Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i use a k400 as well. Even works through a wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

jonathan posted:

i use a k400 as well. Even works through a wall.

I use one as well. They had something at staples a few months back to get this for a buck, I couldn't refuse.

It's pretty great for htpc use, I don't really care to use a remote with it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I too have a Logitech K400 in addition to my Logitech Harmony 880.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Has anyone used the Boxee or Tivo remotes with slide-out keyboards? I thought they looked nice..

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I have it all in one activity with an MCE keyboard as the device, just manually learned the sleep/wake commands from the Zotac remote. It sends the commands manually (after this activity starts, do this, etc), not as part of the regular activity startup. I also use Eventghost to kill XBMC off when I suspend and run it again when the computers resumes from sleep. It works pretty well, the odd time I forget to point the remote at the Zotac IR sensor and it stays awake but it uses like 35W of power so its not a huge deal.

Thanks this worked. I followed the guide I linked and then added the Zotac power buttons to the XBMC (sw) device. Just had to then add the command to the activity that says to send this IR signal.

Why bother closing/opening XBMC if the system is sleeping already?

Will any of this change when I plug in the USB IR sensor that came with the Zotac and disable the internal IR?

Still need to re-figure out how to setup the Harmony with the Nyko Bluwave remote...

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Anyone else with a Zotac AD10 have it suddenly stop being able to wake from S3 Sleep? Everything was fine, no software changes but all of a sudden it refuses to wake via USB KB/M or IR commands from Sleep. I have to manually unplug the power to get it to resume, non-responsive power button. It has the latest bios and all that jazz. Google isn't very helpful, some guy says he has the same issue and blames it on HDMI/EDID issues but I don't think that's the case here as it worked fine until yesterday. Hope I don't have to RMA this.

quote:

Why bother closing/opening XBMC if the system is sleeping already?

XBMC uses a bit of CPU while idle so I just have it exit on leaving the activity just in case the machine ever gets left on or wakes up by accident. Also once in awhile XBMC spazzes out and resizes itself if the display isn't woken up fast enough. I just use Eventghost to start XBMC when it receives the MCE.Radio command from the Harmony and to close it when it gets MCE.Recorded TV since I never use either of those commands.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 11, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Well yours stopped working the day mine started working, so there must be a limited number of AD10s in the world that can function at the same time!

Yesterday after I got mine working I put it to sleep and turned off my TV/receiver. When I woke up this morning, the AD10 was awake. What could have possibly woken it up? I left XBMC open when it went to sleep. Is that able to turn it back on itself?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

My AD10 was having some wake issues so I said gently caress it and I just leave it on all the time. I think its costs like $1.50 to power a month so whatever.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

kri kri posted:

My AD10 was having some wake issues so I said gently caress it and I just leave it on all the time. I think its costs like $1.50 to power a month so whatever.

Yep, full tilt its only using 26w which if you ran it full tilt 24 hours a day a 0.10c/kw hour itd be like $1.75 a month

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

KingKapalone posted:

Well yours stopped working the day mine started working, so there must be a limited number of AD10s in the world that can function at the same time!

Yesterday after I got mine working I put it to sleep and turned off my TV/receiver. When I woke up this morning, the AD10 was awake. What could have possibly woken it up? I left XBMC open when it went to sleep. Is that able to turn it back on itself?

Windows Updates can wake from S3 sleep, USB attached devices, etc etc. From a command prompt you can do powercfg -lastwake to see but its usually super vague "USB Root Hub" type stuff.

quote:

Yeah I know, I just liked having everything setup the way I like it. It worked fine for a few weeks, I don't get what changed. Must be a hardware related issue.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
My Revo 1600 decided that it hated working all the time and started giving me a black screen whenever I switch receiver inputs back to the HTPC. The weird part is, if I change inputs and come back inside of an hour or two everything shows up and is happy. If I let it sit overnight, I get the black screen. After getting the black screen, if I reboot the PC, I still get a black screen. I have to boot into safe mode and reinstall the video card drivers to get anything to show up. It was working great for like two years; I don't know why all of a sudden it's being the most irritating thing in the world.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
So I'm not sure if this is the right place so feel free to point me in the right direction.

That said - I recently built myself a new PC. It's at one corner of my apartment with its own monitor. I'd like to run an HDMI cable to the TV (~20 ft?) so I can watch Netflix and stuff on the TV through my PC. However, I'd like to know if I can set up NetFlix so that a movie can be playing on the TV while I do something else (gaming, surf the web etc) on the main monitor.

Is this possible? Or is it not really a good solution? I'm trying to avoid paying for Xbox Live as I only really use it for NetFlix these days.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Lowness 72 posted:

watch Netflix and stuff on the TV through my PC. However, I'd like to know if I can set up NetFlix so that a movie can be playing on the TV while I do something else (gaming, surf the web etc) on the main monitor.

Yes you can. I had a 19" LCD on my old htpc just for web and stuff while movies were going. (We never used it though so it's not there anymore after I did my new htpc couple weeks ago)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, I'm going to get a couple of Zotac AD12's from newegg.ca.

I'll be dumping 8gb ram onto them just because.

Is a 64gb SSD good enough for a Windows 8 install and XBMC ? File and media storage is handled by the NAS over a 1000mbit connection.

Whats the easiest way to get windows 8 onto these machines ? I have a laptop with an optical drive. Can I do an install from the NAS somehow ?

mewse
May 2, 2006

jonathan posted:

Whats the easiest way to get windows 8 onto these machines ? I have a laptop with an optical drive. Can I do an install from the NAS somehow ?

USB stick is probably cheapest/easiest

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mewse posted:

USB stick is probably cheapest/easiest

With 8gb ram, will windows 8 on a usb stick run decently ?

mewse
May 2, 2006

jonathan posted:

With 8gb ram, will windows 8 on a usb stick run decently ?

To install from, not as the system drive, go with the 64GB SSD for that

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

jonathan posted:

Ok, I'm going to get a couple of Zotac AD12's from newegg.ca.

I'll be dumping 8gb ram onto them just because.

Is a 64gb SSD good enough for a Windows 8 install and XBMC ? File and media storage is handled by the NAS over a 1000mbit connection.

I have a 64GB M4 in my AD10 running Windows 7 and it's fine, Windows 8 is a bit lighter on footprint so you shouldn't have any problems. Just keep in mind hibernation and poo poo will eat up space too before you go nuts with ram. I think I've got like 15GB free after apps + and windows updates. Like the other guy said the easiest way of installing the OS is from a USB drive, optical installs take forever by comparison and USB optical booting can be iffy at times.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Do you guys have trouble getting the mounting bracket attached to the SSD in the Zotac AD10/AD12? I could only get 1 screw in and I had to just use tape for the other side.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
No problems with mine.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Somewhat related but does anyone have any guides for ripping/encoding both DVDs and BluRay discs? Google search is coming up with a myriad of options.

Or if anyone has any experience in this, feel free to shout. I don't mind if the software needed is paid or free. Basically, whatever the best option is.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 21, 2012

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roving Reporter posted:

Somewhat related but does anyone have any guides for ripping/encoding both DVDs and BluRay discs? Google search is coming up with a myriad of options.

Handbrake is the easiest tool I've used to rip DVDs but it requires unencrypted data so it would probably have to be combined with AnyDVD HD, especially for bluray

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I forgot about AnyDVD, I'll definitely check them out again.

Since I'm just ripping them to my HD, I should be fine with just grabbing a BluRay drive and not a burner, correct?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Roving Reporter posted:

Since I'm just ripping them to my HD, I should be fine with just grabbing a BluRay drive and not a burner, correct?

Assumably, yeah. Nothing about ripping requires a burner AFAIK

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

mewse posted:

Handbrake is the easiest tool I've used to rip DVDs but it requires unencrypted data so it would probably have to be combined with AnyDVD HD, especially for bluray

For DVD just do this.

http://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to-decrypt-dvds-with-hardbrake-so-you-can-rip-them/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I use makemkv for DVD's, the paid version does bluray as well. Pretty simple but doesn't have a ton of options.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

jonathan posted:

I use makemkv for DVD's, the paid version does bluray as well. Pretty simple but doesn't have a ton of options.

You do not need to pay for MakeMKV to do bluray. It's free while MakeMKV is in beta. It's also really easy to use.

edit: It'll still ask you for a key. They provide a temporary one here

Xenix fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 22, 2012

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Can anyone confirm that the USB3.0 ports work on the Zotac AD10 when running the latest OpenElec? I can't figure out if my USB3 ports are DOA or if OpenElec doesn't have the drivers.

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!
Hey all. I am considering building my first HTPC in a few months and have a few questions.

Do most people who use HTPCs not subscribe to cable for Live TV?
I really want to avoid Time Warner's lovely cable boxes, which is my first reason for building an HTPC, but I also would really like to use XBMC. My understanding is that only WMC can do the tuning and the PVR work.

Does XBMC Frodo solve this? What does everyone else do?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but I run Universal Media Server (a fork of PS3 Media Server) to serve 720p/1080p MKV movies to my PS3/HDTV and it works beautifully but I'd like to move it to another room so I can actually play it.

Is there a cheap alternative I can replace the PS3 with for just this purpose? I've seen some good reviews about the Western Digital TV Live devices, but there's a whole lot of them and I have no idea what to pick.

fookolt fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 24, 2012

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Roving Reporter posted:

Or if anyone has any experience in this, feel free to shout. I don't mind if the software needed is paid or free. Basically, whatever the best option is.

Buy MakeMKV. Seriously best money I have ever spent on software. It doesn't encode but once it's ripped and minus copy protection Handbrake will handle everything after that.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've seen some mentions of the Logitech K400 in here, so what does multi-touch on a mouse-replacement digitizer actually do for you? Pinch to zoom? what? Anything neat in Google Earth?

Just ordered one. I have good eyes I guess and have been using my own forms of htpcs for 10+ years with no 10-foot interface, just straight Win 2000, xp, and now 7 with a long ps2 or usb extension cable stretched across the room for a keyboard and mouse. I am super excited to be not so ghetto now. I did once try a logitech wireless kbd+mouse pair in my 1st htpc days in 2000 but they would barely go 5 feet.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Scrolling.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
how though? In what way is it different than somehow the regular way a laptop touchpad does it? Reegular way being like the right %10 of the pad is for scrolling? 'cause those are the only implementations I'm familiar with and they don't need more than 1 point of finger-detection.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Yes instead of having to aim for a spot you just put 2 fingers in the pad and move them, like a Mac.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Don Lapre posted:

Yes instead of having to aim for a spot you just put 2 fingers in the pad and move them, like a Mac.

Not getting it totally, have not used any sort of modern mac but it sounds intriguing and something I might like. The normal Dell/Lenovo scrolling touchpad feature I described above pisses me off the way it's accidentally activated and I disable it whenever I can.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Scrolling.

Pretty much.

The only thing mine does is two finger scrolling and it's perfect.

Wagonburner posted:

I have good eyes I guess and have been using my own forms of htpcs for 10+ years with no 10-foot interface, just straight Win 2000, xp and now 7

As somebody who was doing the same thing, try something like Plex. It's nice how you tell it what folders to scan, it scraps the metadata and presents it in a decent looking interface.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Sporadic posted:

Pretty much.

The only thing mine does is two finger scrolling and it's perfect.

It supports horizontal scrolling in windows 8 as well.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
What sort of OS/Software setups do you guys have on your Zotac AD10s, and how do they perform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iceslice posted:

What sort of OS/Software setups do you guys have on your Zotac AD10s, and how do they perform?

I don't have the zotac but I have the Foxconn equivalent. I'm running openelec off a 60GB SSD and it performs great. No problem playing 1080p videos. I'm hardwired into my network at 1Gb as well. Took me all of 15 mins to install and setup installing off a flash drive. I use XBMC as my remote so I don't have a keyboard or mouse hooked up. I threw a USB one on to do the install but other than that I don't use one. Mine is strictly for playing media though.