Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

GeckoMissingo posted:

On the other hand pvp without some kind of moral code would be kind of unbearable since there's not much else stopping people from popping as much humanity as they need every fight.

Sure there is. The other guy who will murder them if they try it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

GeckoMissingo posted:

On the other hand pvp without some kind of moral code would be kind of unbearable since there's not much else stopping people from popping as much humanity as they need every fight.

Interrupt the crush animation. That is how you stop people from doing that.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GeckoMissingo posted:

When you have people decked out in Havel's armor, wielding a +5 lighting axe and throwing out great combustion out of an ascended +5 pyro hand and are invading newbies straight out of the asylum, I think it's save to say that any concept of a "moral code" has been murdered quite some time ago.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

GeckoMissingo posted:

There is no moral code for PVP I hate to break it to you.

They can't heal forever and being willing to do anything will get you victory. In that way, the finite quality of humanity solves both problems.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried out your hints for Blight Town, and it worked really well. I realized that the ghouls were easy if I could start a combo on them, and also found out that if you go to the right from the bonfire, and climb up to the first balcony that overlooks where the dogs are, they'll aggro you and instantly run to their deaths.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

GeckoMissingo posted:

Any kind of healing near your opponent leaves you wide open to attack. If someone can disengage from you well enough to get in some healing, they earned the heals. Dark Souls PvP is about doing anything it takes, within the rules of the game, (people who hack an advantage are dicklords, although people who hack to do funny poo poo are great) to get an advantage and kill the other guy.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Honestly, I like the moral code thing. It's a bit of flavor and it leads to some fun fights/amusing bullshit. I mean, if I'm darkwraithing someone as a hollow warrior then sure, I'm probably not going to bow/spam joy so it looks like I'm doing a dumb dance before I start throwing firebombs, but for regular PVP it just makes the fights more satisfying.

Also dual shield dragonbird PVP would have never happened without the honor code.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 12, 2012

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
The point I'm trying to make is that some people follow an honor code because the pvp in this game is kind of broken and they need to limit themselves from using the cheapest, most effective tactics in order to have fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouODyvqmYHo&feature=g-user-u

You can see up until 9 minutes he plays somewhat normally, but as soon as he gets someone who doesn't bow or whatever he goes into pivot backstabs and deadangled combustions. I don't actually play that much pvp in this game so maybe someone could confirm whether or not this is how it is.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

So I started a new character because I've never used Dex weapons and I want to try them out. I also figured I'd double up on the new stuff and try a no-shield run. Thing is, I like parrying things too much. When people generally do no-shields, are other options like the Parrying Dagger still allowed?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
With the little pvp I've done I try to play as "fairly" as possible, but as soon as some Uchiganta wielding ninja flipping backstab fisher starts tumbling around me, or the guy with a billion WotG casts starts rushing in, I just Black Flame the poo poo out of them and call it a day.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

With the little pvp I've done I try to play as "fairly" as possible, but as soon as some Uchiganta wielding ninja flipping backstab fisher starts tumbling around me, or the guy with a billion WotG casts starts rushing in, I just Black Flame the poo poo out of them and call it a day.

The moment you put your hands on an uchigatana you deserve every horrible thing you get, so that's fine.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
When someone invades another player, there is no moral code. I can understand there being a desire for honor in the pvp arenas accessible from Oolacile, but that's about it. Invasion = no holds barred.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

GeckoMissingo posted:

The point I'm trying to make is that some people follow an honor code because the pvp in this game is kind of broken and they need to limit themselves from using the cheapest, most effective tactics in order to have fun with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouODyvqmYHo&feature=g-user-u

You can see up until 9 minutes he plays somewhat normally, but as soon as he gets someone who doesn't bow or whatever he goes into pivot backstabs and deadangled combustions. I don't actually play that much pvp in this game so maybe someone could confirm whether or not this is how it is.

Umm that's not a very "honorable" thing to do. Breaking out the "cheap" tactics because the guy didn't bow is just some self fellating bullshit.

Here's how to play fair: always try to do whatever you can to win. If your opponent does the same then you're looking at a good match.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sarkozymandias posted:

There is no moral code for PVP I hate to break it to you.

They can't heal forever and being willing to do anything will get you victory. In that way, the finite quality of humanity solves both problems.

Humanity isn't finite, it is quite easy to farm once you have access to the chasm in the dlc.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

Umm that's not a very "honorable" thing to do. Breaking out the "cheap" tactics because the guy didn't bow is just some self fellating bullshit.

Here's how to play fair: always try to do whatever you can to win. If your opponent does the same then you're looking at a good match.

That's great until you get the guy wearing Mask of the Father and Giant armor with multiple slots of Pursuers and Dark Bead.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Miijhal posted:

That's great until you get the guy wearing Mask of the Father and Giant armor with multiple slots of Pursuers and Dark Bead.

How does "try to do whatever you can to win" not apply in that situation? I mean, I've beaten guys with similar builds, they usually aren't great players.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
What I take from the video is that the code or rules they follow aren't supposed to be honorable. They just let people have more fun with pvp through limitation of supposed bullshit tactics. I could see how if everybody was backstab fishing it would suck the fun out of this part of the game.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Miijhal posted:

Dodging Dark Bead and Pursuers is easy after you get used to them. Especially if the player is bad.

There's been only one or two cases in recent history where I died to dark magic and that was because I didn't expect it. Apart from that? Roll away or through Dark Bead, Dark Bead them yourself when they try to Pursuers you.

E: also any notion of honor can go gently caress itself. Rules you both agree on are fine, that's about it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Basically nobody likes the lightning uchigatana-wielding pivot-backstabbing ninja-flipping assholes.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Internet Kraken posted:

Humanity isn't finite, it is quite easy to farm once you have access to the chasm in the dlc.

Well if you are fighting someone who has the opportunity to pop 198 humanities in one go I think both of you have enormous problems.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Nobody likes Dark Souls PvP.

Nobody likes Dark Souls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I know that invaders don't draw aggro from enemies, but can they kill the enemies? It seems like it might be fun to play as a "friendly" invader in the Burg, killing tough enemies for drops, unlocking shortcuts, and showing where items are.

And then dropping a humanity for them to pick up and one-shotting them with a backstab once you get to a good stopping place.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

They can't kill enemies, no. That was true of Demon's Souls, though.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I appreciate that it exists as a gameplay component but I don't care to go out of my way for it. I prefer co-op. That way when the Honorable Jedi invades and expects a fair one-on-one fight with the people he is inconveniencing I can give him a face full of fire for his trouble.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I still bow personally. Old Demon's Souls habits die hard I guess, but I don't begrudge anyone you manages to take advantage of it. Its all about the long distance bows for the best combo of safety and style.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I don't understand why someone would expect a guy forcing his way into their world to fight fairly. If you want honorable battle that's what red signs and dragonbros are for.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Actually those are for farming souls by backstabbing them right as they spawn.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Dragonwagon posted:

I don't understand why someone would expect a guy forcing his way into their world to fight fairly. If you want honorable battle that's what red signs and dragonbros are for.

I have the red soapstone but I've never used it. I know you have to be unhollowed to drop it; if you lose do you respawn unhollowed still or do you need to burn a humanity to do it again?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dragonwagon posted:

Exactly. If I am invading someone, I am there to kill them. Well occasionally I am there to do something silly but that is my prerogative as the invader.

There's also the fact that invasions are meant to balance out how easy most of the fights get with co-op. That's the risk you take when you want to make a boss encounter much easier, and as a bonus, your buddy can help you kill the darkwraith.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Guys I'm trying a SL1 darkwraith run and drat, everytime I try to pvp at gargs I get wiped against the floor like an old mop. I try to use pyromancy/throw dungpies but they usually strafe and stab my back. What are the keen strats?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I had one of those ninja-flipping-with-an-Uchigatana fuckers invade me yesterday while I was doing Anor Londo. I started shooting lightning spears at him and he flipped right off the edge of the platform near the ramp up by the two Silver Archers and I got free souls and a laugh.

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009

Lord Humongus posted:

Guys I'm trying a SL1 darkwraith run and drat, everytime I try to pvp at gargs I get wiped against the floor like an old mop. I try to use pyromancy/throw dungpies but they usually strafe and stab my back. What are the keen strats?

If your characters only used for darkwraithing, you can go up to SL11 and still invade everyone, this lets you get a bit of dex for weapons like the Uchi, then you can proceed to just walk up and attack into their guard a few times to bleed them with it.

Upgrading your gear also helps out a ton, an ascended pyro flame should be 2-3 shotting most low levels with great combustion. You should also be using a lightning/chaos weapon.

What armor set are you using?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I just finished the game.

It's strange, for the last 25% or so of the game I basically was more powerful than anything the game could throw at me. The last 4 or 5 bosses all fell in under a minute each. My ascendancy to godhood was complete, but as the credits rolled, instead of elation I felt only weariness from the long journey and relief that it was over, tempered with uncertainty as I assumed a new mantle of divine responsibility.

In summation, :darksouls:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 12, 2012

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:

Kamer Kamer Cola posted:

If your characters only used for darkwraithing, you can go up to SL11 and still invade everyone, this lets you get a bit of dex for weapons like the Uchi, then you can proceed to just walk up and attack into their guard a few times to bleed them with it.

Upgrading your gear also helps out a ton, an ascended pyro flame should be 2-3 shotting most low levels with great combustion. You should also be using a lightning/chaos weapon.

What armor set are you using?

Crimson robes, also using R.club and Grass Crest Shield.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

NeurosisHead posted:

I have the red soapstone but I've never used it. I know you have to be unhollowed to drop it; if you lose do you respawn unhollowed still or do you need to burn a humanity to do it again?

You come up at your last bonfire still unhollowed, your bloodstain is dropped where you were when you were summoned. Like any other invasion basically.
Also I use a fire uchigatana and pivot people. On the other hand I'm base SL and mostly wear nothing but a sack.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Slate Action posted:

I just finished the game.

It's strange, for the last 25% or so of the game I basically was more powerful than anything the game could throw at me. The last 4 or 5 bosses all fell in under a minute each. My ascendancy to godhood was complete, but as the credits rolled, instead of elation I felt only weariness from the long journey and relief that it was over, tempered with uncertainty as I assumed a new mantle of divine responsibility.

In summation, :darksouls:

Just gonna quote this.

Shima Honnou posted:

At first, you fail everyone you've ever met and go to the Kiln not to succeed but to finally die, a broken hollow with nothing to return to.

Then you start from the beginning again.

Later on you will slaughter literally every person in the game for their precious loots and then go stomp Gwyn so that you can invade people dressed as him.

That's when the real Dark Souls starts.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To be honest, now that I've beaten the game I think what I'm gonna do rather than playing it again right away is try to convince other people to play the game and watch them suffer. For me that's the real Dark Souls.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found this guy with a lady in a cage beneath Firelink... should I kill him? I want to.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

sector_corrector posted:

I found this guy with a lady in a cage beneath Firelink... should I kill him? I want to.

No*! He's a friend, man. What's wrong with you?

*t yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

sector_corrector posted:

If you kill him while he's in Firelink, you won't get to do something really cool in Anor Londo.

• Locked thread