Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltnarok
Dec 27, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

The 27th, on both DVD and Blu-Ray. I'm glad they were able to get the (main, at least) cast back, it felt like the original dub was spot-on.

Thanks for the link. Pre-ordered the blu-ray! Hope it gets here the day it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Man, I am not used to seeing an anime Blu-ray for that cheap.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think piracy has actually forced down the costs they're able to charge. Anyway I'm buying that poo poo for Christmas.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It also probably helps that it's a slightly-over hour long movie. As a quick counterexample, Hellsing Ultimate is $42 for 4 45-minute episodes.

v Must be some horrible Gundam tax.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 19, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

And then you see Gundam Unicorn's prices. Episode 1 still starts at $35 new, and goes up to $132 :psyduck:.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Really awesome that the CGI is getting better with each film. Didn't Miura ask them if they could adapt the Black Swordsman chapters next?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

Really awesome that the CGI is getting better with each film. Didn't Miura ask them if they could adapt the Black Swordsman chapters next?

Please god let this be true. I just want to see that first battle against Griffith animated.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
So Doldrey is out on Bluray now and it's, well, Doldrey animated by 4c.

There have been some improvements from the first Golden Age film, but there were also some very strange additions and changes. Technically speaking, the 3D animation is better. It's still awful and awkward, but it's better. The animators also can't seem to decide on just how long Griffith's hair should be. That being said, most of the animation is a lot cleaner than it was in Egg of the King. It's very clear, however, that they are trying to move away from the 3Dcg and I assume by the time we get to Black Swordsman/Lost Children it will be gone completely.

Edit: They use a LOT of 3Dcg in the movie, but I can't tell if its more or less than Egg of the King because they intersperse the placement of it more appropriately and often integrate it with more 2D than they did in the prior film. I have mixed feelings about it, but it's undeniably an improvement.

Gonna put some stuff under spoiler tags so anyone who wants to watch the film itself without knowing the changes can, but here are the major issues with the film.

For a film that is trying to adapt the series better than the TV show, they have cut out a lot of bizarre things. For example Guts and Casca's cave scene is hugely altered. There is very little development there, and instead most of their development occurs during a scene where they dance at the Midland ball. The changes to most of Casca's scenes make her more victimized than in the manga or anime, and I can't tell for what purpose because her vague sexualization serves a purpose in the comics but has yet to serve a concrete purpose in the movies. This is hugely problematic, specifically when considering the pacing of the film which suffers from this aspect. This however, isn't the biggest issue. The film completely leaves out the Queen. Her death, her assassination plot against Griffith, everything. How this makes sense I have no goddamn clue. I really don't understand what 4c was thinking doing that. I'm sure it will get dealt with one way or another in the later films, but it doesn't give me hope. There's also a neat Promo for Descent at the end of the movie.

The worst change, however, was the all but removal of Gennon from the movie. They removed Griffith's backstory from him, and made his harem of Griffith clones HAPPY TO BE WITH HIM instead of traumatized young boys. They also removed Griffith's excellent "I feel nothing" line. 4c is trying really hard to get rid of all the gay in Berserk fear alienating the MASCULINE MANLY MAN GAR audience. It seems that instead using the time on actually adapting the story the way it was written they just decided to show Casca in sexually victimized positions.

Rebuild of Berserk 2.0 is okay, but there are some major issues with it. If you didn't like the first film chances are you probably won't like this one. We'll have to wait until the Golden Age is over to see if 4C will be capable of handling the rest of the series.

Edit: On a related note, the English dub of the first film actually makes it better. The entire cast didn't return, but Griffith, Guts, Casca, and Judeau have excellent performances by their original actors.

laplace fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 12, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

They even got Sean Schemmel back for Gaston's two or so lines! I really liked the casting for the show, so I'm glad they got the main guys back, plus Zodd and Charlotte (Corkus sounds way different though).

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

They even got Sean Schemmel back for Gaston's two or so lines! I really liked the casting for the show, so I'm glad they got the main guys back, plus Zodd and Charlotte (Corkus sounds way different though).

Yeah, Corkus is an entirely different actor, unfortunately. Charlotte is the ever wonderful Rachel Lillis.

I actually watched all of the dubs for the first film just to see what it was like in other languages, and while I think the English is the best, the French actors sound the most real. I'm pretty sure it's because they are actual AV actors as opposed to voice-only actors.

Casca's German voice fits her the most out of all of the tracks, I think. But French is just so perfect for the Berserk universe. It's sort of alarming how well it fits. French Griffith and Guts sound just like they look like they'd sound if they were real people. The only problem is the actual quality of that dub being pretty low.

Overall though, Kevin T. Collins as Griffith is pretty much the only way to go for that character.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

laplace posted:

Edit: On a related note, the English dub of the first film actually makes it better. The entire cast didn't return, but Griffith, Guts, Casca, and Judeau have excellent performances by their original actors.

I had been meaning to post the same thing - I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of it. The actors (and their direction, for that matter) has improved so much, I think the only comparison I can make is the difference between Funimation's DBZ and Kai dubs, it's such a huge improvement. My only issue with it is, and it could just be my setup, it sounded like the actual volume of the voices was a bit higher than it should have been and kind of drowned out the music\sound at times. I switched between both audio tracks just to be sure and it really did sound like there was a difference between the Japanese and English tracks.

I also like that they even made the weird flashback scene with Gambino a little better with lines that are actually (gasp) understandable.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

I had been meaning to post the same thing - I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of it. The actors (and their direction, for that matter) has improved so much, I think the only comparison I can make is the difference between Funimation's DBZ and Kai dubs, it's such a huge improvement. My only issue with it is, and it could just be my setup, it sounded like the actual volume of the voices was a bit higher than it should have been and kind of drowned out the music\sound at times. I switched between both audio tracks just to be sure and it really did sound like there was a difference between the Japanese and English tracks.

I also like that they even made the weird flashback scene with Gambino a little better with lines that are actually (gasp) understandable.

That's a pretty common issue with English/Japanese tracks. If you have a dual-audio video file sitting around, try flipping between the audio. Most of the time, the English track is a lot louder for reasons that I assume have to do with how the tracks themselves are recompiled.

But yeah, you're totally right. While I love the original TV series and the dub for it as well, the actual direction for the characters and acting is just so good in this new movie. I actually bumped the score I gave it on MAL up a point because I thought the dub actually made the movie that much stronger from a directorial standpoint.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Actually gave me chills. No Hyperbole.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The only thing I need to know about this dub is if it has any outtakes or not :colbert:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

The only thing I need to know about this dub is if it has any outtakes or not :colbert:

Nope, the only extras are a trailer for Neon Alley and some production drawings.

It's weird because the dub itself is great but the actual release is pretty :effort:. I was really hoping they would put in something like the original pilot that was pitched to Miura because I've only ever seen clips of it here and there.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

Nope, the only extras are a trailer for Neon Alley and some production drawings.

It's weird because the dub itself is great but the actual release is pretty :effort:. I was really hoping they would put in something like the original pilot that was pitched to Miura because I've only ever seen clips of it here and there.

Yeah. When I went to the store to pick up the DVD I almost thought it was like a Chinese knockoff import because its so plane-jane bland and awkwardly designed.

The DVD itself is also kind of low quality but, it worked.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Boscogn's death has been uploaded online: (spoilers, obviously) http://vimeo.com/55362937

All I can say is :laffo: they chose to go with throwing a flag over having Zodd toss down his sword, what in the gently caress? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

Boscogn's death has been uploaded online: (spoilers, obviously) http://vimeo.com/55362937

All I can say is :laffo: they chose to go with throwing a flag over having Zodd toss down his sword, what in the gently caress? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

I honestly do not understand 4C's design decisions with this film series at all. They make interesting things like Tekkon Kinkreet, Mind Game, and Detroit Metal City (which are well animated on small budgets) yet when they get actual money to work with Berserk they just...

Do this.

Overall though, I thought that scene wasn't awful compared to some of the other.... issues in the movie. It was a dumb change, but it wasn't the dumbest change they made.

It's not nearly as bad as them basically all-but removing Gennon from the movie, removing Griffith's backstory from him, and making his harem of Griffith clones HAPPY TO BE WITH HIM instead of traumatized young boys. Yeah. That pissed me right the hell off.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It is a bad movie adaptation beep boop

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

laplace posted:

I honestly do not understand 4C's design decisions with this film series at all.

Blame whoever is funding them and ultimately calling the shots about what this project is or isn't supposed to achieve.

But as said before, it's probably a lot easier to create any of those previous works (in particular, their original ones) than turning Berserk into a film series. Especially since fully covering such a high density of material demands a lot more running time and that's not cheap. If they can't use more minutes for it, stuff's going to be mercilessly cut out of necessity.

Dumb changes are more or less inevitable when you really have to compromise so much.

wielder fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 12, 2012

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
As awesome as the third movie looks I don't think I can watch it. I have a hard enough time reading the part where Caska gets raped that I couldn't stomach seeing it in glorious HD. I'm just a big pussy I guess. :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

jsun posted:

As awesome as the third movie looks I don't think I can watch it. I have a hard enough time reading the part where Caska gets raped that I couldn't stomach seeing it in glorious HD. I'm just a big pussy I guess. :(

Naw, it's uncomfortable as hell. The animation looks like a big improvement too which will likely make it even worse. :smith:

I'm still excited as hell at the prospect of getting post-Eclipse stuff animated, poo poo like the fight with Mozgus should at least look pretty awesome.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I don't blame you at all, it was hard enough in the final episode. And I'm already a little skeeved at this one being much longer than the other two films, seeing as much of it is probably going to be the Eclipse, in glorious HD. Good thing they've been improving their CGI, I can't wait to see everybody get torn apart :gonk:

Do we know anything about the films past Golden Age? I know it's not going to have the non-ending of the show thanks to Skully's inclusion, but it'd still be nice to know that there's more to come after the emotional slog that is the Eclipse.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That video linked is just plain awful. The Golden Age arc worked well because most of the action was plausible or done realistically. Having characters like Gascogne loving gib people breaks the later arcs of having demons doing what was previously shown to the viewer as impossible. Removing the viewer's perception that Gutz is totally in his own league and unique other than the SK is a horrible idea.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think I enjoy the trailers for these movies more than the movies themselves. They promise greatness, which the films themselves ultimately don't live up to.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Ccs posted:

I think I enjoy the trailers for these movies more than the movies themselves. They promise greatness, which the films themselves ultimately don't live up to.

I have to agree, though I'm probably just being a stickler cause I really like Berserk. Well, if they do animate the stuff after golden age, I'll be getting that regardless since it'll be brand new. For animated golden age, I'm satisfied with the old 97 tv series.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot to mention, but some of the manga characters have cameos in the movie.

Farnese and Serpico: http://i.imgur.com/O3XS7.jpg
Puck: http://i.imgur.com/UDRJb.jpg

Also, canon Griffith dong in the later part of the film, as well as an extremely long and graphic sex scene. Unexpected surprises everywhere, it seems.

As much as I am a grumpus about the film's content and 3Dcg, the 2D animation is undeniably great and is one of the few reasons I actually sat through the film, as sparse as it may be.

laplace fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've given up hope on the movies as an adaptation of the Golden Age, I just hope they mix up the people working on it for the later arcs or something, whatever it takes to do justice to the previously unadapted material.

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

Aaahahhaha, what the gently caress did I just watch?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Awesome Welles posted:

Congrats on ruining one of my favourite loving scenes from The Golden Age arc, jesus.

I actually didn't mind the first movie, when it seemed like they were just skipping stuff for brevity's sake but that's... Poor.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm thinking maybe they thought it was necessary to do that because people wouldn't remember what Zodd's human form looked like (cause he was only in the first movie for a few minutes in a scene with low light) so they'd be left thinking "Wait, who was that guy? Why'd he throw Guts a sword?"

But then again this is a film series where the intro credits show a bunch of characters that don't actually appear in the film, so it seems stupid to leave out a good part just because newcomers might be a little confused.

I dunno.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

Ccs posted:

it seems stupid to leave out a good part

I am really sad that every persons descriptions of events in the movies basically leads to taking away this opinion. So much of Miura's foreshadowing seems to be completely ignored for brevity and ease of access, which to me sounds like a race to the bottom. I probably won't buy these or give them a glance at this rate.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, a lot of my opinion of the films hinge on whether it was 4C's decision to do three relatively short Golden Age movies instead of, say, a TV series.

If it was 4C's decision to compress it that much, gently caress them. That's an absolutely moronic thing to do considering it's about a third of the manga so far. However, if they weren't given any choice in the matter, then honestly I'd say they're doing a pretty stand-up job; while a lot of really cool stuff from the manga is getting taken out, the first movie at the very least holds up pretty well on its own.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

WickedIcon posted:

the first movie at the very least holds up pretty well on its own.

Ehhhhh I don't know about all that. Nothing that happens in that movie has any build up or makes much sense. It's a bunch of scenes that either look really good or look like a dog just pinched them out, then it ends.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Ehhhhh I don't know about all that. Nothing that happens in that movie has any build up or makes much sense. It's a bunch of scenes that either look really good or look like a dog just pinched them out, then it ends.

It feels like watching a youtube playlist of scenes cut out from a much longer TV show. The second movie almost remedies this but, most of the time misses the mark.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
oh come on guys the second movie can't be THAT b

My god. What have they done. WHAT DID YOU DOOOOOOO

EDIT: didnt even realise the crossbow was upside down until after i posted it, holy gently caress

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The greatness of the Jojo adaptation has spoiled me on others. Miura's magnificent art deserves billion-dollar budgets to do it justice in moving picture form. :(

Niccy Bones
Mar 27, 2011

Popehoist posted:

oh come on guys the second movie can't be THAT b

My god. What have they done. WHAT DID YOU DOOOOOOO

EDIT: didnt even realise the crossbow was upside down until after i posted it, holy gently caress

Hahahaha I'm just going to skip this one, 3rd one will be a thing.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Soulcleaver posted:

The greatness of the Jojo adaptation has spoiled me on others. Miura's magnificent art deserves billion-dollar budgets to do it justice in moving picture form. :(

JoJo and Hellsing Ultimate really captured their art styles perfectly, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's weird, there are all these articles out there saying the second movie is better than the first (like this one: http://kotaku.com/5922239/the-second-berserk-movie-is-better-than-the-first) but from the looks of it that is definitely not true.

Backgrounds still look really pretty though. I'll give them that.