Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It helps to stop thinking of time as a progression and accept that all points in time exist simultaneously. Free will is an illusion. Everything plays out deterministically.

It's like, imagine a piece of paper with a line drawn on it that goes straight for a while and then loops back on itself, crossing at one point and then continuing on in its original heading. To read Homestuck with the assumption that time is progression is to trace that line from the start with your finger and then, upon reaching the intersection, exclaim, "this can't be right. This intersecting line can't exist because I haven't drawn it yet."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
You mean like a spirograph?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I notice that whenever this weird time poo poo comes up the dichotomy is always between those of us who just "get it" easily and those who have trouble with every new development.

I think we have a few Time players in the thread is what I'm saying :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A whole new class, the Sperg of Time.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Fucknag posted:

A whole new class, the Sperg of Time.

Lord of Sperg

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
A little late, but god drat, Ke$hastuck is hilarious

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

I notice that whenever this weird time poo poo comes up the dichotomy is always between those of us who just "get it" easily and those who have trouble with every new development.

You can't overthink it. Just roll with it and see what happens. And above all, try not to do anything retarded.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Jim the Nickel posted:

Finally, someone let him out of his cage.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Jim the Nickel posted:

I know, right?

code:
Your name is MARSHALL MATHERS and you are SO loving TIRED of the INSANELY LARGE AMOUNT OF SPAGHETTI your MOM makes.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

Well actually, the only ones who intuitively got time travel and causality without any outside help at all in canon were Jade and Kanaya - Space players. (Aradia doesn't count since she was A) possessed by spirits telling her exactly what to do and B) privy to all a Sprite's information on the game; Dave had to find out the hard way how poo poo worked, and specifically asked Terezi to stay linear so he could keep track of their conversations.) Added to this, Calliope understood causal spoilers fairly well when she hooked up the Alpha kids with their chat clients, though she probably had a fair amount of help from the Tome Of Spoilers (whatever Gamzee didn't erase).

Just interesting to think that representing an aspect and comprehension of an aspect are two very different things.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

It's only impossible if you think of the pre-scratch universe as coming chronologically before the post-scratch universe. It doesn't. They are not a single linear timeline, they are two parallel timelines that diverge from a single point.

Although an event in timeline 1 influences its past to create timeline 2, this doesn't cause timeline 1 to have never happened. What seems to happen instead is that timeline 1 comes to an end at the point in time the influence originates from. This would explain why players have to take measures to ensure their continued existence (the A1 players' mass suicide, B1 players' escape into the furthest ring/through the fourth wall, future dream Rose escaping a doomed timeline by merging with her past self), and yet Jake was able to send parcels back and forth between himself and Jade despite her being in the old universe. The history of that universe, up to the point of the scratch, still exists. It's just in a different part of the frog than the new one.

I hope that makes sense, because it's a drat hard idea to put into words. :v:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ddddddffdfddddfddf posted:

Finally, someone let him out of his cage.

Eh, the time for him was nothing, as he was counting no age.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cabbit posted:

Eh, the time for him was nothing, as he was counting no age.

Now he couldn't be there, mostly because he is already here.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jim the Nickel posted:

Damon Albarn, the Park of Life, in the land of Simians and Blur.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Obviously Jeff Mangum is exploring the Land of Hotels and Milk.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Dias posted:

Now he couldn't be there, mostly because he is already here.

Sould we be scared then?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I can't stop smiling. :allears:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Dad! :swoon:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

YESSSS! DAD LIVES! :neckbeard:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oh my god Dad just chilling on Derse :allears:

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Pfff. Like anyone could hurt a hair on Dad's head.

If he had any.

I wonder who he is talking to?

EDIT: You admit the thought of carrying an imprisoned tailor wherever you go is gratifying for personal reasons.

life_source fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 11, 2012

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Caliborn posted:

uu: YOU SHOULD SEE HOW THEY TREATED HIM! THE HORROR HE EXPERIENCED MUST BE DIFFICULT FOR A HUMAN GIRL TO IMAGINE.

Yeah, I can totally see it. Who could possibly survive such an extravagant room? One look at that priceless statue and I would be begging for death.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

life_source posted:

I wonder who he is talking to?

Oh god if its fedorafreak I seriously might start sobbing openly.

Edit: VVV Silly me, durr.VVV

Luminous Obscurity fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
^^^^^^^^
I think he was paging the dignitary for more tobacco

See children, this is why DD is the best of the Crew.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don't know why we were ever worried.

Droog could never bring himself to hurt a fellow Man of Class.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Oh my god my face is going to be frozen in a smile for the rest of the night. This is the best possible situation for Dad to end up in.

I want Dad and DD to team up and be classy gentlemen together.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
DD and Dad: Moirails for life :d:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Whoever it was that was saying Caliborn's "bad is good" interpretation would mean Dad was getting waited on hand and foot? Good on ya, apparently.

I really hope John gets to meet Jane's dad. Even if it's not his Dad per se, they're basically the same guy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

RandallODim posted:

I want Dad and DD to team up and be classy gentlemen together.

There's a lot of trouble for a couple of well-heeled roustabouts to get into. Some serious Chandlerian imbroglios.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
At this moment I regret switching my DD avatar.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Wow, the Dersites are small.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yay, Dad! He's just such a glassy gent, DD couldn't resist!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Whoever it was that was saying Caliborn's "bad is good" interpretation would mean Dad was getting waited on hand and foot? Good on ya, apparently.

I really hope John gets to meet Jane's dad. Even if it's not his Dad per se, they're basically the same guy.

Plot twist! Turns out they are the same guy. Literally.

(Don't you mind how it chimes with Dad dying to Bec Noir, just enjoy it).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Also is that WV in prison? :haw:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I can only hope to be half as classy as Dad someday. :allears:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I should've guessed that Dad and Droog would be a real pair.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also is that WV in prison? :haw:

The "Villein" sprite from here matches up with it pretty much perfectly.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

In unrelated news, Treestuck is answering Asks again in preparation for watching Cascade in a few days (yay!) and someone asked her what class/combo she thought she'd be.

She answered the Page of Hope.

Let's all take a moment and think about the number of levels that's amusing on.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Arthur Crackpot posted:

I think it's just that Caliborn had no intimate knowledge of Derse's prisons, much less its singular posh solitary confinement cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

WV being in prison is kind of disconcerting, but it makes total sense that Dad would be able to inspire respect in any member of the Midnight Crew, not just its quasi-erstwhile leader.