66 posted:

Hate to see them go but I guess that leads us to the next question - how do we decentralize this? Obviously all of these indexers were running scraping bots and sourcing their nzbs from somewhere. Given the uniformity of the software running these sites and the availability of said software - what is to stop the individual from running their own indexer only for their individual and private use?

Absolutely nothing is stopping you. Centralization isn't the problem anymore, that was solved with Newznab. If you're scared that your favorite indexer just shriveled up and died, go start your own. For a $10 donation, cost of a server to put it on, and cost of a Usenet account to scrape from (look at Astraweb Block plans, one time payment + headers are free, and that's all Newznab needs), you can have something just as good as NZBs.in that works perfectly fine with Sickbeard & Friends.

Bobx66 posted:

My follow up question is, where were these site scraping from and why hasn't the original source of aggregation been targeted? Is it possible to decentralize the distribution of these source indexes say through a system like torrents?

The original source for all indexers out there except NZBMatrix is Usenet itself. I'm still not scared of direct action being taken to dismantle Usenet outright. If it could be done, it would have been done already. Filesharing over Usenet has outlived five major shifts in filesharing: BBS's in the 80's and very early 90's, hacked ftp topsites in the late 90's, Napster/Limewire-style P2P in the early 2000's, Public Torrent Trackers (which are basically all dead or dangerous now), and Megaupload-style file lockers. It's probably outlived more, but I'm not up on my piracy history further back than that.

I think all we've really seen today is the death of the public indexer. Next step will be all the remaining public indexers going private / invite-only permanently, if they haven't already. If you don't have access to a private indexer, chip in with a few of your internet friends and run one yourselves. Newznab isn't hard to get set up, you just need one person with a passing understanding of running LAMP-stack software. Once it's up and running the core underlying NZB-scraping tech is just as good as NZB.su, NZBs.org, NZBs.in, DogNZB, SickBeard Index, etc.

Edit: It would probably not be a good idea to start begging for site invites. To my knowledge, no private Newznab sites have constantly replenishing invites. NZBs.org only gives out something like 50 invites per month total. I've had DogNZB / NZB.su accounts for ages, and between the two of them I think I've seen 3 invites ever. There just aren't jillions invites floating around, so don't bother asking.

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 9, 2012

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sperg Victorious posted:

You can get newznab running pretty easily, but the bandwidth requirements can be kinda high, since it's constantly updating. Plus diskspace.

I'll run some tests this week to see the CPU usage and see if I can get it up and running on a VPS account

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I've tried it out with nginx, I forget what the load averages were but I know they would get over 2 and I think generally sat over 1.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sperg Victorious posted:

I've tried it out with nginx, I forget what the load averages were but I know they would get over 2 and I think generally sat over 1.

I guess that's not too bad when its only me using it.

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010
Another refugee from nzbmatrix.com , does anyone have any invites left for the dognzb ? Im a big dog lover and usenet user , your invite will go to good hands

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a handsome crab
Apr 24, 2007

DOGnzb just reset everyone's invites back to zero, by the looks of what's being posted they're planning on staying small in an attempt to fly under the radar, so unless you currently have an account with them don't expect to get one any time soon.

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

Did dognzg, nzbs.org, or nbz.su have any kind of open registration before nzbmatrix shutdown? I know that no one has any invites right now so I'm just curious if it'd be likely that any of those indexer would open up registration after the nzbmatrix exodus ends. I'm fairly new to Usenet so nzbmatrix was unfortunately the only indexer that I had an account for.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

http://omgwtfnzbs.com Still has reg open. I think I'm stuck with Binsearch otherwise though.

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010
Not sure about nzbs.org but dognzb and nzb.su were open for a short time , but i missed the open signup .

a handsome crab
Apr 24, 2007

SilentGeek posted:

Did dognzg, nzbs.org, or nbz.su have any kind of open registration before nzbmatrix shutdown? I know that no one has any invites right now so I'm just curious if it'd be likely that any of those indexer would open up registration after the nzbmatrix exodus ends. I'm fairly new to Usenet so nzbmatrix was unfortunately the only indexer that I had an account for.

NZB.su was open for a long time previously, but I haven't been there in about a month or two so I'm not sure if that's still correct. DOGnzb was created ~100days ago, was was open for about a month or so? Hang tight, I imagine something has to fill the void that NZBmatrix has created.

SilentGeek
Jul 24, 2011

a handsome crab posted:

NZB.su was open for a long time previously, but I haven't been there in about a month or two so I'm not sure if that's still correct. DOGnzb was created ~100days ago, was was open for about a month or so? Hang tight, I imagine something has to fill the void that NZBmatrix has created.

Alright. I'll just have to be patient and search nzbindex or something for a while and try to avoid any viruses.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Here is a convenient Google search that brings up Newznab sites.

Enjoy!

(Note: there's no easy way to tell how up-to-date or maintained they are, but it's better than nothing.)

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

If you got purged from nzb.su were you a free user? I got my account back by asking to upgrade to VIP status so maybe that could still be an option (even though giving money to a site that could belly up anytime is still a risk).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm still using Easynews and lately the only way I could find some things completed was to download them http from them since they auto unpack them as soon as they get them.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

inpheaux posted:

As I just asked on IRC, why the hell were you people only using NZBmatrix in the first place?

quote:

To my knowledge, no private Newznab sites have constantly replenishing invites. NZBs.org only gives out something like 50 invites per month total. I've had DogNZB / NZB.su accounts for ages, and between the two of them I think I've seen 3 invites ever.

You just answered your own question.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Crackbone posted:

You just answered your own question.
In the time NZBMatrix has been crap (so, lets go with the last 6 months), all three of those sites have had open registration at one time or another, which is why they never had to depend on steady invites. NZB.su had open reg all the way up until last night.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

At one time or another being the operative phrase. Matrix worked well enough, and it's tiresome to keep checking all time to see if one of the "better" indexers was letting people in.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
Regardless of whether the 'tech' was better on other sites, user comments can be very useful. Most of them may have had little value, but: a) you didn't have to look at them; b) they occasionally would be useful; and c) every site would have dumb comments if comments were enabled.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:Modnote: Do not request or provide invites in this thread:siren:

This has always been the rule as outlined in the OP, it has not changed now that you REALLY want an invite.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh god, I'm so lost now :ohdear:

inpheaux posted:

Here is a convenient Google search that brings up Newznab sites.

Enjoy!

(Note: there's no easy way to tell how up-to-date or maintained they are, but it's better than nothing.)

Thanks for this, I've gotten a few of these to work for me. This is worrisome. :ohdear: :ohdear:

tjume
Feb 8, 2009

inpheaux posted:

- Something gets posted to Usenet
- Post gets listed at NZBMatrix
- Post at NZBMatrix starts getting comments / downloads / etc
- DMCA-Troll organization rolls through NZBMatrix top-10's and sends out DMCA's to Giganews/Highwinds/Astraweb/Blocknews
- Post at NZBMatrix fills with tears as another thing posted to NZBMatrix is mysteriously nuked
You forgot the last step:
- Whining posts get posted to the Wall of Fame of the anti-piracy group and used for bragging rights
:P

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Alereon posted:

:siren:Modnote: Do not request or provide invites in this thread:siren:

This has always been the rule as outlined in the OP, it has not changed now that you REALLY want an invite.
Furthermore, there really aren't any invites floating around right now. NZB.su's invite system seems to have disappeared, and they aren't even granting new accounts VIP access. DogNZB had invites (I had a few left as of a couple days ago), but it looks like those were all reset to 0 in the past few hours. NZBs.org has always had an invite system but invites have never been widely distributed.

In general, calm down. Any vacuum will be filled with new sites, just not within hours.

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010
I wonder how many users have signed up for vip at nzbmatrix the last 30 days?

No word about refunds

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010

tjume posted:

- Whining posts get posted to the Wall of Fame of the anti-piracy group and used for bragging rights

Holy poo poo , there is a familiar post there

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Dude With Pants posted:

I wonder how many users have signed up for vip at nzbmatrix the last 30 days?

No word about refunds

Might be able to do a chargeback.

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Why is mice sech cowards?
All my account hoarding has finally come in handy. :pray:

Sad to lose NZBMatrix after so many years... not as sad as losing the original Newzbin, mind you, but still feels like a watershed moment in the history of Usenet file-sharing.

I have to agree with inpheaux, however. It may be better for the community that NZBMatrix closes down. They had a big target on their back and the results of that were being felt everywhere.

There are so many other solutions out there these days... I don't doubt a few dozen indexers will step up to fill the void. Also, there's always binsearch.info, right?

Dude With Pants
May 29, 2010
well anyone who has altbinz doesn't really need those sites . I did need nzbmatrix just to check what is released the current day

Jqim
Mar 8, 2012
Only got on board usenet a month or 2 ago. Seems like I stepped onto a sinking ship.

Just tried out http://www.nzbindex.nl/ , got myself a .exe file ... great

Jqim fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 9, 2012

leo_r
Oct 6, 2009

tjume posted:

The grammar on that website is atrocious. You'd expect a legal "group" to have slightly better checking on their website.

j00pY
Aug 27, 2004

Dude With Pants posted:

well anyone who has altbinz doesn't really need those sites . I did need nzbmatrix just to check what is released the current day

Yep that was mostly all I used the site for. I've just set up Sick Beard with sabnzbd now which seems to be a really nice automated method of grabbing shows, but it was always nice to come across random new shows in Nzbmatrix

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Anyone know why I can't get newznab to process releases? I find the binaries ok from the test groups I'm using:

http://pastebin.com/gm6Ttgf9

Then get this when I try to process them:

http://pastebin.com/MHhLVATw

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Horn posted:

Is there a place to get a good how to on how one would set this up? This sounds perfect for some of the daily talk shows.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97657

Its a plugin for xbmc. You then either get the branch of sickbeard that nabs the nzbs and converts them to .strms for placement in your library. Or you can get the newznab plugin which backs into any newznab based site and lets you browse their indexes and do searches. I think it also supports favorite shows on some sites so you don't need to search.

I didn't realize that newznab actually indexed the headers itself. Do you run into access issues when you use newznab personally to crawl the headers through your usenet provider - such as api limits? I think that once the private aggregators fall individual newznab sites are going to have to be the way forward.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Bobx66 posted:

I didn't realize that newznab actually indexed the headers itself. Do you run into access issues when you use newznab personally to crawl the headers through your usenet provider - such as api limits?
You'd be hitting your provider directly asking for headers, so there's no limiting there at all. Plus, costs can be kept low, because if you go with a plan like one of Astraweb's Block plans, they don't count headers towards your block. So you get a $10 one-time-fee block plan, and all it ever does is download headers so the block never runs out.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Jqim posted:

Only got on board usenet a month or 2 ago. Seems like I stepped onto a sinking ship.

Just tried out http://www.nzbindex.nl/ , got myself a .exe file ... great

You didn't. Ebb and flow, that's all this is

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

suddenlyissoon posted:

You didn't. Ebb and flow, that's all this is

All this has happened before, and all this will happen again~

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Nzbs.org is down right now, not sure if just flooded by people finding out Nzbmatrix is down or if its a bad sign.

DanManIt
Sep 5, 2008
Is there any real difference between the three sites: dognzb, nzb.su and nzbs.org?

Edit: Also we have an IRC channel ?!?

DanManIt fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sting
Mar 24, 2002
loved nzbmatrix, what sucks the most is i cant remember what i had bookmarked.