Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Factory posted:

Did anyone else order the Inverted Lightning Bolt copy of Blunderbuss?
I never received a shipping confirmation, but I'm hearing that they shipped out to Europe before the US, and often times they dont send out shipping confirmation emails.

Hell yeah, we should be getting them in time for xmas! New Jack White Vault package on the way too and I have another parcel coming with some black friday deals:

- white stripes "meg" camera
- white stripes mini theramin
- racontuers stylophone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Factory posted:

I never received a shipping confirmation, but I'm hearing that they shipped out to Europe before the US, and often times they dont send out shipping confirmation emails.

I didn't get any word about this yet, but they just send me an email about the my Vault package going out (They gave me a tracking number too.). If you look at the boards on the Vault website there's been a bit of chatter about people getting their lightning bolts.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Factory posted:

I'm in Australia, I got a shipping confirmation email about 30 hours ago with a tracking number, so they are definitely on their way. I just ordered the record, no vault package.

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
So I'm looking to get a turntable and after looking around town I've found a few options for used equipment. If someone could give me a rundown on which ones would be the best quality for the asking price that would be great.

Sansiu SR-7090 automatic turntable for $130
Technics SL-B1 for $80
Kenwood KD-2070 Turntable with a new Empire 150 Cartridge for $80
Technics SL-Q200 for $110
There is also a Technics SL-BD20D available but it's rather outside my price range.

Also, is there difference in sound quality or reliability between manual and automatic turntables?

Thanks.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Do any of you guys have James And Bobby Purify* - I'm Your Puppet (7", Single) that you'd sell? I need it for a Christmas present and the only discogs ones are in Germany, so they might not get here in time.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Durp posted:

So I'm looking to get a turntable and after looking around town I've found a few options for used equipment. If someone could give me a rundown on which ones would be the best quality for the asking price that would be great.

Sansiu SR-7090 automatic turntable for $130
Technics SL-B1 for $80
Kenwood KD-2070 Turntable with a new Empire 150 Cartridge for $80
Technics SL-Q200 for $110
There is also a Technics SL-BD20D available but it's rather outside my price range.

Also, is there difference in sound quality or reliability between manual and automatic turntables?

Thanks.

That Q200 is a great table but not for that price.

Actually I wouldn't pay any of those prices, they are insane. You shouldn't pay more than $30 or $40 for a used, good condition old turntable.

alg fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 12, 2012

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

It really sucks that the prices of decent vintage turntables are so drat high on eBay. I've been going to thrift stores with no luck too (although I did score some .99 cent albums at a salvation army). Anyone know of any places around RI or south eastern Mass that I'd have better luck with?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Has anyone gotten the new Crystal Castles yet? Amazon says they have no idea when it might arrive. I don't know how to order big label stuff.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World

One of my all-time favorite albums. I spent more money on this than I wanted to and asked the guy to ship it with the records in plain sleeves outside of the jacket. He didn't, so now the inner sleeves and jacket are all torn up. Awesome.

The third side plays from the inside-out and the 7" has one locked groove on it and nothing else. Pretty neat.

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.

alg posted:

Actually I wouldn't pay any of those prices, they are insane. You shouldn't pay more than $30 or $40 for a used, good condition old turntable.

Well, drat. The ones I posted were what I found after checking record stores and online, I guess I might try some pawn shops and second hand stores to see if there is something more reasonable. Thanks for the tip.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World

One of my all-time favorite albums. I spent more money on this than I wanted to and asked the guy to ship it with the records in plain sleeves outside of the jacket. He didn't, so now the inner sleeves and jacket are all torn up. Awesome.

The third side plays from the inside-out and the 7" has one locked groove on it and nothing else. Pretty neat.

This is also one of my favorite records. drat, nice find.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

mono posted:

It really sucks that the prices of decent vintage turntables are so drat high on eBay. I've been going to thrift stores with no luck too (although I did score some .99 cent albums at a salvation army). Anyone know of any places around RI or south eastern Mass that I'd have better luck with?

I haven't actually been there, but you might want to give Stereo Discount Center in Providence a call. I know they deal with turntable stuff. I heard about them through the Armageddon Shop, so they're probably a good place to deal with.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
http://www.ainr.com/item_dcfc.html

$225 for this? Sure, getting original pressings on ebay will cost more than that, but these are reissues. It should be $120 max. Barsuk did a similar box set for Nada Surf reissues and it was only $100. I understand that it's limited to 1500 copies but the Nada Surf set was limited to 1000.

edit: Oh they are signed by the band.

I just hope that they are also releasing the albums separately outside of the box set. I have all of them aside from the forbidden love EP which has never been released on vinyl and you can play these songs with chords (which I don't really care about) and the completist in me doesn't want to pay $225 for the EP.

edit again:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/87952/Death_Cab_for_Cutie-The_Barsuk_Years-Vinyl_Box_Sets

$330 here and won't ship until over a month after the official release. What a joke.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 12, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the Fleetwood Mac re-press of Rumours is gonna be $99. lmao

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

GutBomb posted:

http://www.ainr.com/item_dcfc.html

$225 for this? Sure, getting original pressings on ebay will cost more than that, but these are reissues. It should be $120 max. Barsuk did a similar box set for Nada Surf reissues and it was only $100. I understand that it's limited to 1500 copies but the Nada Surf set was limited to 1000.

Artist in Residence stuff is always really expensive. They make nice sets apparently, but I've never bought one.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

the artwork with Subservient gently caress - Kill EP is incredible.

hardcore bands :allears:

edit: Is he a punk? No he's an ex-punk!!

alg fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 12, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

alg posted:

the Fleetwood Mac re-press of Rumours is gonna be $99. lmao

I can go into any record store in my city and find 3 copies of Rumors for $5, why would I pay $100 for it? I'm not sure a reissue at any price makes sense for a record that's so common, but I could see people paying $15 to get a brand new clean copy.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

eggsovereasy posted:

I can go into any record store in my city and find 3 copies of Rumors for $5, why would I pay $100 for it? I'm not sure a reissue at any price makes sense for a record that's so common, but I could see people paying $15 to get a brand new clean copy.

it comes with a whole bunch of poo poo. you have to get the "deluxe edition" to get the record.

i don't want CDs or DVDs or whatever.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
FYI: I think the new Converge finally shipped. Got a tracking number today for that order, but there was no further info. It's either that or poo poo is really getting pushed back and they're sending the other stuff.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

dflanny posted:

Artist in Residence stuff is always really expensive. They make nice sets apparently, but I've never bought one.

I have the Sigur Ros set and while the packaging is a little flimsy, it was cheaper than the DCFC set. I think the increase in price is worth it if the quality of the packaging is better. The records themselves are excellent.

I really want that obscene Pixies boxset.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
In honor of the late great:

All three are a bit crackly, but considering I scored Jazz Goes to College and Time Further Out for a dollar each at Goodwill, and Time Out cost me :10bux:, I think I did pretty well for the combined price of a meal at Chipotle.

They're all mono. I think Time Out is the only repressing there (2nd pressing circa 1960, so.....:rolleyes:).

Amazing what you can find in the thrift stores in rich towns (Westport, CT).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 13, 2012

carpet twine
Sep 9, 2007
lurk less

alg posted:

it comes with a whole bunch of poo poo. you have to get the "deluxe edition" to get the record.

I saw a new pressing of the vinyl by itself yesterday at the chain drug store of all places. It was $20. If I can find it by itself at a drug store in Canada, I'm sure it's able to be purchased elsewhere too.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
It's not a 200 gram press, is it? Those Zeppelin ones are still going for crazy prices.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just went to a store I don't go to so frequently and they had a first press of In The Wake Of Poseidon by King Crimson. Cover is pretty good with only a little edgewear, the disc doesn't have any light scuffing or scratches at all. They put it on hold for me until I get paid next week :3:

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
My copy of the Avalanches' Since I Left You - the original Modular pressing - arrived and it is AMAZING. I've had the XL pressing for a while and loved it, but the original samples are an unalloyed revelation. Instantly one of my favorite records in my collection and well worth the absurd price I paid for it; if you have any affection for this record whatsoever, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy when it inevitably gets reissued in like a week or two now that Modular knows I paid a butthole-constricting price to get mine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

alg posted:

What is the loving market for this?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I know tons of people who have to have everything by their favorite band, and I'm guilty of trying to do that myself. There's definitely more than one Fleetwood Mac completionist collector out there.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Yea, my cd collection in my garage is full of "import singles" and dumb poo poo like that. Back in the days of physical media I was one of those "must have everything" type of people when it came to certain bands.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cheapandugly posted:

I know tons of people who have to have everything by their favorite band, and I'm guilty of trying to do that myself. There's definitely more than one Fleetwood Mac completionist collector out there.

Yeah, but seriously? A loving hundred dollar copy of Rumors?

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Maybe they're playing it on their $5000 turntable with wooden knobs and silver speaker wire.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

cheapandugly posted:

Maybe they're playing it on their $5000 turntable with wooden knobs and silver speaker wire.

If you spend any less than 15K on a turntable you might as well just use the thing as a door stop.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Your platter should also hover because magnets make everything better.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 13, 2012

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Incorrect, you cannot use $15,000 moving coil cartridges on a table with a ferrous platter.

It needs to be a 12kg non-magnetic alloy platter driven by a tiny elastic band and gutless electric motor.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I play all my records by laying it on a table, putting a rusty nail to the vinyl, and running circles around it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I play all my records by laying it on a table, putting a rusty nail to the vinyl, and running circles around it.

CDs just can't match the warmth of a record played with a rusty nail.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

My parents got a catalog from Music Direct after buying something from them to give to me last year and my dad was looking through it and just blown away by the prices of turntables. He asked me what makes it worth $3000+ and I just didn't have an answer for him. It's like those audiophiles with their modified Playstation CD Players because you can really tell the difference in tonal quality of this compressed digital audio source.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Things cost exactly what someone will pay for it and not a penny less.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mellon Collie came and it's beautiful :fap:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Thanks, Amazon! Kinda wish it had the original vinyl tracklisting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
It's so good that they put that out, since it's a really great album. Some of the tracks on the original CD release of that albums sound abysmal. Tales of a Scorched Earth comes to mind, since that was one of my favorite tracks on that album as a 13 year old who hadn't discovered metal yet. I remember Zero sounding kind of bad too. I'd love to hear some reactions.

The Pumpkins have a good track record with vinyl, too. Anyone remember Machina II? They only pressed 25 sets on vinyl and that was it. They just gave them to some friends and devoted fans and told them to rip it and spread it around the Internet. The standard rip that went around back then was kind of crappy, though I think.

glompix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 13, 2012