Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Reading that faction description I'm pretty sure it's more like 3 different perks you choose from, each family has its unique bonuses but regardless of which one you choose, you play the same Rome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Seeing how they allude to historical personalities as people you have to keep watch over maybe it is for the best to use them for a while and then make them admirals over one ship navies bravely attacking much larger fleets.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I really want to see the cultural equivilent of the Senate house for the "Barbarian" kingdoms, that and I want to see if they will be as "balanced" as they were last time.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Can't wait for the Screaming Germany Crazy Ladies DLC unit pack

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Am I the only person that really loved Napoleon? There's a lot of smack for it in this thread and others. I have put hundreds of hours into that game :shobon:
I thought Napoleon was great! I think the Total War games are at their best when the focus is narrower. The Peninsula War campaign is the best example, but I liked the Egyptian and Italian campaigns too. The Italian one had such a sense of urgency. I felt like I wasn't going to win if I wasn't battling or marching every turn.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Clamps McGraw posted:

Am I the only person that really loved Napoleon? There's a lot of smack for it in this thread and others. I have put hundreds of hours into that game :shobon:

Napoleon is actually my favorite total war. My only disappointment is the lack of a War of 1812 campaign. Of course I like empire as well. The only think that keeps me from playing Empire more is the time investment combined with the fact that it turns my graphics card into a furnace.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I don't think anyone hated on Napoleon here. It's only been Empire which has been getting all the flak.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in

Creative Assembly posted:

SEGA and Creative Assembly Announce Partnership with Games Workshop to Create Warhammer Games

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON – 11AM GMT, December 6, 2012 – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Creative Assembly™, award-winning creator of the Total War™ series, and SEGA® Group have entered into a multi-title licensing deal with Games Workshop® to create videogames based in the Warhammer® universe of fantasy battles.

A new high-calibre development team has been set up at Creative Assembly’s UK studio to work alongside the existing Total War, Alien™ IP and Mobile teams on the first Warhammer title in the deal, scheduled to launch from beyond 2013.

“With this year being our 25th anniversary”, said Tim Heaton, Studio Director at Creative Assembly, “it seems fitting for us to embark on such a dream project with such a well-established partner. The incredibly rich and detailed Warhammer world is something we grew up with, and has left an indelible imprint on us as both designers and gamers.”

“We’ll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before. We’re bringing those 25 years of experience and expertise in extremely high-scoring games to bear, delivering a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love.”

“We have enormous respect for SEGA and Creative Assembly and have felt for a long time that the combination of the enormously rich setting of the Warhammer world, and their stunning development talent is a match with huge potential,” said Jon Gillard, Games Workshop’s Head of Licensing. “Now that we’ve managed to bring these two giants of gaming together it is safe to say that some truly amazing products are going to be unleashed as a result. We are excited at the possibilities, and are enthusiastically working with the team at Creative Assembly already.”

This first Warhammer game joins the eagerly-awaited Total War™: Rome II and the untitled Alien IP as one of five projects currently in production at Creative Assembly, now one of the largest developers in Europe.

For future updates and career opportunities please visit https://www.creative-assembly.com.

http://www.creative-assembly.com/sega-and-creative-assembly-announce-partnership-with-games-workshop-to-create-warhammer-games/

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Oh loving god yes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I am loving psyched. If CA wanted to integrate "hero" units in their combat engine, there is no better universe to do it in than Warhammer (I'm guessing Fantasy) because hero units there are absolute gamechangers. Here's our pike and shot game, boys and girls!

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Man I have got to get a job at CA, that is awesome!

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
That's very interesting, I wonder if they will hire some of those Russian dudes who made the Warhammer mod for Medieval 2.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I wish I knew more about Warhammer fantasy other than the imperial guard are still the best faction.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Man Whore posted:

I wish I knew more about Warhammer fantasy other than the imperial guard are still the best faction.

Well let me grant your wish by saying that the Imperial Guard have nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy because they're part of Warhammer 40K, which is in the future with lasers and aliens and poo poo.

The nearest equivalent they have is the Empire, which is basically 16th-century Holy Roman Empire except much more united because they are constantly fighting demonic Viking barbarians. Also, they have tanks than run on steam.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 7, 2012

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's kind of interesting, because I think any total war game will be mechanically a lot deeper than the tabletop game, straight up, so, this should be cool. I'm not a big fan of the fluff, but if CA makes a good game, they've done something GW never could.

Orv
May 4, 2011
After the terrible... thing that was Mark of Chaos, I thought Fantasy Warhammer strategy games were a no-go ever again, nice to seem I'm wrong. Basically I'm just looking for the Lord of the Rings Medieval 2 mod with Warhammer Fantasy trappings and map. That's all I want.

I won't get it will I? :smith:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This deal has to have been in the making for quite a while, but I guess it just goes to show the lack of confidence in THQ's ability to continue develop GW's IPs in game format.

e: \/\/\/ yeah I know, but given Relic's success THQ would be the natural partners to get Fantasy if they could actually do anything with it

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 6, 2012

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Alchenar posted:

This deal has to have been in the making for quite a while, but I guess it just goes to show the lack of confidence in THQ's ability to continue develop GW's IPs in game format.

I mentioned this in the Steam thread, but it bears repeating: THQ still holds the rights to 40k. EA had the rights for the classic Warhammer setting, and Sega got their hands on it, enabling CA to make at least one Warhammer game in 2014.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Orv posted:

After the terrible... thing that was Mark of Chaos, I thought Fantasy Warhammer strategy games were a no-go ever again, nice to seem I'm wrong. Basically I'm just looking for the Lord of the Rings Medieval 2 mod with Warhammer Fantasy trappings and map. That's all I want.

I won't get it will I? :smith:

There already is and has been such a mod for a number of years, here it is http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1377 .

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lord Tywin posted:

There already is and has been such a mod for a number of years, here it is http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1377 .

...Well, poo poo. Thanks!

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Orv posted:

...Well, poo poo. Thanks!

It's pretty good except it occasionally crashes and opposing factions start off way overpowered. Start as Sylvania (in the heart of Empire territory) and you instantly get jumped by like six full stacks of guys.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Maybe we will finally get a game that lives up to that old trailer, that poo poo had me pumped years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enBMSH5ghc

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Straight up Total Warhammer would be a little too good, but I feel hope.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Davincie posted:

Maybe we will finally get a game that lives up to that old trailer, that poo poo had me pumped years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5enBMSH5ghc

That is maybe the only good thing about that game. And what a good thing it is. :allears: Then again I suppose the WAR cinematic was equally promising.

The legacy of Warhammer Fantasy video games: Great cinematics, poo poo games.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 6, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well now, good times for Warhammer Fantasy fans ahead.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
:aaaaa: That is absolutely amazing! I'm so loving pumped right now!

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I never got into fantasy because of TT being too expensive and the games being mediocre. Looks like that problem is solved now.

Unless it turns out to be Stormrise: Dung Age Edition :v:

Does anybody even remember Stormrise?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Empire pissed me off with how busted it was at release, but I love the time period and am willing to give it a second chance after all this time. Were the patches good enough to make it a fun game and/or are there any mods that balance both battle and campaign modes so that the AI poses an actual threat?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

toasterwarrior posted:

Well let me grant your wish by saying that the Imperial Guard have nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy because they're part of Warhammer 40K, which is in the future with lasers and aliens and poo poo.

The nearest equivalent they have is the Empire, which is basically 16th-century Holy Roman Empire except much more united because they are constantly fighting demonic Viking barbarians. Also, they have tanks than run on steam.

Empire,imperial guard,whatever.
They both have empire in their name. :colbert:

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

toasterwarrior posted:

Empire pissed me off with how busted it was at release, but I love the time period and am willing to give it a second chance after all this time. Were the patches good enough to make it a fun game and/or are there any mods that balance both battle and campaign modes so that the AI poses an actual threat?

Darthmod combined with very hard campaign, normal mode battles were a real challenge.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

:stare:

I can't believe they're actually doing it, the best strategy games combined with the best setting, it's too good to be true.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So I've been playing Empire for a week or so now and I've got two concerns with it. One, the AI is incredibly unreasonable and it seems the entire world is at war with itself because no AI will accept a peace treaty except on their (very ridiculous) terms.

And two, there are no cheats to use to force AIs to peace out of a 20-year war neither of us have been fighting. This really sucks.

EDIT:I just took Moldavia, Bulgaria, and Constantinople all from the Ottomans, and even in a peace treaty where I offer the latter two back they still won't take it. Is it really only based on how bad they are military-wise?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 9, 2012

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Go crush a few of there armies and then they'll accept your peace offerings.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mod news wise, the Foreign Invasion mod for Fall Of The Samurai is slowly moving towards completion so if you want to go all alternate history western imperialist you can pick from British, French, American, Russian and Prussian flavours.

considerably
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Mod news wise, the Foreign Invasion mod for Fall Of The Samurai is slowly moving towards completion so if you want to go all alternate history western imperialist you can pick from British, French, American, Russian and Prussian flavours.

:hawaaaafap:

I'm late to the bandwagon, but I'm really enjoying FotS. It's nice since you get to do the Napoleon style gun battles but also has the added dynamic of melee combat. Plus the mechanics of the campaign map feel really solid. Shogun 2 alone was good, but the small changes they made for this version feel great.

Also getting the foreign infantry is pretty awesome. I had a trio of them with >100 accuracy and with Kneel Fire they were getting like 700 kills per battle against doomstacks.

Anyway, quick question. Once I'm development level 4 or whatever, do I have to worry about modernization anymore? It doesn't seem to have any effect (other than happiness in some cases, but that's listed separately), but I'm not sure.

considerably fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 10, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not really, but why stop? (well, unless your territories are in open revolt) because the high end economic tech really rakes in the money.

Apparently after the first release of that mentioned Foreign Invasion mod the CSA is even getting representation to fight Federal troops on Japanese soil.

Irritating, a lot of Fall mini mods are still not on STEAM community yet.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

considerably posted:

Anyway, quick question. Once I'm development level 4 or whatever, do I have to worry about modernization anymore? It doesn't seem to have any effect (other than happiness in some cases, but that's listed separately), but I'm not sure.

I know at least that if you destroy all the buildings for it once you hit 4 you'll drop in development levels, so you need to stay in 4 until you research everything in the game at least. I don't remember any other benefit though, although I haven't played a great deal of FoTS.

Also I just started playing the Otomo faction pack and it's really interesting going gunpowder units for a change, since I skipped over them in all of my Vanilla games; I always thought they were incredibly weak... and now I find out there's a rank fire ability. Was that always there? It makes even the most basic matchlock unit completely devastating; I've been winning all of my battles pretty handily, and unlike the usual early game advantage you get for training proper units while the AI just spams ashigaru, the matchlocks annihilate samurai too. It's incredibly satisfying.

considerably
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not really, but why stop? (well, unless your territories are in open revolt) because the high end economic tech really rakes in the money.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, my concern was about building things like dojos, mostly. I like to have ninjas and guns. :colbert:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

If this is going to be Creative Assembly's way of handling the pike and shot era, I find that I am really pretty much OK with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Apparently after the first release of that mentioned Foreign Invasion mod the CSA is even getting representation to fight Federal troops on Japanese soil.

Irritating, a lot of Fall mini mods are still not on STEAM community yet.

I'm still surprised they didn't decide to go with an American Civil War game next. It is pretty much just an extensive reskin of FOTS, anyway, and it would probably sell really well, considering the popularity of ACW mods.