Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

^^^ I dunno man, you have to give her time to grieve. Wanting her to get another dog like one month after her old dog died is pretty insensitive. :shobon:

Dear Idiot,

Your dog is gorgeous. I have not seen a belgian shepherd before, and I enjoyed seeing it. What I did not enjoy was the fact that your dog was off lead, and bolted across a busy road to try and pounce aggressively at my dog. I had to step in front of my dog and stamp at yours to make it go away. And then when it went back to you, you did not grab it, and it came running back again.

And just FYI, when I holler at you to 'please get your dog under control!', the correct response is not to say 'I'm trying :saddowns:' whilst feebly calling your dog's name. If your dog runs at me again I will kick it - and that's if a car doesn't hit it first because it was running in the road.

No love,
Fraction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Went with a friend to pick up her new kitten today, this is cactus:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Explosions! posted:

Have this picture of Marlowe getting in the Christmas spirit for your help:

Marlowe hates Christmas and hats.

HA, so Explosions! did indeed bring Marlowe by for a picture with Santa today. :3: I would post it but it's not on my SD card. :saddowns: I also learned Marlowe goes bonkers for those cat toys with the mouse that spins around the track like the ball track toys.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 9, 2012

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
(Cross posted from the training thread) Behaviour nerds; I'd be interested to see what you think of Mouse's separation anxiety. I left a webcam up when I went out today, the video is here. She cries/howls for a couple of minutes, (starting 2:16), then is kind of agitated (standing, staring at the door, whining off and on) for another three or four minutes. Right at the end (after 10 mins) she curls up, and she actually stayed that way until I came home.

I don't think it's a huge problem, and she's improved a looot since we first moved in, but she's still clingier than I'd prefer. I have 'Don't Leave Me!' and one of the other SA books - here are the things I'm trying:

- Praising her for going in the crate when I leave, scattering kibble or leaving her with a bone to distract her while I'm gone.

- Desensitising her to things like me turning the key in the latch (she usually starts crying if she hears it, and will continue crying even if I'm just taking the rubbish out)

- Ignoring her if she cries in the crate while I'm getting ready to go out

- Being very low key about greeting her when I come home

- Leaving her alone quite frequently, building up the time she has to wait (we're at the stage now where, once she settles, she's good for 3-4 hours - which is awesome!)

- Leaving the TV/radio on for her, and covering the crate with a blanket on three sides.

So, I guess I'm curious how bad of an issue it looks to outsiders? Like I say, she's made huge improvements - at the beginning she'd be howling, digging, biting the bars to try to get out. Any other tips to get her to chill out even more?

e: derp i left out the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C-W84qLw50

notsowelp fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 9, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I don't think that's separation anxiety; that term usually implies that the dog is completely unable to settle once you're gone, and she really just whined for a few moments and then laid down. My dog does the same thing and my last trainer told me that was not considered separation anxiety, but that I should focus on making him feel more confident when I leave, using basically the same techniques you've laid out.

That being said, though, reducing the stress she feels when you leave is a good thing and I think all the tactics you're implementing will have that effect. What a good little Mouseling to just curl up in bed and wait for you. :3:

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Oh, that's interesting. I mean she definitely used to have a huge problem - scratching and biting doors nonstop and howling her head off. But she's chilled out a huge amount, and yeah I guess we're at a stage where it isn't really a problem anymore :3:.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

You could maybe leave some music on for her or something*, but I agree, I think she settles nicely and doesn't get too upset, so it looks like she's come along massively.

*Especially if you've pretty much always got some background noise on when you're around. Lola is way more chilled when I leave music on, now, than she was when I didn't.

Mouse done good!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

I'm almost done with the GSD breed post and if anyone's feeling up to it, I'd appreciate some input before I post it. There will be a bunch of pictures included when I post it, I just haven't bothered to put them in yet. I'm pretty sure it's way too long though :sigh:

:neckbeard: I love it!! If you're worried about the length, you can break it into a post about GSD character, and one about the history. You should read all the novels we wrote in the prim breeds thread, you won't be worried anymore. :rolleyes:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

:downs: Puppies are so flaily.

I think my words with Kya's owner struck home. Yesterday owner's bf took her on a long walk, and both times today when I headed round to take her with me she was already out on a walk. The second time, I caught them as they headed back to their house and she came out with me and my girls too. Maybe my nerdrage was enough to make them actually decide to dedicate themselves to making this work. Who knows?

Plus, Lola walked near a child for like an hour and only barked once. Good dog :3:

If she's the same size as my ~2 stone dog when she's about 14 weeks, does anyone have an estimate of how big she'll be/how much she'll weigh as an adult? I'll try and remember to weigh her tomorrow i guess

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 9, 2012

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Went with a friend to pick up her new kitten today, this is cactus:

Ahhh Cactus the impossibly tiny kitten! I forget how small my cats once were and then I see an itty bitty picture like that..

One of Hugo's litter mates died this weekend :( apparently a fatal reaction to anti nausea meds injected by the vet to treat a bit of vomiting. It's kind of scary how quickly and unexpectedly these things can happen.. Hugo got fussed at a LOT last night.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I just returned from a short trip and finally caught up on here,

Razor, I'm so sorry to hear that about Husker. :( I also remember your journey in adopting him. Give him some extra face rubs for me, yeah?

In slightly less serious news, I found out that the family I nanny for got a puppy at Canton Trade Days. Guess who gets to take care of a schnauzer puppy during the week in conjunction with their bored, fat loud schnauzer and doing homework, entertaining and making dinner for their kids! :suicide:

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

paisleyfox posted:

Razor, I'm so sorry to hear that about Husker. :( I also remember your journey in adopting him. Give him some extra face rubs for me, yeah?

In slightly less serious news, I found out that the family I nanny for got a puppy at Canton Trade Days. Guess who gets to take care of a schnauzer puppy during the week in conjunction with their bored, fat loud schnauzer and doing homework, entertaining and making dinner for their kids! :suicide:

Life would be better if not for all the Schnauzers.

RB, I'm very sorry about Husker. He's one of my favourite PI dogs. You've done very well by him, and I'm sure he's very grateful.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Ahhh Cactus the impossibly tiny kitten! I forget how small my cats once were and then I see an itty bitty picture like that..

One of Hugo's litter mates died this weekend :( apparently a fatal reaction to anti nausea meds injected by the vet to treat a bit of vomiting. It's kind of scary how quickly and unexpectedly these things can happen.. Hugo got fussed at a LOT last night.

Aww, that sucks :( At least Hugo is alive and well and at the very least you know to hopefully never have them use that on Hugo, although I guess maybe the reaction wasn't genetic in nature? I really don't know about those things.

In any case I miss the Hugo and Decoy thread I honestly do, you should post some pictures of your lovely cats! Here, in small hope of some level of reciprocation I shall post a picture of my own catte, the Lovely Ms. Jackie in a rare moment of, uh... not being shy about her enormous front paws. Please excuse the lovely outdated iphone pic I am frightfully sorry about the quality:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

paisleyfox posted:

Ahaha, that sucks. The ONLY dogs that ever bit me at the daycare/boarding place I worked at were schnauzers. Good luck. :v:

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Fraction posted:

If she's the same size as my ~2 stone dog when she's about 14 weeks, does anyone have an estimate of how big she'll be/how much she'll weigh as an adult? I'll try and remember to weigh her tomorrow i guess

She seeeeriously looks like a boxer mix to me, but I'm no expert. Does she have big feet?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Someone on craigslist is selling ACD/boston terrier mixes. I almost want to act interested to get pictures. All I can imagine is freckly little trolls trying to bite people but having faces too short to do anything.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Someone on craigslist is selling ACD/boston terrier mixes. I almost want to act interested to get pictures. All I can imagine is freckly little trolls trying to bite people but having faces too short to do anything.

On one hand I wanna see those dogs. On the other, why would you breed those two together? :negative:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Please do. I want to see freckle short nose land sharks.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Does this dog look like he needs to gain 30 lbs.? Someone posted him on the local GSD rescue forum on FB and I politely commented asking why he needed to gain weight because he looks fine. She said he was neglected and his foster's vet said he could stand gain another 30 lbs, then got all snippy with me about she's had GSDs all her life and she knows what a healthy one looks like ok!!!! She says you can supposedly see his ribs and spine, but maybe that's just a lovely picture...?

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 10, 2012

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Skizzles posted:

Does this dog look like he needs to gain 30 lbs.? Someone posted him on the local GSD rescue forum on FB and I politely commented asking why he needed to gain weight because he looks fine. She said he was neglected and his foster's vet said he could stand gain another 30 lbs, then got all snippy with me about she's had GSDs all her life and she knows what a healthy one looks like ok!!!! She says you can supposedly see his ribs and spine, but maybe that's just a lovely picture...?

What, 30 lbs is a hell of a lot of weight. I think he looks great, his coat is pretty thick and maybe deceiving but better a slightly underweight GSD, especially a rescue dog with no knowledge of his ancestor's hips.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I have need of a not so small collection of cat beds. What do you think is the cheapest way to go about this? Anyone make their own? Find them at the dollar store?

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

El Gar posted:

I have need of a not so small collection of cat beds. What do you think is the cheapest way to go about this? Anyone make their own? Find them at the dollar store?

Please tell me you aren't getting another ugly cat.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

notsowelp posted:

Please tell me you aren't getting another ugly cat.

No I am serious now. I could need upwards of a dozen and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
The Snuggles Project takes donated handmade blankets and beds for shelter animals. There's a link at the top for some free patterns.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

notsowelp posted:

She seeeeriously looks like a boxer mix to me, but I'm no expert. Does she have big feet?

Pretty massive, they're probs twice the size of Jess's. she could be a boxer, but owner's bf is very insistent she's not. Maybe her ma was a whore :haw:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

El Gar posted:

No I am serious now. I could need upwards of a dozen and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Craigslist? You'd probably have to hose them down with flea stuff though.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

kaworu posted:

In any case I miss the Hugo and Decoy thread I honestly do, you should post some pictures of your lovely cats! Here, in small hope of some level of reciprocation I shall post a picture of my own catte, the Lovely Ms. Jackie in a rare moment of, uh... not being shy about her enormous front paws.

Who am I to deny a Hugo fan? Similar apologies about photo quality, one day I'll get a real one but that day is not today. Since it's summer and they spend most of the weekend romping around the garden I might be able to take some nicer shots later.

Hugo says MY TOES ARE MADE OF BEANS.

Decoy's in disgrace after catching a massive brown bird and dragging it inside while it was still alive and shrieking. Ugh. Bastard has learned to stalk without jingling his collar.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Skizzles posted:

He looks too skinny, yes. But 10lb would be the max I'd put on him in all likelihood.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Tamarillo posted:

Who am I to deny a Hugo fan? Similar apologies about photo quality, one day I'll get a real one but that day is not today. Since it's summer and they spend most of the weekend romping around the garden I might be able to take some nicer shots later.

Hugo says MY TOES ARE MADE OF BEANS.

Decoy's in disgrace after catching a massive brown bird and dragging it inside while it was still alive and shrieking. Ugh. Bastard has learned to stalk without jingling his collar.

Yay it's Hugo! And he's just as cute as ever! For some reason Hugo really is one of my favorite PI cats (at the very least my favorite Antipodean cat) and I would steal him away in a second if I could, seriously :3: Does he spring a trap when you try and pet and/or nuzzle that lovely soft-looking belly-fur? And it looks like his paw-pads are a combination of black and pink (best combination ever) is that correct? Anyway yeah he's a cutiepie. I hope he and Decoy are still best friends and make cat-piles. Although I imagine that Decoy is forever the dominant force in the relationship based on my memories of the previous thread.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Okay, at least this puppy is pretty cute. But I literally laughed in the family's face when they showed me how their dog and the puppy "play rough." No growls, no screams, no thrashing. They roll on each other and pant. :crossarms:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

So apparently Kya's owner 'belted her' earlier because the puppy peed in the house again. Because she is a puppy.

I think I'm going to have an aneurysm soon. They keep going from 'normal but crappy dog owners' to... this. Her owner is saying if she pees again in the house, she's gone.

Also, for all of you who I know are very interested in this, Kya weighed in at about 2st7lbs, give or take a pound. Fatty.

I'd like to thank you notsoape for showing the vid of Mouse yesterday. I left my laptop on and recorded Lola today, and after two minutes (basically as soon as I'd actually shut the door behind me) she just laid down and snoozed for the ~five hours until I was back. She used to scream and poo poo and get covered in her poo poo. Yay for progress!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

El Gar posted:

I've made a couple of these, and the cats love them. I use $2 thrift store sweaters. Not too difficult to make, though a dozen of them might be a bit much.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cat-Bed-from-an-Old-Sweater

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Fraction posted:

I'd like to thank you notsoape for showing the vid of Mouse yesterday. I left my laptop on and recorded Lola today, and after two minutes (basically as soon as I'd actually shut the door behind me) she just laid down and snoozed for the ~five hours until I was back. She used to scream and poo poo and get covered in her poo poo. Yay for progress!

:3: Now everyone in PI should record their dawgs when they leave the house so we can learn who is the chillest dawg.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

notsowelp posted:

:3: Now everyone in PI should record their dawgs when they leave the house so we can learn who is the chillest dawg.

I'm pretty sure I would win this one hands down. Husker goes and flops down in his bed before I'm even done locking the door on my way out :smug:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I don't think Spice moves unless there are humans in the house. He has never made a noise about anyone leaving, just politely wags goodbye and looks sad that he can't go too :saddowns:

I'm not convinced my dog isn't a large animated stuffed toy rather than a collie.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Dr. Chaco posted:

I've made a couple of these, and the cats love them. I use $2 thrift store sweaters. Not too difficult to make, though a dozen of them might be a bit much.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Cat-Bed-from-an-Old-Sweater

My wife found this one on her own research and I think it's what we're gonna do. We can get sweaters pretty cheap around here at thrift stores.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major practically pushes me out the door. If I have gotten ready to go but I'm just sitting around he'll just sit and stare until I get his kong and put him away. I've stopped asking my mom to stop by and let him out while I'm gone because he just looks up from my bed, wags his nub, then goes back to sleep.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

notsowelp posted:

I really want to do this and need to figure out how. When I'm home all day Bailey gets up to eat, goes for a walk, sleeps for the next however many hours (usually moving from comfy space to comfy space), and then begins to demand food after his nap (at like ~4pm)then goes for a walk and goes back to laying around the house unless I make him do tricks. I imagine he does much the same unless he finds something to destroy while I am away.

He loves his treat dispensing toys and is SO GLAD to see me fill them.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I've recorded my dogs because the heelers are little shits who get into everything vaguely food-related while I'm gone and I got tired of hearing people say it is separation anxiety. I got the idea from watching an episode of "It's Me or the Dog" where a lady had like 3-4 Weims and insisted that they had separation anxiety and Victoria was like, "No, let's watch."

Yep, I was right. No separation anxiety, they're just little shits who figured out they could open cabinets and decide to have fun. When there's nothing to get into they just lay down and go to sleep.

George on the other hand is very good. When he's alone he doesn't even try anything, just zonks out on the couch where he can look out the window. He doesn't even bark at anyone going by unless they actually approach the door.

Fraction posted:

^^^ I dunno man, you have to give her time to grieve. Wanting her to get another dog like one month after her old dog died is pretty insensitive. :shobon:

Yeah, I agree. If Biscuit needs a buddy, adopt another dog yourself. People grieve differently, some rush right out and get another critter, others want to take time. I know people who have taken as much as a year between the death of one pet and adopting another.

Random question that Fraction's post also made me think of: Are Belgian Shepherds the same as Malinois? I have a Belgian friend who insists they are but I thought they were different. Googling seems inconclusive, most pages seem to list a bunch of similar breeds, some of which I know are multiple names for the same breed, others I'm not sure.

You must do this. For science, yeah, that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

notsowelp posted:

I'm a crazy cat lady who also has dogs. I have a couple of cats with eating issues so I have a motion activated camera at all times on my cats food bowls. But here is our dog being caught on video being bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k9Uo8h1_fg

• Locked thread