Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Oh poo poo, I just realized what you guys had talked about earlier with the whole encryption issues when submitting your app.

All we do is make requests to our website at a https address. We only pass back json from our platform and it really doesn't contain any sensative data. Does this mean I need to get permission? I'm reading through all of these pages/google searches and it's just confusing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Oh poo poo, I just realized what you guys had talked about earlier with the whole encryption issues when submitting your app.

All we do is make requests to our website at a https address. We only pass back json from our platform and it really doesn't contain any sensative data. Does this mean I need to get permission? I'm reading through all of these pages/google searches and it's just confusing me.

Eh... I just wing it when it comes to HTTPS and say "No". I've never been rejected for it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

duck monster posted:

Eh... I just wing it when it comes to HTTPS and say "No". I've never been rejected for it.

But do your apps make requests to https URL's?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doh004 posted:

But do your apps make requests to https URL's?

yep. Its a little white lie, and I'm sure their tools could tell them the term "https" appears in your code , but hey they probably would rather not know. Between you and apple, the only one who wants the hassle is some grey haired old oval office in congress who wrote some dumb bill to prevent american companies having an advantage over chinese companies who suffer no such restrictions.

And as an australian who writes apps for australian companies to use in australia, I *really* couldn't give a gently caress about US export laws.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 12, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

duck monster posted:

yep. Its a little white lie, and I'm sure their tools could tell them the term "https" appears in your code , but hey they probably would rather not know. Between you and apple, the only one who wants the hassle is some grey haired old oval office in congress who wrote some dumb bill to prevent american companies having an advantage over chinese companies who suffer no such restrictions.

And as an australian who writes apps for australian companies to use in australia, I *really* couldn't give a gently caress about US export laws.

I don't happen to be in that situation: American working for an American company selling to mostly Americans but not limited to just them.

:ohdear:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Doh004 posted:

I don't happen to be in that situation: American working for an American company selling to mostly Americans but not limited to just them.

:ohdear:

I'm an American working for American companies and have developed several apps making https requests and I've never worried about it either. I guess I just uh, assumed it was okay.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I'd say this is something you should email Apple about, but you might shoot yourself in the foot if they decide you're not in compliance and pull your app.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yeah, I would love to just go ahead and submit it but I can't.

We're having our lawyer dude read over it and hopefully he'll get back soon. He's technically on vacation this week but he answered my email.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Architectural question, wanted to run this by you guys, see if you can perhaps stimulate a better solution.

My language learning app consists of two parts: one for the app logic/controllers/models and an interchangeable one for different languages that the app supports: words, sounds, pictures, settings etc. The idea is that the core of the app stays the same and is developed separately from the content.

As far as App Store is concerned, there's a separate app for each language (with IAPs to buy more content for that specific app), but the core is exactly the same for all of them, with only the content portion changing in the project itself. The best solution would be to have 1 app only to download all types of content from the cloud, but as a company we need at least half a dozen apps out there on the store to look "reputable" to partners/investors/et al., and so we need to do this the hard way.

I'm thinking of organizing the modules like this:
  • One repository for the core. It would be an XCode library project.
  • One repository for each app, containing mostly the content and no logic. Import the core library as a git submodule and wire it up from the app delegate.

Right now we're doing it pretty ghetto: there's one repository and we overwrite its "content" folder from a separate location before each app's submission. I feel like the above would be at the very least a step up. Any suggestions?

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

fankey posted:

Is there any documentation on exactly how UIImage frees up memory in low memory situations? I have a case where I'd really like it to discard the internal image data ( as per the docs ) but as far as I can tell it never frees any memory and my app crashes when run on an iPad 1.

My app dynamically loads pages of content off a server on the network. The set of pages is user defined and contains controls like faders, knobs and meters as well as graphic elements like text and images. In the case of images the app downloads the images via HTTP to a local /tmp directory and then creates UIImages using imageWithContentsOfFile:. The resultant UIImage is set as the .image of a UIImageView and that set as a subView of a UIView used for the page. Each of the page UIViews are loaded into a UIScrollView. The UIScrollView is 'virtualizing' - it dynamically adds and remove content based on what page is currently visible. Right now it's configured to load 3 pages on each side of the current page.

In the particular case I'm trying to debug the user has created a set of 52 pages, each one with a 1024x768 png image on them. I download all of the images and create my pages without an issue. As I scroll through the pages, at some point ( around page 43 or so ) I get an out of memory warning and then it crashes. I know that it wouldn't be possible to load 52 pngs of that size on an iPad 1 so that's why I was hoping that the UIImages would discard their data when not visible as I scrolled through - as far as I can tell that's not happening.

I thought maybe the fact I am removing pages from the view tree was somehow screwing up the UIImage memory management stuff but if I disable my virtualization of the UIScrollView and just load all the images at once it immediately runs out of memory. Of course that doesn't mean what I'm doing isn't causing a problem but it does show that I'll need to do something to make this work.

Any idea why my approach isn't working?

If a UIImage is inside a UIImageView it might not discard its image data as it's effectively "visible". It could even be a case where the UIImageView is holding onto the data, even though the UIImage isn't. Also, removing the UIView hierarchy that represents a page from the root view hierarchy of a currently visible UIViewController doesn't do anything if something else is holding onto it. For any pages that are outside of your 3-page buffer I would completely dump their view hierarchy. I'm guessing the reason you aren't already doing this is because you're downloading the images from the network.

To fix this I would just create a mapping from an image URL to an on-disk filename, and check that before I request the image from the network when I create the view hierarchy for a page that's coming on-screen. Another solution is to use the image caching mechanism of a networking library like AFNetworking.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

Architectural question, wanted to run this by you guys, see if you can perhaps stimulate a better solution.

My language learning app consists of two parts: one for the app logic/controllers/models and an interchangeable one for different languages that the app supports: words, sounds, pictures, settings etc. The idea is that the core of the app stays the same and is developed separately from the content.

As far as App Store is concerned, there's a separate app for each language (with IAPs to buy more content for that specific app), but the core is exactly the same for all of them, with only the content portion changing in the project itself. The best solution would be to have 1 app only to download all types of content from the cloud, but as a company we need at least half a dozen apps out there on the store to look "reputable" to partners/investors/et al., and so we need to do this the hard way.

I'm thinking of organizing the modules like this:
  • One repository for the core. It would be an XCode library project.
  • One repository for each app, containing mostly the content and no logic. Import the core library as a git submodule and wire it up from the app delegate.

Right now we're doing it pretty ghetto: there's one repository and we overwrite its "content" folder from a separate location before each app's submission. I feel like the above would be at the very least a step up. Any suggestions?

It sounds like the content folder for each language isn't in the repository? Is there a reason for that?

I'd probably go with one Xcode project with separate targets, one for each app in the App Store. Include the core source code in each target, then add only the relevant content as resources etc. for each target.

The benefit to splitting out separate projects for each app is if someone wants to work on just one of the apps. They can open just the one project and ignore the other languages, while you can open them all in a workspace and see everything.

Having multiple git repositories doesn't sound that valuable to me to be honest.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

pokeyman posted:

It sounds like the content folder for each language isn't in the repository? Is there a reason for that?

I'd probably go with one Xcode project with separate targets, one for each app in the App Store. Include the core source code in each target, then add only the relevant content as resources etc. for each target.

The benefit to splitting out separate projects for each app is if someone wants to work on just one of the apps. They can open just the one project and ignore the other languages, while you can open them all in a workspace and see everything.

Having multiple git repositories doesn't sound that valuable to me to be honest.

Oh yeah, I guess different targets make sense, totally forgot about their existence. Thanks, that's very neat, and does sound significantly simpler. That'd allow me to configure which folder to include in the bundle and all sorts of app-specific settings, which was what I was trying to achieve with multiple repositories.

I've only ever used one target per project so far, so I'm completely oblivious to the majority of the uses. I've used schemes though for Dev/AdHoc/Prod configuration. Is there an in-depth guide anywhere on how to use them properly and what the common use cases are? I explicitly remember not having a good time trying to define different preprocessor macros in Build Settings and there being a rather humble amount of documentation out there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Each target has its own build settings, so that part should be easy enough. I know almost nothing about schemes.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yay! Our lawyers ended up saying that we were okay. Probably had to do with IP or copyrighted content or something or another hell if I know I'm not a lawyer. :iiam:

Awaiting review :ohdear:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

When you crash, the console gets a message with the exception and that includes "first throw call stack: <bunch of hex addresses>". Are those usable for anything? I tried to use atos, grabbing the .app and .dsym from Xcode's Organizer window, and it symbolicated nearly nothing. What little it did symbolicate was clearly a coincidence, as it had nothing to do with anything.

It would be very handy to symbolicate this instead of having to get crash reports.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So speaking of crashes and dSYMs, we have some crash reporting now that I'm getting crash logs from every type of iOS our app supports. But I can only symbolicate them fully (System libraries / Frameworks I mean.) if I have the same version of the OS that generated the crash on my local machine. Only, while I have access to an iPod with 4.3.3 on it, i got crashes from 4.3.1 and 4.3.0 that I don't have.

Is there some place where I can just get all of the symbols for all the framework/libraries for every version ever and stop asking QA to hunt down devices?

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
If you hang onto the Xcarchives, you can symbolicate them with the contained dSym file. There's a script called symbolicatecrash hiding somewhere in the Xcode bundle (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DTDeviceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/symbolicatecrash at some point.. not sure if it's moved again) that will find the dSyms anywhere that's indexed in Finder (your Desktop/Documents folders).

It's very touchy about the Xcarchive being from the exact same machine that did the build, and I believe the UID it checks may even include a compile timestamp. Depending on how important the log is, you can mess around with atos and a dSym and .app pair that should be the same build. The easiest sanity test I've found to see if your symbolication is gibberish or meaningful is check for main at the bottom of one of the threads, usually the second-to-last or last entry in thread 0.

Selfish brag that offers no help to you guys: My company's proprietary deployment server keeps the Xcarchive for each of our builds, including QA builds, indexed by Git commit hash and app ID. We had some other in house logging tools that use Bonjour. I extended both so now any time a developer or tester in house gets a crash, all iOS guys in the shop get a Growl notification containing the fully symbolicated log when the app is relaunched. :toot:

The main lesson I learned is to hang onto your Xcarchives for as long as you could possibly care about logs from said builds.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Yay! Our lawyers ended up saying that we were okay. Probably had to do with IP or copyrighted content or something or another hell if I know I'm not a lawyer. :iiam:

Awaiting review :ohdear:

US Export laws.

Whats likely is that your app isn't actualy providing any encryption. Its just using the encryption built into the phone. Thats already covered by Apples export permissions. Ie when you use a UIWebView or whatever to access a https address, YOUR APP isn't doing the encryption, THEIR OS is however.

If however, you compiled in a PGP module or whatever ,that would be different and need aproval from the spooks.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 14, 2012

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ManicJason posted:

If you hang onto the Xcarchives, you can symbolicate them with the contained dSym file. There's a script called symbolicatecrash hiding somewhere in the Xcode bundle (/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DTDeviceKit.framework/Versions/A/Resources/symbolicatecrash at some point.. not sure if it's moved again) that will find the dSyms anywhere that's indexed in Finder (your Desktop/Documents folders).

We have all the dSYMs of our executables. The question was about system libraries There's a huge difference between a stack trace that has our exec as the last frame and the rest just saying libc++ and Foundation and the one that shows it was an abort from an unhandled exception. But in order to symbolicate the libc++ / Foundation logs you need to have had connected a device to the machine with XCode and have that device in developer mode. Then you'll copy over the actual copies of libc++ that's on that device.

I'd thought that someone would have just done that for all possible versions by now.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

duck monster posted:

US Export laws.

Whats likely is that your app isn't actualy providing any encryption. Its just using the encryption built into the phone. Thats already covered by Apples export permissions. Ie when you use a UIWebView or whatever to access a https address, YOUR APP isn't doing the encryption, THEIR OS is however.

If however, you compiled in a PGP module or whatever ,that would be different and need aproval from the spooks.

That is correct. What confused me was a bunch of conflicting sources online saying one thing and another saying the complete opposite.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Ugh. This is kind of vague, but I got a crash report saying that there was a call made to [UIButton parent:], which, of course, doesn't exist.

I've searched my code and can't find a single call to -parent: on anything.

The crash report itself is basically useless, as it's coming from Flurry and is literally just the line "NSInvalidArgumentException: -[UIButton parent]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1d5288a0".

Could this be an iOS bug?

Also, can anyone give recommendations for a decent crash reporting service?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Does anyone have experience writing apps that use or rely on external hardware? One of my friends wants me to write a simple POS-type app customized for his shop (and, yes, he will be paying me, and he knows this), and one thing it will need to do is print receipts. I've checked and it looks like the best thing to do is use a Wi-Fi enabled thermal printer from Epson which is supported by their iOS SDK. If I don't want to go the Enterprise Developer Account route and/or sell it on the App Store, am I going to have to send a printer off to Apple for the review process, even though the SDK is already created? That's obviously going to be a deal-breaker, in which case I'll just do the whole thing for Android instead, but both I and my friend would prefer to use an iPad.

I've sent an email to the App Review team asking them about it, but I was just curious if anyone here had first-hand experience with such a situation.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

PT6A posted:

Does anyone have experience writing apps that use or rely on external hardware? One of my friends wants me to write a simple POS-type app customized for his shop (and, yes, he will be paying me, and he knows this), and one thing it will need to do is print receipts. I've checked and it looks like the best thing to do is use a Wi-Fi enabled thermal printer from Epson which is supported by their iOS SDK. If I don't want to go the Enterprise Developer Account route and/or sell it on the App Store, am I going to have to send a printer off to Apple for the review process, even though the SDK is already created? That's obviously going to be a deal-breaker, in which case I'll just do the whole thing for Android instead, but both I and my friend would prefer to use an iPad.

I've sent an email to the App Review team asking them about it, but I was just curious if anyone here had first-hand experience with such a situation.

What? No, you just jailbreak the iPad and install the app that way.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

If you're concerned that they won't accept your app because they can't actually test printing, don't worry. You can just shoot a video of your app printing to your server and attach that to the app submission.

I had to do this for an app that just wireless transmits device motion data. It was rejected the first time because the reviewers went 'huh?' and sent me a note. I resubmitted with the demo video and it went through without any problems.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

If memory serves, Apple wanted someone developing an app for a specific piece of hardware to send them a link to a video of the app working with the hardware.

edit: beaten

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Surely the review process is only required if he wants to submit it to Apple? And likewise with the hardware SDK approval?

PT6A posted:

If I don't want to go the Enterprise Developer Account route and/or sell it on the App Store...

With a regular developer account you can build and deploy to 100 devices without Apple ever seeing your code. You would need to renew the account and re-deploy the app to all devices once a year, but the same caveat applies with the Enterprise account too. The Enterprise account allows you to sign your own apps that will (at a technical level) run on any iOS device in the world, but there are legal terms involved to limit your distribution within the company - this is to stop people bypassing the App Store and selling applications in a separate ecosystem.

I don't know any of the details of the Epson SDK, but I would suspect it will work with a regular developer account and private deployment (limited by the number of devices). I always thought the hardware approval process was to allow hardware manufacturers to put the "Works with iPhone" logo on the box. And, as above, if you're attempting to submit an app to the public App Store that depends on other hardware Apple would need to see it working before approving it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I thought using the regular account to basically deploy a production app as a "debugging" copy was verboten. Yeah, I know it's basically a victimless crime and no one will get caught, but as it is technically my business and I am still selling other apps on the App Store already, I'd like to keep things above board. Same reason I wouldn't jailbreak.

I'm more than willing to send a video of the printing working, when the time is right, so it's good to know that's an option.

I'm still considering Android just because the cost of the hardware is lower, but it's good to know there's options for iOS too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Anybody have experience with Airplay?

I'm curious how to output different content to the second display than you display on the iOS device itself.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Small White Dragon posted:

Anybody have experience with Airplay?
I'm curious how to output different content to the second display than you display on the iOS device itself.

In AirPlay mirroring mode, the AirPlay device just shows up as another UIScreen with it's own window. You create a separate view for it just like you do for the VGA/HDMI physical adapters. In fact it's impossible to tell the difference between a physically-connected secondary screen and AirPlay.

Here is a blog about it, or the Apple External Display test project

PT6A posted:

I thought using the regular account to basically deploy a production app as a "debugging" copy was verboten. Yeah, I know it's basically a victimless crime and no one will get caught, but as it is technically my business and I am still selling other apps on the App Store already, I'd like to keep things above board. Same reason I wouldn't jailbreak.

I'm more than willing to send a video of the printing working, when the time is right, so it's good to know that's an option.

I'm still considering Android just because the cost of the hardware is lower, but it's good to know there's options for iOS too.

Nope, you are perfectly fine doing this. It's basically how people prototype / beta apps for other people anyway, then either transferring the app or the dev account to another entity. You can even create a dev account just to mess around without jailbreaking. You just can't sell or give away your dev slots for not-legit development activity and you can't sell the app as a packaged app outside the app store process.

Slightly related - for apps that require logins to a local server (basically a companion app to an on-site system), how have you dealt with approval? Will the app store review team use a VPN login to test it? Will they accept a VM image? or do I have to build-in a demo mode? I can do whatever is required but obviously it will be way easier if they are willing to just login to my VPN.

On a separate note, I've started looking into NSIncrementalStore and holy poo poo... this looks like what I've been waiting for. I was starting to think that it gives a clean way to hook into CoreData such that it is easy to cache data locally, but transparently fault in data from whatever random (often crappy) API you need to pull from. It turns out the NSHipster dude already wrote a library that does just that. Also this dude at sealed abstract described my problems with RestKit, et al and why every project seems to be a bunch of slightly custom crap to adapt the remote API to the local store, deal with caching, demand-loading, etc; and how every minor API change ends up being a huge PITA.

Anyway I plan on doing some test projects with AFIncrementalStore to see if it pans out. I'll report back later.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 17, 2012

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

PT6A posted:

You can create a release build rather than debug with the regular account, but if the morality/legality of this is your sticking point rather than the technical issues then I think the only option is the Enterprise account. If you're sending a build to Apple then all they'll do is verify it, sign it and put it on the App Store (where I guess you don't want this publicly available).

We often buy an Enterprise account on behalf of our customers (or get them to do it) to then create the app and deploy it within their company, but this is because we deal with clients wanting a wider distribution than the 100 device limit allows. As I mentioned above, these apps still need a new distribution profile creating each year and redeploying to all devices.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Has anybody found an effective way of displaying text and pictures in a popup? We have a homebrew solution in place, but it's a bit hacky. I'm wondering if there's an already existing solution out there. The idea is that I might want to display any kind of content in it, anywhere from a coupon to a company's logo with a link to their site with a sales pitch in there.
It should ideally be able to resize itself to the content, but worst case scenario I can do it by hand.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hey pokey - some of these links are dead now. Revised:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

DreadCthulhu posted:

Has anybody found an effective way of displaying text and pictures in a popup? We have a homebrew solution in place, but it's a bit hacky. I'm wondering if there's an already existing solution out there. The idea is that I might want to display any kind of content in it, anywhere from a coupon to a company's logo with a link to their site with a sales pitch in there.
It should ideally be able to resize itself to the content, but worst case scenario I can do it by hand.

Use a UIPopoverController? Resizable, fillable with any type of view content, and I believe has some options for border styles and colors as of iOS 6.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
So, I have a project that, while running, slowly eats up more and more memory. I've run alloc and leaks on it, and the living memory allocations it shows aren't anywhere near what my program is using in the activity monitor. Is there some other place I should be checking?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

lord funk posted:

Use a UIPopoverController? Resizable, fillable with any type of view content, and I believe has some options for border styles and colors as of iOS 6.

That's awesome, I really need to master that controller, it seems ridiculously useful, especially when trying to cluster multiple functions into one button. Right now for example we have 3 separate buttons for "sharing app with friends" when in reality we only need 1 and have the popover let you choose if you want email, facebook, sms or contact book etc.

Regarding UIPopoverController, do you think I should be able to achieve a semi-transparent black glass-like "modal" effect with it, somewhat along the lines of:

http://www.cocoacontrols.com/platforms/ios/controls/svprogresshud
http://www.cocoacontrols.com/platforms/ios/controls/tapku-alerts-with-images

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fixed, thanks!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

:hf::)

DreadCthulhu posted:

Regarding UIPopoverController, do you think I should be able to achieve a semi-transparent black glass-like "modal" effect with it, somewhat along the lines of:

Might want to look into making a subclass of the UIPopoverBackgroundView abstract class and setting your UIPopoverController's popoverBackgroundViewClass property to that class.

See: http://developer.apple.com/library/...rBackgroundView

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

lord funk posted:

Might want to look into making a subclass of the UIPopoverBackgroundView abstract class and setting your UIPopoverController's popoverBackgroundViewClass property to that class.

See: http://developer.apple.com/library/...rBackgroundView

Will do, thanks for the lead!

Unit-testing question: any way of running unit tests from Cmd+U shortcut when I'm on the final product target and not the Unit Tests target? It's a pain in the rear end to have to switch targets just so I can run unit tests for it (the UTs are under a different target, which I think is the Apple-sanctioned way. I could be wrong).

Also, has anybody out there created something along the lines of Ruby's Guard to monitor the build for changes and run UTs automatically only on the files that were modified? I'm really spoiled by Rails' BDD cycle.

Edit: just ran into this cornucopia of testing tools..

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 18, 2012

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Doc Block posted:

Ugh. This is kind of vague, but I got a crash report saying that there was a call made to [UIButton parent:], which, of course, doesn't exist.

I've searched my code and can't find a single call to -parent: on anything.

The crash report itself is basically useless, as it's coming from Flurry and is literally just the line "NSInvalidArgumentException: -[UIButton parent]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x1d5288a0".

Could this be an iOS bug?

Also, can anyone give recommendations for a decent crash reporting service?

This happens when -parent: or .parent was called on some other class, perhaps in code you didn't write, but the receiver has been dealloc'd. The address of the receiver now contains a UIButton. Try running with NSZombiesEnabled and it might be able to tell you what deallocated instance should be receiving the message.

For crash reporting look into PLCrashReporter and/or HockeyApp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
A grep search shows that the word "parent" isn't in my code or any of the libraries I'm using. Also, I am completely unable to reproduce this bug, I just saw it in the Flurry crash logs (which are terrible and nearly useless).