Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I prefer to put the film in a baggie and shove it into my rectum to warm up, it is the only way the film seems to develop without problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mannequin posted:

She said my film might look a little "artsy" :mad:

93 problems but an art ain't one

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

8th-samurai posted:

It is not because you stored it at room temperature for a little while. Other explanations include: the lab hosed up, the film company hosed up, the film was incorrectly stored by the store you bought it at, you don't get shooting slides, that person really has a skin tone of concrete , someone sneaked into your apt and microwaved your film, the proper sacrifices were not made to the elder gods, the air in New Jersey is literally toxic to art, your camera lens suddenly became a new color, the illuminati has planted agents in the area and taking their photo reveals their true face, etc.

This may very well be a picture of me. HAHAHA.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Good lord, why? What possible advantage could there be for this? :psyduck:

Thermal intertia of the metal camera body causing the film to warm slower, I'm told.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I'm going to get a camera made out of dry ice. Sure I'll lose some skin shooting it but it will be worth it for the stone cold arts.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
"Your pictures are simply sublime, my dear"

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

"Your pictures are simply sublime, my dear"

This post will be edited to the Citizen Kane clapping gif when I'm not on my phone.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 2, 2012

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

SoundMonkey posted:

Thermal intertia of the metal camera body causing the film to warm slower, I'm told.

"Thermal inertia" :psyboom:

The only thing that might happen is that your battery might not work quite as well until your camera heats back up to room temperature...

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

penneydude posted:

"Thermal inertia" :psyboom:

The only thing that might happen is that your battery might not work quite as well until your camera heats back up to room temperature...

Actually the quantum fluctuations in the metal will discombobulate the outer electron shells during the thermal transition causing your film to be buffered against the negative de-excitation caused by the thermal cascade from beyond the insulatory boundary.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got some proper snap-off metal refillable film canisters today. What a night and day difference from the plastic ones that Freestyle sells.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

Actually the quantum fluctuations in the metal will discombobulate the outer electron shells during the thermal transition causing your film to be buffered against the negative de-excitation caused by the thermal cascade from beyond the insulatory boundary.

Mhmm, oh yea yeah yeah. I know some of these words. Esp discombobulate, yes, yeees.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ordered a box of (slightly expired) Rollei Advanced Technical Ortho 135 from Macodirect. Looking forward to trying that. (Hopefully I'll have a chance to develop something myself, I'd rather not send "odd" films like that off to a lab.)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

This post will be edited to the Citizen Kane clapping gif when I'm not on my phone.

:toxx:

Still un-animated.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's playing for me.

\/ I'm on chrome and it's fine

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 5, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Musket posted:

:toxx:

Still un-animated.

you're using chrome aren't you

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

you're using chrome aren't you

Click it to make it animate if it isn't because Google is too busy playing in their ball pit and doing wacky monkeycheese side projects to stoop to fixing simple bugs in Chrome or several-year-old bugs in Android.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
FYI to fix the non animating thing in Chrome which sucks balls, you just need to go into the plugins settings (about:plugins) and if you have two flash player things installed, disable the chrome one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I have Chrome and that is animated just fine, with no special setting changes. How did you scrubs manage to break your browsers?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Works fine for me using Chromium. :smuggo:

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Mr. Despair posted:

But you don't want your film to be cold when you shoot it, or it's going to be underexposed. Buffering it against the negative de-excitation caused by the thermal cascade from beyond the insulatory barrier is, like...not ideal. :pseudo:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

8th-samurai posted:

I have Chrome and that is animated just fine, with no special setting changes. How did you scrubs manage to break your browsers?

Mine worked fine for ages, and then one day randomly stopped making gifs animate.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

penneydude posted:

But you don't want your film to be cold when you shoot it, or it's going to be underexposed. Buffering it against the negative de-excitation caused by the thermal cascade from beyond the insulatory barrier is, like...not ideal. :pseudo:

Does that mean I might have underexposed when I went out shooting snowy landscapy stuff last Saturday? :ohdear:
(Going to find out on Monday!)

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Depends on how you had your flux capacitor set.

Really though, none of that was supposed to make any sense. Your shots will be fine.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Vert by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Smart Sharpen, used carefully, is a very handy tool to make sure sharpening a tough-to-sharpen photo doesn't make it look worse.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 8, 2012

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

this one is gorgeous. great job!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Town by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

RIP Zeiss Ikon (if mirrorlessrumors.com is to be believed)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

Ordered a box of (slightly expired) Rollei Advanced Technical Ortho 135 from Macodirect. Looking forward to trying that. (Hopefully I'll have a chance to develop something myself, I'd rather not send "odd" films like that off to a lab.)

Apparently the emulsion of Rollei ATO is red. I did not expect that. (On the other hand, since sensitivation to various wavelengths as far as I know is done with dyes, it might make sense.)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So my 12 year old wanted a Holga this Christmas. Rather than unleash another hipster on the world I figured I'd get her an old range finder so she could cut her film teeth cheaply. I found a Yashica Electro 35, got a battery, verified everything worked, and ran a test roll through it. That's where things got ugly.

Everything's blurring, like the shutter was left open too long. But I handhold down to 60th of a second on a DSL no problem so that doesn't make sense. Every shot was like this. Is the lens hosed?

There's also a red line along that top, but that appears to be a printing problem. I didn't see it on the negatives that I scanned in. Unfortunately the blurriness was still there on the scans.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The rangefinder could be miscalibrated. Is anything in focus on any photo?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

eggsovereasy posted:

The rangefinder could be miscalibrated. Is anything in focus on any photo?

It looks like shake, not misfocus-blur.

Does the shutter speed sound right when you fire the camera?
Have you tried taking some photos with the camera on a tripod/stable surface?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

It looks like shake, not misfocus-blur.

Does the shutter speed sound right when you fire the camera?
Have you tried taking some photos with the camera on a tripod/stable surface?

I thought it looked more like shake myself. As far as I can tell the shutter speeds sound correct.

The Electro is aperture-priority, so I set the film speed, f/stop, and the camera determines the shutter speed. So it could very well be an issue where the shutter is being left open too long. The photos were a bit over-exposed and that is the most likely point of failure (other than a damaged lens).

I haven't tried a tripod and honestly if that's the case then the camera will just become a paperweight. I can gift one of my existing film cameras to my kid. I just thought this would be easier for her to use. Plus I couldn't think of a camera I was willing to lose to a clumsy child.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Studebaker Hawk posted:

RIP Zeiss Ikon (if mirrorlessrumors.com is to be believed)

Yeah, it's confirmed. It sucks; it's such a great camera and a cheaper alternative to Leica. I'm glad I still have mine, but I wonder if the lenses are gonna go away or if they're going to keep producing them.

I guess now's a good time to replace my neutral diopter since I lost the original at a film festival in Japan.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Drew II by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

HP5+ pushed to 3200. The reduced exposure latitude is a pain in the rear end, but the grain isn't too big an obstacle in 6x7.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New film day in the QoP household

Got a giftcard for my birthday so this was all basically free :woop:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Krispy Kareem posted:

I thought it looked more like shake myself. As far as I can tell the shutter speeds sound correct.

The Electro is aperture-priority, so I set the film speed, f/stop, and the camera determines the shutter speed. So it could very well be an issue where the shutter is being left open too long. The photos were a bit over-exposed and that is the most likely point of failure (other than a damaged lens).

I haven't tried a tripod and honestly if that's the case then the camera will just become a paperweight. I can gift one of my existing film cameras to my kid. I just thought this would be easier for her to use. Plus I couldn't think of a camera I was willing to lose to a clumsy child.

Well, your 12 year old will at least still get that Holga lomo effect in a camera that actually looks cool.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
What would be fair prices to develop 35mm with scans? I bought my first film camera a week ago and just finished up a roll.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

What resolution scans are you looking for? A roll plus scans (1600 long edge I think) at my local Target is 2.99, and the guy in the photo section is competent.

Oh, assuming this is color negative film?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah just a roll of kodak gold to test it out. I also bought expired tmax, superia, agfa 50, and various other stuff.

They generally don't scan high res enough to print off of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Very nice!