Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mindphlux posted:

wait what?

what do you mean - what ingredients would I even need to cure one ham? if you mean pink salt, I already have it on hand - I make my own bacon and sausages and stuff pretty frequently.

honestly am just worried about getting a juicy, tender, cracklin'y "honey glazed" result more than anything...

You need enough dry cure mixture to completely cover the ham, usually in a ratio of 4-1 salt to sugar, plus saltpeter. So like in a barrel one might do 4 hams, the hocks, and a couple of sides of bacon, being sure that the cure is in between everything and that none of the meat is touching. Then you cure for about a day and a half per pound of the biggest piece of meat, rinse, scrub, rinse, and smoke. After smoking you dry age for a month or so.

So anyway to do a ham like that takes a lot of salt to begin with, and if you're doing that much you might as well economize and do some other things too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I saw this and got so sad. I also think their cooking has gotten even worse over time (it was never good to begin with). They're just even lazier than normal :(

A bucket of lovely tools can be yours for the low low price of all your dignity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Getting cookware gifts from friends is kind of a downer when you already have the thing they got you most of the time

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 9, 2012

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

All I know about Epic Meal Time is that they have a shitload of stuff at Hot Topic and that Hot Topic is where kids who can't drive yet go to spend their parents' love money while thinking they're being rebellious for buying overpriced T-shirts. So my guess is that they're making money hand over fist from their store.

But sadly the cheapest place if you want to have a nerdy (movie, superhero, tv show) t-shirt cut for a lady.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I want to violence this man.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Right there with you. I hate EMT so much.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

For Winnipeg Goons, Livingsocial has an Arkadash coupon right now for $40 for $80 to spend on food. You can also use the coupon on a Wednesday when they do the fixed price menu FOR TWO for half price. :aaaaa: I'm too poor to afford it right now but I have my fingers crossed I get it for Christmas!

e: I went there once on a Wednesday for the fixed price menu and the theme was chestnuts. It was ridiculously good, apart from the serving of soup being disproportionately huge compared to the rest of the menu (Not including the gargantuan slice of cheesecake they served for dessert) and I ended up filling up on it and being unable to finish my entree or dessert, despite reeeally wanting to eat dat cheesecake. Shoulda got the salad. :smith: But I guess it's not the worst problem to have, I got to snack on delicious chestnut goat korma after we got home.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 10, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
EMT is good fun. I drink whiskey and wrap things in bacon all the time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Wahad posted:

Right there with you. I hate EMT so much.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
EMT started out as good fun, but they ran out of ideas for dishes and now they're telling the same half dozen jokes over and over again.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Clavietika posted:

For Winnipeg Goons, Livingsocial has an Arkadash coupon right now for $40 for $80 to spend on food. You can also use the coupon on a Wednesday when they do the fixed price menu for half price. :aaaaa: I'm too poor to afford it right now but I have my fingers crossed I get it for Christmas!

e: I went there once on a Wednesday for the fixed price menu and the theme was chestnuts. It was ridiculously good, apart from the serving of soup being disproportionately huge compared to the rest of the menu (Not including the gargantuan slice of cheesecake they served for dessert) and I ended up filling up on it and being unable to finish my entree or dessert, despite reeeally wanting to eat dat cheesecake. Shoulda got the salad. :smith: But I guess it's not the worst problem to have, I got to snack on delicious chestnut goat korma after we got home.

Seriously? Ugh... shouldn't spend that cash either but yum.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Epic Meal Time rivals Man vs Food as the most disgusting display of Western decadence and gluttony I have ever had the misfortune to witness. Both are abhorrent and anyone who likes them should be publicly shamed.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
EMT is jokes, Man vs Food is real places with stupid MEGAHUGE menu items. EMT isn't as funny as it used to be, but it nowhere near Man vs Food in the glorification of gluttony.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
No reply so far

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's a second place ribbon if I ever saw one

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Will the real winner please stand up

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Scientastic posted:

Epic Meal Time rivals Man vs Food as the most disgusting display of Western decadence and gluttony I have ever had the misfortune to witness. Both are abhorrent and anyone who likes them should be publicly shamed.

Personally I still have a certain fondness for Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time though.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Scientastic posted:

As a foreigner I find Man vs Food endlessly fascinating. There's absolutely nowhere in my city that serves that kind of food and the idea of going to a diner and being served giant piles of food is crazy to me.

After binging through most of the series I also noticed a bizarre thing in almost every restaurant where they would talk about the long and involved process of cooking; selecting the best meat, barbecuing it for days, carefully applying spices and flavour. And then at the end they cover everything in melted cheese and gravy :pwn: Do Americans hate flavour? Or do they just need everything to be soft and mushy so they can shovel it into their gaping maws with a minimum of effort?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

cyberia posted:

Do Americans hate flavour?
Speaking as a midwesterner, yes. The vast majority of people around here think that herbs and spices are objects used to ward away demons, not food enhancers.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Unless it's salt.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

cyberia posted:

As a foreigner I find Man vs Food endlessly fascinating. There's absolutely nowhere in my city that serves that kind of food and the idea of going to a diner and being served giant piles of food is crazy to me.

After binging through most of the series I also noticed a bizarre thing in almost every restaurant where they would talk about the long and involved process of cooking; selecting the best meat, barbecuing it for days, carefully applying spices and flavour. And then at the end they cover everything in melted cheese and gravy :pwn: Do Americans hate flavour? Or do they just need everything to be soft and mushy so they can shovel it into their gaping maws with a minimum of effort?

Also most of the featured items on the shows are the "extreme" dishes. Most (probably all) of the restaurants have normal menus with at least decent normal food. (Still probably huge portions though)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

cyberia posted:

Do Americans hate flavour?

Just select midwesterners and a few stragglers from other regions. Grouping us all together is like saying using soy sauce makes it "asian".

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

quote:

Do Americans hate flavour? Or do they just need everything to be soft and mushy so they can shovel it into their gaping maws with a minimum of effort?

Only the people that regularly watch trash TV.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just select midwesterners and a few stragglers from other regions. Grouping us all together is like saying using soy sauce makes it "asian".

This. Plenty of good, quality food all across the USA. The real thing about american food I get annoyed with is the chain restaurants (specifically crappy chain diners).

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

GrAviTy84 posted:

like saying using soy sauce makes it "asian".

You mean it doesn't? :ohdear:

But no, I know the show is only showing a certain slice of the socio-economic pie and not everyone eats deep fried or barbecued meat covered in glop for every meal. I've also been watching No Reservations and the episodes set in the US show some pretty awesome restaurants. Also, Anthony Bourdain :allears:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I also seriously doubt that any of these places are actually using the creme de la creme of ingredients, makes no sense to use high-end, easily spoiled food for rarely-ordered offerings.

Had our office potluck today, I was a lazy bastard and split the cost of a nice apple pie with a coworker. This prompted half the office to bitch at me about not cooking because they, "heard I loved cooking!!!" This is why keeping your hobbies to yourself is the best idea.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Halalelujah posted:

I also seriously doubt that any of these places are actually using the creme de la creme of ingredients, makes no sense to use high-end, easily spoiled food for rarely-ordered offerings.

Had our office potluck today, I was a lazy bastard and split the cost of a nice apple pie with a coworker. This prompted half the office to bitch at me about not cooking because they, "heard I loved cooking!!!" This is why keeping your hobbies to yourself is the best idea.

Eh, if you'd gone all out and made something ridiculous they just would have chastised you for that, too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Halalelujah posted:

This is why I regret having people know I own a DSLR. Everyone and their sister wants engagement/wedding/prom/senior/baby photos for free or close to free. :negative:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tell them that you get paid for photography sessions.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Tell them you only do boudoir photography and post mortum work.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Second thanksgiving today, my brother in law was in afghanistan for first thanksgiving so I bought him a discount turkey and am making doh's squash pie and I don't know, potatoes.

Nobody should not have Thanksgiving

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

This is why I regret having people know I own a DSLR. Everyone and their sister wants engagement/wedding/prom/senior/baby photos for free or close to free. :negative:

There's a pretty easy way to fix this, it would just take one evening of effort!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Gourd of Taste posted:

Second thanksgiving today, my brother in law was in afghanistan for first thanksgiving so I bought him a discount turkey and am making doh's squash pie and I don't know, potatoes.

Nobody should not have Thanksgiving

A good thing is done here.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

GrAviTy84 posted:

As a midwesterner I'd like to say that grouping us all together is like saying exactly what you said :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

scuz posted:

As a midwesterner I'd like to say that grouping us all together is like saying exactly what you said :colbert:

"Select midwesterners" not "all midwesterners"

That said, middle American beige foods are one of the best hangover remedies.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
spatch every cock, don't ever stop spatching cocks

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

GrAviTy84 posted:

"Select midwesterners" not "all midwesterners"

That said, middle American beige foods are one of the best hangover remedies.
Yeah I know I was just upset this morning cuz dumb work baloney; I didn't mean to take it out on GWC folk :glomp:

That said, there are plenty of us who think Taco John's is "really spicy stuff" and won't go near it.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Goddamn hippie kids and hippie wife!

Dinner conversation about twin formation in the womb quickly went to 'where do kids come from' and to check my wife asked if the kids knew how the sperm got introduced to the egg..

The answer was, literarily 'Yes, that happens when you insert the penis in the pussy by loving...'

Discussion quickly degenerated to 'if you call it a pussy, you need to call it a cock, and then it is entirely appropriate to say loving - however if you elect to call it a penis, you need to call it a vagina, and you do that by having intercourse'..

We then discussed the male need to give nicknames to their members, and they asked me to tell what I called mine!

I live in the goddamn 70's!

I have no idea what the long term effect of this is!

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Get used to wild and untamed bush. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Happy Hat posted:

Goddamn hippie kids and hippie wife!

Dinner conversation about twin formation in the womb quickly went to 'where do kids come from' and to check my wife asked if the kids knew how the sperm got introduced to the egg..

The answer was, literarily 'Yes, that happens when you insert the penis in the pussy by loving...'

Discussion quickly degenerated to 'if you call it a pussy, you need to call it a cock, and then it is entirely appropriate to say loving - however if you elect to call it a penis, you need to call it a vagina, and you do that by having intercourse'..

We then discussed the male need to give nicknames to their members, and they asked me to tell what I called mine!

:allears: