Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My first exposure to the series was the show and I didn't start reading the books until after season two. I felt like such an idiot after being done because I remembered what a big deal they make about the Benjen thing in the show and I was like this is gonna pay off at some point but it never did. I did get Dany making GBS threads though. That was unexpected, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The show and how terrible book 4/5 were will swell our ranks like the pizza swells Gurms mass.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

SaviourX posted:

There's just nothing like the salt and sea breeze that, oh my lady, that, drat.”

The whole thing was great, but this and the "non existent braid" got me the best for some reason.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Whats a yearning fuckhome, SaviourX, and where can I get one?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Vigilance posted:

All this talk of the Hobbit makes me wonder what Tolkien would think of GRMM's books had he lived long enough to read them. It's probably for the best that we'll never know.

I honestly think he'd be disappointed with how cynical the genre has become if GRRM is being hailed as the American version of him.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh hey, hobbit discussion.

Yeah, I think GURM's kind of ruined fantasy for me. I'm seeing it this Thursday, and if there isn't hobbit girl tits bouncing everywhere and lesbian elves, I don't think it'll be as fun. Especially since I'm seeing it with my 15 y/o brother.

Seriously though, are they splitting it into three parts?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Contra Calculus posted:

Oh hey, hobbit discussion.

Yeah, I think GURM's kind of ruined fantasy for me. I'm seeing it this Thursday, and if there isn't hobbit girl tits bouncing everywhere and lesbian elves, I don't think it'll be as fun. Especially since I'm seeing it with my 15 y/o brother.

Why would any franchise split up into parts? :10bux:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It's also because Jackson wants to cram in as much of Tolkien's footnotes as possible. I'd be very interested to hear what the British GRRM would have to say about that, too.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Contra Calculus posted:

It was going to be two originally, so either they decided to turn two very long movies into three more reasonably paced films with more Tolkien footnotes, or as Dead Man Posting said, money. Or both.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I think that because Deathly Hollows made plenty of money even when split into two halves, film-makers have been given carte blanche to split up long books like this.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Can't wait until The Old Man and the Sea trilogy comes out.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

An Introduction to Arms
An Intermedium with Arms
A Farewell to Arms

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Whats a yearning fuckhome, SaviourX, and where can I get one?

Gotta apply for the pussy mortgage, man.

quote:

split up long books like this.

Please say this is a jape.

Splitting book-movies is the dumbest thing. I'll see the first because I saw Fellowship by myself the first time and it was great, but after that, probably wait on it.

But yeah, internets say they third one is 'The Desolation of Smaug'. What in the gently caress kind of big movie name is that.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I still say it should have been two movies. "There" and "Back Again", easy fuckin' peasy. Tolkien did all the work for you!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SaviourX posted:

Please say this is a jape.

It guess it is,actually. If the Hobbit trilogy crashes and burns, though, the "trend" is going to come to a screeching halt.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Don't forget that the abysmal third book of the Hunger Games trilogy is being split in two, despite the book not having enough content for 1 movie.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Don't forget that the abysmal third book of the Hunger Games trilogy is being split in two, despite the book not having enough content for 1 movie.

drat, that was exactly who I thought was going to try this poo poo next.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

thornghost posted:

Go, SaviorX, go! We're now at 44,163 magnificent words. That's 176 pages manuscript!

I'll update the list of completed chapters.

It's good to have that up to date, but you've still got chapter 5 done by Geeves instead of myself.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 12, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Twilight did this as well. The entire climax to the movie is a dream sequence that doesn't exist in the novel just so the characters have something to do.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm not really excited about Hobbit anymore. I was wary about two films for such a short book, and my interest basically vanished when they announced it would be three. "Discovering" you had filmed so much and paced it so ploddingly that you have to divide the final film into two parts, that's a horrible mistake. Part of the whole thing about the Hobbit is Bilbo leaves his slow, boring life and walks into Die Hard with a Pipeweed. Three movies, all of which will of course be like 2.5 hours long in theatres and longer at home, is just drawing out everything to the point of insanity.

It speaks very poorly of Jackson's approach to this project that he "discovered" enough footage to warrant a third film. That's loving awful planning on his part. I would not be surprised at all if the common complaint of all these films is how slow they are.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Arbite posted:

It's good to have that up to date, but you've still got chapter 5 done by Geeves instead of myself.

Your good name has been restored!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Haraksha posted:

Twilight did this as well. The entire climax to the movie is a dream sequence that doesn't exist in the novel just so the characters have something to do.

My sister told me about this last week, literally every character shows up to have a fight, but instead someone has a psychic vision of what would happen if they fight and they all die so they don't do it. In the book someone declares they can't fight and everyone just goes home in a complete non-ending.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

Can't wait until The Old Man and the Sea trilogy comes out.

9 hours of Gurm in a dingy.

:swoon:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Teim posted:

My sister told me about this last week, literally every character shows up to have a fight, but instead someone has a psychic vision of what would happen if they fight and they all die so they don't do it. In the book someone declares they can't fight and everyone just goes home in a complete non-ending.

Criticizing Twilight's plot is just needlessly cruel. It's like criticizing GRRM's choice in suspenders.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
If you want to take 9 hours to tell a story, make a TV show!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Or a Tolkien movie.

At least when James Cameron makes a long rear end movie you get to see Kate Winslet's boobs or giant sexy blue cat people fighting robots.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

whowhatwhere posted:

Criticizing Twilight's plot is just needlessly cruel. It's like criticizing GRRM's choice in suspenders.

Twilight?! This is how TWOW ends.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Teim posted:

Twilight?! This is how TWOW ends.

Dany's mind spilled forth a field of utter carnage and desolation. Bodies littered the field, crows plucking at eyeballs, fluttering away in raucous victory. It had finally come to this, her kingdom in ruins, winter stealing the very warmth of life away in the form of too-cruel beings of ice and frost.

The world rushed back to her, still mounted atop Victarion, the forces of Grayjoy and Tarly and Hightower next her, still ready for battle. The one they called Snow still sat his great nightmare of a destrier, cold undead eyes fixed on her.

The lines of wights and shadows advanced.

"Nah, gently caress it," she said. She hauled on the reigns and her dragon took off.

Zombie Jon stared after her, shrugged, and motioned everyone to take off to the sea, because the other zombies couldn't swim, duh. The game of bones would continue, all over the world.

Also, he had a massive boner the entire time.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Emilia Clarke posted:

“It was less my dad, it was more, as I found out last Christmas… my uncle Ken,” she said. “He’s from Yorkshire, and it was over Christmas… But he was kind of alarmed, I think, when he saw it… It was last Christmas. He sort of looked me dead in the eye, and was like ‘Emilia, you didn’t tell me! You didn’t tell me that you’d be naked for that long.’”

Asked if uncle Ken has anything to worry about in Season 3, Emilia replied, “There may be!”

Somewhere, a fat man is smiling...

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

IRQ posted:

9 hours of Gurm in a dingy.

:swoon:

The Captain's hat has waited for its time too long.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Can anyone c/d if there are in fact fart jokes in the hobbit movie? I just read somewhere that they do.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

SaviourX posted:

The world rushed back to her, still mounted atop Victarion

..."Nah, gently caress it," she said. She hauled on the reigns and her dragon took off.

She's loving Victarion while riding a dragon? Truly a scene worthy of Gurm.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Blowing the Horn actually fuses him to the back of Drogon, which is how it allows him to "control" the dragons.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

TheLoquid posted:

She's loving Victarion while riding a dragon? Truly a scene worthy of Gurm.

Or the side of a windowless van.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Contra Calculus posted:

Can anyone c/d if there are in fact fart jokes in the hobbit movie? I just read somewhere that they do.

I'm not sure how you make a movie about fourteen fat dudes who spend the majority of their eating and walking and not include fart jokes. It would seem more contrived without them really.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

thornghost posted:

I'm not sure how you make a movie about fourteen fat dudes who spend the majority of their eating and walking and not include fart jokes. It would seem more contrived without them really.

Fart jokes for the sake of :qq:Artistic Integrity:qq:?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Please make sure to go see The Hobbit in a theater doing 48fps so you can personally experience the full breadth of what a bad decision maker Peter Jackson is.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Please make sure to go see The Hobbit in a theater doing 48fps so you can personally experience the full breadth of what a bad decision maker Peter Jackson is.

Care to elaborate?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

Care to elaborate?

Some people think that upping the frame rate makes the movie look hokey (often compared to the weird flat look of a soap opera.)

Here is a thing that explains the phenomenon much better from someone who saw actually saw it. Contains spoilers I guess?

Apologies for Huffpo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The bigger complaint is that the faster frame rate leaves people nauseous. We can only hope it is used in the televised climax of ADWD.