Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Aha. There will be a Kessel Run event over here too. I intend to bring a X-wing list (I got a core set and 2 X-wing expansions).

However, from the lists I see floating about, almost no one seems to include Wedge in a 100-point list. Any reasons why? I have only played two or so games, and he seems like an excellent pilot to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TIE-Interceptors seem preeeeetty good: http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=498&start=10#p3422

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Wow, that thing is amazing. Focus, barrel roll, evade, and boost as base actions? Me likey.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

We use this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIP-Fabrics-Anything-Goes-Fabric-Cosmos-Black/17189991

Or this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Creative-Cuts-Cotton-44-wide-2-yard-cut-Disney-Buzz-Lightyear-Print-Navy/16422223

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tanon posted:

Wow, that thing is amazing. Focus, barrel roll, evade, and boost as base actions? Me likey.

Plus that ability that lets you make a second 90 degree turn is pretty awesome.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tanon posted:

Soontir Fel might be the named pilot I run now, his ability + elusiveness + all the green on the interceptor dial seems really good.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The A-wing makes me think I may start playing Rebel lists! Sooo, nice! Our Kessel Run event is going to have a dozen people, so my odds aren't too good but we'll see.

What do you guys think of the shield and stealth upgrades? I'm not sure if it's a trap to get me to spend 41 points for a tricked out Tycho Celchu or if it will be worth the points. I look forward to seeing if he can take out three academy pilots.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Acinonyx posted:

The A-wing makes me think I may start playing Rebel lists! Sooo, nice! Our Kessel Run event is going to have a dozen people, so my odds aren't too good but we'll see.

What do you guys think of the shield and stealth upgrades? I'm not sure if it's a trap to get me to spend 41 points for a tricked out Tycho Celchu or if it will be worth the points. I look forward to seeing if he can take out three academy pilots.

I don't think I could sink half of a 100 point list into one ship, especially if my opponent is bringing 5+. In a really big point game, maybe?

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Tycho with Push the Limit is godly. He can perform two actions a turn, even with stress tokens, and the A-wing has half of its movements (including a straight 5!) as green. I think I'm in love.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Weissritter posted:

Aha. There will be a Kessel Run event over here too. I intend to bring a X-wing list (I got a core set and 2 X-wing expansions).

However, from the lists I see floating about, almost no one seems to include Wedge in a 100-point list. Any reasons why? I have only played two or so games, and he seems like an excellent pilot to use.

Nonsense! The best defense against an Imp swarm is Wedge.

See,my roomie plays:

Vader w/ swarm tactics
Howlrunner with swarm tactics
4x Academy Pilots

He flies in a big ol' brick letting everyone take advantage of Howlrunner, and half the drat army goes on 8 or 9.

I use:
Wedge w/ swarm tactics
Biggs
Rookie
Red Squad

Upgrade light? You bet. Bringing a boatload of attack dice? YES.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Does Howlrunner's ability work for multiple friendly ships per turn? I've run into people playing it both ways. The wording seems ambiguous, but it seems like it would work for each friendly ship?

Another rules question: With 'push the limit' could Tycho use the boost action, then 'push the limit' and do another boost? I know you can't do two of the same action at the same time (Vader can't barrel roll 2x as his two actions), but can you do them consecutively?

Acinonyx fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 11, 2012

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Feeple posted:

I use:
Wedge w/ swarm tactics
Biggs
Rookie
Red Squad

Upgrade light? You bet. Bringing a boatload of attack dice? YES.

So you find bringing a 4th X-wing worth the loss of upgrades?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Weissritter posted:

So you find bringing a 4th X-wing worth the loss of upgrades?

An extra set of guns is almost always worth the points, just due to things like action economy.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The Slave I is really a lot bigger than I thought it would be. I mean, the Falcon is the size of my hand, which is already huge. They really dwarf the little A-wings.

The current registration number at my KR is 5 (including me and the organizer.)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

A balanced game is secondary to an accurate representation of how awesome TIE Interceptors are.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Looks like I should get a 3rd X-wing expansion to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Acinonyx posted:

Does Howlrunner's ability work for multiple friendly ships per turn? I've run into people playing it both ways. The wording seems ambiguous, but it seems like it would work for each friendly ship?

The card specifically says choose 1 ship at Range 1, so I believe it's only 1 ship that gets the benefits.

Swarm Tactics is still very good, but I have a feeling a lot of people misinterpreted it to where ALL ships at range 1 get the benefits.

EDIT: I read bad. See a couple posts below for the real answer.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 12, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Those new cards looks really awesome. I'm particularly excited for the YT-1300. Turrets for everyone!

Here's a question about Han Solo's ability combined with either Luke Skywalker or the Gunner. At what point is an attack "performed" with regards to gunner abilities and rerolls? Is it possible to have Han Solo fire, miss all of his shots (and thus cause Luke or the gunner to immediately fire), and then have Han Solo reroll his shot? It seems incredibly cheap but I figured it was worth investigating.

Also I think the YT-1300 combined with expose could be pretty deadly. For example something like this:

pre:
Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: "Dutch" Vander
Y-Wing (23)
Upgrades:
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 1
X-Wing (21)
Upgrades:
R2 Astromech (1)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pilot: Chewbacca
YT-1300 (42)
Upgrades:
Expose (4)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Chewie, who is drat hard to kill since he gives no fucks about critical hits, can blast anything near him with 4 shots. Dutch stays nearby and ionizes stuff while handing out target locks like candy, and the Rookie X-Wing gives a bit more firepower.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Bosushi! posted:

The card specifically says choose 1 ship at Range 1, so I believe it's only 1 ship that gets the benefits.

Swarm Tactics is still very good, but I have a feeling a lot of people misinterpreted it to where ALL ships at range 1 get the benefits.

The exact wording is "When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, it may reroll 1 attack die." It does not tell you to nominate a ship, therefore it acts as an aura.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Where do I find the maneuver templates for the new guys? I only saw the Interceptor's posted online.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Feeple posted:

The exact wording is "When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, it may reroll 1 attack die." It does not tell you to nominate a ship, therefore it acts as an aura.

I misread the question. I thought the subject was swarm tactics.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Bosushi! posted:

I misread the question. I thought the subject was swarm tactics.

Ah. Sorry. Howlrunner is currently the number 1 thing that stick in my craw (all other "buddy" abilities are nominate 1, but Howlrunner is just every fucker nearby,) as a mainly Rebel player.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Feeple posted:

Ah. Sorry. Howlrunner is currently the number 1 thing that stick in my craw (all other "buddy" abilities are nominate 1, but Howlrunner is just every fucker nearby,) as a mainly Rebel player.

No need to apologize, it was my dumb rear end that misread the question

As it stands I think the Imperials really need those extra dice. It takes so much fire to chew through those X-Wings with their shields, focus, droids etc.

Howlrunner flanked by a couple of TIE interceptors though? That's going to suck so hard.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
Howlrunner is cool, but it's not exactly easy to stay in formation past the first run and he's got a big target on his forehead. Every time I've played him vs. Imperials, Vader has gone straight for him with missiles.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I just picked this up in Secret Santa, and our Quick Start game was very fun and very fast! My only (minor) beef with the intro set is that the instructions don't tell you which maneuver wheel belongs to which starfighter, so I had to redo it once I realized that two of them were the same and one was different.

There's a lot of stuff in the pack, I'm looking forward to trying out the core rules and diving in to some scenarios! My only real lamentation about this game is that the expansion ships are so expensive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gau posted:

I just picked this up in Secret Santa, and our Quick Start game was very fun and very fast! My only (minor) beef with the intro set is that the instructions don't tell you which maneuver wheel belongs to which starfighter, so I had to redo it once I realized that two of them were the same and one was different.

There's a lot of stuff in the pack, I'm looking forward to trying out the core rules and diving in to some scenarios! My only real lamentation about this game is that the expansion ships are so expensive.

If you look on the inner wheel, there's a small "X-Wing" or "TIE Fighter" in the center. Its hidden once they're assembled. Also, they're color coded, the burgundy backed wheels will always be rebel fighters, the navy ones are imperials.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Gau posted:

My only real lamentation about this game is that the expansion ships are so expensive.

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165103

$9.99 a Piece! (except the new medium size ships, $19.49)

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Played a demo game against myself since my opponent decided something else was more important than Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures.

Wedge Antilles
- R2 Astromech
- Proton Torpedoes
- Expert Handling
Biggs Darklighter
- R2-F2
"Dutch" Vander
- R5-D8
- Ion Cannon
- Proton Torpedoes
(99 pts)

- vs -

Darth Vader
- Swarm Tactics
- Cluster Missiles
"Howlrunner"
- Swarm Tactics
"Backstabber"
"Mauler Mithel"
Academy Pilot
(100 pts)

Initial salvo involved Howlrunner taking some hits, and Mithel blowing up into a cloud of hot gas and Tie bits. Everyone broke off with pretty much the entire Imperial fleet chasing Wedge, and Biggs melting to Vader. Then Wedge put on a show of pure grade-A bullshit, barrel rolling his way away from the Tie Fighters for something like 4 whole turns while Dutch just meandered around, ionizing Vader a couple of times, and picking off the remaining ties one by one.

The game ended with Vader and Wedge (both with 1 hull left) making a final pass at one another, with Dutch pretty much alone on the other side of the board. Vader lived through Wedge's shot (Rebels had initiative) and then missed his own. Then after Wedge K-Turned and Vader couldn't barrel roll out of Range 3, Wedge got lucky and blew him out of the sky.

Long story short, Expert Handling on Wedge is really something special.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I swear by expert handling these days, especially on my TIE lists. It causes my regular opponent friend so much fury when I just barrel roll around the map while he chases me around losing all of his target locks. :wookie:

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
I've been playing round with Vader led, 6 ship Imperial lists. Against Rebels I've had better luck with Vader and Howlrunner, both with swarm tactics, and 4 academy pilots. Against other Imperials, I like Vader with concussion missiles, Backstabber, Night Beast, and 3 academy pilots. I'm not sure what to run for the Kessel event this weekend...
One guy's running Backstabber with 7 academy pilots, and I know a few people are running 3 ship Rebel lists all tricked out. Too many choices, and I need to win an A-wing!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The 1st wave X-Wing expansions are reduced to 8.74 again!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Fox of Stone posted:

The 1st wave X-Wing expansions are reduced to 8.74 again!

Thanks for the heads up; just grabbed all of the expansions.

My fiancee has taken to this game (she's going to get us, meaning her, the Falcon when it comes out) and my dad and brother are interested as well so this is shaping up to be a pretty decent purchase. Mom, sister, and warmachine friends not really interested.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
[Ask] me about winning the Kessel Run.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
God drat it, now I want all the plastic spaceships.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

SERPUS posted:

[Ask] me about winning the Kessel Run.

Congrats! I've been boning up all day today in preparation for our event, still not sure what I want to run.

So many questions!:
What was the event turnout?
What did you play?
What did the faction split look like?
What was the runner-up fielding?

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Our Kessel in Pasadena is under way right now. 10 players showed up, split even Imperial/Rebel. 3 Rebel / 2 Imperial in the winners bracket after round one (they are in their second round matches now). Lots of Vaders, Wegdes, and Biggs. Empire vs Empire games are a clusterfuck to watch. We are running 75 min rounds and most people are hitting that mark within a couple minutes. I think that will speed up as people get more comfortable with their first competitive play experience.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Merauder posted:

What was the event turnout?
What did you play?
What did the faction split look like?
What was the runner-up fielding?

There were 9 players. 2 of them were brand new, one had actually just bought the core set plus expansions this morning. There were 6 Rebels players and 3 Imperial players.

My squad:
code:
100 points

35 points
Darth Vader
During your "Perform Action" step, you may perform 2 actions.
Upgrades:
Cluster Missiles (4)
Squad Leader (2)

18 points
Howlrunner
When another friendly ship at Range 1 is attacking with its primary weapon, 
it may reroll 1 attack die.
Upgrades:
None

17 points
Mauler Mithel
When attacking at Range 1, roll 1 additional attack die.
Upgrades:
None

15 points
Winged Gundark
When attacking at Range 1, you may change 1 of your {hit} results to a {critical} result.
Upgrades:
None

15 points
Night Beast
After executing a green maneuver, you may perform a free focus action.
Upgrades:
None
The other guy was running a pretty standard but very strong 3-ship Rebel squad of Wedge, Garven Dreis, and Dutch Vander (two X's and one y). I had some incredibly lucky rolls near the end: rolled four defense dice - got 4 evades, then had a later attack at range 1 where I rolled 2 hits and a crit to finish off Wedge. I also crashed Night Beast into an asteroid and destroyed her early on, I felt dumb but everyone kind of laughed it off as typical TIE-pilot behavior in a big furball.

Side note spoiler: The dish on the top of the Falcon swivels

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Nice job for the empire. I got to check out the boxes at our store on Wednesday. Im shooting low hoping to get an Interceptor, although slave 1 is very cool, but my buddy has his heart set on it. Im still debating what list to bring. I like your list, but Ive been debating bringing another advance with cluster missiles.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I got to play the Slave I in the finals. It was definitely fun, but I felt that it was no match for the YT-1300 in single combat. It was my 2 Interceptors that actually won me the match, while the Firespray took all the attention and damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
This is what I'm tentatively running at our event,

code:
Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Garven Dreis
X-Wing (26)
Upgrades:
R2 Astromech (1)

Pilot: Wedge Antilles
X-Wing (29)
Upgrades:
Swarm Tactics (2)

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 1
X-Wing (21)
Upgrades:
No upgrades Selected

Pilot: Rookie Pilot 2
X-Wing (21)
Upgrades:
No upgrades Selected
Similar to a list Feeple posted a little bit ago, it's 4 X-Wings light on upgrades but lots of aggression with being able to use Swarm Tactics to bring Dreis up to a PS9, use his Focus attacking a target, then give the token to Wedge who can have that as well as his own Target Lock on the same target Dreis fired on, plus the two Rookies for additional maximum attack dice each round.

I like the concepts, just haven't had time to play the game in weeks, so I'm going into our event pretty blind.

Considering not including the R2 Astro on Garven too, just to be sitting at 99 for Initiative sake. I don't particularly need the R2 effect, it would just be there in case the situation arose. Thoughts?

Merauder fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 16, 2012

• Locked thread