Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Ian McLean posted:

Did well in the Python Class. Had to drop the quantum mechanics class.

You don't say...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

2. What are the differences between multithreading and VLIW
Parallelism exploitation, form the point of view of a compiler (i.e.,
what would a compiler have to do for a VLIW machine, and what for a
multithreaded one; assume the machines cannot do both).
the answer to this is "why the hell are you talking about vliw in tyoal 2012"

Ian McLean posted:

GCC and Intel compiler stuff. Non-Trivial stuff. Everyone running around saying what is trivial and what isn't. lol
you couldn't construct a non-trivial question about compilers

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ahahahah

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

if i lived in the states id defo make fake kickstarters as my career

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Are you a part time student Ian?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

7,459 backers

$170,954 pledged of $100,000 goal

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
Code Hero: A Game That Teaches You To Make Games
by Alex Peake

quote:

Code Hero: a game that teaches you how to make games! Your Code Ray shoots Javascript in Unity 3D. Hack the planet: Become a code hero!

7,459 backers
$170,954 pledged of $100,000 goal

oh hey that does sound pretty cool actually i wonder how the project's getting on

Dustin Deckard posted:

about 19 hours ago
To anyone keeping an eye on this space - a modest number of Code Hero backers have reached out to me, sharing information and requesting to be kept "in the loop" with any of our collective findings. You should know, right off the bat, that based on what we've found (and been told) - Alex Peake seems to have run out of money after spending it recklessly, and doesn't plan on continuing with this project. There are well over 1000 backers out there who pledged for physical rewards. And, tragically, 6 backers who pledged at the $1k level who thought their money would be well spent on an educational tool for schools.
As I've said before - I'm sort of desperate to be proven wrong about all of this. An update on the status and future of Code Hero would be more than welcome. But, should that update never come, all backers should feel free to email me at:
codeheroclassaction@gmail.com
Please provide only whatever details or information you are comfortable sharing. This may include your pledge level, pledge amount, if you have attempted to contact Alex or Primer Labs, if you've requested a refund, etc.
Please note that this is an early attempt at organizing backers of Code Hero into a group where we can better communicate. No legal papers have been filed at this time.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
lol. The best part is he's still sharing stupid poo poo on his facebook and going all gung ho on social media.

this guy gonna get sueeeeeeed

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

and this, friends, is the new definition of "hacker"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

:ironicat:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Code Hero comments posted:

it sucks seeing lots of other game projects fail on Kickstarter and knowing that this one raised $170k, most of it being in the last 48 hours

create kickstarter with semi-reasonable deadline and funding target

wait until deadline is almost met, make sure project is over 5% funded

fund rest of project yourself

kickstarter takes their 5%

profit?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2066438441/haunts-the-manse-macabre

lol

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ian can't even scam money out of people like the pros

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

paging the estate of edward gorey

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
wat
the
gently caress

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pennyarcade/penny-arcade-sells-out

seriously murder all loving nerds this is out of hand

edit: best part about this is before they sold out they actually thought kickstarter was terrible

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

JawnV6 posted:

where can i read a good book about cpu architecture cause its interesting but i didnt learn it in college

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Cryin Burnigan posted:

where can i read a good book about cpu architecture cause its interesting but i didnt learn it in college

are you looking for like a novel-type book or a textbook?

if you want a textbook, both Patterson and Hennessy books are good

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Orga...tion+and+design
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Architecture-Fifth-Quantitative-Approach/dp/012383872X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1355352113&sr=1-2

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

yeah, my systems course used the first one (which reminds me, i should buy it again so i can finish the course) and it's pretty good.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Vicas posted:

yeah, my systems course used the first one (which reminds me, i should buy it again so i can finish the course) and it's pretty good.

the first one is the undergrad book, the second one is the grad book (although the grad book isn't really any more complicated or anything, it just selectively picks topics and goes into more detail rather than generally covering everything)

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

i was looking for textbooks thanks

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

No matter how long it takes, I'll keep supporting the game and I'm very eager to see the final product. In case you need additional music, I could give it a shot if you'd like me to; I've done music for about nine years now and I've been involved in a number of projects; A couple of flash games, indie short films, and currently a puppet show. I certainly don't consider myself a professional but I like to compose something every month of the year. If you're interested, I could show you some of my work privately and then you're welcome to judge if you'd need me to work for you. You don't have to worry about costs; I consider this a hobby and I'm glad to help out even for free if need be.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

JawnV6 posted:

lol i literally had to do a multiprocessing vs. VLIW question in an exam a couple of days ago. it was in the context of vector processing, SIMD extensions and GPUs though so i guess it's okay.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

why would they do that to poor ada

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

as a code professional, i can tell you i would be lost most days without my 3d code gun

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

maniacdevnull posted:

as a code professional, i can tell you i would be lost most days without my 3d code gun

sometimes i see a pretty lady and i can't help it and suddenly there are for loops all over the loving place :(

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

maniacdevnull posted:

i hope you have a license for that sir

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
yeah it's the GPL :sigh:

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
are you required to provide somebody with a full copy of the license text before you shoot them with a gplv3 gun

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
no but when the cops have you surrounded and order you to surrender your gun to them you have to comply if you don't want to end up in legal trouble

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pierogi posted:

It's perfect. Ian, good luck with your unlimited hosting plan.

what part of "lean" startup dont you understand

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

0xB16B00B5 posted:

what part of "lean" startup dont you understand

The one that follows "Ian Mc"

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

TURBO BUTTON posted:

are you required to provide somebody with a full copy of the license text before you shoot them with a gplv3 gun

No I'm not a subject to those laws I'm a sovereign coder

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Pierogi posted:

The one that follows "Ian Mc"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

neogaf posted:

The guy's previouisly failed business venture was selling Tactical Corsets:

They took a bunch of orders, never delivered any merchandise, and then promptly shut down the website.

Their Facebook TimeLine is pretty hilarious. The dude just spams non-stop about how his Code Hero Kickstarter needs support. He even has the balls to say "I will resume making Tactical Corsets once Code Hero launches."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

doesnt the kickstarter terms and conditions rule out class action lawsuits?

• Locked thread