Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Roflex posted:

I just got 4 from Newark, originally ordered on a Sunday (the 18th) when they said 16 were available, but the next day it said back ordered and none would be available until December 10. They ended up shipping this past Monday and just got here a few minutes ago.

Yeah I got one from Newark last week, they claimed they were on back order until the 23rd originally. They also called me at least 3 times about it, asking me what I was using it for, giving ETAs, etc, sent me a catalog and about a hundred e-mails with newsletter poo poo and such. I can't say I'm their biggest fan, but they are the only ones that ship it to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
Anoyone here from the U.S. order from AlliedElec? I ordered a month ago and it stills says they're one back-order. Hoping I chose wisely with the outlet I ordered from.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I ordered mine from there back in June and got it in early October.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone tried running an OpenVPN server on a Pi?

I'm going to be moving abroad soon, and I was thinking of maybe setting up the Pi as a VPN server at my parents house, so I could connect in and watch BBC iPlayer, use Spotify etc. I would be the only user, and it would only be handling the sort of bandwidth that one would expect from a modest broadband connection. Would the 256mb Pi be capable of this, or would the 512mb be preferable?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

moron posted:

Has anyone tried running an OpenVPN server on a Pi?

I'm going to be moving abroad soon, and I was thinking of maybe setting up the Pi as a VPN server at my parents house, so I could connect in and watch BBC iPlayer, use Spotify etc. I would be the only user, and it would only be handling the sort of bandwidth that one would expect from a modest broadband connection. Would the 256mb Pi be capable of this, or would the 512mb be preferable?

Not tried it, but ram wont be an issue if that's all you're using it for. CPU shouldn't either, as the max bandwidth usable will be 50mb (half of 100mb, in then out). You'd need a fancy FTTC/FTTP connection to saturate that.

So in short, either should be fine.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
Any idea what place would ship fastest in the US? I'm thinking newark or mcm. I don't really like how newark doesn't tell you shipping costs though.

lone77wulf
Jan 11, 2005

UC Special Task Force Unit Operative

Shadaez posted:

shipping costs

I got mine from Newark. From the ship notification to my door was 2 days, and it shipped 14 days before the predicted restock.

I just pulled up my invoice, and my total was $$44.19, $35 Pi, $2.70 Ohio Tax, and $6.49 shipping. It came UPS, so it was trackable too.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

lone77wulf posted:

I just pulled up my invoice, and my total was $$44.19, $35 Pi, $2.70 Ohio Tax, and $6.49 shipping. It came UPS, so it was trackable too.

Thank you, I was Googling everywhere a few days ago to see what people were being charged for it. I think Newark's probably the place to go, then.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Talaii posted:

Hostapd is what you want. It's a software base station for linux - it will let you set your RPi up as an access point, and then connect your devices through it. It does, however, require using a wireless card with drivers that support being put into AP/Master mode - look up your particular driver to see whether it supports it. I was running this at home with an atheros card when my router was being replaced.

Once you've got hostapd set up it'll show up as a wireless access point you can connect to. You'll then need to set up a DHCP server to hand out IP addresses to the connecting computers/phones. I've used dnsmasq in the past - it's easy to get set up. Then you should be able to join the network, get handed an IP address and start streaming.

I've been tinkering off and on with this very idea with my RPi and haven't had a lot of success as yet. If anybody knows of a card that works with hostapd and that can be powered by the RPi 1.0's unmodified USB ports, please let me know. I've tried the Edimax EW-7811Un (does't function with hostapd), and the Ralink RT5370 (ports can't power it sufficiently).

Alternatively, if you know for a fact that the Ralink will work fine if I bridge the USB polyfuses, I could be convinced to break out the soldering iron.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Am I incorrect in my assumption that you can take an untouched Raspberry Pi load Openelec onto the SD card and it should boot into OpenElec? Am I forced to install the Debian build first then OpenElec? I apparently am getting an error code (green light appears to be blinking 3 times ) indicating that loader.bin is missing but according to the same page the latest firmware doesn't require loader.bin any longer.

Edit: Actually using the wheezy debian build on Raspberry Pi's webpage seems to yield the same results. Interesting :(

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 4, 2012

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

YouTuber posted:

Am I incorrect in my assumption that you can take an untouched Raspberry Pi load Openelec onto the SD card and it should boot into OpenElec? Am I forced to install the Debian build first then OpenElec? I apparently am getting an error code (green light appears to be blinking 3 times ) indicating that loader.bin is missing but according to the same page the latest firmware doesn't require loader.bin any longer.

Edit: Actually using the wheezy debian build on Raspberry Pi's webpage seems to yield the same results. Interesting :(

Silly question, but are you imaging the card with the iso using win32diskimager, not just extracting the iso and copying it across to the SD card?

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
Finally ordered mine, $46.42 after tax and shipping. They also gave me 2 day air which is nice. Would definitely recommend picking them over others if you're in the US. Any recommendations on a nice, cheap case?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Shadaez posted:

Finally ordered mine, $46.42 after tax and shipping. They also gave me 2 day air which is nice. Would definitely recommend picking them over others if you're in the US. Any recommendations on a nice, cheap case?

https://www.modmypi.com/shop/raspberry-pi-cases are reasonably priced

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Puddin posted:

Silly question, but are you imaging the card with the iso using win32diskimager, not just extracting the iso and copying it across to the SD card?

I was creating a boot image using win32diskimager yeah. I just eventually downloaded an old as dirt image and copied a loader.bin out of that and injected it into a new release. Pi started to boot and would give me the rainbow screen and a few lines of dos-like words on screen I couldn't read before it would reboot and repeat the process indicating that despite it being a 5v power source it was off just a slight bit. Switching out to a different power source solved that problem and now I'm running the newest release of Openelec. :)

Aardappel
Jun 9, 2003

I keep a swastika flag hanging out my backside,
But only on the left side, yeah that's the Third Reich side
Nice case: http://pibow.com/

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

YouTuber posted:

I was creating a boot image using win32diskimager yeah. I just eventually downloaded an old as dirt image and copied a loader.bin out of that and injected it into a new release. Pi started to boot and would give me the rainbow screen and a few lines of dos-like words on screen I couldn't read before it would reboot and repeat the process indicating that despite it being a 5v power source it was off just a slight bit. Switching out to a different power source solved that problem and now I'm running the newest release of Openelec. :)

Sweet.

I remember now I had problems with a USB charger that kept on randomly rebooting. Turns out the cable was stuffed. Charged a phone perfectly fine but wouldn't power up the Pi.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I haven't seen this posted here yet but I just used this guide to install FreePBX on a Model B and I am impressed.

http://nerdvittles.com/?p=3026

Everything went very smoothly and I had my VOIP phone making/receiving calls in less than 2 hours. There's an option to include Google Voice as a free trunk but I haven't tried it yet.

Could be a cool solution for a nerdy household to setup individual lines, intercoms, VM, paging etc.

Unrelated to Pi, FreePBX is badass all by itself.

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

I LOVE this case but I'm having a hard time justifying spending half the price of the pi on a case.

Deprecated
Oct 3, 2012

Working on turning my raspberry pi into a wifi meat probe. It currently measures the temperature and makes a quick graph in python, and then ships the graph off to apache. I can then check on the roast from my couch, supporting my sedentary lifestyle.

Just finished adding a thermocouple to the circuit to measure the bbq's ambient or coal temperature, but I need to toy around some more with displaying two data sets on the same graph.

Also need to figure out a case for the breadboard, as it's kind of messy and partially melted from soldering on it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

Deprecated posted:

Working on turning my raspberry pi into a wifi meat probe. It currently measures the temperature and makes a quick graph in python, and then ships the graph off to apache. I can then check on the roast from my couch, supporting my sedentary lifestyle.

Just finished adding a thermocouple to the circuit to measure the bbq's ambient or coal temperature, but I need to toy around some more with displaying two data sets on the same graph.

Also need to figure out a case for the breadboard, as it's kind of messy and partially melted from soldering on it.

This is awesome. (To those who don't want to make it a project, you can get a remote meat/grill thermometer for less than the cost of an RPi.)

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

Shadaez posted:

I LOVE this case but I'm having a hard time justifying spending half the price of the pi on a case.

Ha, told my GF to get me it for my birthday.

Fly posted:

This is awesome. (To those who don't want to make it a project, you can get a remote meat/grill thermometer for less than the cost of an RPi.)

But then you wouldn't be able to check the temperature from the internet.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Haha just today I was thinking "If only I could get my Pi to tell me how long until my pork chops were done". At least I'm not the only crazy one.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Shadaez posted:

Too much work, have it text you.

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

Dr. Dos posted:

Haha just today I was thinking "If only I could get my Pi to tell me how long until my pork chops were done". At least I'm not the only crazy one.

You'll really like this then:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18142

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011

lone77wulf posted:

I got mine from Newark. From the ship notification to my door was 2 days, and it shipped 14 days before the predicted restock.

Pi shipped today. Thanks again, I was about to order from MCM which would have taken much longer. Pi will be here this Fri, Sat (if they do Sat delivery) or Mon, along with my Pibow! So exciting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there an Arduino thread? I saw that animatronic lamp video and started looking around but the Pi thread is the closest I've found so far.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Is there an Arduino thread? I saw that animatronic lamp video and started looking around but the Pi thread is the closest I've found so far.

One popped up recently here in DIY & Hobbies.

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
I got mine. I don't remember when I ordered, must have been June or July, and I got it last Saturday. Because I had the flu I didn't get around to opening it till yesterday. From unboxing to watching a movie on it took me less than 45 minutes, which included the time it took me to find a monitor somewhere in my house with an HDMI connection, and go through old electronic devices till I found an SD card I could use.

Not sure what I'll do with it next, but I'm having fun so far. Well worth the $45 total I spent on it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I got mine after a wait of a month or so too. It's velcroed to the back of the bedroom TV with a $10 wireless dongle, openelec and no case. The XBMC ipad control works well. Totally worth the money.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm just being dense but how exactly do you overclock this thing? I'm told it's a simple edit of the config.txt file which should be totally empty aside from what you enter. I entered in what I wanted it overclocked to and it appears it doesn't hold when I boot into Openelec. Another place said edit cmdline.txt and enter what you want.

On the hardware tab of XBMC it shows Bogomips:697.75 which I'm going to conclude is the processor speed. Just idling at the main screen has the CPU Usage from 90-95%.

The real reason I want to overclock is to fix the DTS 5.1 downscaling to 2.0 since I don't have a 5.1 reciever. 720p films/shows encoded with 5.1 audio buffer every 5-10 seconds.

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass

Shadaez posted:

Ha, told my GF to get me it for my birthday.

That's true, but if you're cooking meat, you'd really better be somewhere close so that the Internet won't matter. :-)

edit: Nevermind me. You're absolutely right. Using the RPi is the only true path to BBQ.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

YouTuber posted:

On the hardware tab of XBMC it shows Bogomips:697.75 which I'm going to conclude is the processor speed.

Bogomips is a different thing entirely.

This question on the RasPi Stack Exchange site might help you.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Modern Pragmatist posted:

One popped up recently here in DIY & Hobbies.

There's also the embedded programming microthread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500975

Although folks in there can be a little contemptuous of Arduinos sometimes.

Also if you're wanting to learn circuits and things as opposed to programming there's the Learning Electronics Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977 - there's some Arduino chat in there too.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

chippy posted:

There's also the embedded programming microthread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3500975

Although folks in there can be a little contemptuous of Arduinos sometimes.

Also if you're wanting to learn circuits and things as opposed to programming there's the Learning Electronics Megathread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977 - there's some Arduino chat in there too.

Mainly I am looking for a PC/Android -> servo interface, with the ability to hang a couple of sensors off of. I suspect the Raspberry Pi can do this, but waiting six months for a board (and the relatively young community around it) is making me look elsewhere. Arduino seems like a decent choice.

Hysterix
Dec 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Mainly I am looking for a PC/Android -> servo interface, with the ability to hang a couple of sensors off of. I suspect the Raspberry Pi can do this, but waiting six months for a board (and the relatively young community around it) is making me look elsewhere. Arduino seems like a decent choice.

https://www.adafruit.com/ might have what you're looking for. Also, they sell RPi's and I had mine in hand 7 days from order.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I just want to control four or five servos, to do a sort of robot arm thing with some sensors on the end. I think an Arduino board with a servo expansion shield runs about what a RPi costs. How many servos can you control off a single pi board?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Hadlock posted:

I just want to control four or five servos, to do a sort of robot arm thing with some sensors on the end. I think an Arduino board with a servo expansion shield runs about what a RPi costs. How many servos can you control off a single pi board?

None, same with the Arduino. Running servos directly off the Pi/Arduino pins will likely fry them.

An Arduino with some sort of motor driver shield is more well-suited to what you have in mind.

edit: So yeah, I'm just confirming what you already suspected

Shadaez
Dec 19, 2011
Have any of you got Quake 3 running well? For me it's slow and there are graphics artifacts everywhere. I'm not even running it at 1080p, and I had everything on low and it's really bad. I've tried different OC settings (including none), and using different power supplies including a 2A one.

I know it's not really the purpose of the thing, but I really wanted to play Quake 3 on it :(

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Switched from Raspbmc to Openelec and holy crap Openelec runs so much smoother. I highly recommend Openelec.

Edit: One question though, seems like most of the addons are broken. Do they need to do openelec/raspbmc specific addons for it to work or something?

I'd like to change skins but none seem to be working.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
If you're running OpenELEC 3.0b4, that actually broke a lot of things. Not sure if its a bug with the beta or a fundamental change, but after upgrading I received messages that previously installed addons like nano, iperf etc. were broken despite working that day with beta 3.

Also, the changes in Frodo broke a lot of skins, they'll have to be updated.