Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BCR posted:

I've only lived in QLD (The best state).

Normally I would let blatant lies like this go, but the end result might be that some poor bastard actually believes you and moves to QLD, and that would just be unthinkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

When foreigners think of Australia they think of beach's, sunshine and the Great Barrier Reef. All in QLD. And maybe one token shot of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and a roo/koala.

QLD: Average yearly days of sunshine is 263, average of 25C and has cold beer.

Gold Coast:
* Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. Pet a roo, hold a koala and then go surfing at Currumbin rocks and have a beer at the surf club.
* Surfers Paradise: nightlife and party zone plus beach.

Fraser Island: The only national park I can think of that lets you rip along the beach at 100KM+ at the waters edge. Plus the biggest sand island in the world.

Whitsundays: Tropical heaven.

The Great Barrier Reef: Nuff said.

Brisbane: An actual functional city unlike Sydney, and warm unlike moody Melbourne.

If you go to NSW you'll meet people like Trent.

BCR fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 11, 2012

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Another pro-Queensland person here, I live in CQ, arguably the shittest part of QLD, and it's pretty rulin' honestly.

I'm partial to the Sunshine Coast over the GC because IMO the GC is tacky but that's just me.

I mean, there are lots of things about QLD that aren't great. The government for one thing but that doesn't affect tourists really so yeah hook in guys QLD is rad.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I only really "travelled" in Queensland once, as a tourist. I went all the way up the coast, from Brisbane to Cairns, with my mom, who's French and has a VERY strong French accent.

In Airlie Beach, the woman working the desk at the Youth Hostel told told the three of us, when my mom was buying a tour from the lady, "why can't these Germans just loving learn English before they come here", because her instructions on how to access the locker were TERRIBLE. My husband, who's as true blue Aussie as they come, didn't understand, and yet she says this in front of a person who also has an accent?

In about 90% of tourist shops up the coast, they have "gently caress off, we're full" T-Shirts. Seriously? Eventually me and my husband would walk in, have a look, and if they had those t-shirts we'd casually take my mom elsewhere.

I have travelled in basically the rest of Australia except Perth before, and I have never encountered the kind of racism you see even to tourists up in Queensland. Ever. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be Asian trying to visit without a tour group.

That said, the GBR is totally worth the fact that you have to interact with Queenslanders.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

HookShot posted:

I only really "travelled" in Queensland once, as a tourist. I went all the way up the coast, from Brisbane to Cairns, with my mom, who's French and has a VERY strong French accent.

In Airlie Beach, the woman working the desk at the Youth Hostel told told the three of us, when my mom was buying a tour from the lady, "why can't these Germans just loving learn English before they come here", because her instructions on how to access the locker were TERRIBLE. My husband, who's as true blue Aussie as they come, didn't understand, and yet she says this in front of a person who also has an accent?

In about 90% of tourist shops up the coast, they have "gently caress off, we're full" T-Shirts. Seriously? Eventually me and my husband would walk in, have a look, and if they had those t-shirts we'd casually take my mom elsewhere.

I have travelled in basically the rest of Australia except Perth before, and I have never encountered the kind of racism you see even to tourists up in Queensland. Ever. I can't even imagine what it must be like to be Asian trying to visit without a tour group.

That said, the GBR is totally worth the fact that you have to interact with Queenslanders.

I'm disgusted that you guys experienced treatment like that in tourist hotspots, of all places. Goodness knows that stupid moron in the YH wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for tourists. That's appalling! But please don't tar us all with the same brush, some of us are pro-tourism, pro-multiculturalism, generally tolerant and left wing people who are trying our best to make an impact on our demographics :(

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

gently caress Off We're Full is actually Queensland's license plate motto

Salt Maker
Feb 5, 2006
Halogen was already taken
I'm going to the Sunny Coast for a week, any recommendations other than Noosa?

I also could go to Fraser, but I've been living on Moreton for the past four months, so I'm a little over islands.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Sharks Below posted:

I'm disgusted that you guys experienced treatment like that in tourist hotspots, of all places. Goodness knows that stupid moron in the YH wouldn't have a job if it wasn't for tourists. That's appalling! But please don't tar us all with the same brush, some of us are pro-tourism, pro-multiculturalism, generally tolerant and left wing people who are trying our best to make an impact on our demographics :(

Thanks for the kind words! I lived in Queensland (Brisbane) for about two and a half years, for most of the time I lived in Australia, I had just hoped that my mom wouldn't experience any of that great Aussie racism while she was on her own vacation, and boy did that backfire!

I know there are good people in Queensland, I'm just also way too well aware that they're the minority. When your husband's really good friends start complaining about immigrants in front of you, and you point out that you're in fact also an immigrant, and the reply is "Yeah, but you're the right kind" you kind of start to lose hope in humanity!

It would be nice if people that worked in tourism actually realized that being literally openly racist to foreigners is not a thing that's acceptable, and to this day I have no idea why on EARTH that lady said that to us, but who knows. I do know north/central Queensland is the only place where I've ever seen that sort of thing happen.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 11, 2012

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Sharks Below posted:

My girlfriend who has lived in Australia literally her entire life but is Asian has had the same experiences as detailed above

I have at least 5 different stories from people who are African, Indian, Asian, Islander saying the same from when I worked in fast food.

I now work as a travel agent and people come back to me with these stories. I've actually deterred people from travelling to queensland because of it if they have any ethnic background other than pale white

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I don't blame you but I wish it didn't have to be that way :negative:

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.
Am I just having really bad luck or is it impossible to get bar work at this time of year in Sydney?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Have you got your RSA and are you physically going around the bars?

shep
Aug 31, 2003

I am sad because I am stuck with no bacon in the middle of the ocean.

BCR posted:

Have you got your RSA and are you physically going around the bars?

Yes to both, I've got ~7 years experience too but everywhere is either "not hiring" or "we'll take your resume and get back in touch"

I'm thinking I might have to dumb my experience down as my last job was as a bar manager and I've already been told that bartending work "might be beneath" me :/

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wouldn't bars/clubs/etc. already have their staffing locked down this time of year?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

It depends. Often they'll take a warm body to do the day shifts leaving the nights to more experienced people.

Yeah, you're not a bar manager, you're a plucky barman whose done 2 years on and off and know your way around a till and schooner.

For whatever reasons even if its disposable casual labour, mgmt doesn't like workers having options or the ability to leave at any time. Dumb down your resume to two years exp.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Who are you giving your resume to? If its some casual guy behind the bar he may just take the resume and have no reason to give it to the manager as he doesnt want to lose shifts.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've nearly exhausted the places I want to visit close enough to Hobart to do as day-trips, and it's time I started camping. I didn't bring any of my gear with me, so I'm hoping to buy some cheap / second hand stuff. I'm not going to be doing any serious backpacking ("bushwalking"), but driving to a site and setting up a tent. My girlfriend will be visiting in February, and we'll be going camping then, too.

I'm having a hard time figuring out gear and shop brands. I've seen sleeping bags, for example, for $20 new in stores like K&D Mitre 10, or $100 second-hand ("used once!!1!!!") on Gumtree. Obviously there are differences in quality, and I'm not looking for anything too heavy-duty as I'm only here for the summer, but is there a brand or shop someone could recommend for basic stuff like a tent, sleeping bag, lightweight inflatable mattress, and portable stove?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Its summer. You can probably get away with Kmarts camping stuff. For the price and you're going to lose/sell/throw them away anyway.

Better Camping and Fishing (BCF) might be having a sale as well.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
I thought it was Boating Camping and Fishing :psyduck: You are blowing my mind.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

No you're right its boating, camping and fishing. I'm being retarded.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

BCR posted:

No you're right its boating, camping and fishing. I'm being retarded.

Don't mind me, I'm a (central)Queenslander.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, looks like Kmart or a hardware store is my best bet - cheap and essentially disposable is exactly what I'm looking for.

BCF isn't in Tasmania. :(

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
BCF is super expensive. You want a kmart, big w or even check out a sam's warehouse or go-lo (discount variety stores) if they have them in tassie.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I bought a sleeping bag, basic foam pad, and some other minor things at Kmart today. If my coworker's offer to loan me a tent for the summer falls apart, it looks like I can get something suitable for tossing in the back of the ute for less than $50, plus a single-burner butane stove (and fuel) for $20. Not too shabby - I can get myself camping for about the cost of a single night at a bed & breakfast.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I bought a sleeping bag, basic foam pad, and some other minor things at Kmart today. If my coworker's offer to loan me a tent for the summer falls apart, it looks like I can get something suitable for tossing in the back of the ute for less than $50, plus a single-burner butane stove (and fuel) for $20. Not too shabby - I can get myself camping for about the cost of a single night at a bed & breakfast.

There is always the local camping disposals places, every major city and or suburb will have one. I was in one the other day here in Brisbane, brand new sleeping bags for like $30 and all other kinds of crazy crap.

Coleridge49 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 15, 2012

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

teacup posted:

My girlfriend who has lived in Australia literally her entire life but is Asian has had the same experiences as detailed above

I have at least 5 different stories from people who are African, Indian, Asian, Islander saying the same from when I worked in fast food.

I now work as a travel agent and people come back to me with these stories. I've actually deterred people from travelling to queensland because of it if they have any ethnic background other than pale white

I'm a white male, and was standing at the counter of a Japanese takeaway in the heart of the Brisbane CBD waiting to be served. I was the only one standing there, and the three Asian women behind the counter were busying themselves with making sushi and stocking the fridge.
I was ignored for some small time, and an Asian couple came up behind me and stood at the counter. The three staff turned and asked them what they would like, ignoring me completely. At this point I walked away and have never shopped their since.

I'm not suggesting this is common, or that I feel hard done by as a middle-aged white male in modern society, but it didn't impress me.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
During this episode did you think to perhaps say "Hello" or "Hi there"

Also gently caress you if you think that was racist.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Gromit posted:

I'm a white male, and was standing at the counter of a Japanese takeaway in the heart of the Brisbane CBD waiting to be served. I was the only one standing there, and the three Asian women behind the counter were busying themselves with making sushi and stocking the fridge.
I was ignored for some small time, and an Asian couple came up behind me and stood at the counter. The three staff turned and asked them what they would like, ignoring me completely. At this point I walked away and have never shopped their since.

I'm not suggesting this is common, or that I feel hard done by as a middle-aged white male in modern society, but it didn't impress me.

The state of Queensland, under asian dictatorial rule. Have fun in your concentration camp known as Brisbane, RIP white rule of this fine nation, etc

btw thanks for backing up my point

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Gromit posted:

Yeah seriously, did you have to? This is exactly the dumb poo poo I'm trying to convince people isn't as common as rumoured :(

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

teacup posted:

The state of Queensland, under asian dictatorial rule. Have fun in your concentration camp known as Brisbane, RIP white rule of this fine nation, etc

btw thanks for backing up my point

I heard they have their government headquarters, far away in Castle Hill. Plotting for the eventual downfall of the Australian white male.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
SH/SC Job Fair crosspost.

I work for a small web dev in West Melbourne* and we've got implementaion (HTML/CSS) and platform development (Java) positions open.

Some details in the SH/SC spreadsheet. PM or email me (username at gmail) if you're interested.

*As in the suburb next to the CBD

Cirofren fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 17, 2012

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I watched Australian Red Dawn ("Tomorrow When the War Began") on Netflix. A group of Aussie teenagers return from the bush to find their town overrun and their families enslaved in concentration camps. And their dogs were all killed and cooked in a stir fry. Representative of Multicultural Australia, included in the group are a wild and swarthy Greek peasant and a True Blue Asian with a thick Ocker accent whose parents run a Chinky takeaway.

No surprise, the invaders were Asian nations looking to force Australia to share her vast land and resources with the teeming masses of the East. I was expecting the group to turn on the Chinese guy and question his allegiance, but they avoided the obvious.

Yellow peril, indeed.

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
When I was younger I read those books (which are great) and I always had an image of the invaders in my head as more of an Eastern European appearance but ymmv also the author fairly carefully avoids describing them physically in the book.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It was always a cop out anyway as it plays on the fear that some people have (ridiculously so) that Indonesia will invade.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gromit posted:

Thanks for not reading this part, nutjobs. It was just an anecdote I posted, that's all.
I was pointing out that you can see racism anywhere, directed at anybody, if you look hard enough. For all you know, that "racist" person you spoke with was having a lovely day or something.

\/ That's not the definition of racism but I'll agree with you to let this drop.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 17, 2012

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3
Umm in order for racism to be levelled against you it has to come from a place of privilege, hope this helps. Please can we stop this derail it's depressing as gently caress.

It was 40 loving degrees C (that's, what, 105F or some poo poo) in my town today. :australia:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Gromit posted:

Thanks for not reading this part, nutjobs. It was just an anecdote I posted, that's all.
I was pointing out that you can see racism anywhere, directed at anybody, if you look hard enough. For all you know, that "racist" person you spoke with was having a lovely day or something.

\/ That's not the definition of racism but I'll agree with you to let this drop.

I love this, "let's drop the discussion, btw the thing you guys all criticised me for is totes not true, parting shot on poster below me edited in, I'LL BE THE BIGGER MAN AND NOT CONTINUE THIS DERAIL"

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hey, he asked for the derail to end and my comment was not exactly a parting shot. Still, nice that I pissed someone off enough to blow ten bucks!

Sharks Below
May 23, 2011

ty hc <3

Gromit posted:

Hey, he asked for the derail to end and my comment was not exactly a parting shot. Still, nice that I pissed someone off enough to blow ten bucks!

She, you sexist bastard. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Oof, okay, fair cop. I apologise all around for an awful post that would have been better off not made at all. I'll wear that avatar as a mark of my shame and try not to be such a douche in future.