Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Aspergeoisie posted:

Caliborn was still hilarious in his vicious attacks on Jane. But I wasn't laughing this time. Just too many feelings :smith:

I don't know how anyone could find that funny. Calling someone fat is one thing, hell I was in hysterics all the times Vriska rubbed Tavros' face in being crippled, but this crossed the line. At least for me. I don't understand anyone considering Caliborn the best character anymore after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nephthys posted:

I don't know how anyone could find that funny. Calling someone fat is one thing, hell I was in hysterics all the times Vriska rubbed Tavros' face in being crippled, but this crossed the line. At least for me. I don't understand anyone considering Caliborn the best character anymore after this.

I mean, Gamzee is clearly still the best character. But Caliborn's typing quirk combined with what he says and his generally ridiculous sense of entitlement as a "boy" are consistently humorous.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

She's going to run straight into the STRONG yet comforting embrace of Equiusprite, who is waiting in her house.

Being abused by a weird green skull kid is hard. It's hard and nobody understands.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 9, 2012

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Nephthys posted:

There's a difference between best character and best person. Sometimes the villain just ends up more believable/engaging/compelling than any of the good guys--subjectively speaking, of course.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
The amazing thing about Homestuck is you can call any character the best and be objectively right.

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.

Nephthys posted:

On the other hand, I thought Vriska tormenting Tavros for being crippled was a lot worse than this (and yet I later went from hating Vriska to liking her somehow), so it probably depends on the person v:shobon:v

(Also, HUMAN BORTH)

Luminous Obscurity posted:

The amazing thing about Homestuck is you can call any character the best and be objectively right.
Cronus :colbert:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cronus is the best... at being a creepy little gently caress.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Cronus is the best... at being a creepy little gently caress.

Uh no how about you don't put "Cronus" and "best" in the same sentence again unless there is a definite note of negation towards the second word.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

YF-23 posted:

Uh no how about you don't put "Cronus" and "best" in the same sentence again unless there is a definite note of negation towards the second word.

Alright then. Cronus isn't the best at being a creepy little gently caress. Well, that's wrong. Your move chump. :colbert:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Mister Gutsy posted:

On the other hand, I thought Vriska tormenting Tavros for being crippled was a lot worse than this (and yet I later went from hating Vriska to liking her somehow), so it probably depends on the person v:shobon:v

To me Vriska doing that was so hilariously mean-spirited that it became funny. It was over the top and Tavros never really got too upset over it. The point is that it was mostly just mean.

This is evil.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's amazing how Hussie can depict a discomfiting scene of mental torture and make it both effective at being that and slapstick-funny at the same time.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Nephthys posted:

I recall a lot of people being disgusted by Vriska but the sheer absurdity of it all ended up defusing the nastiness. The more we learned about her the more we could understand her actions, though not condone them.

As for Equius, were it not for few minor things like his distress over Aradiabot exploding and the last moments with Nepeta he'd just be a 1D character but with those he became rather likeable, in a disgusting, creepy racist kind of way.

I honestly think Hussie down plays just how well he wrote Equius. He may be a joke character from start to finish but he still had some surprising depth.

EDIT
And reading the weird "Let's Read" by mousa pays off thank to him reminding me of this line;

quote:

AG: I don’t see how we’re supposed to 8e 8ecoming friends if you recoil from my olive 8ranch like I’m twitching a mummified 8ovine phallus in your direction.

quote:

uu: HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BE BECOMING FRIENDS. IF YOU RECOIL FROM MY OLIVE BRANCH.
uu: LIKE I'M FLAILING A WITHERED MUMMY'S SEVERED LIMB IN YOUR DIRECTION.
Hussie really must remember every singleline he's written...

Popo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 9, 2012

Mister Gutsy
May 6, 2012

You love having a dead sister. Having a dead sister is an experience you would highly recommend to everybody.
Cronus is not the best at not being a creepy gently caress! :buddy:

Nephthys posted:

To me Vriska doing that was so hilariously mean-spirited that it became funny. It was over the top and Tavros never really got too upset over it. The point is that it was mostly just mean.

This is evil.
Still, at the time, I probably would have been shocked to hear that anyone found the Vriska-Tavros thing funny. What makes one person laugh might make another person uncomfortable, and vice versa.

I didn't find this update all that funny myself (Dad :ohdear:) but I can still see the humour in watching the comic's villain go through his "bratty pre-teen on Xbox Live" phase and I think Caliborn is generally a pretty funny character, though maybe not the best one.

In other news, it seems that some people have recieved the signed prints from the Kickstarter, so other rewards might be shipping out soon too. :neckbeard:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Caliborn is normally a pretty funny character, but this time it's not very funny and instead just kind of very awful. It is still entirely possible to think that he is a good character even though he sometimes is not funny and also never a good person. I forgot the point i was making?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Funny and awful are not really mutually exclusive. I know I probably would've laughed if it wasn't so terrible.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Technique posted:

Caliborn is normally a pretty funny character, but this time it's not very funny and instead just kind of very awful. It is still entirely possible to think that he is a good character even though he sometimes is not funny and also never a good person. I forgot the point i was making?

Good person =/= good character.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
When you get down to it, Caliborn's personality is basically what Karkat would be if he was a sociopath.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Zorak posted:

When you get down to it, Caliborn's personality is basically what Karkat would be if he was a sociopath.

So we've got like 4 inversions of Karkat by this point. Calliope, Kankri, John (sort of) and now Caliborn.

It's Karkat's all the way down!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hey, guys, did you see this yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3DJ4MeGsbA

:allears:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

So we've got like 4 inversions of Karkat by this point. Calliope, Kankri, John (sort of) and now Caliborn.

The Karkat pile doesn't stop from getting taller.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Calliope?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Zerilan posted:

Calliope?

Her first pesterlog was more or less a reversal of Karkat's first (I think) pesterlog with Jade (the SO THIS IS THE DAY YOU gently caress EVERYTHING UP one). Plus the grey and her being nice and helpful to the B2 kids did make it seem like it was an inverse Karkat at the time.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

YF-23 posted:

Her first pesterlog was more or less a reversal of Karkat's first (I think) pesterlog with Jade (the SO THIS IS THE DAY YOU gently caress EVERYTHING UP one). Plus the grey and her being nice and helpful to the B2 kids did make it seem like it was an inverse Karkat at the time.

Not to mention that both Calliope and Caliborn's text color codes are extrapolations of Karkat's. Hussie was clearly going for the comparison.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's like all the characters are Karkat a little bit. This means that Karkat is Andrew Hussie's real persona.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Has there been any word about the donation bonuses from the Kickstarter? I know it mentioned wanting to make sure everything got here by Christmas, and, well, that date is sorta fast approaching.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

You know, I've never really understood what a conductor actually does at an orchestral performance. Do the highly trained and skilled musicians just not know when the hell to start playing, and if that guy with the baton wasn't there some tuba would just start blasting off his piece in the middle of the first movement?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Cabbit posted:

You know, I've never really understood what a conductor actually does at an orchestral performance. Do the highly trained and skilled musicians just not know when the hell to start playing, and if that guy with the baton wasn't there some tuba would just start blasting off his piece in the middle of the first movement?

To keep everyone's tempo and changes of volume in sync.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cabbit posted:

Getting the tempo and volume right when you're in the orchestral pit is a bear. You need someone standing outside of it making sure the sound reaching the audience is just right. (Also very important for highschool productions because they're not highly trained and skilled musicians)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Popo posted:

And reading the weird "Let's Read" by mousa pays off thank to him reminding me of this line;

Hussie really must remember every singleline he's written...

The first of those was already a callback, of course.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

It's like all the characters are Karkat a little bit. This means that Karkat is Andrew Hussie's real persona.

There's a little bit of Karkat in everyone.

Especially if you count the fanfiction.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Cabbit posted:

When you're a soloist you can be performing off of sheet music that says "play this part slowly, with passion" and you can play it however the hell you want, but when you're in an ensemble you need that one guy in the front telling you how slowly and how passionately so that everyone's not off doing their own thing and getting in each other's way.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Also the conductor is there to make funny faces and get really loving into it, like Fuckin Lenny B

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Among other things, if there's a pause in the music, the conductor has to bring everyone back in at the same time. Also, drummers and bassists without a conductor tend to go hog wild with the tempo. (I was a tuba player, I know.)

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Interesting! I didn't realize, but in retrospect it does seem like herding cats to get everyone on the same tempo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Also the conductor is there to make funny faces and get really loving into it, like Fuckin Lenny B

Perfect, it's so close to the end of the world as we know it and I finally learn who Leonard Bernstein is.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Conductors collaborate with an ensemble in tempo, style and artistic intent. The goal is to bring together one cohesive image/impression during a performance, so conductors facilitate by cueing entrances, move to convey the style wanted (be it flowing and long, crisp and dancelike, etc) and time/dynamic.

They take all the individual interpretations and combine them into one large performance. It may look like waving arms but they actually have a very important job a lot of the time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cleretic posted:

Perfect, it's so close to the end of the world as we know it and I finally learn who Leonard Bernstein is.

He died tenth months after this was filmed, by the way.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Are you at least up on your Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce, and Lester Bangs?

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
So, my brother just told me about a new trend exploding on Tumblr: Reimagining musicians as Homestuck character and mashing up their music with Homestuck music.

They're calling it Ke$hastuck.

So there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The things Homestuck fans end up doing during update lulls never cease to amaze me.

What are they going to do when Homestuck ends :stare: