Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
All I can do at this point is laugh.

Stay free guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Yesss

e: you forgot Sumotori too

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

All I can do at this point is laugh.

Stay free guys.

Love it. Love everything about it.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
SFxT is a fun training mode game and I'd probably drop $15 on it if it came with all the extra DLC chars just in case 2013 ends up making it playable. At the same time the PC version has less of a community than the PC version of SF4, which is pretty thin, but the 2013 update might bring a lot of people back to it who stopped playing.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

-One Must Fall 2097
You just made a list of fighting games greater than Every Fighting Game Ever Released For Any Platform, good job

I bought SFxT PC as a contingency in the event that 2013 makes it anything other than a wet spot on the mattress

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Someone seriously needs to pick up the rights to One Must Fall and make a new decent 2D fighter out of it and not some 3D arena brawler poo poo like they released a while back.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

rip

Question Mark Mound posted:

Someone seriously needs to pick up the rights to One Must Fall and make a new decent 2D fighter out of it and not some 3D arena brawler poo poo like they released a while back.
I actually struck up a conversation with a guy named "Robyrt" who, apart from the Elam brothers themselves is probably the biggest font of information about that game, and after working through the various gameplay mechanics, jointly came to the conclusion that OMF is (probably accidentally) an impeccably designed fighting game in many respects. Turns out Robyrt is a bit of a fighting game nut in general so it was an interesting conversation.

We even looked into the whereabouts of the Elams themselves, but to no avail.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Goodpart posted:

I actually struck up a conversation with a guy named "Robyrt" who, apart from the Elam brothers themselves is probably the biggest font of information about that game, and after working through the various gameplay mechanics, jointly came to the conclusion that OMF is (probably accidentally) an impeccably designed fighting game in many respects. Turns out Robyrt is a bit of a fighting game nut in general so it was an interesting conversation.

We even looked into the whereabouts of the Elams themselves, but to no avail.

Yeeeeees.

One Must Fall 2097 was a loving fantastic game, especially when you put it in Rehit mode. What was fantastic about Rehit that it wasn't just a jumble of 'Yeah, so you can hit 'em again whenever you want whee'. They actually put rules for how it would work so it changed the feel of the game to something more frenetic but way more awesome.

Also the tournament modes were the poo poo. I played it way too much. :v:

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

At the same time the PC version has less of a community than the PC version of SF4

According to the Steam stats thingamabob SFxT seems to actually have more players there (mostly due to the sale I guess). Are they both also GFWL titles, or just SF4?

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 12, 2012

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

List of legally-obtainable FGs for PC that suck less thsn Strekken:
-SF4
-MK Arcade Collection
-The gross 90's PC port of SFA2
-The Mega Drive version of Virtua Fighter 2
-Eternal Champions
-One Must Fall 2097
-Toribash
-Timeslaughter

That MK collection is a bunch of loving trash ports and it runs like a piece of poo poo. Also the netplay is unplayable. I can't believe anyone who's actually played it would suggest someone else pay money for it. At least you can connect to other players and hit buttons in SFxT.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
SFxT training mode is really really good and I wish I could train other games using the options it has, but alas it was not to be.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

stay depressed posted:

That MK collection is a bunch of loving trash ports and it runs like a piece of poo poo. Also the netplay is unplayable. I can't believe anyone who's actually played it would suggest someone else pay money for it. At least you can connect to other players and hit buttons in SFxT.

I was hoping to be the first to say that but there's more to it. Button prompts are always keyboard, no matter WHAT you're actually using to control it. And if you want to use a stick it had better be a 360-compatible one or it won't work AT ALL. It runs in 720p, no matter what your native resolution is; so it looks even more like complete rear end on 1600x900. I can't even speak about the netplay because that poo poo is deader than Skullgirls. And all of these flaws only serve to throw into sharp relief the fact that the original games weren't that good in the first place. The only redeeming feature I can think of is the fact that it's under 700 mb, so you won't waste too much time downloading it to find out all of the above and then delete it in disgust.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think that was part of the joke, you know.

quanch
Dec 18, 2003
i bought sfxt on steam and it didnt ruin my life

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

List of legally-obtainable FGs for PC that suck less thsn Strekken:
-Eternal Champions

Where??!?!

WHERE?!?!??!!?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Mega Drive version is on Steam, isn't it?

I didn't even know the MK collection was on PC until I did a search for that other post. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's terrible, the console version was unforgivably bad at launch, too. (They've since patched it, so it's at least playable now, but you still shouldn't buy it.) drat thing outsold 3So by a ton, too.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

This guy's a casual player. He's not entering tournaments, or interning for an fg dev. So $12.50's a good deal.

I actually play a ton of marvel on my 360 but thanks for making assumptions I guess?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
P4A for $22 if you haven't picked it up yet: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007B7BHJ8/

e: both the PS3 and 360 versions are on sale

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 13, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

flatluigi posted:

P4A for $22 if you haven't picked it up yet: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007B7BHJ8/

e: both the PS3 and 360 versions are on sale

Its a great game, everyone should really own it for that price.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
What is the best drunken fighting game? Might be a stupid question but I have a bunch of friends who like drinking and playing video games but once mostly everyone forgets how to play doom properly, we gravitate to the consoles. Many of them are not great at fighting games even sober but don't want to be excluded. I was thinking Divekick would be the perfect game but it isn't out as I know.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Smash Brothers?

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

The Dave posted:

Smash Brothers?

Don't own it, won't own it.

E: It has been tried but Smash Brothers comes with drama for certain people and the rules. Surely there is something better.

Hypha fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 13, 2012

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

The Dave posted:

Smash Brothers?

He said fighting game. :colbert:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sony Smash Bros?

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008
Smash really is the best option, but maybe something like MK9 would be good. It has simple inputs and everything looks pretty cool. SC5 might be a good option too since every input is direction+mash buttons. Those are both relatively slower games so they should be easier to keep up with.

VigilantePrime fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 13, 2012

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I think the new Dead or Alive game was supposed to be pretty button-mash-friendly too, so that might be a good option. I haven't played it though, so I don't know for sure.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Armor-Piercing posted:

I think the new Dead or Alive game was supposed to be pretty button-mash-friendly too, so that might be a good option. I haven't played it though, so I don't know for sure.

Friends don't let friends play DOA.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
SFxT Scramble Mode, obviously.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Chivalry was on sale last week for 8.30, and will probably be at a similar price in a week or so.

edit: are we still talkin about pc fightin games

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 13, 2012

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Armor-Piercing posted:

It's pretty low execution, yeah. It's also really easy to make combos, pretty much anything combos into anything else. Even if everyone's drunk, you can just more or less smash your face into the controller and probably wind up with a 15 hit combo.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Hypha posted:

What is the best drunken fighting game? Might be a stupid question but I have a bunch of friends who like drinking and playing video games but once mostly everyone forgets how to play doom properly, we gravitate to the consoles. Many of them are not great at fighting games even sober but don't want to be excluded. I was thinking Divekick would be the perfect game but it isn't out as I know.

If you have the proper controller setup, SFxT 2v2 can be really fun drunk.

There's also Dong Dong Never Die...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kZQhZbJevM

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

This, this is amazing.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Hypha posted:

MK, while not all that good, is stupidly easy and drunk people like fatalities. Even a person who's terrible at fighting games can pick up a few basic combos and rip peoples heads off.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hypha posted:

Persona 4 Arena has auto-combos, decent mobility and flashy poo poo, look it up.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Dias posted:

Persona 4 Arena has auto-combos, decent mobility and flashy poo poo, look it up.

It's on sale, too!

http://www.amazon.com/Persona-4-Arena-Playstation-3/dp/B007B7BHJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355362062&sr=8-1&keywords=persona+4+arena

Another good option is SFxT, and that's on sale for PC too (seriously). Scramble mode is pretty good for what Hypha needs, just not quite as easy as mashing autocombos in P4A. Your friends would have to know how to do special moves and supers at least, and how to hold down your special move to charge up a super.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

The Deadliest Warrior games are good drunk games. No skill required and you can play as pirates and ninjas and poo poo like that.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Liar Lyre posted:

The Deadliest Warrior games are good drunk games. No skill required and you can play as pirates and ninjas and poo poo like that.

Definitely seconding this.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Liar Lyre posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot about this game. Yeah this is the one, Hypha. You can ignore all this other stuff and just get Deadliest Warrior, it is ideal for your needs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

may contain peanuts posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot about this game. Yeah this is the one, Hypha. You can ignore all this other stuff and just get Deadliest Warrior, it is ideal for your needs.

Yep, I completely forgot about it too, this is pretty good also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I remember WWE All Stars got a lot of hype back when it first came out, and I thought it was pretty fun at face value. Does that one hold up pretty well as at least a party game?

• Locked thread