Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

myron cope posted:

Have you tried reloading/refreshing them (from in the app)? I always panic and think mine are lost too when that happens. Pull down to refresh

Yep, first thing I tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Smiling Jack posted:

Yep, first thing I tried.
Are they there when you look in a browser?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

choobs posted:

Are they there when you look in a browser?

Yes.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Uninstalled and reinstalled, works fine now.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Yeah, that's some fuckery I haven't figured out yet. I get the same thing in Safari sometimes.

That also happens to me intermittently in Safari. My solution is to zoom in on the text and then select the single word.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

awesomekittens posted:

Can we get a list of updates/bugfixes implemented in 1.9? I know a lot of issues will be fixed and it'd be handy to know which ones.

There's a little tl;dr that'll come when the update goes live. Here's a more expansive list if you're interested.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I'm particularly interested by this one

What does that entail? I'm curious :allears:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It's the auto-emptyquote button.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'm particularly interested by this one

What does that entail? I'm curious :allears:

We decided the button you tap for post actions (quote, edit) was overwrought. We replaced it with an ellipsis. When I switched it out, I forgot to do it for the YOSPOS template.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Also I try to keep those commit summaries short so sometimes I get creative in the verb department.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

Also I try to keep those commit summaries short so sometimes I get creative in the verb department.

Haha, brilliant. Looking forward to trying 1.9. Any HUGE ideas for 2.0+?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Haha, brilliant. Looking forward to trying 1.9. Any HUGE ideas for 2.0+?

I'd really like to be able to tap on someone's avatar and view their profile, or at least the full custom title, with text and everything. I do the majority of my forum reading on this app and don't like having to load up a browser just to see the new text when someone's av changes or to "get" some mentioned avatar joke.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Bummey posted:

or to "get" some mentioned avatar joke.

I hear you loud and clear Happy Noodle Boy :D

I plan on getting platinum soon so search and PM support would be cool.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Post history would be amazing, although I won't need it until next SA Secret Santa.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I'd like to be able to see what a person was banned/probated for.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Haven't decided what to aim for yet. 2.0 might consist of stealing a bunch of hardstylle's code that I've been ignoring (sorry) to get things cleaned up.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My vote is for 2.0 to be largely a code-cleanup release. Get a lot of the groundwork and architecture there, so that adding all these cool new features is easier. Navigating a byzantine maze of code is not fun, especially if something breaks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Will archives work with Awful? I do most of my browsing on this great app so I want to know before I 'waste' my :10bux:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Will archives work with Awful? I do most of my browsing on this great app so I want to know before I 'waste' my :10bux:

There's no way to browse archives, but clicking a link to an archived thread works the same way as clicking a link to an active thread. I'm honestly not sure what the behavior is in the current release version, but in 1.9 it will open the thread in the app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope, the app has no search features implemented currently.

But if you need to search you could visit the forum in Safari.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I was more thinking if you bookmark the archived thread (can you do that actually?) will it work?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

You can't bookmark an archived thread.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually forgot that I have archives.

Would there really be hoops to go through to just add them to the end of the forums list?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Diabolik900 posted:

You can't bookmark an archived thread.

Ah, never mind then. The main reason was I finally started watching Heroes recently. I'm up to season 4 and it's started getting pretty ridiculous. I was going to read the thread up until the point the next episode aired, guess that's not really possible without bookmarks.

The Dave posted:

Would there really be hoops to go through to just add them to the end of the forums list?

That would be great :D

Not really the place to ask but I don't suppose there's still an active Heroes thread? I don't have platinum so I can't search.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Axiem posted:

My vote is for 2.0 to be largely a code-cleanup release. Get a lot of the groundwork and architecture there, so that adding all these cool new features is easier. Navigating a byzantine maze of code is not fun, especially if something breaks.

I vote for code cleanup to be 1.9.x because .0 releases should be fun and code cleanup is boring!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Not really the place to ask but I don't suppose there's still an active Heroes thread? I don't have platinum so I can't search.

Can't find one through search, but the search UI is terrible so I'm not sure I was even doing it right.

myron cope posted:

I vote for code cleanup to be 1.9.x because .0 releases should be fun and code cleanup is boring!

Pokeyman can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure code cleanup was a lot of what went into 1.7 - 1.9. They were all relatively light on new features, but heavy on code cleanup and styling changes.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I don't have archives and have no idea how they work, nor can I test them out. If someone with archives is willing to add what's needed to Awful, I'm happy to help any way I can.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Pokeyman can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure code cleanup was a lot of what went into 1.7 - 1.9. They were all relatively light on new features, but heavy on code cleanup and styling changes.

You are not wrong.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pokeyman posted:

I don't have archives and have no idea how they work, nor can I test them out. If someone with archives is willing to add what's needed to Awful, I'm happy to help any way I can.
I'll buy you an archives cert if you want one.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I don't promise they'll be implemented anytime soon in Awful, but that would certainly speed up the process. Thanks!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My assumption is that the archives are just forum posts that have been moved to a new table in the database to save on them cluttering the indexing for current threads. They function just like normal forum posts, the urls are even the same, but a new input shows up on the forum index to specify a date range. I don't think you even need the archives upgrade to view the posts.. you just need the upgrade to be able to search dates.

A random archived thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1737471

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pokeyman posted:

I don't promise they'll be implemented anytime soon in Awful, but that would certainly speed up the process. Thanks!
Archives gift cert sent by PM. I don't even care if awful ever gets archives support since I rarely use archives when I'm mobile, so please don't take it that way at all. I just wanted to say thanks for your efforts on the app!

(FWIW I care more about being able to zoom images way more than archives :) .)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

My assumption is that the archives are just forum posts that have been moved to a new table in the database to save on them cluttering the indexing for current threads. They function just like normal forum posts, the urls are even the same, but a new input shows up on the forum index to specify a date range. I don't think you even need the archives upgrade to view the posts.. you just need the upgrade to be able to search dates.

I was going to say that link works great in Awful 1.9 but now I have Archives so I dunno if it works without Archives.

Whatever Archives gets you, I'll make sure Awful takes advantage.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

xzzy posted:

I don't think you even need the archives upgrade to view the posts.. you just need the upgrade to be able to search dates.

You do, that link doesn't work in the app or in safari.

pokeyman posted:

Whatever Archives gets you, I'll make sure Awful takes advantage.

Great to hear, I fancy seeing some SA threads from the past anyway (and rap sheets are always fun) so I'll treat myself soon.

Thanks again pokeyman!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

clicking the link to the archived thread just posted using 1.8 gave me the first occurrence I've seen of a thread name not loading in. I've got archives and it worked fine other than that.

e: forgot the app crops images automatically and it cut out where you'd see the title there anyways..

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

We fixed that in 1.9 :)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Never mind, didn't realize you could tap to make the blue top bar go away in the photo viewer.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Why rush to 2.0? Just call the next version 1.10. It's a version number, not a decimal.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

This app is amazing. Thanks to everyone involved for all of your hard work! Is there any chance of a search function happening, or is here a way to search now that I just don't realize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

Why rush to 2.0? Just call the next version 1.10. It's a version number, not a decimal.

This app has had so many major changes but has stayed at 1.x for so long that I'm starting to hope we never go to 2.0.

• Locked thread