Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Akuma posted:

Of course he was. Or, rather, he's a smart comedian and made that decision himself. That's the Karl character!

Yeah, what I mean is, it's gone so far there's no suspension of disbelief any more. There used to be the grey area of "Is he that bad or is it a gimmick", but now it just feels really put on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday brunch
Dec 31, 2008
Karls moan, then freestyle dancing in that bollywood segment was amazing. Needs GIF-ing.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

hounslow rob posted:

Karls moan, then freestyle dancing in that bollywood segment was amazing. Needs GIF-ing.

I've not watched it yet, but if no-one's done it by the time I do, I'll get it done for you.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...
Sir Patrick Moore has passed away

2am on the BBC won't be the same without him. Though you wonder if he's rolling his eyes because god asked him how to find the triforce in Zelda 3.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
Awwww Godammit. I knew it would be this year or next but it's still pretty sad even if he was a misogynistic crazy old man.

I'll miss you dude. You made astronomy fun for me when I was little.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think it's safe to say that the phrase "Thanks, GamesMaster" takes on a new meaning today. :unsmith:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
He played the Xylophone :smith:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Always thought he was way older than 89. He seemed like he was in his 80s when he was doing Gamesmaster 20 years ago.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

He really liked space and didn't like women. They couldn't have picked a better embodiment of the perfect gamer.

Onion Vanguard posted:

even if he was a misogynistic crazy old man.
Misogynistic xenophobic crazy old man.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Goodbye, Patrick. Thanks for yelling at a young Simon Amstell. The next go on Mario is for you :unsmith:

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006

FreakyZoid posted:

Never mind though - he's rich and white so we can overlook those flaws!

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I did astronomy at university and a number of us got to meet him. He acted and talked very differently to my non-white classmates.

That's my Patrick Moore story.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For my A-Level physics, I went to an series of lectures in London, and Patrick gave the one that wrapped up the day. I think he had the mic too close to his mouth and then he kept talking too loudly, so it was an hour of tinnitus-causing distortion.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
More Patrick Moore stories please, it's heartwarming to see the impact he made on the people he met.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Alan BStard posted:

More Patrick Moore stories please, it's heartwarming to see the impact he made on the people he met.

I once went to a talk by a brilliant amateur astronomer. He said he'd once met Patrick Moore and he seemed to be a nice enough man, even if he did have political views "slightly to the right of Genghis Kahn."

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

FreakyZoid posted:

He really liked space and didn't like women. They couldn't have picked a better embodiment of the perfect gamer.

Misogynistic xenophobic homophobic crazy old man.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
My mother just confessed to voting for Maloney three times last night. Judas.

Also, RIP Patrick Moore I guess, I'd have liked you more if you weren't a horrible bigot v:shobon:v

notsowelp fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Am I the only one who thinks the guy hosting The Dark Ages looks like the Gangnam Style guy? I'm not attempting to spell his name. Good show anyway, interesting topic.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the guy hosting The Dark Ages looks like the Gangnam Style guy? I'm not attempting to spell his name. Good show anyway, interesting topic.

Poor Waldemar Januszczak. Years of study, months of producing this show, and all we can think to say about it is that he looks a bit like the Gangam Style bloke.

It is a jolly good programme though. I was especially interested in the feminization of Jesus in early Christian imagery (in order to appeal to the pagans who worshipped female goddesses). Bit of a shock to see a mosaic of an unbearded Jesus with pouty lips and good childbearing hips.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
And there I was thinking bishi Jesus was a modern phenomena.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
The health and safety guy in me is annoyed by Peep Shows portrayal of paintball, but I did enjoy the del reference.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I thought Peep Show was a bit lacklustre last episode, but it was great this week. The Jeremy falling in love with Dobby thing is something that it seemed to be suggesting earlier on. Could lead to interesting things soon. Super Hans was brilliant this episode. I hope Jeremy keeps life coaching people into ruining their lives.

And of course, people being hit in the balls will always be funny to me.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
Don't think it's been mentioned so far but Charlie Brooker confirmed 2012 Wipe will be happening on New years day 10pm.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
As soon as I saw Patrick Moore's name pop up on the BBC news feed I just assumed he'd been arrested as a possible nonce.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

McDragon posted:

Well, I thought Peep Show was a bit lacklustre last episode, but it was great this week. The Jeremy falling in love with Dobby thing is something that it seemed to be suggesting earlier on. Could lead to interesting things soon. Super Hans was brilliant this episode. I hope Jeremy keeps life coaching people into ruining their lives.

And of course, people being hit in the balls will always be funny to me.

The life coaching scene was excellent. I did genuinely think Jeremy was actually going to jump on him at one stage.

love 2 text my friends
Jun 30, 2004

Alan BStard posted:

When I was a kid, my neighbour somehow knew Patrick. Apparently my neighbour once said to him 'There's this nerdy kid near me who likes stars and planets and stuff', so I got a postcard from Patrick inviting me (and my family) to his house for tea and crumpets and a look through his telescopes.

In the end, we never went, but I always thought it was an incredibly nice thing to do.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
May have been a bastard Tory, but at least he had an interesting positive hobby and encouraged it.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
That was the best Peep Show in a while. I'd wondered if the show was taking a turn for a slightly mellower character-driven direction, but there was some massively sharp and uncomfortable things going on.

I like how it's looking like Mark's nice little gesture of printing up the life coaching certificate for Jeremy will turn around and bite him in the rear end. I love Mark's inner monologue during the quiz game at the party "next time we do a quiz it'll be on Napoleon, and you might scrape through a few Waterloo questions, but when I pin you down on the Emperor's domestic reforms, I will gently caress you very hard, in the mouth." :laffo:

Super Hans' speech about the Ewoks and golden snitch was also amazing.

h_double fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 10, 2012

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010
I went to some of the recordings in the first series of Gamesmaster, I didn't even know that Patrick Moore was in it until it was on telly.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh man Peep Show. Jeremy is so going to bone Dobby. It's inevitable. They very subtly suggested it might go that way in the first two episodes and after this one it has to happen. I can't wait. No idea what they're doing with Super Hans this series though, making him 'go straight' so to speak. I'd hate to see them ruining my favourite character. That said, he was great in that last episode and I've got a funny feeling they might be setting him up for one hell of a relapse. I was a little worried when I first started watching this series, everything seemed slightly lacking. It was funny, but missing something that had given the previous efforts that spark. Sophie leaving didn't help that, though I guess her character had run its course, and getting rid of her gives a reasonable excuse for ignoring the baby and avoiding cliché sitcom tropes. I'm now cautiously optimistic that things are building up to worthwhile climax, but we shall see.

Also, regardless of everything else, it's kind of depressing how old the cast are looking now. It's getting pretty obvious that they're caked in makeup to make them look younger than they are - Jeremy in particular. In that vein, I don't think they'll ever reach the heights they did with the first couple of series. While it's consistently excellent, it seems to have moved away from the constant soul crushing slog that it used to be, which really made it something fresh. I'll keep watching, of course, but I'm more or less convinced the show has peaked.

(Also, Dobby/Isy Suttie. Never before has a woman confused my genitals so much)

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
I've only just realised the guy who plays Simon is from Horrible Histories

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Szymanski posted:

The health and safety guy in me is annoyed by Peep Shows portrayal of paintball, but I did enjoy the del reference.

Every time paintball is on TV they take massive liberties with the H&S, but that's required to make a show not boring.

"Geoff man, I cannae see!"

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Z-Magic posted:

It seems that everyone in British comedy is from Horrible Histories.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Z-Magic posted:

So was the guy who played Gerard. RIP.

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can
Superhans losing his mind in the bunker and rambling on about the snitch was fantastic.

Also another great last line - The Doors! Now I remember another band!

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I liked how Dead Gerrard came higher up the waiting list than Dobby's ex boyfriend.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I was worried about the new series of Peep Show, but the new episode was fantastic. Jez having sex with Dobby seems inevitable, although I think he might bottle it at the last second out of respect for Mark.

And Super Hans continues to be amazing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Patrick Moore plays the xylophone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_Ckg5ott8

I always thought this one was slightly bittersweet. More so now that it's definitely where he's gone.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

I really liked Super Hans and Mark together, I liked how Hans helped Mark out with the short straw stuff. "First short straw goes, second long straw goes, everyone knows that". This was a good Super Hans episode, even though the paintball stuff annoyed me being so inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Hans saving Mark with the matches was a :3: moment.