Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

DaveWoo posted:

Well, that's an interesting assertion, Mr... *checks video* Nagito Komaeda? Huh.

Okay I might be wrong here, but isn't Nagito Komaeda a anagram of Makoto Naegi?!?

I think this is starting to be too obvious, but with this series I don't know...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Also, interesting that Nagito "not Naegi" Komaeda's first thought is towards killing each other.

Well, to be fair, he was probably thinking of Battle Royale, another killing game that took place on an island.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

And... and that is Togami!? :psyduck:

Or a relative (or even a complete stranger) with the same name. Happens all the time in real life.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

IceBorg posted:

Okay I might be wrong here, but isn't Nagito Komaeda a anagram of Makoto Naegi?!?

I think this is starting to be too obvious, but with this series I don't know...
Too many letters for that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, I agree with the assessment that Togami's doomed. You just don't get so lucky twice...

The cast has a neat set of names. Sonia Nevermind sounds like a silly British novel protagonist too.

Quick question about translation! What exactly does the "Heart-thumping" part of the the field trip mean? I've seen this translated differently in multiple media, from "Heart-pounding" to "Heart-throbbing". Is the character literally saying heartbeat noises?

Usami seems like a deranged version of Monobear that Naegi would have built after the first game. Well, if he had any mechanics or AI skills. The only one still possibly around at that time would be Alter-Ego, but it's fate is still unclear...

EDIT:Oh, so Usami's slurring her Rs because she constantly says desu. Sounds like it'd get pretty obnoxious eventually.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 12, 2012

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Aww, I'm kind of sad I learned Nekomaru's name.

I was fully prepared to just call him Takemikazuchi for the entire game. I may do that anyway, but I probably won't, as it'd cause confusion and could make me look like an idiot.

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

IceBorg posted:

Almost, but not quite. Nagito's got an extra D and A.

And Togami's "You know what kind of situation we're in?" upon seeing a talking animal mascot makes it seem like this is post-DR and he still has his memories of it.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

HGH posted:

Quick question about translation! What exactly does the "Heart-thumping" part of the the field trip mean? I've seen this translated differently in multiple media, from "Heart-pounding" to "Heart-throbbing". Is the character literally saying heartbeat noises?
Yeah, "Doki-doki" is one of those weird Japanese onomatopoeias that are often used in game titles and stuff.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

DaveWoo posted:

Punk girl has the best sprites. (So far, anyway.)

Well, that's an interesting assertion, Mr... *checks video* Nagito Komaeda? Huh.

quote:

Nagito Komaeda

quote:

Naegi Makoto da

...No. You can't be serious. This has to be a red herring, right guys? :ohdear:

Tollemache
Oct 10, 2012

SingerOfW posted:

Too many letters for that.

Dusting off my very limited understanding of Japanese particles, it might work as 'Makoto Naegi da', meaning 'It's Makoto Naegi'.

Tollemache fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 12, 2012

Apple Cider
Jan 30, 2009

That was messed up and feminist.
The world has ultimately collapsed and this feels like some sort of "end of the world" event where the last remaining survivors get herded onto an island so it gets all Lord of the Flies.

Is the name a send-up of Doki Doki Panic or is that just a thing? (Like Doki Doki School Hours, etc)

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

More people should point out the fact that Ms. Monomi's Practice Lesson is a very, VERY good song and... Isn't enough to quell the hearts of 16 students who've been transferred into a whole new island!

And of course, you can tell DR2's more than happy with being as in your face as possible with its... Wild and pop-y nature.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Togoonmi is dying first isn't he...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gundam?! His name is GUNDAM!? You can't literally BE Gundam! Gundam 00 taught us this AAARRRGH ORE WA GUNDAM!

Also hahahaha gently caress I couldn't stop laughing when the video brought up Fatogami and it just read off his name. I can't believe it's really him.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Confirmed in that last video. Fat man is in fact A Togami. Not the Togami, but someone in the family.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
^ Uh? The video calls him Byakuya Togami, which was also the name of DR1 Togami.

Tollemache posted:

Dusting off my very limited understanding of Japanese particles, it might work as 'Makoto Naega da', meaning 'It's Makoto Naegi'.

I believe so, yes. However, the thing you're not considering is physical features. Naegi is short, clocking in at 160 cm. Togami is reasonably tall, clocking in at 185 cm.

Komaeda is taller than Fatgami, it seems. If it's the same Togami, and it seems it is, Naegi either underwent the most ridiculous of growth spurts, or it ain't him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Confirmed in that last video. Fat man is in fact A Togami. Not the Togami, but someone in the family.

No, dude, that's Byakuya Togami. It's ours.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
So I guess that is Togami. Well.I really liked Togami and I guess now there's even more of him to love.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Waffleman_ posted:

No, dude, that's Byakuya Togami. It's ours.

It's good to see him again. I wonder what Tubgami has been up to.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

njsykora posted:

Togoonmi is dying first isn't he...
Hey, have hope Nagito is also turning into a high contender with his big red herring name and design so maybe he is the one to go first.

Or it could be both...:(

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Well, the one major spoiler I was in on has been out and out confirmed (Goonami :allears:) and he's just as great as I expected.

Also, Makoto Naegi da seems like it would be just the kind of weird foreshadowing that they would pull in. I mean, we already have one returning cast member, and he did immediately jump the gun to thinking the cute fluffy animal would force everyone to kill each other.

Meanwhile, I need to see more of Coach Z(eus) and the Ninja Gundam, ASAP.

vocaloid orgasm
Apr 15, 2011

I keep on singing
Eternal life
VOCALOID
The music is definitely worth a listen. Some pretty interesting names in there. Can't wait to hear their skills.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

KirbyKhan posted:

Except his name is also Byakuya. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean he's the same Byakuya Togami we all know and love; I fully expect this game to play fast and loose with that. Who knows, maybe this all is a parallel universe/computer simulation or something.

Of course, on the off-chance that it's actually him and Nagito is Naegi, then I'm totally calling Peko Pekoyama as Kirigiri in disguise. :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Exercu posted:

^ Uh? The video calls him Byakuya Togami, which was also the name of DR1 Togami.

Just checked the other thread and... well I'll be damned. Poor dude can't catch a break in these Lord of The Flies scenarios.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Alright, calling it now. Hypnosis is at the core of this, or else there's some sort of perception filter going on--our main character isn't necessarilly seeing what is actually there, but rather his impression of it. He sees Togami as fat not because Togami is actually fat, but because for some reason that's how he best perceives him.

Hrmm...

ALthough...

It could just be that Togami had a brother with the same name? Ugh...Dangan Ronpa...!

EDIT: Oh wait, duh. It's his son. Byakyu Togami the Second.

Nagito is Naegi and Kirigiri's child. This game takes place 20 odd years later. Hope and Despair are battling each other in the post-Event world, and this island is yet another staging ground for a metaphorical debate amongst the emotions.

There, solved it. Best detective, right here. Give me my cookie.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

orenronen posted:

I'm conflicted about that. I know what the Japanese text behind the codes reference, and it will not make any sense at this point in the game, but it's still semi-spoilerific.

Is it spilerific :airquote: enough that actually translating it would reveal too much? If so I'll stop trying to figure out anything about it now. Don't want to ruin anything. (for myself, or more so others)

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Supersonic Shine posted:

Best expression of the update.

I'm sorry, I think you meant to post this one:

Fatogami is the gift that keeps on giving.

Son Conan fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 12, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

So if there's DR1 Togami and Naegi (based on the aforementioned word trickery), where are Kirigiri, Asahina, Hagakure, and Fukawa? :psyduck:

Also, it will be interesting to see what gets the murders started, if Usami/Monomi is being gentle with the students so far. At any rate, "getting off the island" might be a good enough incentive if some of them are unstable enough to want out that badly.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 12, 2012

WhalerWren
Oct 9, 2012
Calling that this is a neverending field trip and the only way they're getting off that island is by kiwwing each other and being expelled.

Also it looks like Togami really is a fat cat now. :allears:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I also laughed at Togami's shocked sprite, it took him 4 chapters in the first game to see his shocked sprite, but here its right on the second update.

I guess a Heart-Thumping School Trip is more shocking than a game of life and death :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Gundam hasn't said a drat thing yet, so he is clearly the mastermind :)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

slam5000 posted:

Is it spilerific :airquote: enough that actually translating it would reveal too much? If so I'll stop trying to figure out anything about it now. Don't want to ruin anything. (for myself, or more so others)

If there's any kind of a spoiler in it at all then just leave it I'd say. I mean, what's the rush exactly?

Also I'm amused that the intro took the time to show us every girl's skirt separately. :japan:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Usami's quirk kinda annoys me, but other then that we're off to a glorious start holy poo poo.

It's so out there goofy that I'm enjoying it, though one thing had me wondering. Went back and read the first update (as I linked my artistic friend from the first thread) and doesn't it sound like one of those uh, what's it called... It takes place in the middle of the story, before flashing back to the start? Nagito mentions strange things going on and is under the sun so already pretty curious

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Usami's quirk kinda annoys me, but other then that we're off to a glorious start holy poo poo.

It's so out there goofy that I'm enjoying it, though one thing had me wondering. Went back and read the first update (as I linked my artistic friend from the first thread) and doesn't it sound like one of those uh, what's it called... It takes place in the middle of the story, before flashing back to the start? Nagito mentions strange things going on and is under the sun so already pretty curious

In media res?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Kanfy posted:

Also I'm amused that the intro took the time to show us every girl's skirt separately. :japan:

I like that it did the close-up crotch shot for Hinata.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You're thinking of "in medias res", literally "in the middle of things". :eng101:

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
I'm pretty certain that's Naegi too.

Considering they're high school students a sudden growth spurt definitely isn't off the table. Overall there's a lot of similarities, and the anagram does stand out. There's the dress sense too. His hair looks similar as well, it's a different color but it does look like a longer, messier version of his old hairstyle.

..Of course, considering what series this is there's every chance this is a huge red herring and it's all meant to be a coincidence or something to trick the player.

It seems a bit of a leap to assume there won't be any killing in the second game so presumably Monobear's going to show up and give them a motivation soon. The island looks nice so far but they probably can't leave. Or maybe food's scarce and could be withheld from the students unless there's a murder.

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 12, 2012

SuRoXT
Feb 13, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Opposing Farce posted:

I like that it did the close-up crotch shot for Hinata.

We also got it for Nagito and Chef-dude.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Waffleman_ posted:

In media res?

Monathin posted:

You're thinking of "in medias res", literally "in the middle of things". :eng101:

That's it! That's the term!

But yeah, that's my kinda-obvious guess to what's going on in the intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
So Usami's quirk is tawking wike this. I'm guessing the original Japanese had her using their equivilant of baby talk, and this was the best way to get it across without being too annoying? I don't really mind it, although that might just be because it brings Elmer Fudd to mind whenever Usami speaks. :v:

• Locked thread