Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was able to claw my way up to S Rank using a very inexpert Teddie in pub matches before getting bored. Not that it was easy to get bored with Teddie. He just poked the enemy to death in an endless, goofy slapstick routine that probably had people's eyes bugging out from fury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Doyagao posted:

Helpful grind information

Can you (or anybody else who's inclined) do a similar data dump for Yukiko? I've got some basic combos down with her but I can't seem to work stuff like her SB Agi into combos, and apparently that's where most of her damage comes from. Also I'm terrible at jump-canceling into stuff, which I'm pretty sure means I need to just sit down in training mode for an hour and practice it ):

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

Coca Koala posted:

Can you (or anybody else who's inclined) do a similar data dump for Yukiko? I've got some basic combos down with her but I can't seem to work stuff like her SB Agi into combos, and apparently that's where most of her damage comes from. Also I'm terrible at jump-canceling into stuff, which I'm pretty sure means I need to just sit down in training mode for an hour and practice it ):

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?14535-P4A-Yukiko-Amagi-Combo-Thread-%28Updated-08-22-12%29

The dustloop wiki and forums have all the information you would ever need about this game.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

Also, what do "ch" and "->" mean specifically in that post? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but gently caress it. Gotta start from somewhere.

ch stands for counterhit
-> just means follow up. in the knockdown combos it means 5dd is not part of the actual combo. in the a+b part it is part of the combo after you get the fatal counter from the finisher.

sorry, I was being a little ambiguous. I wrote all the info from the top of my head without checking anything or even checking the wording afterwards.

Coca Koala posted:

Actually for yukiko her movement is a lot more important than any combos. You should spend a lot more time getting her spacing right before bothering with the better combos. At very least grind the following patterns down:

Make the opponent block and repeat these:
1. superjump airbackdash into j6b dash 5a. Do the airbackdash as fast and low as possible, while still being high enough for j.6b to come out. Practice this off a dash as well. 66 (super)jump 44 j6b repeat
2. superjump instant j2b, j6b on the way down. You can throw two fans during a jump doing this.
3. add these together for superjump instant j2b, airbackdash j.6b on the way down.

sometimes you might want to use a different version of the b-fan, depending on the opponent's location on the screen.

I would also suggest learning how to do TK 236A and TK 236B. TK is an old street fighter term and stands for tiger knee, while it used to be a 6239 input, now it just means a special and 9 input at the end of it so that you'll jump and do the special as soon as you're in the air. In otherwords, 2369A and 2369B. They're pretty good zoning tools for yukiko. Hold the A and B and you'll have really good antiair trap set up.

I don't play yukiko as much as I play some other characters, so I'm not going to make a very detailed post covering all her basics. Apart from the harder loops, getting the 2D release 236a dash 2a for an unblockable timing down is pretty important

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.

Doyagao posted:

Bokosuka/all out attack (A+B) into C finisher until you get fatal counter 20 times in a row without a fail
Bokosuka into D finisher until you get a fatal counter 20 times in a row without a fail. Learn the rhythm how you need to mash the A and B buttons to get the maximum amount of hits.
Oh Christ, this bit! Would you have any tips for getting all 15 hits out of all-out attacks? Is there a timing to it that makes it easier, because I just can not mash that fast. I hope it's not a case of practice makes perfect, because this may just be my brick wall. After an hour of practice I can get the fatal counter maybe 10% of the time, but even that requires re-mapping and holding the controller in a way that makes every other aspect of the game unplayable.

I need your halp!

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Mumblyfish posted:

Oh Christ, this bit! Would you have any tips for getting all 15 hits out of all-out attacks? Is there a timing to it that makes it easier, because I just can not mash that fast. I hope it's not a case of practice makes perfect, because this may just be my brick wall. After an hour of practice I can get the fatal counter maybe 10% of the time, but even that requires re-mapping and holding the controller in a way that makes every other aspect of the game unplayable.

I need your halp!

Hit both A and B at the same time and do it 8 times. It's total hits of A or B. Thus, hitting A+B counts as two.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
That is almost right. It's actually A+B 6x to hit the max hits once you've started the actual all-out attack, but you can hit it 8x to include the initial attack and the follow-up before the smoke cloud appears. It's not a 1:1 relationship between inputs and hits.

Anyway, point is to just develop a rhythm for hitting A+B six times after the smoke cloud is up, then do your finisher.

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
Thanks, that helped. Especially knowing that I don't need to start mashing until the smoke cloud appears. Still can't get it every time, but I'm getting there.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
So, I just uploaded another ranked video last night, and would love some tips about what to fix, and what I'm doing wrong here and there. In your opinions, what is the best followup to a non ch 2b, I just stick with 236C 236B, but there must be something else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAd6Z9VQIY

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

So, I just uploaded another ranked video last night, and would love some tips about what to fix, and what I'm doing wrong here and there. In your opinions, what is the best followup to a non ch 2b, I just stick with 236C 236B, but there must be something else.

Like me, you use a few too many air dives, try to cut back on them. Like during the first match you paralyze the other player and then just airdive (and it works for god knows what reason), and then you do the same thing but without the paralyzation against the Naoto who counters it. Also, during that same Naoto match, you end with a follow up Cruel Attack when you had enough meter to do the ex version. It didn't end up mattering, but there's really no reason not to just confirm the kill with the meter.

e: I think you would have got the kill during the first Labyrs match too with an EX cruel attack. Also, make sure to learn the super grab full screen follow ups, EX dive is the easiest if you have the meter. You might know them already but you didn't even attempt it in the Labrys fight so I wasn't sure.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 11, 2012

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!

Countblanc posted:

Like me, you use a few too many air dives, try to cut back on them. Like during the first match you paralyze the other player and then just airdive (and it works for god knows what reason), and then you do the same thing but without the paralyzation against the Naoto who counters it. Also, during that same Naoto match, you end with a follow up Cruel Attack when you had enough meter to do the ex version. It didn't end up mattering, but there's really no reason not to just confirm the kill with the meter.

e: I think you would have got the kill during the first Labyrs match too with an EX cruel attack. Also, make sure to learn the super grab full screen follow ups, EX dive is the easiest if you have the meter. You might know them already but you didn't even attempt it in the Labrys fight so I wasn't sure.

I hit the EX dive off on the first Kanji. I knew the Labrys would have probably died from the EX cruel attack too. I know them, I'm just a moron when it comes to the heat of the battle, and can't decide what to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zetta_Slow posted:

This video gives me the chance to point out that the best part of playing Kanji is killing somebody with a chair toss.

The absolute best.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I just picked this up for 30 bucks and jesus christ is there a way to turn off the lip flapping. It is weirding me the hell out and I'd just rather they not do it.

Edit: Miss President owns and her accent owns, she owns.

Edit 2: If you're wondering what her accent is, it's definitely Bostonian, or at least from around that area of New England.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 11, 2012

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Won a nerve wracking rank-up match tonight to hit S against a Kanji player who was also on the verge of hitting S-rank. What a nailbiter! It seems like the moment I lose initiative, Kanji is all over me with meaty shout into command grab and similar business, but if I can hold it for the entire match I get away mostly unscathed.

Question for Kanji players: how does one deal with the oki into command grab in an online environment? Every so often I can catch somebody by short-hopping and land a counter-hit combo, but usually they just AA me out of it and then it's back into the vortex.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Batigh posted:

Question for Kanji players: how does one deal with the oki into command grab in an online environment? Every so often I can catch somebody by short-hopping and land a counter-hit combo, but usually they just AA me out of it and then it's back into the vortex.

Hold up or DP if you think they are gonna command grab. Holding up loses to meaty attacks, and DP loses to blocking. There is no foolproof option, if you're waking up/in blockstun you have to guess.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I was gonna say backdash but then I looked at the dustloop wiki

quote:

Backsteps can not be done on wakeup: the game's engine disables backsteps for the first 5 frames after recovering from knockdown.

And I guess that would explain why my backdashes seem to not come out half the time...you'd think I would've noticed that :psyduck:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't recommend backdashes as an escape tool in general. IDK if they have invincibility, but if they do it's not that much. Plus they bring on negative penalty if you do it too much. Escape roll is a much better move for evasion.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
They do have some, as I've seen attacks collide with a backstepper and a little white flash happens, but no damage or hitstun is done. I've seen the same sort of thing in BB.

Thanks for the advice - looks like I'll have to go with varied wakeup timing, correct reads, or guesswork. I feel more threatened by Kanji oki than Chie/Yu, oddly.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The thing about Kanji is he's really terrible for 90% of the match. As soon as he gets a knockdown or makes you block lightning, though, he becomes super scary.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Backdashes have 6 frames of invincibility, so it'll get you out of that command throw/push buttons situation at least, while a roll can get you grabbed. The no backdash on wake up thing kinda throws a wrench in that, though.

But yeah, fighting Kanji is less about knowing what to do on wakeup and more about not getting knocked down in the first place.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

I mean, Mitsuru is seriously in need for a nerf right? Or is me having picked up Kanji made me feel this way?

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

I just picked this up for 30 bucks and jesus christ is there a way to turn off the lip flapping. It is weirding me the hell out and I'd just rather they not do it.

Edit: Miss President owns and her accent owns, she owns.

Edit 2: If you're wondering what her accent is, it's definitely Bostonian, or at least from around that area of New England.

switch off the english dubs, I can't stand them either.

Batigh posted:

Another thing you can do is late tech. This is punishable by 2b 236C but it doesn't add that much damage compared to eating kanji throws. It also depends on your character, different characters have different tools. Chie for example has her godfist super, which is surprisingly good against kanji okizeme.

For Kanji players, another thing you can add to your wakeup game is tk 214a/b to punish standing block, wakeup jump and wakeup mash. it's pretty difficult to react to when not expected

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zetta_Slow posted:

I mean, Mitsuru is seriously in need for a nerf right? Or is me having picked up Kanji made me feel this way?

Kanji's the worst character and Mitsuru's the best. I mean it changes a bit but that's the general consensus.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zetta_Slow posted:

Yeah mitsuru is the best character. And Kanji has a 3-7 matchup against her. I picked up Teddie as an alternate specifically to fight Mitsu.

Kanji/Mitsu is winnable, but.... it's really really bad. You can still kill her off a knockdown, but basically you have to either play better than her, or just be way better at guessing. It's a pain, but what are ya gonna do.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Zetta_Slow posted:

Mitsuru is silly yes, she sits at the top in her own tier. She has some matchups where she has trouble though (not sure I'd call it a bad matchup, maybe even) like vs Chie.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

apple posted:

Mitsuru is silly yes, she sits at the top in her own tier. She has some matchups where she has trouble though (not sure I'd call it a bad matchup, maybe even) like vs Chie.

Mitsuru vs Chie is a very even matchup. Basically mitsuru has no really bad matchups at all and she's very solid. Naoto is actually surprisingly good against her, and then there's the other top tiers narukami and aigis which are far from being free for mitsuru

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I recall hearing somewhere that Yosuke is a bit of a bad match-up for her, if only slightly. Dunno how accurate that really is, though.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Golden Battler posted:

I recall hearing somewhere that Yosuke is a bit of a bad match-up for her, if only slightly. Dunno how accurate that really is, though.

not very, I'd say the matchup is in Mitsuru's favor actually. A lot of yousuke's tools arent usable in the matchup. Chie is definitely better for the matcuhp than Yousuke

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Doyagao posted:

not very, I'd say the matchup is in Mitsuru's favor actually. A lot of yousuke's tools arent usable in the matchup. Chie is definitely better for the matcuhp than Yousuke

This! What stood out the most for me when fighting Mitsuru is that she almost always has an option to slip out of oki situations (aside from block everything), and Chie is one of the only characters that can really pin her down and force her to block every time she gets any knockdown.

With Shadow Labrys I only put Mitsuru in lovely situations once I have my awakening super, without it Mitsuru can usually guess with DP to nullify my oki with the exception of some situational safe jump setups.

As for Yosuke.. his bnb's typically leave you in a neutral situation as opposed to giving you good oki, and even worse he has 8300 health. You're MUCH more likely to die in two hits basically. I'm not sure he has enough in his bag of tricks to offset those two things.

Here's a really nice set with Spinking vs Shuuto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhscbs1BfXo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Labrys's story :smithicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fuuuuuck, I really need to get one of those arcade controllers for my Xbox 360. Using the 360 pad is impossible for me; I can't play this game at all on it, the d-pad and analog pads were just not designed with fighting games in mind. It's totally possible to be good at 2d fighting games on the PlayStation 3 controller, but it can't be done on the 360 controller.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

I said come in! posted:

Fuuuuuck, I really need to get one of those arcade controllers for my Xbox 360. Using the 360 pad is impossible for me; I can't play this game at all on it, the d-pad and analog pads were just not designed with fighting games in mind. It's totally possible to be good at 2d fighting games on the PlayStation 3 controller, but it can't be done on the 360 controller.

Yeah it can be a pain. When I was using a controller I was actually switching between the analog and digital in the middle of matches because I just sucked at dashing with the analog. It's not very fun, especially after you play on an arcade stick.

It's just my opinion, probably because I'm used to it, but I prefer the analog pad on the Xbox controller. Then again if I had to use a controller for a game like this again I'd probably just stop. I like my 4 button square set up and being able to dash and IAD without my thumb falling off. If you do get an arcade stick just be prepared to suck even more for a bit.

e: Oh yeah to clarify I never actually played this with a regular controller, those experiences were all from Blazblue. I can imagine this game's even worse on a controller because it's less floaty and faster.

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 13, 2012

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

I said come in! posted:

recommending hori real arcade pro 3: SA or qanba bigben. Worth every dollar.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doyagao posted:

recommending hori real arcade pro 3: SA or qanba bigben. Worth every dollar.

Looking at this stick on Amazon, and it's pretty sweet looking! However, do you have any recommendations for lower end sticks? It's a bit too expensive for how much I play fighting games.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Looking at this stick on Amazon, and it's pretty sweet looking! However, do you have any recommendations for lower end sticks? It's a bit too expensive for how much I play fighting games.

The WWE Brawl stick is pretty much the cheapest option anyone recommends for a stick. Its $30 on amazon right now and while it won't last as long as the better made sticks it can be a good option if you're still debating on getting a stick or on a really limited budget. plus when the parts do start to go out, you can replace them with sanwas that will last you a long time.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

Ixiggle posted:

The WWE Brawl stick is pretty much the cheapest option anyone recommends for a stick. Its $30 on amazon right now and while it won't last as long as the better made sticks it can be a good option if you're still debating on getting a stick or on a really limited budget. plus when the parts do start to go out, you can replace them with sanwas that will last you a long time.

Seconding this. I have a Hori EX whatever and a SE MadCatz that has been upgrading with Sanwa buttons. It's not like the PCB is going to die or something and the enjoyment you'll get from playing fighting games on an actual stick is way worth the $30. You'll never want to go back.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Pollyanna posted:

Labrys's story :smithicide:

The Kirijo group is a bunch of assholes. :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ixiggle posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! $30 is awesome too, that's less than I was expecting to have to spend.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I wouldn't recommend getting a half-assed stick at all actually. A bad stick is a waste of money and an endless source of frustration. I bought a hori real arcade pro 2:sa 5 years ago and it's still working flawless. Really well spent 10,000yen.

I actually bought a hrap3:sa 2 years ago as well and haven't regretted it once. Every yen well spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009
Got a guy named CaButler frothing mad on XBL tonight, saying I could only win with turbo and macros...? He never explained what he meant. You'd think a rank A Chie player would have a better understanding of game mechanics. Not like I hit him with a single AoA, either.

• Locked thread