Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Writh posted:

I got all misty earlier in this issue when Superman went back for him. *huggin my dog*

Sorry to derail the thread minorly, but I've got to ask, just to make sure I get the right comic ( My folks would LOVE the imagery in that story, comic book or not. ) it's this issue here right?

My experience of buying comics is mostly ducking into Waterstones and seeing what collected trades they've got on their shelves so I turned that link up with a bit of googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

limited posted:

Sorry to derail the thread minorly, but I've got to ask, just to make sure I get the right comic ( My folks would LOVE the imagery in that story, comic book or not. ) it's this issue here right?

My experience of buying comics is mostly ducking into Waterstones and seeing what collected trades they've got on their shelves so I turned that link up with a bit of googling.
That's the one, yes. And here's the scene in question:

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Might as well get it in here:

v drat :smith:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 7, 2012

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Nintendo Power volume 285. At the very end of the issue.

:smith:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Bravo, Nintendo Power. A long, long time ago I had two of those same posters up on my wall :unsmith:

I remember being so pissed when I learned that Howard was leaving the Big N to work at THQ or some lovely company like that. How...how could he... :emo:

edit: just noticed the plaqued bowtie

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 7, 2012

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Ohh, right in the nostalgia.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Gavok posted:

drat, if that ain't the best way to end a magazine. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

Bravo, Nintendo Power. A long, long time ago I had two of those same posters up on my wall :unsmith:

I remember being so pissed when I learned that Howard had quit the Big N to work at THQ or some lovely company like that. How...how could he... :emo:

edit: just noticed the plaqued bowtie

Howard recently had a failed kickstarter for a cell phone trivia game that included comics that nicely parallel these and explain his reasoning for leaving: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1358562997/gamemaster-howards-know-it-all/posts/317527

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gavok posted:

What game is the poster for at the top of page two. It's tickling a memory.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I don't think there aren't any posters on the top of page two. It looks like they're standing in front of a window on in the first panel, at sundown.

I imagine the sun might be familiar. :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why the hell am I sad about that?! I haven't read Nintendo Power in like 15 years.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's like that one good friend you had in high school, but you guys parted ways after graduating. Every now and again, you'd hear about him, but now you just heard he died :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Why the hell are my eyes misty? I don't even own a Nintendo anything?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ImpAtom posted:

Why the hell am I sad about that?! I haven't read Nintendo Power in like 15 years.

Because those other 10 years meant a ton to your childhood.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cabbit posted:

I don't think there aren't any posters on the top of page two. It looks like they're standing in front of a window on in the first panel, at sundown.

I imagine the sun might be familiar. :v:

The sun? Familiar to comic book nerds?

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

limited posted:

Yes sir, your dog will love the attention after you get it.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Nahxela posted:

It's like that one good friend you had in high school, but you guys parted ways after graduating. Every now and again, you'd hear about him, but now you just heard he died :smith:

Holy poo poo... :(

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This was touching but also a bit weird. Typically, villains are arrogant jerks who don't believe that there is anything fundamentally wrong with them, and that they represent some sort of ideal while the world is flawed and fails to accommodate them properly. The last time I saw the Joker talk like this was when he fell into a Lazarus Pit, which briefly restored his sanity.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

This was touching but also a bit weird. Typically, villains are arrogant jerks who don't believe that there is anything fundamentally wrong with them, and that they represent some sort of ideal while the world is flawed and fails to accommodate them properly. The last time I saw the Joker talk like this was when he fell into a Lazarus Pit, which briefly restored his sanity.

Emperor Joker was probably one of my favorite usages of the Joker as a character in all of comics.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I wonder how Emperor Joker would have played out had they used the Heath Ledger Joker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder how Emperor Joker would have played out had they used the Heath Ledger Joker.

Poorly, his joker was more focused on the raw chaos and anarchy of the world, I really think that arc relies on the Joker seeing everything as one big joke that's gone over its time. Chaos would want to reform the world and all, but that Joker just wants the punchline to come for everyone.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Baron Bifford posted:

His speech here hits me as being the same mindset of the "Why aren't you laughing?" scene from Killing Joke. Batman is about realizing that the world is broken and doing everything possible to fix it, even if it's a fool's errand. Joker's reaction to the world being broken is to revel in it and break it even more. Given omnipotence, he can't even agree to creating a utopia. He doesn't believe it's possible, powerful as he may be. He'd go the extreme opposite direction as Batman and wipe the slate clean.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The entirety of Daredevil #52-#54 should belong here, but it also happens to have one of the best depictions of Wolverine ever, out of nowhere. David Mack should write/draw more stuff.

(Daredevil #54)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 11, 2012

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Sandman had some touching and :smith: moments, but my absolute favorite has got to be the end to "Three Septembers and a January"

that last panel makes :unsmith: every time.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 12, 2012

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Stormwatch, issue #7 (New 52 run).

Here's the situation. Jack Hawksmoor is basically the God of Cities. In this issue, he needs to get information about something that happened in the city of Pripyat. Normally, he can just telepathically communicate with the 'mind' of a city, but Pripyat is different.

Pripyat is the city that was built to house the workers at Chernobyl... and that was totally evacuated and abandoned after the meltdown. And a city's health depends on its population.

So instead of just 'talking' to Pripyat, Jack travels to this alternate plane (or maybe it's just in his mind) where he's able to communicate with the cities as if they're people.

Pripyat is personified as a cancer-ridden man on life support, confined to his hospital bed. His attendants are two Japanese women with horribly burned faces (Hiroshima and Nagasaki).

Jack asks Pripyat some questions that advance the plot, and then turns to go. But Pripyat has a question for him, too...

(dammit, if I can't make the upload work I will be annoyed)

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

(dammit, if I can't make the upload work I will be annoyed)

Use the BBcode links that imgur gives you. Here, I fixed it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

achillesforever6 posted:

Sandman had some touching and :smith: moments, but my absolute favorite has got to be the end to "Three Septembers and a January"

Too small, man, can you do a bigger one?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Too small, man, can you do a bigger one?
For some reason I can't :smith:
E: I think I found one.
E2: Yeah that looks better, I really like that issue just because of the story behind this actual man who was so eccentric, but beloved by his city. Oh if Death as a being does exist I hope that it turns out to be the Sandman's version because Death should be a mellow figure that eases your way into the afterlife and not scare you.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 12, 2012

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

achillesforever6 posted:

E2: Yeah that looks better, I really like that issue just because of the story behind this actual man who was so eccentric, but beloved by his city. Oh if Death as a being does exist I hope that it turns out to be the Sandman's version because Death should be a mellow figure that eases your way into the afterlife and not scare you.

Makes me think of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes Nothing in the Dark with Robert Redford as Death disguised as a wounded cop for the sake of gaining an old woman's trust.

"Am I really so bad, so frightening? You've talked to me, you confide in me. Have I tried to hurt you? I had to get you to understand. It isn't me you're afraid of. You understand me. What you're afraid of is the unknown. Don't be afraid."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Gavok posted:

Makes me think of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes Nothing in the Dark with Robert Redford as Death disguised as a wounded cop for the sake of gaining an old woman's trust.

"Am I really so bad, so frightening? You've talked to me, you confide in me. Have I tried to hurt you? I had to get you to understand. It isn't me you're afraid of. You understand me. What you're afraid of is the unknown. Don't be afraid."

They did the same thing in the show Supernatural. In fact there is a character that is based on death in it. You can also see a lot of influences from Hellblazer and Preacher in it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 12, 2012

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

DarkCrawler posted:

The entirety of Daredevil #52-#54 should belong here, but it also happens to have one of the best depictions of Wolverine ever, out of nowhere. David Mack should write/draw more stuff.

[

I love Mack. If you do too, you should read kabuki -particularly The Alchemy, which is loving gorgeous.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bobkatt013 posted:

They did the same thing in the show Supernatural. In fact there is a character that is based on death in it. You can also see a lot of infulenses from Hellblazer and Preacher in it.

Yea Supernatural's Death is one of my favorites, he does the whole 'yea I have the power to kill you, I can do that to anyone at any time, it's mundane to me, relax' thing really well. He gets a few really good speeches too where he basically tells people to shut their holes because death gives zero fucks about god and demons and the grand plan for things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea Supernatural's Death is one of my favorites, he does the whole 'yea I have the power to kill you, I can do that to anyone at any time, it's mundane to me, relax' thing really well. He gets a few really good speeches too where he basically tells people to shut their holes because death gives zero fucks about god and demons and the grand plan for things.

Do not forget the character Tessa who looks and acts like Sandman's death

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Glitterbomber posted:

I stopped watching Supernatural after the Four Horsemen/Lucifer season because, seriously, the show was NEVER going to get any better than that. The Death episode was absolutely spectacular, I love how completely out of everybody's league he is. When he mutters irritably about being constrained by Lucifer who he considers a prattling child, that was pretty chilling, but my favorite exchange is probably (paraphrased):

Death: God and I are so old, we forget which of us is older. Nevertheless, one day I shall kill him too.
Dean: ....you're... going to kill God?
Death: Of course. Why not?

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

DarkCrawler posted:

Is any of that Dave McKean? Serious shades of Arkham Asylum there. Absolutely gorgeous.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I stopped watching Supernatural after the Four Horsemen/Lucifer season because, seriously, the show was NEVER going to get any better than that. The Death episode was absolutely spectacular, I love how completely out of everybody's league he is. When he mutters irritably about being constrained by Lucifer who he considers a prattling child, that was pretty chilling, but my favorite exchange is probably (paraphrased):

Death: God and I are so old, we forget which of us is older. Nevertheless, one day I shall kill him too.
Speaking of another Sandman moment I love, the scenes where Lucifer is sitting on an Australian Beach watching the Sunset. Can anyone find those to put up?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jerusalem posted:

Yea I know it's not a comic but I'd totally post the scene where, after having to fight a bloody fight with all three other horsemen, the brothers are just given Death's ring because hey, gently caress you Satan for trying to boss Death around.

He also had a good bit in a later season when they summoned him and bound him, and were utterly terrified the whole time because they had no idea if he was going to just break out and reap them.

Death, in any media, is a character that either gets done really well or really poorly, it seems.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking of another Sandman moment I love, the scenes where Lucifer is sitting on an Australian Beach watching the Sunset. Can anyone find those to put up?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If you haven't been reading Uncanny X-Force (and my God, why not?), then here's some context: Evan here is a clone of Apocalypse. Up until recently, he didn't know that, having lived his life in a VR simulation (humorously, mimicking Superman's origin story). The entire last arc was about the new Brotherhood trying to get him to turn and become Apocalypse while all he had to talk him out of it was a beaten, healing-factor-less Deadpool. The day was saved, but Evan came out of it a little traumatized.

You know, Deadpool, for a character that sometimes seems to exist solely for wacky comedy hijinks, you're alright. :3:

Uncanny X-Force #35

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Glitterbomber posted:

Yea I know it's not a comic but I'd totally post the scene where, after having to fight a bloody fight with all three other horsemen, the brothers are just given Death's ring because hey, gently caress you Satan for trying to boss Death around.

He also had a good bit in a later season when they summoned him and bound him, and were utterly terrified the whole time because they had no idea if he was going to just break out and reap them.

Death, in any media, is a character that either gets done really well or really poorly, it seems.

The best bit was when Dean needed a favor from Death, and the price was Dean had to be Death for a day. Ultimately he couldn't do it and wasn't going to get the favor, but completing the favor wasn't the point, it was understanding that Death sees and deals with absolutely horrific stuff every day, and he wanted a few hours away from that to just not see how god awful people were to each other and eat some burgers.

It was like Pratchett said - you don't see the best of people in this line of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

You know Lucifer might be a gigantic prick, but I wouldn't mind hanging out with him/going to his piano bar. That and he looks like David Bowie.

"The Sound of Her Wings" Is another of my favorite Issues of The Sandman (#8 I think)

Happy Morpheus :unsmith: