Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Orange Crush Rush posted:

That reminds me a of those old infinites Skrull and Hulk may or may not still have, can't remember. Makes me wonder if all characters with a Soft Knockdown move in the air and a move that ignores hitstun have an infinite.

I know Hulk's was removed, it seems they hard-coded extra states for the anti-air gamma crushes so that they only result in a hard knockdown once, after that it's a soft knockdown which means you can't OTG gamma wave.

People seem to believe Skrull's is still there even though I haven't seen it - that's probably just because it's hard as crap to actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Tonight :wooper:

Thursday December 6th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/esicj5s8mp

:itjb:xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/4npjcz3ahb

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 6, 2012

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World

Ybrik posted:

Available upon request lol

Sup :cool:

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Aww man I want to play Fooblat.

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/4npjcz3ahb

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Is this the same fooblat that is always on streams playing haggar/hulk/somebody!?!?!

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
How likely am I to get banished from the tournament lobby if I sign up this week?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Seymour Butts posted:

Is this the same fooblat that is always on streams playing haggar/hulk/somebody!?!?!

Nope, it's a completely different Fooblat, this one plays MODOK/Doom/somebody.

(right, fooblat?)

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
fooblat plays a morridoom team now

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
I'm in the uncomfortable position of enjoying the crap out of this game while not being especially good at it. I need boot camp-style training over the holidays.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Results :wooper:

http://challonge.com/psmgoons26
First Place: Acute Hepatitis Frank Wesk/Dante/Strider
Second Place:Jmcrofts Haggar/Arthur/Sentinel
Third Place Ybrik Spider-Man/Taskmaster/Super-Skrull

Stuff happened. Most of it traumatizing.
b0lt stream here:

:itjb:Xbox:itjb:
http://challonge.com/xbmgoons20
First Place: FereydunTaskmaster/Trish/Hawkeye
Second Place: Boobs is Fun! Hulk/Haggar/Wesker/Doctor Doom

Allegedly Fooblat is a fraud who can only use his tactics offline. Who knew? Also Tabs best Hawkeye in the World?

Next week Thursday December 13th 9PMEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/qcxsciov7r

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/xbce8pb6u8

Ybrik fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Dec 7, 2012

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Ybrik posted:

Stuff happened. Most of it traumatizing.

I recall snippets of a teleporting ninja and a wire-fu Doctor Doom from the post-tourney casuals, and that I was on the floor with blood coming out of my eyes at one point, but the rest has been blocked from my memory.

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 7, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

MODOK is secret top tier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5IfbPDWlA

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe
Modok has some good things going for him, but he's certainly not top tier. He has a fast beam, the longest flight mode (which also allows you to block), and some really tricky setups when he lands a hit, but he has a lot of weaknesses.

He can't upback safely since you can hit him out of the starting animation of flight mode. He has some pretty terrible ground normals and very slow lows. He's also a pretty big target.

I tried using him for a bit for fun, but he really does get poo poo all over by good rush down.

I liked that video though! Modok makes cool combo vids.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
IMHO, Modok is totally top tier.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

I think you can upback with MODOK you just have to superjump so you jump and not fly.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
MODOK is a guy with extreme advantages and disadvantages. Top-notch air mobility and screen control, risky normals, and gets his rear end royally handed to him by Vajra unless he's able to change his usual gameplan to counter it (meaning, among other things, no more runaway), as Acute Hepatitis repeatedly demonstrated, probably while cackling.

I'm still torn up about it.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I want to get into this game more. The last couple of weeks I've been occasionally floundering around with Viscant's advice of starting off with Mag/Doom/Sentinel, but I'm finding that it requires an intense time commitment to really learn those characters that I don't really have right now. What are some good beginner-friendly teams that I could pick up, learn some BnBs, and see some success online? I also picked up a copy of this game for the Vita (I already have a PS3 version), so if there any teams that can be played on the controller-type layout of the Vita (that means nothing that has Zero-like mechanics) without much difficulty, that would be a huge plus. Although I'm still a huge newbie at this game and still getting over the hurdle of trying to understand just what the gently caress is going on at any point in time and not getting overwhelmed, I'd like to be able to start figuring out how to actually play this game instead of just mashing buttons.

Also, any advice on helping me get over the "oh god so much things happening at once" factor of this game would be super appreciated, for now I've just tried watching some matches on youtube and pausing every now and then to try and figure out what's happening, who crossed up who, whose assist did what, and so on, but even then sometimes I'm still completely confused.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
There isn't a more braindead way to learn the game than the original Team Tokido: Wolvie + Akuma/Sentinel.

Call assist, run up, and try to open people with Wolverine. You have safe divekicks and cross-up move (Berserker Slash).
If Wolverine dies, just pop X-Factor with your Akuma or Sent anchor and spam poo poo.

You're still going to lose a lot, because even online scrubs have been playing this game for 2 years, and decent/good Marvel players have been playing for at least 10, but you have a team that you can run simple offense on.

In the long run, it's more important to develop your own individual style and learn exactly what it is you lose to. Win/loss records aren't important for you right now. Learn the basics first. Every match, win or lose, should be teaching you something.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Definitely agree on Wolverine for a combination of strong character+easy execution. Wolverine (Tornado Claw)/Wesker (gunshot)/Akuma (Tatsu) is how I'd go as they work well together and there's plenty of Ricky Ortiz/Noel Brown footage to watch of that team.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Pick a team with characters you can play and a half decent gameplan. Practice your BnBs off of various starters. e.g. LMH, c.LMH, an air to air hit, your assists, throws, airthrows, any special moves you have that can be used as pokes like Dante's air play, guardstun XFC, crossover counters, hypers that get XFC, etc. The biggest goal of your time practicing the game is to be able to convert a hit. The next goal is to be able to create offense that is hard for your opponent to escape. That is, throw something out that they will likely be forced to block then mix them up and keep them blocking. Creating these situations is how you get hits to start combos. The last thing you want to keep in mind with your team is your gameplan. If you land a hit with your first character how can you convert it into a kill? Once you kill do you have an incoming mixup to get the second character? Will you have enough meter to get the kill or will you need to burn XF? Viscant calls this gameplan the structure of the match.

Keep in mind that while you really should learn optimal (or close to optimal) BnBs because you'll probably want their optimal damage it is FAR more important that you learn conversions, mixups, and have a gameplan. So don't worry if you can't do an optimal BnB. Instead, do a BnB that works for you.

I forgot to mention that while you're practicing you should work on movement. Learn to plink dash or wavedash. You will need good movement in order to escape other people's setups.

Lastly, go find people to play with offline. Online is an extremely frustrating environment to learn in. Lag will cause you to drop stuff either because it will actually ignore your input or because it will mess up your timing. And the drops will cost you matches so after each match you'll need to think "was that me or the lag?" Also, the format of ranked sucks. A single match gives you no time to learn how to fight someone else's team.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Marvel is complicated game, there's a lot to learn but you won't be able to learn all of it without losing a few hundred matches first. Just dick around with characters you like in training mode to start, lots of characters have safe and easy stuff that will give you a full combo. That's where everyone's gameplay starts, waiting for your opponent to walk into something dumb. Once you have a good idea when they won't walk into your simple offense you can add on the next step.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Dren posted:

...it is FAR more important that you learn conversions, mixups, and have a gameplan. So don't worry if you can't do an optimal BnB. Instead, do a BnB that works for you.

This is some of the best advice ever. Finding out which of your BnBs work at what parts of the screen, or finding a way to convert an assist call/random hit into a combo (and do so reliably) is one of the most important parts of Marvel.

But yeah, there's no shortcuts, although I'd reccomend Wolverine-Taskmaster-Akuma, a really versatile and (pretty) simple team to start with. Good Assists, pretty versatile, but I also cant stand playing Sentinel. (even with how good Drones Assist is)

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Consistant BnB>Easy BnB>Combo Video BnB

Here is something that a lot of new players don't do at all or just arn't aware of.

Dashing and some(maybe all) specials negate pushblock, if they pushblock then you press dash or a special right after the pushblock begins you stop the push block.

For instance with Viper on point I can go jump 3dash j.S,land dash L, if you block it's frame tight if you push block I'm still in your face, if it hits this still combos. If I know your going to block it, almost certain, then post dash I can go s.L or super jump>3 way crossup or just throw. Basically every character off of a deep or trijumped aerial can do a similar tech.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Any tips for doing Doom's double footdive combo midscreen? Most times when I do it, the jS misses because they've gone too far back. Sometimes it connects, but I'm not sure what I'm doing differently when that happens.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

You need to delay the second j.M very slightly. Doom should be above your opponent in the air if you time it right.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Are both Ms supposed to hit twice? And is the airdash after S down or downforward?

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

bouncyman posted:

Are both Ms supposed to hit twice? And is the airdash after S down or downforward?

Personally I hit the first twice, second once, and the airdash is downforward.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah I should've mentioned that instead of delaying the second j.M, you can cancel it after the first hit for the same effect. Does a little less damage obviously, but it's easier, and as said up-page, consistency trumps optimization.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
So just to confirm (sorry if the notation sucks)
S., j. M(2), j. M(1), j. f+H, j. S, Airdash downforward, whiff M, tridash, M, S, repeat? If I'm in the corner what's the best way to get get the plasma beam OTG xx photon array finisher after 3 loops?

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

bouncyman posted:

If I'm in the corner what's the best way to get get the plasma beam OTG xx photon array finisher after 3 loops?

You can tiger knee (qcf + uf) the beam after landing. Or if you're lazy like me, don't dash cancel the last j.S and Doom will slowly float into position for the beam.

Edit: Just realized I misspoke here. You still dash cancel the j.S, just don't cancel the dash into a normal. You want the full animation for the air dash instead of falling to the ground.

Nate405 fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 12, 2012

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Thanks. I've been hitting it a lot more consistently just letting the second jM hit once.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

The Dark Wind posted:

Also, any advice on helping me get over the "oh god so much things happening at once" factor of this game would be super appreciated

Since you're on PS3 you can add me @ legit3incher- I'm going to be putting in a fair amount of time playing between semesters in an attempt to learn the same thing. Playing online isn't optimal as pretty much everyone says but I think it's a decent way for a straight-up scrub like me to build awareness

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Wow, that was a ton of super useful advice. You guys are loving awesome :3:

Omnikin posted:

Since you're on PS3 you can add me @ legit3incher- I'm going to be putting in a fair amount of time playing between semesters in an attempt to learn the same thing. Playing online isn't optimal as pretty much everyone says but I think it's a decent way for a straight-up scrub like me to build awareness

Sure, I'll add you on there, although I'll be away from my PS3 for a while during the holidays so I'll mostly be on my Vita practicing my BnBs.

Edit: Also, it seems like a lot of this stuff will take months before I'm even at a decent level, and it's especially overwhelming with 3 characters to learn at the same time. How do you guys divide your time up when learning multiple characters? I think I'm gonna try out Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma for now.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 12, 2012

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MboiR6JWbzY

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Bad Video Do Not Click

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Dark Wind posted:

Wow, that was a ton of super useful advice. You guys are loving awesome :3:

Sure, I'll add you on there, although I'll be away from my PS3 for a while during the holidays so I'll mostly be on my Vita practicing my BnBs.

Edit: Also, it seems like a lot of this stuff will take months before I'm even at a decent level, and it's especially overwhelming with 3 characters to learn at the same time. How do you guys divide your time up when learning multiple characters? I think I'm gonna try out Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma for now.

Provided that you can do simple combos it shouldn't take months to be able to get into the game and start having fun. Some of the more advanced stuff, yes, that'll take a while.

I strongly feel that Wolverine needs a beam assist. If you're gonna play Wolverine try Wolverine/Wesker (Samurai Edge)/Doom (plasma beam). Both Wolverine and Wesker can do really easy cross ups and conversions off of plasma beam. Plus, Plasma Beam is amazing for helping them get in.

First, learn to play Wolverine with the two assists. Then learn to play Wesker with the beam assist. Learn your anchor at your leisure.

Here is a basic Wolverine/Wesker combo:
s.L s.M s.H S, j.M j.M j.H xx drill claw, dive kick, s.H S, j.M j.M j.H j.S (call Wesker) then do one of two enders.

The first ender is L Tornado claw (no mashing) canceled into Fatal Claw. Wolverine can loop L Tornado claw into Fatal Claw as long as he has meter. The timing on the loop is a bit tight so you may want to skip it.
The second ender is Berserker Barrage H (fully mashed so that they pop up at the end) canceled into either Fatal Claw or Berserker Barrage X (Fatal Claw does more damage).

Choose the ender you do based on how much damage you can get from a DHC. You might consider switching the order of the team up to be Wolvie/Doom/Wesker since Doom's plasma ball up the poop chute DHC would work well after Fatal Claw and do a ton of damage. Maximum Wesker does pretty paltry damage in comparison.

If for some reason you've used up the Wesker assist and it's unavailable at the end of your combo you can probably combo after the j.S by doing dash + call doom, df + M then follow up with Fatal Claw loop or Berserker Barrage.

Wolverine's gameplan is to go nuts with crossups and frame traps once he's in. To get in he really needs backup from a beam. So call Plasma Beam then do Berserker Slash H, or simply call Plasma Beam and begin dashing in with it covering you.

Once Wolvie is in with frame advantage he gets lots of options. He can do LMH, then on hit do S into full combo or on block do Berserker Slash M or H to cross up. If he goes for LMH xx Berserker Slash M he can delay the b. slash a little bit to catch opponents who try to press buttons with a frame trap. He can also do LMH+assist call then Berserker Slash H to make the crossup safe. Instead of the LMH he can choose to do staggered c.L's to frame trap someone who likes to press buttons. If Berserker Slash hits he can combo out of it by canceling into Berserker Charge (down down ATK + ATK) then dashing as soon as the super ends and comboing.

With Wolvie keep in mind that Berserker Rage (the move you get if you mash your normals) is + on block and on hit. If it hits you can actually combo it with a s.L. On block they can't punish you.

Anyway, you should be able to learn that Wolvie combo fairly quickly. Get that going and start using Plasma Beam to get in. Worry about everything else later as you see fit.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Akuma fills the role of a beam assist IMO, in the case of Wolverine, and it's a better "get off me" assist than Doom Beam. Plus you get a million frames to convert off tatsu.

Also, I'd imagine most people would have an easier time learning things like midscreen combos with Akuma over Doom even if Doom may be a better character to learn long term.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

absolutely anything posted:

Bad Video Do Not Click

Why couldn't I have seen this before clicking on it :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Super Rad posted:

Akuma fills the role of a beam assist IMO, in the case of Wolverine, and it's a better "get off me" assist than Doom Beam. Plus you get a million frames to convert off tatsu.

Also, I'd imagine most people would have an easier time learning things like midscreen combos with Akuma over Doom even if Doom may be a better character to learn long term.

Tatsu can't help Wolverine at fullscreen, the place where Wolverine needs the most help. Tatsu is probably better than Plasma Beam at midscreen, close up, and start of the round.

As far as solo anchors go, Akuma is probably better than Doom. Scrub Akuma anchor is clearly better than scrub Doom anchor thanks to XF3 GoHadouken.

I still think it's worth it to pick Plasma Beam for Wolverine and Wesker. I like building teams to optimize the point character and the pairing of the second and third characters. Plasma Beam does more for Wolvie and Wesker than Tatsu does by making them a threat even at fullscreen.

I just remembered one of my favorite things about playing online. Sentinel vs. scrubby Akumas that Tatsu all day, s.M completely stuffs Tatsu on reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Dren posted:

As far as solo anchors go, Akuma is probably better than Doom.

Not even close.

• Locked thread