Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

So I don't really know where else to post this because it's just one video, so this thread seemed like the best fit. Every once in a while I'll re-watch this video because it's probably one of the best things ESPN has ever done, in my opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK-l0dEvfWg

I had more cynicism out of this one compared to that one ESPN did at the turn of the century. A lot of flubs and disgraced athletes and I guess I don't like "Clocks" either.

Ten years later and I'm still hilariously amazed at how stupid and insane a 72-year-old Don Zimmer was in trying to attack Pedro Martinez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
ESPN's Images Of The Century

http://vimeo.com/m/23973434

One of the best US sports videos ever.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

For those of you who didn't know..

There is a 30 for 30 marathon today. Poney Excess is on now, Followed by Ghosts of Ole Miss then Broke.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

There's a new 30 for 30 short up: The Arnold Palmer

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Spikey posted:

The greatest non-alcoholic drink.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spikey posted:

This is awesome. Arnie owns.

I finally saw Pony Excess on Thanksgiving, I thought I knew most of the story but holy hell I never realized just how blatant they were in pulling that poo poo. :stare:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
You Don't Know Bo airs this coming Saturday.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:siren: You Don't Know Bo is starting now :siren:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm really enjoying this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Bo Jackson is unreal

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
please stop focusing on the Seahawks game :smithicide:

e: That Tecmo Bowl section owned

Pungry fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 9, 2012

DriveC
Oct 27, 2008

Going to Gamestop at midnight for Halo: ODST. Didn't pre order. The guy on the phone told me I *might* get a copy. Whatever dude.
Was waiting for some Tecmo Bowl action this whole time.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Bo makes arrows? What kind?

e: That was very good. Glad I watched it.

Pungry fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 9, 2012

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Bo Jackson is unreal

Watching him play live in the '80s was an unforgettable experience. The guy was otherworldly. I saw both the Bosworth trucking and the All-Star lead off homer live. And they didn't show the play in that MNF game where he outran the Seattle defense - and turned the corner on Bosworth - and decelerated up the tunnel in the Kingdone.

Watching Bo live resulted in a constant state of :stare:

StarcraftM
Jan 15, 2008

Full Fuckin' Circle.
Bo's injury is the most metal thing ever.
'Oh, I just tore the artery right off of my own goddamn leg, I can still play'

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Watching him play live in the '80s was an unforgettable experience. The guy was otherworldly. I saw both the Bosworth trucking and the All-Star lead off homer live. And they didn't show the play in that MNF game where he outran the Seattle defense - and turned the corner on Bosworth - and decelerated up the tunnel in the Kingdone.

Watching Bo live resulted in a constant state of :stare:

I agree. I'm just old enough (31) that I can remember watching Bo. I can actually remember the wall run, him trucking Boz, all of it. I even had a copy of Bo Jackson's Baseball for my NES. The end narration was sadly probably right - he won't be a hall of famer, he doesn't hold records, etc. If you didn't see it you will never understand how amazing Bo Jackson was.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

StarcraftM posted:

Bo's injury is the most metal thing ever.
'Oh, I just tore the artery right off of my own goddamn leg, I can still play'

Not even just that. I popped my own goddamn hip back in and then the cartilage in my hip died and it just kinda hurt a little bit so I went to the Doc and they just threw a new one in, then I hit a homerun.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I had a pet snake when I was a kid, named Bo. I had the shoes, the posters, even the calendar. He was the man in 1990.

That running up the outfield wall play was some real Prince of Persia poo poo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Bo had been healthy and fully committed to football, what kind of numbers do you guys think he could have put up? Tough to project longevity, but he'd have made runs at the single season rushing record on a regular basis, right?

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

Niwrad posted:

If Bo had been healthy and fully committed to football, what kind of numbers do you guys think he could have put up? Tough to project longevity, but he'd have made runs at the single season rushing record on a regular basis, right?

He was the best running back I've ever seen. A healthy, one-sport-only Bo Jackson would have broken everything. He would have ended the debate on who the greatest back of all time was.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
The closest thing I've seen to Bo was Adrian Peterson in his first couple of years, if you put him in a league where everyone was 40 lbs lighter and a few steps slower.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
a healthy Bo would have made Barry Sanders less exciting.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

They did a few minutes on Tecmo Bowl, not just showing a clip during a montage of his hype. Best 30 for 30.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Am I the only one that thought "Pony Excess" was kinda crap? For the amount of actually interesting information it imparted, it could have been chopped down at least a half hour.

There are two interesting angles with the SMU story, neither of which got much play at all. First, what is it like to play on a team where some people are getting paid under the table? Did the players talk about it with each other? If so, did lower paid players resent higher paid players? Was there locker room drama if a lower paid player jumped a higher paid player on the depth chart? I realize that a lot of these folks were very tight-lipped about this, but the film frustratingly lacked a lot on the player perspective on payments.

Second, I would like to have heard a lot more about the Dallas sports media wars and investigative journalism. They talked about this for about five minutes and related it back to journalism attitudes developed during Watergate. I think a movie that dedicated more attention to the shifting and competitive nature of sports journalism in Dallas would have made for a much more interesting and unique film. Instead, they briefly mentioned it and then jumped back in to the very generic story line of "some people broke some rules and here's how they feel about it."

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I got to the part where he got injured and couldn't watch anymore. Too depressing.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
To Bo's everlasting testament, this very easily could have had a final coda where we hear all about Bo's descent into alcoholism or some other destructive and depressive habit that makes it traditionally heart-wrenching but not at all unique.

Instead, he channeled the pain of losing football (which it seems like he, at heart, loved more) in a positive way, though when he says he can only watch MNF for 15 minutes at a time there's a glimpse of the tragedy he and, by proxy, the rest of us experienced.

Because of contracts and player values, we have absolutely seen the last great dual team sport professional.

Fuckin Bengals.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I missed this the first time but it looks like they're airing it again this Wednesday, so I just set it to record. Bo was one of my favorite athletes growing up.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Having finally watched the episode I'm reminded of my dad. He had hip replacement surgery around the same time that Bo did and his motto was that if Bo could work his way back to playing baseball, my dad could work his way back to a normal life.

:unsmith:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think this episode was good in that you got to hear from Bo. Hearing him talk about what he did and a few specific things. Seeing his retirement lifestyle was great as well.

That being said, seeing a bunch of people praise him is only effective for those that remember him playing. The documentary did a poo poo job of showing how good he was, especially from the football point of view. Check out the people who talked about how awesome he was:

Sportswriter
Sportswriter
Sportswriter
Sportswriter
A quarterback on another team.
A defensive player who never even played at the same time Jackson did.

Granted, for his baseball career they at least had teammates. Even then, they showed only a few things. A few special hits. Good catches and runs.

Football highlights were almost worse. They showed the footage they discussed, but they also showed the same few runs it seemed over and over. And, most of it was just him already past the secondary.

I suppose this has a lot to do with MLB/NFL films locking poo poo up tight, but drat if you didn't already know about Bo, you sure as hell wouldn't know after watching this.

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

A defensive player who never even played at the same time Jackson did.

As I recall, Howie Long was the most prominent defensive player who was talking in the episode, and he absolutely was a teammate of Bo's.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nice Davis posted:

Am I the only one that thought "Pony Excess" was kinda crap? For the amount of actually interesting information it imparted, it could have been chopped down at least a half hour.

I thought it was OK. They seem to have a lot that just give a detailed look at a topic. No angle to it, just here is what happened and here are some people talking about it. That works on stories that are not well known like Marcus Dupree, but leave me bored on one's I did know like Len Bias.

My favorites have been the documentaries that took a unique angle. Two Escobars, No Crossover, and the Marinovich Project are examples of that. I really wish more would go down that route.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Two Escobars was so good that you forget that it's subtitled

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

nature6pk posted:

Two Escobars was so good that you forget that it's subtitled

It was, but perhaps that's because it's the sort of story that becomes a perfect concurrent metaphor for something bigger going on. Seriously, people interested in the cultural and sociological impact of the drug trade on Latin America should watch that even if they don't care at all for soccer. Hell, I hate soccer and I loved the doc. It's one of those thing you watch and say to yourself, "There's no way that actually happened."

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

The Two Escobars is the best doc in the series. It has serious gravity.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My favorite was the Marinovich one, because it was all so baffling that these were events that happened.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
June 17, 1994 is my favorite by a long shot.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

JT_Dutch posted:

As I recall, Howie Long was the most prominent defensive player who was talking in the episode, and he absolutely was a teammate of Bo's.

gently caress I forgot they had Howie. I meant the other guy they had.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I really enjoyed Roll Tide/War Eagle, but maybe that's a story that's well known to college football fans already. I've always been a soccer/basketball guy, so I didn't know much about it.

Two Escobars was something I already knew a lot about, but it was still pretty heavy stuff.

I still think I liked Catching Hell the best though.

Just watched the Gretzky one. It was okay, not that great.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That sure seems like a lot of people who forgot The U existed. I love that one.

Niwrad posted:

I've been watching football since the early 80s and he was the best athlete I've ever seen in the NFL. Gigantic, fast, quick, and hit like a loving wrecking ball.

I hate that he screwed around with baseball, and I especially hate how his career ended the way it did. He was ridiculous to watch.

One other aspect is that Jordan probably would have had a serious threat to his throne of king of commercialized athletes. As much as I loved Bo Jackson, you couldn't loving get away from him for a few years there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

GD_American posted:

That sure seems like a lot of people who forgot The U existed. I love that one.

I_Ain't_Scared.gif

guns.gif

• Locked thread