Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MrTheDevious posted:

Fastest noob leveling of all time. We were a force of nature, sir.

It takes more AA then a Silver account allows to make an SK capable of swarming (cap is 1000; my SK has about 500, mostly in damage mitigation), and I doubt that I would be that courageous anyway.

Nevertheless, kudos to you - sounds impressive in any event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

JustJeff88 posted:

It takes more AA then a Silver account allows to make an SK capable of swarming (cap is 1000; my SK has about 500, mostly in damage mitigation), and I doubt that I would be that courageous anyway.

Nevertheless, kudos to you - sounds impressive in any event.

It doesn't if he's still 80. I started swarming in PoFire at 600 or so and it wasn't very hard at all. You'll want at least your 1.5 and preferably your 2.0 though or it's not going to be very efficient. You can knock out another 500 to cap at 1k by swarming PoFire in 2-3 days

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MrTheDevious posted:

It doesn't if he's still 80. I started swarming in PoFire at 600 or so and it wasn't very hard at all. You'll want at least your 1.5 and preferably your 2.0 though or it's not going to be very efficient. You can knock out another 500 to cap at 1k by swarming PoFire in 2-3 days

I'll think about that - my SK does indeed have his 2.0, not that he uses it as his main weapon anymore.

It would be fun to try, at the very least. He has max CS/CA for his level, so where else does one put AA after that?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

I'll think about that - my SK does indeed have his 2.0, not that he uses it as his main weapon anymore.

It would be fun to try, at the very least. He has max CS/CA for his level, so where else does one put AA after that?

Max all your riposte AAs, all the lifetap-based/crit lifetap ones, buff duration ones (for Mortal Coil extension), and most importantly max Mortal Coil. The basic idea is pretty simple, just takes some practice and deaths.

First, run around the castle in PoFire and gather up some mobs. If you do it right, you're technically capable of handling every mob in the zone just as easily as taking 10-15, but start on the small side until you get the feel for the technique since you'll have more leeway with fewer mobs. Once you've got your swarm chasing after you, find a corner and squish yourself into it. Turn around, wait for swarm to be 4-5 sec away or so, then click 2.0. Then you have the duration of the 2.0 to kill off enough mobs to get a Mortal Coil proc, which is basically 2.0's effect. If your 2.0 is about to wear off and you haven't gotten an MC proc yet, FD or you're probably going to take it in the rear end in under 2 seconds once the 2.0 effect fades.

From there, it's just a matter of waiting on all the mobs to kill themselves on you while balancing keeping MC up through the whole fight. You learn a lot of little tricks as you do it more, but the big ticket for me was dropping all my instant DOTs onto each mob in my extended target window so 5-6 would die ASAP and hopefully proc MC. Once MC is up, I try to balance damage across the rest of the mobs so that when I've got 20-30 sec of MC left, I've got another 6 or so about to die, so I could get another proc. After the second proc, they're mostly all so close to dead that you just sit there letting everything hit you until it all dies.

You're gonna die many, many times at first getting used to it, but it's totally worth learning. Plus it makes you feel totally badass. People who've never seen it before ALWAYS react with a "Holy loving poo poo" :black101:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Some of the little tricks:

Shrink yourself twice. This will force any mob into your melee range to hit you.

No lev. It WILL gently caress up your positioning.

Use you instant dots like above.

Don't cast anything over .5s, the dps/heal loss from not riposting isn't worth it. Spearing things to help get MC procs can be worthwhile though.

If you're about to lose epic or MC, you're not actually hosed yet. Leachcourse disc and Deflection (Don't forget to switch to a shield!) will each buy you another 3-4 ticks. Chain taps and nukes during deflection to try burning down a couple mobs for an MC proc. And HT can be used to get a quick kill for another shot at MC. With all discs and clickies up, you can survive for about a minute while bridging MC procs.

You want a good corner that you can't be pushed out of and won't allow mobs to get on your side. You can also just use an open field and tap reposition yourself to stay in range if the swarm doesn't summon. You won't be able to cast and you'll leave a line of corpses as you get shoved across the zone.

I try to carry an MC proc from the end of one swarm into the start of the next. Assuming you can get a decent pull done in 60s. If you can keep chaining MC across pulls, that lets you save epic for briding MCs gaps.

You're going to die. A lot.

The whole swarming concept is really cool. You're pretty much running an average on damage intake Vs lifeleech riposte damage/healing with your hp total there to cover your rear end on damage spikes. With 100 things swinging at you, the damage intake tends to be pretty smooth. Of course, you can just get spiked and killed because, hey, 100 things are hitting you.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
RIP the goonrush, hope another one happens on Luclin one day. Getting a mage to 70ish with a 2.0, and getting my 11 year old paladin his 1.0 was a blast. Shame it wasn't long enough to get him a 2.0, but good times :unsmith:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Let's start another goon rush next year. I'm in.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Maybe we better space it out so we don't end up fighting for PoFire swarms again..lol. Then again with the AA boost increase it shouldn't take nearly as long to hit 1500...
And yeah, I'm down for some EQ. FML I just reinstalled WoW and it feels so dirty.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I keep trying to play on Test but it's so boring playing by yourself.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I know it goes against the goon way of doing things, but I think that if you want to actually enjoy the game, play on a highly populated server and be willing to spend the subscription fee for gold once you've reached the higher levels.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

ponzicar posted:

I know it goes against the goon way of doing things, but I think that if you want to actually enjoy the game, play on a highly populated server and be willing to spend the subscription fee for gold once you've reached the higher levels.
You're right and I'd prefer that too, but I've gotten so used to multiboxing, so much that even "only" 2-boxing feels lame, and paying for 3 or 4 gold subs is just madness. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pilsner posted:

You're right and I'd prefer that too, but I've gotten so used to multiboxing, so much that even "only" 2-boxing feels lame, and paying for 3 or 4 gold subs is just madness. :(

How long til they start offering "3 for the price of 2" Gold memberships? :D

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pilsner posted:

I'm in the same boat. I just want to have a godly 3box team, but it's absolutely miserable trying to grind through to the end game without anyone to group with, and I'm definitely not paying $45 a month.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ponzicar posted:

Isn't Luclin a moderately well-populated server? I mean by modern standards- it's still a ghost town compared to days of yore when the world was much smaller and player/server counts much higher.

If I ever do start another character, I am seriously thinking about doing a thing where I level up the toon only in old-world zones until level 50, then moving to Kunark/Velious, then after that I'll just see how I feel. I really think that the revamped old-world zones are very well done, and I didn't actually spend a lot of time in hotspots like Blackburrow and Guk back when I started just after Kunark.

Silver accounts can't start in old-world cities (CR only, which I hate), but I can just have my druid swoop in and port my little guy to wherever his home faction is housed.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Firiona vie(aka Somalia) is populated enough again. No drop means you can buy whatever you want in the bazaar, making things easier, and there is an experience bonus for playing here. It is not a ghost town like it was last year. Please goon rush my server this year, I can help establish goons on this server as I have a bard, ranger, wizard, and shadowknight who are all level 95 or above.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

RCarr posted:

I'm in the same boat. I just want to have a godly 3box team, but it's absolutely miserable trying to grind through to the end game without anyone to group with, and I'm definitely not paying $45 a month.

You play on Test, right? What level are your guys?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Pon de Bundy posted:

Firiona vie(aka Somalia) is populated enough again. No drop means you can buy whatever you want in the bazaar, making things easier, and there is an experience bonus for playing here. It is not a ghost town like it was last year. Please goon rush my server this year, I can help establish goons on this server as I have a bard, ranger, wizard, and shadowknight who are all level 95 or above.

Also on FV. I'd never play on another server. You can use old gear as hand-me-downs and it makes the bazaar much more interesting.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

RCarr posted:

Let's start another goon rush next year. I'm in.

We gotta start later this time! I'm moving to Chile in April and will have no EQ time until June or so :(

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I play on cazic, and with the new expansion, the population seems to have picked up quite a bit. I'd imagine paying for gold and the newest expansions on multiple accounts would get expensive though. I don't box; I find that being social with other players works well enough, especially since using the right mercenaries means that any two classes are enough to start a group.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Also on FV and agree I would never leave. Being able to buy your way through the game helps if you don't feel like raiding or camping stuff for ridiculous amounts of time, and the population is decent enough that there are some opportunities to group and such if you want (it's cliquey but I imagine thats basically any eq server: decade old game and all). Raids exist, butnot bleeding edge content and always feels an expansion or two back unless you're in the one endgame raid guild (Unless that changed recently). For the average player I would say FV is pretty rad. My mentality is basically, "who cares if you can't raid the newest and greatest. It's everquest and raiding is about as fun as having a cavity filled."

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 11, 2012

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I can't imagine playing EQ without raiding. And not even having a current raid guild on the server would be awful.

Being able to spend millions on the crappy raid drops isn't the same as just being able to get them for yourself and your alts.

Also, there's no more free transfers to FV cause of scammers. So Somalia is harder to get into and still impossible to get out of.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I don't know, its just never been an issue for me. I've always been good at playing the economy game and found the stuff I could buy to be pretty decent for the group content and quests I wanted to do. Stuff like conch of the tides and claws of the orc lord might not be poo poo to people raiding current content, but it makes grouping up with a few buddies and doing other stuff pretty easy. Outside of some t3-t4 nameds, a buddy and I were able to do pretty much all of the VoA group progression and cheeves and thats really as far as I care to play in everquest. Don't goonrushes generally just get to about level 80 before quitting anyway?

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 11, 2012

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Nah us core bros who play every spring all made it 91-95 this time.

Also gently caress Somalia :colbert:

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Not Grover posted:

The most important thing is to /autojoin serverwide.gchat:fygm and then /join the channel. I believe the goon guild went under because of seasonal drop offs in people playing, but you can always join Black Dragon Legion, which is a pretty huge guild full of people who are relatively helpful. My characters are in that guild (and I'm an officer, but that doesn't really mean anything) so if you just go in the lobby and ask in general or send a random member a tell, you can get an invite no prob and have access to guild bank/portal/etc.

What is your in game name goon sir?

I am Brio: Bard of the family Flux! I've come for your wine and women! (role play optional)

MrTheDevious posted:

Done.

Rainbow_Horse fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 11, 2012

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What level do I need to be for the MGBs that go out in the guild lobby to start sticking? Took me a while to remember why it wasn't working.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

As far as I know the "Kronos" items are still set to be a thing in the future. They are planned to be an out of game purchased item that grants a month subscription when used in-game, and are tradeable.

Who knows what the bazaar cost may be like on those, but for someone with plat to burn it might make a viable method of subscription supplementing.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

jetz0r posted:

I can't imagine playing EQ without raiding. And not even having a current raid guild on the server would be awful.

Being able to spend millions on the crappy raid drops isn't the same as just being able to get them for yourself and your alts.

Also, there's no more free transfers to FV cause of scammers. So Somalia is harder to get into and still impossible to get out of.

I would guess most goons want to revisit some old content for nostalgia and finish epics, not kill some stupid anime space aliens in the latest expansion. It's much easier to crush those old zones when you can buy a full set of Solteris raid gear at 75 for 75k.

FV is a net time saver.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Devor posted:

What level do I need to be for the MGBs that go out in the guild lobby to start sticking? Took me a while to remember why it wasn't working.

There's some weird and stupid scaling on what level buffs stick you to you from 46-61. Sub-50 buffs for sub-61 and anything for 61+ is all I remember.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Firiona vie needs an image change. Somalia doesn't fit it's current state, we should be upgraded to ATLEAST Yemen.

Also gently caress you guys, come to Somalia. Oh god I did it again.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

No, it's still Somalia because it's the libertarian paradise server.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

jetz0r posted:

No, it's still Somalia because it's the libertarian paradise server.

Rapture :smug:

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
When are new hotzone scheduled to hit, that is all I really want to know if Im going to spend any time on Zek in the near future :(

Rainbow_Horse
Apr 23, 2002

Libertarian Paradise = Extremist Muslims?

I agree in the context of EverQuest.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I Love You! posted:

When are new hotzone scheduled to hit
It's EQ. The answer to any question like that is "nobody knows, maybe within a few years or ten, possibly never, and it'll be tied with station cash or an expansion that you must buy".

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

Nah us core bros who play every spring all made it 91-95 this time.

I'm one of the 80-something losers :(. But hey, we're all losers since we're not 100 now, right? I wonder if they'll keep upping the max level. I liked it when EQ expansions didn't always increase the max level.

I'm tempted to fire it back up and transfer to test. Playing on Luclin would be me playing solo anyways (and what it had turned into, which is why I stopped). But there's still a lot of the world I wanted to explore, and for post-80 I think you really need gold, and screw subs. I think I could find it enjoyable for a month or two again.

Is there ANY grouping on test at all? What do you copy over with again?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

unclenutzzy posted:

You play on Test, right? What level are your guys?

I have a 85 Monk, 85 Enchanter, and a 75 Mage. I recently started a 3box team of SK, Bard, Shaman and they are all level 71.

cycomatix
Apr 23, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm on test with a friend, though we haven't been too active as of late. 93 Rogue, 92 Bard, SK, Shaman. FV is amazing for the Bazaar, but at this point, I rather get the exp bonus and free gold accounts.

You can make a copy of your character to test with the /testcopy command.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Bring back old school Firiona Vie rules, only 1 character per account, and people from different alignments can't group together :colbert:

Also ye olde roleplayers and dark elf women lesbian guilds.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!
I'll definitely start back up in spring with a 2 or 3 box; had way too much fun with goons last year, especially with the fabled stuff while levelling my mains. I probably need to get a jump start though since I'm only 86 or 87 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

cycomatix posted:

You can make a copy of your character to test with the /testcopy command.

Sorry, I phrased that bad. I meant, what do you keep from your character? Is it 100% everything? As in, all your gear, pp, stuff in your bank, etc?