Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

lazer_chicken posted:

Yeah I guess they can't really tow but I don't see how an SUV is any better at moving "dirty" things than a CUV. They both have hatches with cargo areas in the back. What's the difference? For really really dirty poo poo only a truck is going to work.

Well, a truck or a cargo trailer. Not that most SUV owners even own a trailer hitch, let alone tow trailers full of manure or something, of course, but then again most SUV owners don't use their SUVs for anything other than commuting. Most people I know who do use an SUV in ways a car wouldn't work for either do a lot of soft-roading/off-roading, and/or they tow stuff like boats, campers, motorcycles, race cars, etc.

I suppose there's nothing stopping you from putting a hitch on a regular car or CUV for a lot of that stuff, since it's not too heavy. Though there could be concerns regarding the strain on the running gear, since trucks tend to be built more heavily. Maybe not as much on modern cars, though?

But yeah, your argument's perfectly reasonable, especially since wagon-body trucks have had carpeting in the back for many years, which kind of eliminates one of the primary differentiating factors of trucks versus cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

It's a shame International Harvester collapsed right before the SUV boom took off; chances are good they'd have made some SUVs that even AI would love.
Travelall?

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

I suppose there's nothing stopping you from putting a hitch on a regular car or CUV for a lot of that stuff, since it's not too heavy. Though there could be concerns regarding the strain on the running gear, since trucks tend to be built more heavily. Maybe not as much on modern cars, though?
Every tiny diesel hatchback in Europe has a tow hitch on it. Americans are just vain and want something big with shiny wheels.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Every tiny diesel hatchback in Europe has a tow hitch on it. Americans are just vain and want something big with shiny wheels.

It's unfortunately not just vanity, most things that aren't trucks here have half of the legal towing limit that they do in Europe or even Canada. I'm not completely sure why, but it could be related to most small trailers here being unbraked, or higher speed limits or something.

Mechanically identical cars can tow different amounts in the US, Europe, Canada, and Australia because of differences in liability laws.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Big shiney wheels, and you know, like...the wheelbase, braking, and the correct rear suspension geometry to tow a 10,000 pound boat but loll you already know that right

We also like for it to give us a false sense of security, and a higher viewpoint so that we dont have to reach up at the fast food drive-thru

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

Big shiney wheels, and you know, like...the wheelbase, braking, and the correct rear suspension geometry to tow a 10,000 pound boat but loll you already know that right

You can do that with a $5k used truck and have an efficient car for your DD if you were really interested in utility.

It's estimated that 5% of American SUVs ever go off-road, it's probably similar for towing boats.

quote:

We also like for it to give us a false sense of security, and a higher viewpoint so that we dont have to reach up at the fast food drive-thru
Well how about you just buy a car with a good crash test rating or actually go sit in a modern sedan? Also fast food drive-thrus are high as gently caress because of vain assholes like you.

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 10, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

It's estimated that 5% of American SUVs ever go off-road, it's probably similar for towing boats.

Well how about you just buy a car with a good crash test rating or actually go sit in a modern sedan? Also fast food drive-thrus are high as gently caress because of vain assholes like you.

The situation is evolving only very slowly, and mostly thanks to fuel economy worries. I don't see any sort of education program working to change the desire for SUVs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They also only allowed tow a maximum of 8-900kg and it must be a braked trailer at that weight. So it's mostly for small 2-300kg trailers, so you can take your garbage to the dumprecycling station, buy large appliances or furniture and so on.

You'll need a towing endorsement for anything heavier than 750kg.

For anything bigger, you're moving into medium/large sedan territory. A Citroën C5 diesel (a good choice because of the active self-leveling suspension) will tow around a 1800kg braked trailer happily.

Need to tow something bigger? You'll need to move into SUV territory, and then you're basically admitting to being a closet American ;)

kimbo305 posted:

The situation is evolving only very slowly, and mostly thanks to fuel economy worries. I don't see any sort of education program working to change the desire for SUVs.

I think it's just an ingrained part of American culture. Bigger is better, so a bigger car must automatically be better.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Hybrid SUVs are peak Americanism.

Publicly displayed desire for good, but unable to understand high school physics.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I remember going on family trips towing a boat through the mountains in a ~'93 Buick LeSabre with a towing package. Do normal sedans even come with those sort of packages from the factory anymore or do people who need to tow a boat just assume cars are suddenly incapable of such feats?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
On a related note, boats get pretty bad fuel economy too, SO gently caress EM!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

You can do that with a $5k used truck and have an efficient car for your DD if you were really interested in utility.

Storage issues aside, the insurance costs will probably make this a far worse proposition.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Weinertron posted:

It's unfortunately not just vanity, most things that aren't trucks here have half of the legal towing limit that they do in Europe or even Canada. I'm not completely sure why, but it could be related to most small trailers here being unbraked, or higher speed limits or something.

Mechanically identical cars can tow different amounts in the US, Europe, Canada, and Australia because of differences in liability laws.

Well, tow ratings are sort of a black art, anyway. A lot of it also probably has to do with different driving conditions and expectations. For instance, in general, the US ratings are focused on highway-speed cruising performance, while in Europe, the tow ratings are based on an expectation of low speed driving (often limited by law to <50 mph or similar) on a smaller range of less steep or otherwise less demanding roads and conditions. Also, the hitch mounting system in Europe is different due to laws on bumpers, etc.. You also have to look at maximum hitch weights versus total max trailer weight, since the former is often really rated low in Europe compared to the US and more likely to be the restrictive factor.

As an example, here's a news article summarizing the SAE's Tow Ratings practice guidelines:
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0912_sae_tow_ratings_finally_pass_sniff_test/viewall.html

quote:

There are five engineering characteristics that strongly influence any tow vehicle's performance:
The engine's power and torque characteristics.
The powertrain's cooling capacity.
The durability of the powertrain and chassis.
Handling characteristics during cornering and braking
maneuvers.
The structural characteristics of the vehicle's hitch attachment area.

Acceleration Performance Requirements
The tow vehicle must meet these level road performance criteria to merit a particular TWR:
Acceleration from zero to 30 mph in 12.0 seconds or less in vehicles with a single rear wheels.
Acceleration from zero to 60 mph in 30.0 seconds or less in vehicles with single rear wheels.
Forty to 60 mph passing acceleration in 18.0 seconds or less in vehicles with single rear wheels.

Grade Launch Requirements
The tow vehicle must be capable of repeatedly moving from rest for a distance of 16 feet on a 12-percent grade in both forward and reverse directions. Five such launches must be accomplished within five minutes in each direction.

Highway Gradeability

To merit a particular TWR, a vehicle must be capable of maintaining a minimum cruising speed while climbing the grade at Davis Dam on state roads 68 and 163 in Arizona and Nevada. This 12-mile-long run originating in Bullhead City, Arizona, involves grades that vary between 3- and 7-percent with an average over 5-percent. During this test, the minimum acceptable ambient temperature is 100-degrees F. and AC systems must be operating on the maximum cold setting with no recirculation and the blower at the highest possible setting.

Single rear wheel vehicles must be able to maintain an average of at least 40 mph on this grade. Dual rear wheel vehicles are required to maintain 35 mph or more here. Dual rear wheel vehicles with a GVWR over 13,000 pounds must maintain at least 30 mph.

To pass these hot-ambient-temperature, steep-grade challenges, there can be no vehicle component failures, no warning lamps, and no diagnostic codes alerting the driver. In addition, the tow vehicle cannot lose any engine coolant. The vehicle under test must be equipped with the lowest numerical axle ratio available from the manufacturer.

No way I'd want to encourage already overweight small cars to be poking along the highway carrying loads they can barely accelerate with.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cream_Filling posted:

No way I'd want to encourage already overweight small cars to be poking along the highway carrying loads they can barely accelerate with.

Wow, color me educated. That's one hell of a torture test, especially being able to do stop and go up a 12% grade and the Nevada dam climbing.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

I bet you don't take your boat to work every day. Well the boat that goes on water, I mean.

Cream_Filling posted:

Storage issues aside, the insurance costs will probably make this a far worse proposition.
No way, I have an old Chevy that costs a few hundred a year to insure liability only. Hint: you can get special insurance for low-use vehicles.

In regards to US vs Europe tow ratings: US trucks don't have to have the same safety ratings as cars and if they're diesel they are exempt from emissions. Pretty sure this has nothing to do with safety or the environment and is purely to sell more trucks.

Cream_Filling posted:

Lol no one is talking about towing a boat with a Corolla. However why not tow a boat with a big V6 or V8 sedan like davebo used to do with his family?

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 10, 2012

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Lol no one is talking about towing a boat with a Corolla. However why not tow a boat with a big V6 or V8 sedan like davebo used to do with his family?

probably because the towing rating for a 1993 Buick Regal is most likely south of 3500 pounds, and if you get into an accident towing more than that, you can be held liable?

Anyway, I think you're preaching to the choir here for the most part. The vast majority of AI is against the wanton huge SUV/truck that never gets used for it's intended purpose fad that Americans are complicit in.

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 10, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

As an example, here's a news article summarizing the SAE's Tow Ratings practice guidelines:
http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0912_sae_tow_ratings_finally_pass_sniff_test/viewall.html

Goddamn. :stare: No wonder the tow ratings are so powertrain dependent; while having the same brakes and chassis, my 4cyl manual Ranger is only rated for 2000lb of trailer weight, while a 4.0 is rated for up to 9500lb with an automatic and 3.55 gears.

If I had the 3.45 axle instead of the 3.73, it wouldn't even be rated to tow anything at all!

Now that I think about it, I do think the 4.0 trucks get an 8.8" rear end and the 4cyl trucks don't, so there is that...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream_Filling posted:

You also have to look at maximum hitch weights versus total max trailer weight, since the former is often really rated low in Europe compared to the US and more likely to be the restrictive factor.

In the EU the legally minimum weight required on the hitch is 4% of the trailer's weight or 25kg. Maximum hitch weight is generally recommended at around 100kg for most things to not completely smash the rear suspension of the tow vehicle. Bigger 3000kg+ trailers obviously need more hitch weight than that.

I've seen loads of pictures of trailers in the US putting almost all the weight on the hitch, so there's definitely a difference in how things are measured and legally required. Fifth wheels are a different matter, they're obviously designed for it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 10, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

No way, I have an old Chevy that costs a few hundred a year to insure liability only. Hint: you can get special insurance for low-use vehicles.
Even then, the insurance costs tend to be high. And it's not a great idea to get the minimum liability coverage and nothing else, especially since an accident while towing is probably going to be more dangerous to others and may open you up to greater liability. It also means you basically have to drive a worthless car without collision or comprehensive coverage, since you will have to eat the loss if there's an accident or it's stolen, etc.

In regards to US vs Europe tow ratings: US trucks don't have to have the same safety ratings as cars and if they're diesel they are exempt from emissions. Pretty sure this has nothing to do with safety or the environment and is purely to sell more trucks.

What? You're wrong about emissions:
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/ld_t2.php#intro

They don't sell sedans with a towing package option much anymore. Usually, a tow package on something like that would be stuff like transmission and oil coolers, upgraded brakes, maybe some suspension stuff, etc. Rated towing capacity on a new Camry is like 1000 pounds. 2000 for a big V8 sedan like the Dodge Charger. Probably primarily because the mounting for the hitch isn't very strong, they're both pretty fat to begin with and don't have a ton of room on their GVWRs (i.e. powertrain/suspension), and the whole thing is basically an afterthought anyway.

Not that you couldn't tow back when they actually bothered to engineer stuff in. I know a friend who bought a POS old Cadillac for towing. Rated tow capacity on an old 90s Cadillac Fleetwood with optional tow package was like 7000 lbs - probably because it was loving 19 feet (5.7 meters) long and weighed 4700 lbs.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 10, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wonderllama posted:

We're all hosed when the ice caps melt.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream_Filling posted:

Rated towing capacity on a new Camry is like 1000 pounds. 2000 for a big V8 sedan like the Dodge Charger. Probably primarily because the mounting for the hitch isn't very strong, they're both pretty fat to begin with and don't have a ton of room on their GVWRs, and the whole thing is basically an afterthought anyway.

See, this is what I don't get. My car is within 100kg of a new Camry's curb weight, yet it has more than twice the towing capacity, higher than the Charger's, even. It won't be a rocket ship, but it'll drat well do it all day.

I think towing capacities are artificially low on normal cars sold in the US, because "Eh, they'll just buy a truck anyway".

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KozmoNaut posted:

See, this is what I don't get. My car is within 100kg of a new Camry's curb weight, yet it has more than twice the towing capacity, higher than the Charger's, even. It won't be a rocket ship, but it'll drat well do it all day.

I think towing capacities are artificially low on normal cars sold in the US, because "Eh, they'll just buy a truck anyway".

I believe the bottleneck is the strength of the mount for the trailer hitch, and since it's not body on frame anymore, it's harder to engineer that in. You also can't just stick it onto the bumper like they do in Europe because of our bumper laws. Especially since most Americans will be towing with a truck, so probably it's not worth the extra cost in time and weight of engineering a mount point there and then adding more complexity to the ordering system to have it as an option, since the take rate is probably tiny. Add in wiring, maybe some uprated brakes, and a transmission cooler, and you're looking at at least a $500-1000 option package that nobody will want, and will probably make your dealers hate you. Either that or an additional couple dollars in cost/complexity and a few ounces of weight to build in the reinforced mount point on every single car, which then translates to an additional cost of millions of dollars since you're selling millions of cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 10, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cream_Filling posted:

I believe the bottleneck is the strength of the mount for the trailer hitch, and since it's not body on frame anymore, it's harder to engineer that in. You also can't just stick it onto the bumper like they do in Europe because of our bumper laws.

On my car it's mounted directly to the unibody with a bigass U-shaped frame, made from 10mm (1/2 inch?) steel. I don't think I've ever seen a hitch mounted directly to the bumper, I'm pretty sure that's illegal here too.

But yeah, you probably have to engineer a stronger rear section into your car if it's going to be used to towing. I can see why some manufacturers wouldn't bother, but I still think it's mostly a legal issue.

Looking at tow ratings for the Camry, I see ratings from 450kg to 1600kg, with no rhyme or reason to engine size or transmission. It's the same car, but depending on where it's sold, it can tow more or less. My Panda could tow more than 450kg, so to think a Camry can't is just crazy.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
I wouldn't want to tow a competition ski boat behind a sedan or a wagon, personally. And our Ridgeline goes off-road pretty much every day at the several-hundred acre camp at which my wife works. It might not be rock-crawling or anything but I still feel pretty justified in our purchase :shrug:

That said, for hauling a little cargo trailer I have no problem with cars towing stuff.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
ITT: Guilty people justifying their SUV ownership.

50% of the cars being sold today in the US are SUVs and most of those have 5 seats, no tow hitch, and barely enough clearance to climb a curb. Clearly I am attacking you personally and require your justification asap!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

The new ford explorer is really nice looking. that's all I have to contribute to this dumb discussion

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

50% of the cars being sold today in the US are SUVs and most of those have 5 seats, no tow hitch, and barely enough clearance to climb a curb. Clearly I am attacking you personally and require your justification asap!

Except those bestsellers are mostly CUVs, which are basically fat station wagons built off of compact/midsize car platforms, or else minivans-except-in-name-only. You can tell because they get more or less equivalent mileage to family sedans or the station wagons built off of those same platforms. It's basically all aesthetics with a tiny MPG hit from having AWD and a slightly higher ride height. And even then, sedans and wagons have all gotten so fat you can barely tell the difference anyway, visually or otherwise. Seriously, a Ford Escape, a Ford Fusion, and a Jetta Wagon all get identical EPA fuel mileage.

Here, look:
code:
Best Selling SUVs Nov-12 and YTD
Nov Rnk				Nov-12	% chg	YTD	YTD % 
#1 	Ford Escape 		3833	46.70%	41,318	0.20%
#2 	Honda CR-V 		2626	7.50%	31,380	35.20%
#4 	Dodge Journey	 	2091	13.30%	27,310	0.80%
#5	Toyota RAV4 		2017	4.00%	24,455	26.90%
#3 	Hyundai Santa Fe 	2394	97.50%	21,423	-7.50%
#6	Chevrolet Equinox 	1428	-11.60%	19,342	-7.30%
#8	Jeep Wrangler	 	1140	33.20%	18,008	21.20%
#7	Ford Edge 		1275	21.30%	17,826	22.90%
#12 	Nissan Rogue 		960	-19.50%	13,406	4.60%
#14 	Hyundai Tucson 		904	-12.50%	13,372	-1.30%
In other words, you're about a decade too late, not to mention the fact that you're arguing for a boring, uncontroversial position held by basically everyone here. Seriously, if you're going to rehash old stand-up routines, at least pick something funny.

ps: I don't own an SUV

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 11, 2012

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Not sure I see the point of this post. Your use of "justified" hints that you're targeting me at least a little bit specifically when you say all these things but really I was more justifying my ownership of a softer, more space- and fuel-efficient vehicle as opposed to a big ol' truck (although I guess the new V6 Dodges and Fords do get better gas mileage; I would say they aren't as useful for most things though) or a legit off-road vehicle. And more generally I didn't see a lot of rancor among the discussion so I don't know why you're doing the whole spouting-off-one-liners act designed to make it clear you're morally superior.

Not only that, but I thought it was an AI Certified Truth that in order to be Justified in purchasing a Large Vehicle you had to have a Legitimate Justification for buying one, so presenting Legitimate Points about why you would own one is a good thing. I'm just trying to do the environmentally responsible thing here, man.

I was also perfectly happy not, you know, talking about our new car to people but I thought I might learn something if I did. I did! It was worth it!

edited for more unnecessary capitalization

Elwood P. Dowd fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 11, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

We're all hosed when the ice caps melt.

When they do we can all get boats! I want that boat with the Corvette taillights.

And speaking of towing capacity:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
This is my boat and SUV.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can we please shut the hell up about trying to define whether or not a Ridgeline is a truck / SUV / CUV / boat / can opener, and get back to posting about new cars?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

davebo posted:

When they do we can all get boats! I want that boat with the Corvette taillights.

And speaking of towing capacity:

this needs to be a spec racing league. You drive the 'vette/wagon around a track, back it up to a ramp, launch and race the boat, then finish with just the car on wet tires around a drift course.

gently caress, now I know what I'd do with a billion dollars.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Xguard86 posted:

this needs to be a spec racing league. You drive the 'vette/wagon around a track, back it up to a ramp, launch and race the boat, then finish with just the car on wet tires around a drift course.

gently caress, now I know what I'd do with a billion dollars.

Actually, you have to tow a motorcycle BEHIND the boat and race that as well. It's like an automotive triathlon!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
bike goes in the boat and if it falls out, you are DQed.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Dunno, sounds like a good opportunity for a truck and ute event. Motorcycle in the bed, boat trailer at the back.

Maybe mount an ultralight on the boat so you fly that sucker right off of the water.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I like the new Accord, and I imagine it can tow a dingy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

I like the new Accord, and I imagine it can tow a dingy.

I think the new Accord definitely marks an up-trend for Honda in terms of design, but I can't get over the fact that it looks too much like the Hyundai Genesis both in profile and especially from the back because they have identical taillights.

From these angles, and also in real life, the Accord really looks like the same car with two character lines pressed into the sides. Not that the Genesis is a particularly distinctive design or anything, but why is so much of the detailing so similar?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 11, 2012

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Between styling trends, competing in the same market segment, pedestrian safety and collision ratings, and having similar aerodynamic concerns, there's only so much variety the stylists can put in for wrapping up a particular package.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fucknag posted:

Between styling trends, competing in the same market segment, pedestrian safety and collision ratings, and having similar aerodynamic concerns, there's only so much variety the stylists can put in for wrapping up a particular package.

Yeah but most other cars are at least distinguishable, despite working under all those same conditions. In this case, the two cars are not even in the same market, and you can distinguish them from proportions if you look more from the front because of their fundamentally different architectures. A lot of the stuff like the fake hofmesiter kink is pretty ubiquitous, but it's the overtly similar shape of the greenhouse plus details like those taillights that make it worse.

Even worse than that is the fact that there's nothing recognizably Honda about that design at all except for the grille. It's self-consciously aping the German sedans to an extent that is atypical from Honda (though obviously, you do see a fair amoutn of trend setting from the top of the market). You can excuse the Genesis for looking generic because it's a design holdover from before Hyundai had established a corporate style, and it's also intentionally trying to not look too much like a normal hyundai. And the Honda is an improvement in that it's not aggressively ugly or bland like some of the previous big-name Honda designs (CRV, Civic, etc.). But still kind of disappointing. I don't really care for Nissan's corporate design, but at least it's recognizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
These two cars really do not look all that much alike. The body panels' creases and the trim pieces are fairly different.