Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title
I had kinda hoped the deal would go this way since the spring, when the Pentagon started to hint that the per unit cost was getting to the point that USAF was considering scaling back its order. It seemed to me that the CF could be spending their money more effectively, or that we'd be better off not getting tangled up in another brand new airframe acquisition (When's the Cyclone getting here?).

And it's also quite a bit of fun watching all the baby zoomies in the Jaw come to terms with this on Facebook today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Good, send the money over to the Navy, we need it!

Seriously though, pretty much all I'd heard about the planes was bad, both their general capabilities as well as their specific appropriateness to Canada's defence needs. Seeing Canada holding out in the face of many of the other partners pulling out or scaling back seemed ill-advised on all accounts. Was the Air Force really that keen on it? Why don't we just get a few Super Hornets and call it a day?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
We need the money so we can finally Sinkex the god damned 280s and build replacements. Oh and a tanker that can actually sail and make port somewhere. K thanks.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Oh god there's a guy on my facebook that's trying to argue it's not 40 billion dollars, it's 40 billion dollars over 40 years. So, it's really only a billion dollars a year, .4% of Canada's GDP.

Think the point about those planes being insanely overpriced is going over his head?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
How about a replacement for the LSVW, one that can hit highway speeds and doesn't spontaneously combust?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

How about a replacement for the LSVW, one that can hit highway speeds and doesn't spontaneously combust?

There was one 'in the work's when I left in Nov '11. So you'll probably seen one in 10-15 years.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I had to ride in a LSVW on the highway the other week, I'm amazed I made it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Replacement for the LSVW will be MILcOTS or I will eat my hat.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What's the unit cost for a Milverado?
Probably cheaper to just do that instead of going through another procurement boondoggle.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.

Frosted Flake posted:

At high speeds, riding in the back of one makes you think you're taking part of Operation Bughouse.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

What's the unit cost for a Milverado?
Probably cheaper to just do that instead of going through another procurement boondoggle.

You can't turn a milverado into a rad van. Not very well, anyway.

what son what
Nov 6, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Oh god there's a guy on my facebook that's trying to argue it's not 40 billion dollars, it's 40 billion dollars over 40 years. So, it's really only a billion dollars a year, .4% of Canada's GDP.

Think the point about those planes being insanely overpriced is going over his head?

That guy must have been a real hit at his local car dealership.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

I had to take a LSVW from Wainwright back to Shilo, I never got it above 90 but it also never broke down.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

So, it's the opposite of driving an Iltis then?

You can hit 130, but you might not arrive alive.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, it was a miracle that it didn't break down. One of the advance party LSVWs broke down 20 minutes outside of the gate.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Pufflekins posted:

No, it was a miracle that it didn't break down. One of the advance party LSVWs broke down 20 minutes outside of the gate.

Not to mention the trouble getting them started in cold weather - if the fuel-fired coolant heater even works.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

Not to mention the trouble getting them started in cold weather - if the fuel-fired coolant heater even works.

And the fact that it has an 80% chance of the battery completely draining magically every time you turn it off.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Are there any courses offered to NCM reservists who want to learn French, even if there's no specific operational requirement for it? Even something along the lines of distance education format, similar to the OPME courses offered via DNDLearn?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Not even reg force has a reasonable chance of landing a french course, even a short refresher one. I don't know if there are any DL french courses, though.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
^^ Tell me about it, I was posted to the Ville de Quebec and they still wouldn't load me onto a french course.

Thankfully, I'm the Toronto's Shipborne Air Controller now :v:

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
Just get posted to Bagotville and you'll have an immediate opportunity to take french lessons :)

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ruse posted:

^^ Tell me about it, I was posted to the Ville de Quebec and they still wouldn't load me onto a french course.

Thankfully, I'm the Toronto's Shipborne Air Controller now :v:

Huh, didn't know you were an NCIOP, figured Sonar Op for some reason.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I ended up answering my own question by accident...

I had to take a contract and procurement course a while back, which had to be taken online under the Canadian School of Public Service. I bookmarked the course list for future reference on courses that might be of interest in the future.

There's a number of courses there, some which cost money (billed to your unit), others which are free. The ones that deal with language are all here, and I've already fired up French Makes Sense 1.

Unless you've had to take a course through CSPS, I'm not sure if there needs to be some justification as to being allowed to create a CSPS account. The Client Contact Centre needs to be messaged directly for your account activation.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Does anyone know who makes the current desert socks (coyote in color with the blue top, about 9" tall)? I still have the four pairs I was issued with my desert boots and I think they're the best socks I've ever owned. I want to buy some for myself.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Logistik Unicorp makes all that crap

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

M. Propagandalf posted:

Are there any courses offered to NCM reservists who want to learn French, even if there's no specific operational requirement for it? Even something along the lines of distance education format, similar to the OPME courses offered via DNDLearn?

Here you go: http://www.allies.forces.gc.ca/au-ns/index-eng.asp

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Someone I know posted this today on facebook.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/54119198?autoplay

I knew they wanted to change the pt express but I never expected something that work specific.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Frog 1.0 posted:

I knew they wanted to change the pt express but I never expected something that work specific.

They've been working on it for quite a while, and they were also trialling element-specific testing as well. They've got the test pretty much squared away now and are currently running it in St Jean only. The logistics of rolling it out across the country are fairly challenging as it obviously requires a whole bunch of specialized kit. Not sure what their plan is there.

Oh and it apparently takes two days to complete the test.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frog 1.0 posted:

That's an awesome way to weed out all the shitpumps. Hopefully it will help get rid of the over-abundance of fatties.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN

Pufflekins posted:

That's an awesome way to weed out all the shitpumps. Hopefully it will help get rid of the over-abundance of fatties.

Yeah I don't know about that. From what I've read, there's one set standard for all ages and genders. They can't honestly expect the same level of fitness from a 52 year old female as a 18 year old male. I have a feeling the standards will be fairly easy to achieve.

I sure loving hope so though. If people can't get fit to do their own jobs, they shouldn't be serving.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mstrkrft posted:

Yeah I don't know about that. From what I've read, there's one set standard for all ages and genders. They can't honestly expect the same level of fitness from a 52 year old female as a 18 year old male. I have a feeling the standards will be fairly easy to achieve.

I sure loving hope so though. If people can't get fit to do their own jobs, they shouldn't be serving.

Well, considering they are getting rid of all Captains and CWOs that have been in that position for over ten years.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

mstrkrft posted:

The video did clearly state that bit about age and gender - not sure how that's going to work. I assume exemption standards will still exist.

What's clear though is the focus on universality of service. They designed a test around five common tasks they feel absolutely any one in the CF could be called upon to perform even if their trade has them sitting at a desk 99% of the time. Of course this level of fitness doesn't cut it for some trades, hence the looking at element-specific testing.

One challenge with the new test could be that it could be difficult to train for and would require a well-rounded general fitness exercise regime. With the old expres test, you could fairly easily train specifically to pass it, to the exclusion of other exercising.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I do remember reading somewhere that exemption would no longer exist, and it would be a yearly test for all CF. I guess that would shake up the PER/Merit board system a bit.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Are they removing the BFT or something? I only did the CF Express test twice in seven years: basic training and battle school.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
There will no longer be exemption status according to my CoC. It will simply be a pass/fail and will not be used as points at all.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

mdivi posted:

There will no longer be exemption status according to my CoC. It will simply be a pass/fail and will not be used as points at all.

Wow, between that and the getting rid of OPMEs for NCMs they're really cutting down on merit board bonus points. It's too much to hope that they'd kill language profile points though.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

acumen posted:

Are they removing the BFT or something? I only did the CF Express test twice in seven years: basic training and battle school.

Yeah seriously, the only time you do a CF Express outside of initial training is if you need to get exempt for some high speed course. Honestly I think you should have to do an Express test in addition to a BFT every year if you're in a combat arms trade. Too many fatty combat engineers who are useless in the field.

My leave beard is looking spectacularly greasy. Merry Christmas leave CF Goons.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I personally think that the idea of "sports nights" on parade nights is silly, and should be replaced with a mandatory PT night once per month.

If you skip it, it's noted. A very easy way to find out who's pulling their weight, and who's not.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Whoa whoa, don't get crazy now. Wednesday sports afternoon is the best thing about my regiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

Whoa whoa, don't get crazy now. Wednesday sports afternoon is the best thing about my regiment.

I think thats some filthy reservist nonsense.