Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tamir Lenk posted:

You going to rebuild those carbs? Or dropping the airbox in favor of pods or stacks?

Both.

http://imgur.com/a/W1hu0

The pilot/slow jets are press-in, almost-unfindable, so I drilled and polished them out from the stock 30 to 45, and replaced the stock 90 mains with 122.5s. Also, K&N (and many CB650 forum pages) claim that the RC-2362 "dual quad" pod setup doesn't fit the '79 CB650's mechanical carbs, but it fits just fine. Take that, fitment charts! I got my jetting information from a multitude of places, but I generally followed what this chap did to his, as it is a very similar setup.

The bike still starts up in the cold just fine. And though it sounds a bit rougher at idle, it is in fact much more stable and reliable. Also, my butt dyno says that it pulls better up hills, and plug chops show that it's still running right down the middle. Around town there is a very distinct "sucking" noise from the air filters (like a cold-air intake on a car), but I can live with that.

Now, to hack up the already-disintegrating remainder of the airbox/filter housing. I wouldn't have put pods on the bike if the stock airbox was intact, as running with them is almost always a gigantic pain in the rear end on older motorcycles, but the weight of time spent finding and installing a new airbox vs the time spent fitting pods and rejetting was just about equal, and the pods were cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Both.

http://imgur.com/a/W1hu0

The pilot/slow jets are press-in, almost-unfindable, so I drilled and polished them out from the stock 30 to 45, and replaced the stock 90 mains with 122.5s. Also, K&N (and many CB650 forum pages) claim that the RC-2362 "dual quad" pod setup doesn't fit the '79 CB650's mechanical carbs, but it fits just fine. Take that, fitment charts! I got my jetting information from a multitude of places, but I generally followed what this chap did to his, as it is a very similar setup.

The bike still starts up in the cold just fine. And though it sounds a bit rougher at idle, it is in fact much more stable and reliable. Also, my butt dyno says that it pulls better up hills, and plug chops show that it's still running right down the middle. Around town there is a very distinct "sucking" noise from the air filters (like a cold-air intake on a car), but I can live with that.

Now, to hack up the already-disintegrating remainder of the airbox/filter housing. I wouldn't have put pods on the bike if the stock airbox was intact, as running with them is almost always a gigantic pain in the rear end on older motorcycles, but the weight of time spent finding and installing a new airbox vs the time spent fitting pods and rejetting was just about equal, and the pods were cheaper.

I like my pods. gently caress airboxes.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Winterized it. :sigh: Going to be a long season.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Posted in more detail in the Harley thread, but I got my new exhausts installed over the last couple of days:

Previous owner's LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES setup:

New, POTATOPOTATOPOTATO setup:

Was a fun first biek project for me. Sounds great, looks/performs better, and my neighbor at the end of the street disassembled the machine-gun nest he was building.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The forecast showed snow as imminent, so yesterday I took advantage of the 45-degree day to ride the snot out of each of the 3 bikes and fill 'em up with Stabil. Tomorrow is battery-removal and chain-tending day... sad, sad day. It just snowed like an inch tonight, first snowday of the year. Salt ahoy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Posted in more detail in the Harley thread, but I got my new exhausts installed over the last couple of days:

Good for you. I actually don't know what my bike sounds like from a distance and I kind of want to. My neighbors say it's "quiet" but I make an effort to not make too much noise around home. I've only heard the thing as it actually sounds to other people, being ridden and under load, once -- one of my father's old friends and the most experienced motorcyclist I know, with 45 years of experience, hundreds of thousands of miles and no serious accidents, took it up and down the street just after I got finished rebuilding it. (His verdict: "sweet") Sounded puttery and old-fashioned but I want to hear it again.

The only other Honda 350 I've heard in person was a guy stopped at a light with a CB with open headers. Very blatty and sharp...cool for a lark, but not anything I'd want for any length of time.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Installed EBC HH grade pads in front and rear and wow what a difference. The V-Max mantra of 'all balls and no brakes' is false now. The 06 has upgraded calipers from the earlier models that gave it that reputation, and so it wasn't so bad to begin with. It's fantastic now though, and they're not even bedded yet. I was prepared for a craptastic grab until then but I guess the OEM pads are just that bad?

Brake pads aren't interesting to photograph so here's me measuring the rear shock height in prep for future suspension work.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 1, 2012

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I washed it and was feeling patriotic.

clutchpuck posted:

Where's the rear cyl oil seep? :colbert:

This was after washing it too.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

CB650 PODFILTERS ASSEMBLE!

If I wasn't planning on flipping this bike next summer I would totally be dropping the airbox and jetting it up and loving with all sorts of things.

In related news:

:science:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ReelBigLizard posted:

If I wasn't planning on flipping this bike next summer I would totally be dropping the airbox and jetting it up and loving with all sorts of things.

In related news:

:science:

Weirdfuck coincidence? I just received two of these in the mail today.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
My reddit secret santa sent me this.

He totally gets me.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Geirskogul posted:

Weirdfuck coincidence?

Our bikes appear to have induced some kind of quantum entanglement when they were made at the factory.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ashex posted:

My reddit secret santa sent me this.

He totally gets me.

I noticed they replaced the blue can (multi-use) with this. Anyone know of the differences? The blue can is my favorite and I can only find it at Ace.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I get the blue can at Lowe's.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
550lb Eibach spring down from stock 720-ish lb stock spring.
Time to go ride, geometry is probably all hosed up since this spring is like half an inch shorter than stock.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
How hard is it to change the rear spring?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Dropped off the bike at the dealership for warranty work, got a Bonnie in exchange.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Dropped off the bike at the dealership for warranty work, got a Bonnie in exchange.

You win that round. I was set on the thruxton guess :colbert:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xd posted:

How hard is it to change the rear spring?

Not terrible... put the rear on stands, put jackstands under rearsets, remove rear stand, remove two 8mm allen bolts w/ 14mm nut on them, slip the shock out above the wheel, loosen the collars on the shock all the way off, move the bump stop up and fanagle the loving collar off, then reverse. Took like half an hour.

Just went for a few 'laps' at my local favorite spot. Bike feels a shitload nicer but goddamn is it easy to spin the rear up leaving a corner - not a big deal but kinda funny and I obviously need to set the rear preload properly and figure out how to get the rear back to previous height.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 7, 2012

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
And make sure to not do what I almost did, I had the bike on jackstands to pull my shock out and needed more room, so I started unbolting one of the rearsets before I luckily realised the stupidity of what I was trying to do.

I'm starting to wonder if my 675 is down on power or something, the only time I've had the back wheel spin up was before I got my new tires, and I haven't had the front end lift up on me in 3 years

Was the missing front sprocket cover there thanks to the previous owner?

theperminator fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 7, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I took the sprocket cover off because it's a pain in the balls to put on/take off and I kinda like how it looks without it.

I doubt you're down on power - I'm -2/+1 on the sprockets and it'll spin when I'm really beating on the throttle coming out of corners with really warm - borderline greasy - tires. I've never been a fan of Pilot Powers though... As far as lifting the front I clutch it up in first and second. Front will get light off just power and dance around but never really come up the way it does on an i4 600.

Trackdays. I need trackdays.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 7, 2012

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
True, I've hardly done any real riding in a while anyway. just been commuting on the 675.

Where'd you order the spring? I'm thinking I should change mine too.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You need to order two collars from Racetech - SPSC B5855 and then a spring from https://www.performanceshock.com The length is 7in and the ID is 2.25in. (http://performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_86_88_208)

I weigh 160-165 without gear and ordered a 550lb spring.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Today, I took the 79 CB650 out, and realized that I've ruined it. Or don't know how to tune carbs. Either/or, really.

Rides around town pretty okay, though lost some low-end (<3k RPM) torque due to the pods/upjetting, but still rideable. Accelerates to 65 just fine on the flats, too. When I tried taking it up the 8%, 8-mile long grade out of town, though, it was loving gutless unless I dropped it down into 3rd and spun it up to 7 or 8k RPM, then it pulled nicely. Trying to ascend at 65mph in fourth or fifth gear, around 3.5-5k RPM, though, was impossible. Couldn't keep it above 40MPH.

If it hadn't started to snow a bit, and it wasn't such a dangerous bit of road, I would have done a plug chop. Instead, I just dropped it into 3rd and headed up the hill at 8k. Redline is 14k, so I should be safe, but not very fun.

Also, mileage is poo poo right now, like, 30mpg, so maybe I went a bit too big at 122.5 for the main jet. Oh well, those are cheap.

If I do a chop and find out I'm running lean in the middle, I don't know what I could do except for shim the needles (non-adjustable, normally). If I'm running rich, that's an easy fix.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

It's nice to see I'm not the only one who mashed his plate.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Plodding along with my half-fairing project.

Laid several layers of glass. When I pulled the plug, though, the fiberglass was still a bit flimsy, especially with the long trailing ears. So I added some aluminum spines and will reinforce with more glass.

Here are some pics of the rough glass shape and spines.

Once I bolster the fiberglass with more layers and glass over the rivets on the outside, I can smooth it down and trim closer to the final shape.

Making the mounting bracket will be a bigger headache.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Today I mainly wrapped a bunch of wires that were chafing against the engine/frame in bits of oil line, works great.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gave it a wash, put it up on the pit stand and tucked it in for winter. We've had 40-50cm worth of snow the past week, so no more riding until spring. :(

...unless I get a DRZ or something with winter tires. :getin:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Went to take it for a ride on a beautiful 6ºC day here, turns out my battery is bad - I charged it up and stuck it on the shelf in my apartment a month ago and now it wouldn't even turn my headlight on. Put a voltmeter on it: 3.7v. :doh:

I put the charger on it again to get it to the point where it would start the bike, because I had turned the fuel on and needed to drain the carb again. Wish list for winter work time: kick start kit. Oh well, today would probably have been the day for me to get hit by a bus or something.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Friday I was driving home getting caught in rush hour traffic when my bike started to overheat. Normally I would of chilled out at a coffee shop, but I've been sick lately, and was beginning to feel nauseous so I kept on trucking. I kept moving enough to keep it from really overheating and eventually made it home.

Turns out my radiator fan wasn't turning on, luckily it was only a fuse and there was a spare. We're about to get a "cold front" I feel bad for all you snowed out guys, I've been opening all my vents when riding around so I don't over heat.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

At the Manayunk Triumph dealer in Philly they have the most fantastic matte green scrambler I've seen, arrow 2 into 1 pipe, luggage rail, headlight screen and so so so clean. Urban assault vehicle status for sure. Wish I could've sat on it but it was somebody's bike in there for storage.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Does what I did with my ride count? Worked on 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies on the trials bike riding around the neighborhood. Yay for quiet bikes and cool neighbors.

Balance point for that bike is so far back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Does what I did with my ride count? Worked on 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies on the trials bike riding around the neighborhood. Yay for quiet bikes and cool neighbors.

Balance point for that bike is so far back.

I discovered the D675 holds these long, lazy power wheelies really nicely, but get it up to balance point and it's one twitchy son of a bitch. Set one down hard enough to hear the front end bottom out. Sorry steering head bearings!

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
Gave it the once over and rode it to its winter storage garage spot. Filled it full of gas treated with Sta-Bil covered and parked it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Smokewagon posted:

Gave it the once over and rode it to its winter storage garage spot. Filled it full of gas treated with Sta-Bil covered and parked it.

Did this with the little 250 today and got rained on right at the last minute...damnit. Ruined my cleaning.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I discovered the D675 holds these long, lazy power wheelies really nicely, but get it up to balance point and it's one twitchy son of a bitch. Set one down hard enough to hear the front end bottom out. Sorry steering head bearings!

Hahaha, yeah it does. Balance point is really high too.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I never want to stop riding but I know I'll have to at the first sign of frost :(

My wife said it's okay to keep the bike in the dining room though :D

I might end up putting both of them inside.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Ashex posted:

I never want to stop riding but I know I'll have to at the first sign of frost :(

You should make a custom table mount, which is basically a large piece of wood to place on top of the two bikes. :v:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ashex posted:

Is their space for your wife and the bike though?

A Great Dane sized kennel and a warm rug should be adequate unless it gets really cold. As long as she doesn't shave, she should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ashex posted:

Why?