Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
1995 BMW 530i

So I was working on getting my twisted seat back fixed today. I'm not sure exactly how, but the seat switch on the passenger side popped open and spilled its guts out.

I think I got everything. :v:

The local pull 'n' save happened to have an e34 5 series, so I was in luck with a new seat switch. I even snagged the "i" from the trunk because mine was missing for some reason.

But oh poo poo, I guess they switched to an italic "i" at some point. Oh well, on it goes anyway.

EDIT: I found enough change under the seats to pay the $1.50 entrance charge. :smug:

EDIT 2: Guess what my Secret Santa is getting!

Asshole Bicycle fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

1995 BMW 530i

So I was working on getting my twisted seat back fixed today. I'm not sure exactly how, but the seat switch on the passenger side popped open and spilled its guts out.

The local pull 'n' save happened to have an e34 5 series, so I was in luck with a new seat switch. I even snagged the "i" from the trunk because mine was missing for some reason.

But oh poo poo, I guess they switched to an italic "i" at some point. Oh well, on it goes anyway.

EDIT: I found enough change under the seats to pay the $1.50 entrance charge. :smug:

Holy poo poo, It looks like an automatic valve body and all the little ball bearings fell out.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

rear end in a top hat Bicycle posted:

1995 BMW 530i

I had a switch go bad on my old Continental that looked pretty much like that when I took it apart in an attempt to fix it. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly prepared for that. Who expects that kind of voodoo in a loving seat switch? Yeah, it didn't get fixed.

For content - the truck got a new set of shoes today, which should hopefully last a good long time. Awesome discount from a buddy who works at Continental, too. :whatup: The truck is a few miles shy of 178k now, and will likely be a massive pile of poo poo by the time these need replacement.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Removed the CDV on my 2009 3 series. I had done this on my 2006, so the factory restrictor was driving me insane. Also changed the oil and put on snow tires.

I had done the oil on the 2006 at my normal time, and got lucky with finding the 2009, and had to do it again. :negative:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Let's see. This year...

one of those years
Front main seal - no

Distributor o-ring - no

Vacuum/refill of a/c - would be $320 if I had that $ to burn.

Tires: $~350 for a pair. x2.

Brake pads: ~$50 / pair. x2.

Serpentine belt: ~$80

Battery: $140

Camber / castor kit: $550?

Alignments: ~$300

Distributor cap / rotor: $80ish I think.

Coil: $65?

Coolant: maybe $100

Spark plugs: $70

Registration $640

Probably a lot more I forget.

Paid $6400? for the car 3 1/2 years ago... on the plus side, it should break 300k km with nothing beyond basic maintenance at this point. I hope. :ohdear:

Yes I butchered your post. Hope it makes you feel a little better.

e: forgot the tie rod. Don't remember how much that was.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 8, 2012

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
New brake pads on the Saturn, that job was too easy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

General_Failure posted:

Vacuum/refill of a/c - would be $320 if I had that $ to burn.

The vacuum/fill was so cheap because it was already fully charged, but I suspected it had moisture in it (previous owner changed the compressor at some point, but the receiver/dryer is original). Also, I'm friends with the shop owner, so that helps.

Turns out it was slightly overcharged. Oops. Probably going to swap the compressor before next summer since the clutch on it is going out (complete reman compressor is cheaper than just the clutch), also swap the receiver/dryer, and might try this R-152a stuff.

e: VVV my point is I didn't have to pay for any refrigerant, the machine they used runs it through a desiccant and pumps it back in.. :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 9, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

The vacuum/fill was so cheap because it was already fully charged, but I suspected it had moisture in it (previous owner changed the compressor at some point, but the receiver/dryer is original). Also, I'm friends with the shop owner, so that helps.

Turns out it was slightly overcharged. Oops. Probably going to swap the compressor before next summer since the clutch on it is going out (complete reman compressor is cheaper than just the clutch), also swap the receiver/dryer, and might try this R-152a stuff.

The compressor still turns and I can still hear air-con-y noises but no cold air blows. It's the carbon tax plus other BS that bumps the price right up.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I put the winter wheels on my car today, and not a minute too soon (the snow started about a week ago, actually).

Now I guess I'll find out how good a set of Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grips are when they're 3-4 years old and have about 4mm of tread left.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Gave it a wash and took a few pics to put up on a for sale ad

Still looks pretty good through a camera lens

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I put the winter wheels on my car today, and not a minute too soon (the snow started about a week ago, actually).

Now I guess I'll find out how good a set of Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grips are when they're 3-4 years old and have about 4mm of tread left.

I was just about to mock your poor 406, and tell you that my 406 feels sorry for it. This is clearly not the case. gently caress open carports and horizontal snowstorms :(

Poor TS6 thing has nothing on your TS4. Well, besides a real engine ;)

Show your car this photo and tell it things will eventually be ok again:

They're so cute together.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 9, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm about to run out and pick something up that will greatly help wintertime performance on my Redline; will post details soon.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm about to run out and pick something up that will greatly help wintertime performance on my Redline; will post details soon.

I bet it's flame decals or fake hood vents.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sir Cornelius posted:

I bet it's flame decals or fake hood vents.

:ssh: I said that it'd increase wintertime performance, not add HP. :ssh:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

That's actually pretty sexy, but get this instead.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Subzero-Winter-Mitt-Scraper/19232318

I have what you linked, and I think a few of my fingers are still attached to it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

I've used these as Halloween props. :shobon:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Viggen posted:

I've used these as Halloween props. :shobon:

There's absolutely no reason to not look like an axe-murdering maniac while you battle the snow.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I got a new ride! Well, not really. It has four wheels and a motor though. Found another old Rover Regal mower. Only this one is a 4 stroke outputting 4HP provided by a 183CC B&S engine. It had good compression so I took it home. After a little fiddling got it to kick and run if only barely. It may have some carb issues but the core motor is great. No smoke. It also had fresh oil and a squeaky clean big canister filter.

So the dump has a no scavenging rule. I wasn't scavenging. It was right there next to where I dumped the old fridge. Nobody would think twice about a mower in a landscaping trailer anyway.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Sir Cornelius posted:

There's absolutely no reason to not look like an axe-murdering maniac while you battle the snow.

Or for stalking some anonymous person on the internet, right? :haw:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Viggen posted:

Or for stalking some anonymous person on the internet, right? :haw:

Creeper.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Says you. Creeper.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

Poor TS6 thing has nothing on your TS4. Well, besides a real engine ;)

Your engine sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Go change the rear spark plugs ;)

And battling the snow? I let science and chemistry (and a cheap foldable snow shovel) take care of it for me.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Go change the rear spark plugs ;)

Please, not again. Pretty please. There's no more room for frozen blood down there.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Today, I said goodbye.

Mrs. Dr.Smasher rolled it. 4 staples in her head, which, all things considered, is pretty good. They had to Jaws of Life the drivers side door off.

It was a good truck. It was a good offroader. It died so my wife can live. It still starts, so it's Toyota Hilux Diesel tough!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Dr.Smasher posted:

Today, I said goodbye.

Mrs. Dr.Smasher rolled it. 4 staples in her head, which, all things considered, is pretty good. They had to Jaws of Life the drivers side door off.

It was a good truck. It was a good offroader. It died so my wife can live. It still starts, so it's Toyota Hilux Diesel tough!

:stare: thank god your wife is alright, that looks pretty bad

mind if i ask how it was rolled? just a bad patch of ice and then... what?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:gonk: Goddamn. Glad she's relatively unscathed.

Burn it with fire, if it still starts only then can you call it Hilux tough

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This is now the third dakota i've seen rolled. :gonk:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

The bull bar did its job - it protected the headlight assembly.

Glad to hear the injuries are not too serious.

EDIT: quoting just a picture from that series makes your username seem more appropriate, somehow.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Glad your wife is okay Dr. Smasher!

Today I did nothing to it. But I did order some of that r134a substitute gas with the filler thingy and gauge from the U.S.

If it arrives I'll post a trip report on how well the top up went. Again, gently caress $320 to top up the refrigerant.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The impact point just above the drivers head is loving terrifying.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Chinatown posted:

The impact point just above the drivers head is loving terrifying.

Every time someone posts a rolled vehicle, I think "Yep, my tall rear end would be dead."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Molten Llama posted:

Every time someone posts a rolled vehicle, I think "Yep, my tall rear end would be dead."
You know, they made a Dakota convertible...

You'd still be dead but you'd look drat good on the way out.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Molten Llama posted:

Not necessarily. When I rolled my bluebird I got driven through the bottom of the seat. As said earlier / elsewhere my head also made sweet love to the door sill, seatbelt top point and rear view mirror. My neck does sound like a pepper grinder sometimes but I survived.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You know, they made a Dakota convertible...

You'd still be dead but you'd look drat good on the way out.

I saw one of these driving around Worcester Mass a while ago. Definite head turner, I thought it was an owner-installed hack at first.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Bob NewSCART posted:

:stare: thank god your wife is alright, that looks pretty bad

mind if i ask how it was rolled? just a bad patch of ice and then... what?

Black ice where bridge concrete and earth-based road concrete meet, by a highway exit. She was in the right lane, it started sliding left, crossed a median, flipped and rolled somewhere along the way, landed on its wheels. The cop said that if she was going any faster, the truck would've slid down the embankment into the offramp. She did go for some opposite lock to correct it, but I don't know if she over corrected or what. She only remembers the initial slide and being loaded onto the backboard by the EMTs (not sure if that's the technical term), nothing in between.

Other lovely thing is that we only carried Liability on it, so... yay, $5k in medical costs that we won't need to worry about. I won't see a dime to actually replace the truck.

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices

Jesus, this brings back horrible memories when I flipped my 94 supra on to a tree (I was young and stupid). Glad to hear your wife is okay.

From last night's incredibly difficult suspension install; I swear the lower shock bolts had loctite on them since I managed to kill a breaker bar trying to pop them loose. I installed a downpipe a few days ago and I'll be attempting on the up pipe either today or tomorrow, depending if I hate myself enough to do it.

VVV yes they are, thanks!

Duckjob fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 13, 2012

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Are those rims CCWs? They looks great.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I havn't been doing much to my ride, other than keeping it on the road. Instead, I have been working on my friends toys, and trying to get him motivated enough to actually finish one. He has been at an impasse for a while now, all three toys need custom frames. While he is a respectable welder, he doesnt quite feel comfortable tackling a project like that. So, given that I have a lot free time right now, am bored out of my mind, and want to do something cool, I said I would help.

Project 1- 1960 something mud bog jeep. Cut and widened over 2 feet, on a chevy frame with a longblock thrown on. Will be having the front frame rails cut off and replaced with lower, wider boxed frame to drop the engine. This is the closest to being finished, all the body work is pretty much wrapped, just needs the frame and a blower strapped to the motor.

Project 2- 49' Studebaker drag truck. This thing has been sitting on the back burner for over a decade. Needs to have the rear end chopped up for the suspension, engine build. He likes the height as it is now, and that is the rear axle bolted directly too the frame. A lot of work has gone into chopping this truck, and it needs to be one the road. I am probably most excited about working on it.

Project 3- 1920's ford rat rod. This just showed up a few days ago, and it is what is currently being worked on. The body is complete garbage, the frame is decent. Plan is to box the frame, chop out the rear to get it low, and drive it after receiving tetanus boosters.

This is the beginning of the new rear end, and where I come in. The owner plans on hitting up the local pick and pull for a couple of semi truck cab airbags tomorrow, and we will start the process of putting the ford 9" rear end under it. The plan is also to put some sort of kooky engine in it. I am voting for a diesel.

JerseyDevil
Jun 26, 2009
I was commuting to work this morning when I drove it over some debris that was in the road. I was changing lanes, the guy in front of me swerved to avoid the beam or whatever it was, so I didn't see it until the last second. I swerved, but caught the driver's side front tire:

It looked like a metal girder or something. It was huge, probably the size of a 4x4 piece of lumber, and maybe 2 feet long.

I think I'm going to have to replace the rim :(

(Excuse the cell phone pics and the salt crust on the car, it's been gross around here lately)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That wheel is repairable. The tire, not so much.