Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ashgromnies posted:

I like Ross just for the spectacle of his music/persona. His verses are all basically the same content though. Big money, freak hoes, push weight, do work, BAWS.

Don't forget "Ro-ZAY!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Rick Ross isn't the worst thing out there. I find his music generally tolerable-to-decent. Don't really care that it's all bullshit; it sounds good and it gets me fired up all the same. I think he is kind of dumb for further baiting GD though.

Perpetual Ascent
Feb 24, 2008

His haunts are not confined to the valley, but extend at times to the adjacent roads...
Ross is one of my favorite rappers lately but that God Forgives poo poo was terrible, I don't care who you are

Rich Forever was good though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAqNqFXvQWY

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

temple posted:

Naw, ASAP Rocky isn't the comparison you want to make. He tries and so he might improve. Lil B does everything of the top of his head, so when he rhymes and it sounds tight, its like "Yay it worked." Trinidad is not able to rap.

Someone said that its like a boondocks character. It only took a few years.

I think Lil B kinda smashed the color/rap barrier for punk music. Maybe you could argue Bad Brains but they were too talented, it wasn't really "punk" music anymore.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just listened to ONIFC. The production is OK and I don't think it's completely awful but Wiz sounds so bored on the whole, like really phoning it in on most of the tracks.
Also an Akon feature in 2012 ugh.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
This Swimming Pools x Footsteps in the Dark Remix is hot.

edit: and I've never heard of Smash Brovaz before hearing this song - Paper Planes but I like it a lot

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 9, 2012

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Perpetual Ascent posted:

Ross is one of my favorite rappers lately but that God Forgives poo poo was terrible, I don't care who you are

Yeah I was really disappointed with God Forgives. I really liked Deeper Than Rap, Albert Anastasia/teflon Don, and the first MMG tape. His poo poo before that was fun but not great in any way (besides the production). Out of nowhere he apparently became a good rapper and now it feels like he's throwing that away. At least he ALWAYS has good production.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

the black husserl posted:

I think Lil B kinda smashed the color/rap barrier for punk music. Maybe you could argue Bad Brains but they were too talented, it wasn't really "punk" music anymore.

what

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I will say that the MMG drop is one of my favorites.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Are you a drug addict. Are you drunk right now bro

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Whoops that was almost a derail wasn't it? Bad Brains aren't rap music. I think you see what I mean though so its back to the raps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_9oyfl-gA

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Lil B just makes lovely music

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
i wanna let it slide but i really don't know what the gently caress you are talking about

he "cooks" while he "freestyles" but idk if that qualifies it as punk music

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
edit: nevermind

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 9, 2012

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Whoops that was almost a derail wasn't it? Bad Brains aren't rap music. I think you see what I mean though so its back to the raps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf_9oyfl-gA
no i don't think anyone sees what the gently caress you mean

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

THNDRTHF posted:

i wanna let it slide but i really don't know what the gently caress you are talking about

he "cooks" while he "freestyles" but idk if that qualifies it as punk music

Okay this is pretty simple for me: in not following the conventions of rap music (quality control, talent, aesthetics, sexuality) Lil B is making music in a way that resembles the way punk musicians disregarded those same conventions in rock music.

The "color barrier" aspect is that when a white rocker tosses off a sloppy lo-fi single with lyrics made up on the spot, its a legitimate artistic choice. When a black rapper does it they just suck. Lil B changed that.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Okay this is pretty simple for me: in not following the conventions of rap music (quality control, talent, aesthetics, sexuality) Lil B is making music in a way that resembles the way punk musicians disregarded those same conventions in rock music.

The "color barrier" aspect is that when a white rocker tosses off a sloppy lo-fi single with lyrics made up on the spot, its a legitimate artistic choice. When a black rapper does it they just suck. Lil B changed that.

Bad Brains were pretty serious and made legitimately good music (not that Lil B doesn't). They weren't tongue-and-cheek. Other than the fact that they were one of the only black punk groups to gain popularlity (still doesn't have anything to do with rap, ever, obviously)....yeah I still don't know what you're talking about.

EDIT- oh, another thing that makes your analogy incredibly confusing- Bad Brains were huge homophobes.

Slackerish fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 9, 2012

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Slackerish posted:

Bad Brains were pretty serious and made legitimately good music (not that Lil B doesn't). They weren't tongue-and-cheek. Other than the fact that they were one of the only black punk groups to gain popularlity....yeah I still don't know what you're talking about.

I think he's speaking to the way they conducted themselves. Lo-fi lovely recordings in New York, being banned from DC clubs for HR beating too many people up. That wasn't rock at the time, that was punk.

I like Lil' B, I'm never gonna say he's the greatest rapper alive. But he's doing something different and I like that something. He's incredibly prolific, he just put out a new mixtape two weeks after his last one and they're pretty different from one another. I'm not gonna get into the Lil' B discussion, people in the thread dislike him by enough of a margin that he had his own thread made. But I would agree when people state that Lil' B is the rap equivalent of punk. His songs have weird mastering, the beats can be all over the place, he can rap or just BASE FREESTYLE. But it's not like anything else that was out before him and it really hasn't been copied yet. The only person to come close to his rapping style is Riff Raff, and that's equally divided. But I would argue that Lil' B has more tracks of substance than Riff does, and I dig Riff Raff.

Ok, my 2 cents.

Also, excited about LongLiveA$AP. I loved listening to LiveLoveA$AP last year (It's been over a year!?) during the winter, so I hope this keeps the same dark moody vibe.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Slackerish posted:

EDIT- oh, another thing that makes your analogy incredibly confusing- Bad Brains were huge homophobes.

I'm very glad you posted this because its worth hearing from the band themselves on the subject. It actually jives very well with the current conversation about race and genre.

Bad Brains posted:

DJ: I feel it. You can see it in the book they wrote about how that whole hate-Bad-Brains poo poo started with MDC and Big Boys, way back in the 80s. People don't realize that band, MDC, was short of us having to put a protection order against them, that's how up our asses they were. Not literally, you know, figuratively speaking. Like we had fans and bands that like us and dig our style, but this particular band, MDC, was awkwardly stuck on wanting to sound like us, hang around us or whatever.

I'm trying to paint you a picture of how the hate-the-Bad-Brains poo poo can be racial, and there's a few stories that are significant, that speak to that. One is, if you read the first book about American hardcore or whatever, the only thing that's really brought up in there is this particular story where we were in Texas, staying at this band's house called the Big Boys, and the Big Boys happened to be gay. Now we were budding Rastafarians, trying to find our way, some black kids from Washington, D.C. trying to seek out ourselves, spiritually. But we were young; we were all in our twenties.

So here's what's happening now: We get out there in Texas and the Big Boys, they're thinking, in a frat boy-ish sort of way, that that's funny, like, "Let's tease them or do something to see what type of reactions we could get out of it because they're probably homophobic, because if they're into some Christian-based faith then that's probably what their doctrine is."
All right, now we're talking about some deep poo poo. Now the one thing you gotta know-- because people have been calling us homophobic and poo poo like that, but people are not realizing what I just described to you: That's when we were young. People have to understand and grow and be and live.

But now I'm going to take the story back. So we're some young Rastas, man, we just know one thing: what Jah tells us. But then you got these frat boy-ish gay dudes who thinks that's cute, they don't have a sense of respect, for whatever reason. They think that's cute. So they do poo poo, provocative poo poo, around us to try and get a reaction from us, and the reaction they got from us is that I asked them could they give me a bag of weed, $40 bag of weed, right? And they went and got the weed and then HR got into a confrontation with one of the dudes from the Big Boys [who] tried to rub up on him or something, and [HR] said, "Fire burn, Jah says the way you're living, the lifestyle is not right. You have to circumcise your heart and your soul and your spirit, get yourself right." But you gotta understand this is a young dude that's like anybody overzealous about anything, you know what I mean? It doesn't have to necessarily be religion, but it's all about a rock band staying at somebody's house.

Now, we took the weed, left, and said, "That's the way y'all treated us out here, we're out. Gone. We're the Bad Brains." Now that turns into "These niggers roll into town, steal our weed, call us fags, with a Bible in their hand, and they're homophobes and criminals." This is the description of a band that's always started all-youth movements in D.C., playing the hood, like the Clash, always saying, "We come to unite black and white," always singing about peace and positivity. Our whole existence is based on peace, love, and positivity, even before we discovered Rastafarianism. And now you got one incident in our struggle within ourselves and the struggle within the band's self that stuck with us. I'm telling you: This is all simple, stupid poo poo, and that to me is racist, because if the Dead Kennedys would have came and done the same thing, that poo poo would not have stuck on and stigmatized them. If Black Flag would have came through there and called them dudes fags and took their weed, Mugger or somebody, that poo poo would not stigmatize them as homophobes and carry on throughout their careers.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 9, 2012

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
lil b is avant garde but that doesnt mean hes punk. punk is about beating people up, yelling and doing stuff that normal society would look down upon. lil b is about running around shirtless and popping molly while going 'whoop' and 'swag.' not quite the same thing...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Punk was a movement with vast social ramifications and it was always more about that than the sonic parts. I don't really see a good analogy for that in modern rap though I can see where you are coming from about Lil B. Avant garde is a much better fit though.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

i feel that, i thought you meant he was doing some kind of groundbreaking crossover genre i wasn't aware of

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
lil b is the rap game's john zorn.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Perpetual Ascent posted:

This is so bizzare, but I'm pretty sure they just stole shots directly from a Top Gear review of the Bugatti Super Sport. Goddamn that's some fantasy poo poo, at least rent the car if you're going to pretend it's yours.

e- 1:21-1:22 there's a shot of the VW track sign. Hahaha, oh Ricky Rozay
e2-\/\/ It appears you are right, I take my silly jab back \/\/

Morphix fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 9, 2012

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Morphix posted:

This is so bizzare, but I'm pretty sure they just stole shots directly from a Top Gear review of the Bugatti Super Sport. Goddamn that's some fantasy poo poo, at least rent the car if you're going to pretend it's yours.

e- 1:21-1:22 there's a shot of the VW track sign. Hahaha, oh Ricky Rozay

Well it looks just like a fanmade video to me, there's no segments of anyone actually rapping to the words.

Gotta give him a pass on that one.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

youngallah posted:

lil b is avant garde but that doesnt mean hes punk. punk is about beating people up, yelling and doing stuff that normal society would look down upon. lil b is about running around shirtless and popping molly while going 'whoop' and 'swag.' not quite the same thing...

punk is not really about the things you mentioned and lil b is not really about the things you mentioned

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

an skeleton posted:

Riff Raff and Dirt Nasty are the once and future kings of hip hop, just admit it. also they are just as "sincere" as Lil B, people are just being upside down-reverse-double-racists because they are white. Also to the guy above me there was a Riff Raff before Lil B.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sometimes I like to watch Lil B and Riff Raff on youtube when I get home drunk late at night. They are both guys who are having a great time doing their thing, and their thing makes me laugh sometimes, so they are ok in my book. I guess you can call them counterculture or punk or whatever, but they don't seem very interested in that sort of thing.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I Pledge Allegiance to the Grind II first, then Pl3dge, then IPAtG I. Then Monster (I've never listened to it though) because I'm pretty sure that's all he's put out. Also listen to ADIDAS a bunch and remember what the world was like when Outkast was still a thing

Thanks, been listening to Grind II a lot. It's good, although the whole album is really quiet after El-P's production on R.A.P.. Seems like the dude's beats are getting ridiculously bass-heavy lately.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Cool, find something from my post history and quote it. Anyways, doesn't change the fact that punk is most certainly not just about breaking thinks and Lil B's "movement" or whatever you want to call it is not just about popping mollys and saying "wooh."

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jGyLYyE2IQ

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I think lil B is an artist liberated from corporate demands and produces art that maximizes his expression. He screeches across commercial expectations and people unknowingly enjoy it because it sounds genuine. His music, his production cycle, his aesthetic is his own and from an different motivation than most other hiphop acts. I think he represents a lot of good things about hiphop long forgotten. He's like a litmus test for how brainwashed a listener is to current trends. New fans who don't have standards disciplined by years of corporate influence in hiphop love him, older fans begrudgingly respect him. He embodies a liberation that some have denied and offends those that are too beholden to the system.

I could say a lot about lil B because I like those off-center hiphop acts. My favorite rapper is Ol' Dirty Bastard and he is from a similar artistic heredity. Ol' Dirty encapsulate soul music, rock and roll, disco, jazz, and hiphop: basically a black music melting pot. He transcends hiphop more than he conforms to it. He, like lil B, comes from a place of expression and ODB is more about honesty. Dirt is in love with the raw, the pure, and his music is the raw essence of everything you are going to hear in black music. Saying "I want pussy for free" is what every love song is demanding when stripped away from its flowery language. His vulgarity is the truth peeking beneath the surface of most communication and used to be more expected/accepted in the past than now. If you listen to old comedy tapes (the only place where black people could be honest in earlier years), Red Foxx and Richard Pyror revere the vulgar and profane. It is a washing pit for cleansing yourself from the sterile, assimilating force of mainstream, Victorian influence of American culture. The whiteness isn't really pure, its a lie that hides the prolific blackness that permeates all of American culture. The 70s knew that and they say that Generation X reveres the 70s. I think it is true because there was a liberation from capitalistic domination that is almost never found in the 80s and 90s. Everything is about a money or in opposition to money. So, Ol Dirty and the past truth tellers shielded themselves from corruption by using obscenity. Be so raw, so dirty that owners are afraid to touch you. He channeled his ancestors and you hear so plainly in his music. He would "sing rap" as he called it to borrow from soul music. It is no surprise he constantly reinvented himself via his name and was a member of the Nations of the Gods and the Earths (focused on the spiritual liberation of black people).

Ol' Dirty Bastard was doing for hiphop culture what I think lil B is doing for hiphop enterprise.

temple fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 10, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Really good post there Temple but don't you think Lil B is esoteric compared to ODB? And he lacks a benefactor like the Wu-tang clan to act as a complement/safety net to provide that solid mainstream foundation. Lil B doesn't seem well known or prominent enough following his initial shockwave to be or make his own movement/lasting imprint on hiphop. I guess time will tell on that; based god has only been on the scene for what a couple years?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 10, 2012

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Woop. Cooking. Swag

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Lil B's mentor is Too Short. If anyone can teach you how to be relevant for years, its him.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

It's been a long time since I've been up with the play with what's been coming out recently but I heard this last week and it's got to be the best thing I've heard in a really long time. Amazing beat, great flow. Would love some recommendations.

Clear Soul Forces - 'Gon Get 'Em
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSUU-aMcgVY&list=FLRkR1RfO4DBPzenLotiI1VQ&index=3

Loving Joey Bada$$ too

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Cool Buff Man posted:

Woop. Cooking. Swag
The modern equivalent of ODB.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Lil B brought together punk and rap footwear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fR2OgGbKds

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

youngallah posted:

Nailed it. :suicide:

Actually, when you strip out the rhetoric of punk, that is pretty much all there is.

My 14 year old self would loving hate me right now.

Brotax
Jul 29, 2006

He's Mr. White Christmas.

He's Mr. Snow.

thathonkey posted:

edit: and I've never heard of Smash Brovaz before hearing this song - Paper Planes but I like it a lot

God :drat: I think I'm in love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

thathonkey posted:

both are dope, thanks for sharing.

• Locked thread