Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

The Poetic/Blurex/EXOTEK/Moko slimcase is pretty popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

The Poetic/Blurex/EXOTEK/Moko slimcase is pretty popular.

I got my Blurex case today. The black leather makes my Nexus 7 look really swank.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My only gripe with the Blurex/Moko whatever case is that the clasp is rigid. If there was a way to get around that, I'd love it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I did a factory wipe of my Nexus 7 and then cleared everything off of it with fastboot and reflashed 4.2.1.

We'll see if that has any effect on my idle battery drainage.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Jumping on the Blurex bandwagon- it's gotten by far the most use on my Galaxy Tab 8.9 since I got it in March. Doesn't add much noticeable weight or thickness at all and the stitching has held together just fine even though I'm popping my Tab in and out all the time.

Thrillhou
Dec 28, 2006
On the subject of a nexus 7 case, are there any recommended Bluetooth keyboard cases, or are the Bluetooth versions of the brands already posted good?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

MauveTrousers posted:

On the subject of a nexus 7 case, are there any recommended Bluetooth keyboard cases, or are the Bluetooth versions of the brands already posted good?

On this subject, are there any Bluetooth keyboards that 4.2 hasn't broken?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

fatherdog posted:

On this subject, are there any Bluetooth keyboards that 4.2 hasn't broken?

My Motorola Bluetooth model works (the little trackpoint one). After the 4.2 update, it was invisible to my phone until I performed the key-press command to factory reset the keyboard's pairing memory. From then on, they pair and work just like always. The only difference I can tell is the keyboard's name in the input menu: formerly named Motorola KZ450 and now it's Broadcom Bluetooth HID.

I wouldn't recommend that particular keyboard for productivity, just casual use from a couch or bed. There are definitely layout compromises to accommodate its netbook size.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Completely wiping and re-installing 4.2.1 from scratch did nothing to curtail idle battery drain. My Nexus 7 just lost 18% battery over the past 8 hours and it was doing absolutely nothing. It didn't even register any awake time during those 8 hours yet it was still draining over 2% per hour.

I'm going to back to 4.1.2 today, 4.2.1 just isn't worth it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That is pretty odd. I have my new Nexus 7 and I can leave it on for 4-5 days without using it before I have to charge it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was able to do that before 4.2, but since the update is just isn't happening.

Completely appalling. Notice too that I'm somehow getting screen on time and the thing isn't registering as awake.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 9, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I suspect "awake" reporting is broken, as both of the 2-hour period my n7 has been awake report only a tiny blip of awake.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I was able to do that before 4.2, but since the update is just isn't happening.

Completely appalling. Notice too that I'm somehow getting screen on time and the thing isn't registering as awake.

That is really weird. I've got 4.2 on my Nexus 7 and just put it on my Galaxy Nexus and neither one has much if any difference in battery life. I hope going back to 4.1 fixes it for you, but I'd be a little worried something weird happened with the hardware coincidentally around the same time the update happened (not terribly likely, I know :shrug:). With light use, I'm still getting around 5d at least, leaving wifi and syncing on. Currently at 5d7h, 65% battery, one bout of charging from ~50 to ~85% two days ago. I also noticed a couple "screen on" blips without "awake" blips. I don't know, but at least 4.2 isn't universally broken, so you should be able to get better than what you're seeing.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
This is my N7 on 4.2 (you'll notice haven't done the newest system update)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Just got the Asus Transformer TF300T with keyboard.

I like the tablet itself, but I feel like I would be a lot happier with the Apple iPad app ecosystem. The oft-mentioned problem of phone-apps blown up to tablet size as a result of Android phone popularity makes finding great tablet apps a rarity.

There's just so little if anything on there that I couldn't use my laptop or iPhone for. I'm probably going to end up reselling it as slightly used, I hopefully won't lose any money on this purchase.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
What's the best thing going in the Android 10" scene at the moment? I'm looking at Christmas so it needs to be in stores/online now.

Is the 10" Note out yet? Unless there's something horribly bad about it, that'd trump everything. Otherwise, what (if anything) is a better buy than the Nexus 10?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

What's the best thing going in the Android 10" scene at the moment? I'm looking at Christmas so it needs to be in stores/online now.

Is the 10" Note out yet? Unless there's something horribly bad about it, that'd trump everything. Otherwise, what (if anything) is a better buy than the Nexus 10?

The 10" Note is out and it's awful according to every review of it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Michael Scott posted:

There's just so little if anything on there that I couldn't use my laptop or iPhone for.

The same is true with an iPad. A tablet is just a weird half way point between a laptop and a phone, with none of the benefits of either and all of the drawbacks. It's just a bigger phone with no cellular service.

What exactly were you looking for in a tablet?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splizwarf posted:

The Nexus 10 is better than every other Android tablet in almost every way.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The 10" Note is out and it's awful according to every review of it.

drat. This is intended to replace an aging Motion Computing LE1600; the pen was a serious attraction on the 10" Note.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Nexus 10 is better than every other Android tablet in almost every way.

Can you elaborate? What's it up against these days?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Frozen-Solid posted:

The same is true with an iPad. A tablet is just a weird half way point between a laptop and a phone, with none of the benefits of either and all of the drawbacks. It's just a bigger phone with no cellular service.

I thought using one for a good period of time would give me a better idea and appreciation of the benefits of a device like that. It hasn't. A big factor might just be personal preference and my usage habits that don't mesh with a 10.1 incher.

Splizwarf posted:

drat. This is intended to replace an aging Motion Computing LE1600; the pen was a serious attraction on the 10" Note.

You can get a stylus for about $3 for any capacitive touchscreen device though, including smartphones and tablets.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Michael Scott posted:

You can get a stylus for about $3 for any capacitive touchscreen device though, including smartphones and tablets.

No that's really not the same at all. A capacitive stylus is nothing like an active digitizer and pressure sensitive pen for what that kind of people want to do (mostly drawing).

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

I agree with this. I've had an iPad 2 for about 1.5 years now and it's just sort of awkward (for reading, bed, watching movies). The only thing I really liked with it is setting it on a countertop (using the smartcover) and watching Netflix / videos while doing other things that require hands (dishwashing, folding laundry, etc).

I think the 7" tablet market is the future though: the Nexus 7 is amazing, it's just like a phone but a better size so that reading books on it is natural and two people can watch something on it not awkwardly. I just wish they had an equivalent to the smartcover.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Can you elaborate? What's it up against these days?

The Transformer Infinity, the Note series, some Toshiba garbage and a slew of lovely tablets. The Nexus 10 has the best screen of any tablet, and is the first to use an A15. It smashes other Android tablets in benchmarks, even when it's pushing 4 million pixels versus their native resolutions. It's also got stereo speakers on the front, it's thin, light and has good battery life.

There are a few things that the 10 doesn't have, and might be important enough to someone to warrant buying them over the 10:
Micro SD slot (the 10 comes with 16 or 32GB of storage)
Full-size USB port (but you can get an adapter to use USB accessories on the 10)
Inductive layer for stylus (the Note has this!)
Keyboard dock (might happen for the 10 but don't count on it)
Proprietary charger that makes it charge faster (the 10 will get a special charger)

The 10 has pogo pins on the underside so in the future it's likely to get a charger that can make use of them (and charge it faster) or possibly even a keyboard dock.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd love to have a true keyboard dock like on my original Transformer on a Nexus 10 or similar hardware. Because seriously, it's great to have for me, and I've ended up with extended power outages several times the past year and the 18 hour battery you get on an original Transformer with dock really helps in that.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I noticed Amazon finally created an Android tablet app for their main store. It's getting a lot of bad reviews which cite app stability, but I haven't had any problems. Looks pretty good to me.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Frozen-Solid posted:

This is not true as there are tens of thousands of iPad-specific apps that are specifically designed to take advantage of the additional screen real estate. Eventually (hopefully) android tab apps will catch up.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Full-size USB port (but you can get an adapter to use USB accessories on the 10)

What? Like, they went with a proprietary connector, or do you mean it's a mini-USB port?

Keyboard dock (might happen for the 10 but don't count on it)

Do you mean there's no official dock or that there's nothing good out there at all? A keyboard dock is moderately important to me, but I don't care if it's first-party.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

What? Like, they went with a proprietary connector, or do you mean it's a mini-USB port?

Do you mean there's no official dock or that there's nothing good out there at all? A keyboard dock is moderately important to me, but I don't care if it's first-party.
There's a micro USB port. You can use an adapter to convert it to full-sized port. They cost about two bucks. No one has made anything that uses the pogo pins. Since we know it's for charging, a third party could make a keyboard dock that would charge the tablet, but it might have to use bluetooth to transmit the keystrokes.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
My bad, micro was what I meant. That's fine, I just don't want to get stuck again with weird poo poo like my old Streak's "It's not a Dock Connector!" PDMI cable or the Nook Tablet proprietary one that looks like micro USB but is actually just a little off in every dimension.

gently caress laggy bluetooth keyboards (I have the Xoom one and don't use it), but one of the third party generic cases with a wired micro USB keyboard would be fine.

Invisble Manuel
Nov 4, 2009

spincube posted:

Really? I've not paid a penny (other than for the app [Play link]), and after feeding the PC client my Google details I've been able to remote in over 3G.

I know I'm coming back to this a bit late, sorry. The version you linked to is the old version 1 product (1.6.6.4), it uses Google credentials to sign in, and continues to work, allowing remote access.

The new version, Splashtop 2 (2.1.5.6)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.splashtop.remote.pad.v2

doesn't use google, it uses a splashtop ID. This client is free, but only for local LAN, not across networks. The version 1 is (currently) $4.99, but then, you have no access fees to access remotely.

If you need access from networks other than your own LAN, the one time $5 seems the better buy, than an ongoing subscription based fee. But if you never need remote access, obviously free is better...

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

Just got my Nexus10 in the mail. There's a seal that says do not accept if seal is broken. Well it's broken pretty well. Looks like it was opened. The tablet and materials all look brand new and everything though. Should I just keep it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It sounds like you already accepted it so I'm not sure why you're asking. You're supposed to tell the mail person "what the gently caress is this!?" and refuse it. If you're already inspecting the stuff, you can't prove anything to Google. Glad to hear it's intact at least.

Edit: I guess if you're asking whether you should warranty it, just check all the functionality and do a factory reset to be safe.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 10, 2012

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
One side of the seal was broken on mine. It seamed very tight such that any normal handling of the box would make the sticker snap.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Just got my new Nexus 10 tonight as well. It's very nice aside from one random reboot thus far.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way to make the volume on my nexus 7 louder than the default max when wearing headphones? Volume ++ still doesn't work on jellybean right?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Invisble Manuel posted:

If you need access from networks other than your own LAN, the one time $5 seems the better buy, than an ongoing subscription based fee. But if you never need remote access, obviously free is better...

Some more things to note if you use Splashtop:

Splashtop v1 does NOT encrypt anything. This is generally a bad idea when doing remote access. If you're at all worried about what you're doing remotely you should use Splashtop v2. My solution for this is to use ConnectBot to SSH tunnel into my home network, and forward ports for the Splashtop Client to access the server. That way I'm encrypted and still get remote access.

Splastop v2 is encrypted entirely down the line, and does much better compression and therefore has a better framerate. There's no PC client for Splashtop v2 yet, which is disappointing, but the v1 PC client can connect to v2 servers just fine.

Overall I like v2 a lot better, and it saves the hassle of having to SSH Tunnel.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Ordered a Nexus 10 after some internal debating. Going to have to get rid of my N7 and iPad 3 but I'm excited to finally have an Android tablet that would actually be able to replace my iPad usage rather than just sorta sit there and be useful for a few things. I ordered the 32GB through the Play Store so I reckon it won't ship out for a week or so since it seems they're low.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Kenshirou posted:

Ordered a Nexus 10 after some internal debating. Going to have to get rid of my N7 and iPad 3 but I'm excited to finally have an Android tablet that would actually be able to replace my iPad usage rather than just sorta sit there and be useful for a few things. I ordered the 32GB through the Play Store so I reckon it won't ship out for a week or so since it seems they're low.
I wouldn't count on it replacing your iPad. Even things that work properly on the 7 can look like crap on the 10. Text and videos look great, but there's a lot of raster graphics out there and they all get stretched into blocky poo poo unless they were made for the higher res. Pretty much every 2D game is going to look bad. The hardware itself is great, though, and the screen is amazing when you're looking at something that can take advantage of it, but mostly it just exposes low-res graphics. It's the same situation as when the iPad 3 came out and everything made for the iPad 2 looked like rear end, but it's not like everyone is going out and buying the 10 so there's not the same initiative for developers to fix poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I wouldn't count on it replacing your iPad. Even things that work properly on the 7 can look like crap on the 10. Text and videos look great, but there's a lot of raster graphics out there and they all get stretched into blocky poo poo unless they were made for the higher res. Pretty much every 2D game is going to look bad. The hardware itself is great, though, and the screen is amazing when you're looking at something that can take advantage of it, but mostly it just exposes low-res graphics. It's the same situation as when the iPad 3 came out and everything made for the iPad 2 looked like rear end, but it's not like everyone is going out and buying the 10 so there's not the same initiative for developers to fix poo poo.

This is all true, but also think about how much you use apps.

Personally, I use very few apps and mostly just use the web or read text so I would weigh the lovely-lookin-apps factor a corresponding amount less.