Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

SEKCobra posted:

Just reinstall the game and emptythe folder, this won't remove your saves.

My only worry is the issues I've heard with GFWL saves disappearing or getting corrupted or whatever. I have a copy of the default game folder floating around on one of my externals, not sure which, but its there. Will I need to do any manual updates for RGSC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

My only worry is the issues I've heard with GFWL saves disappearing or getting corrupted or whatever. I have a copy of the default game folder floating around on one of my externals, not sure which, but its there. Will I need to do any manual updates for RGSC?

Remove the files you installed for icehancer. It is a pain, but the quickest method. Either check the zip that it came in or download it again. Had to do this a few times myself.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
ice overwrites files if I'm not mistaken.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It does,

If your on steam there's a back up option you can do prior to installing Ice

I personally don't like Ice, way too bloomy and there's tons of saturation. I had to reinstall last night because I thought I would enjoy it :(

edit: ugh, make sure you delete all of it instead of just deleting gta 4 and reinstalling, otherwise it will still be there.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I don't remember it overwriting anything when I last used it. If it is on steam, you should just be able to delete them and verify the game to get those missing files.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
When it says to install the readme says to copy and replace but I'm not sure what it replaces.

Anyways you can essentially delete all the old files since they're labeled 6/2011 and the game should work as it did before (its been working so far for me)

Are there any mods that are essential to GTA4? The realistic gun mod looks interesting, also are there any recommended shaders aside from ice?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Phuzun posted:

I don't remember it overwriting anything when I last used it. If it is on steam, you should just be able to delete them and verify the game to get those missing files.

I checked, it overwrites a lot of essential files if you want to restore the original GTA look, the timecyc files alone do some of the biggest changes.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Cliff Racer posted:

How popular is playing PC games with a controller, anyway. I know about it, and a lot of people here do it, but SA obviously isn't really indicative of the entire game-playing public.

For me personally, I play with a 360 controller more often than I do with a keyboard and mouse. Part of it is that a lot of titles are multi-platform now and often handle better with a pad with no further setup than "have the controller plugged in." Sometimes there are games/situations where I know I'm being hindered by using the 360 pad, so I use the keyboard or mouse then (shooting during fast sequences in gta/saint's row is probably the most common). I think TF2 is basically the only game I still play with a traditional setup because it'd be super stupid not to.

Generally speaking though it's just easier and I have a couple of nice controllers, so I may as well. I'm almost positive there'll be no need for me to unplug it when GTA V is release.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Last night I was playing Skyrim with kbm for the first time, and holy poo poo, it's pretty clear the game's controls were built around the 360 pad in mind, so I just turned on my 360 pad and played with that instead.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

What graphics mods besides ICEnhancer do y'all use? There are so many enb tweaks I don't want to risk messing up my install for a bad one.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Android version of Vice City has been delayed by (hopefully) a week, in case anyone else was jonesing for it too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's really great on the iPad. I've got a bug where the keyboard won't go away on screen so I'm waiting before getting too involved but man, it looks amazing at that super high resolution. They reworked the controls perfectly for a touchscreen too. Really a crazy deal for $5.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

radiatinglines posted:

What graphics mods besides ICEnhancer do y'all use? There are so many enb tweaks I don't want to risk messing up my install for a bad one.

I used that mod that replaced every car in the game with a high-poly real life equivalent and added an entire island to the map full of stunt driving stuff and a race track. It was oodles of fun for an afternoon but if you go back into the normal areas it does nothing but crash. I did it on my gta4 installation so I could keep my BoGT install pure.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

davebo posted:

I used that mod that replaced every car in the game with a high-poly real life equivalent and added an entire island to the map full of stunt driving stuff and a race track. It was oodles of fun for an afternoon but if you go back into the normal areas it does nothing but crash. I did it on my gta4 installation so I could keep my BoGT install pure.
Ultimate vehicle pack? Its on version 9 right now, make sure you have the right version. Works fine for me though, no more crashes than usual. I think the author is releasing v10 around dec 24th.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Farecoal posted:

I'm trying to get Simple Trainer 6.4 to work with GTA IV, how would I go about doing so?

Cage posted:

You just need dsound.dll, trainer.cfg and trainer.asi. Throw them all in your GTA4 directory then hit F3 while in game.

Farecoal posted:

I'm getting an error message, "Unsupported exe, only 1.1.1.0 is supported". I'm using the Steam version, do I have to downgrade :confused:

Cage posted:

Are you trying to use this with EFLC or vanilla GTA4? 1.1.1.0 is a previous patch of EFLC, GTA4 is only on 1.0.7.0 right now.

Farecoal posted:

Vanilla GTA IV, but I have both EFLC and GTA IV installed through Steam right now.

I never got an answer, can anyone help with this? :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Oh, Im sorry I dont really know how to help. You shouldnt need to downgrade, but I just recently bought GTA4 on steam too and I had to manually update my game to the latest patch. Dunno what version I had to start with but maybe theres a chance the files you have arent compatible with the new version of gta.

If you did update your game to the newest version already then I dont know what to tell you. :(

edit: I googled your error message and it could be that your asi loader (dsound.dll) might not work with older versions of the game. I dont totally understand what the files do, but a few seperate people made their own versions of dsound.dll which is what lets you use trainers/mods.

e2: here are the files I use zipped up, theyve always worked for me. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7t7nx2094owhtx/trainer.zip

Cage fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 8, 2012

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've got vice city on iPad 3 and iPhone 4S , just trying to get cloud saving to work? I upgraded to 15gb cloud data after needing the space, not sure if that's related but neither of the games (pad/phone ) seem to pick up any saves in the cloud slots? Do I need to backup iCloud, reinstall the apps on both devices? Just a little unsure.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm kind of in a rut with GTAIV. I'm at the part where I find the Florian dude but it turns out he's just some flamboyant guy and not the dude Niko is looking for. And about 5 missions later im doing random work for a lot of work for some Mafia guys, on top of Packie's family. Problem is i'm running out of steam and I feel like im chasing some invisible carrot. I'm not looking for the game to end or anything, but I need some sense of story progression. In a non-spoilery way, how far am I from getting the next big plot point? The three leaf clover mission was amazing but things are getting really dull.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Avocados posted:

I'm kind of in a rut with GTAIV. I'm at the part where I find the Florian dude but it turns out he's just some flamboyant guy and not the dude Niko is looking for. And about 5 missions later im doing random work for a lot of work for some Mafia guys, on top of Packie's family. Problem is i'm running out of steam and I feel like im chasing some invisible carrot. I'm not looking for the game to end or anything, but I need some sense of story progression. In a non-spoilery way, how far am I from getting the next big plot point? The three leaf clover mission was amazing but things are getting really dull.

pretty close. Stick with it. Then treat your self to Ballad of Gay tony.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It gets really boring at the end where you're just loving around in the New Jersey part doing who knows what waiting for the story to progress. Then you finally do what Niko came here for at the very end.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Cage posted:

Oh, Im sorry I dont really know how to help. You shouldnt need to downgrade, but I just recently bought GTA4 on steam too and I had to manually update my game to the latest patch. Dunno what version I had to start with but maybe theres a chance the files you have arent compatible with the new version of gta.

If you did update your game to the newest version already then I dont know what to tell you. :(

edit: I googled your error message and it could be that your asi loader (dsound.dll) might not work with older versions of the game. I dont totally understand what the files do, but a few seperate people made their own versions of dsound.dll which is what lets you use trainers/mods.

e2: here are the files I use zipped up, theyve always worked for me. https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7t7nx2094owhtx/trainer.zip

Thanks for the try, but I got the same error message. Thanks though.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Finally found Darko. That scene was a lot more powerful than I expected. I was pretty sure Niko was going to break down after Darko said he did it all for $1,000. Let the dude live and ran off to Roman's wedding a few missions later. Kate took the bullet, which was sad, but frankly I was more worried about Roman getting it. I felt the events and buildup before that was way too long though. Killing random 'important' guys and messing with a whole lot of drugs was tiring. Bernie has become my new favorite character since Packie for a number of obvious reasons. I wish they had more characters like him. I don't mind the serious tone of GTAIV, but they have to add some sort of variety to it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The choice at the end of the game is so meaningless. Let a decent character that you actually care about die, or let some random person added 2/3rds through that you don't even care about die. Oh boy, that's such a hard choice.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cojawfee posted:

Oh boy, that's such a hard choice.

They didn't actually tell you who dies for each choice though, did they?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Chuck Bartowski posted:

They didn't actually tell you who dies for each choice though, did they?

Nope, and the person whose advice you take regarding the Heroin deal is the one that gets killed.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Spalec posted:

Nope, and the person whose advice you take regarding the Heroin deal is the one that gets killed.

That's right! I remember Kate dying and Roman being distraught. Which caused Niko to seek revenge if I remember correctly (It's been a while)

It seems a bit odd that four years on in a GTA specific thread we're spoilering all this, at least to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Because this isn't the GTAIV thread anymore, it's the GTA Megathread. People might be coming in who haven't played this game yet. Back when I posted in the Star Trek megathread, we'd start spoilering things when someone came in and mentioned they were just starting season whatever or such of a series.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Fair enough. Wasn't there talk of this becoming the Rockstar (:rock:) megathread?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
I just completed IV recently for the first time and up to the point you meat Packie and during those missions is the high point but then it all goes badly downhill very quickly from there...yeesh I have to bump some people off for this heroin addict on a bench...oh...okay. I know he was related to Packie and that but give me a break. And then the Italians, and Mexicans and whatever ever other gang stereotype they decided to throw in. And in the meantime everyone's calling you up to go bowling. The sad thing is I felt bad for just hanging up everytime, sorry Roman but poo poo is crazy and I aint got time in real life or in the game.

Looking forward to playing episodes though eventually.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

I just completed IV recently for the first time and up to the point you meat Packie and during those missions is the high point but then it all goes badly downhill very quickly from there...yeesh I have to bump some people off for this heroin addict on a bench...oh...okay. I know he was related to Packie and that but give me a break. And then the Italians, and Mexicans and whatever ever other gang stereotype they decided to throw in. And in the meantime everyone's calling you up to go bowling. The sad thing is I felt bad for just hanging up everytime, sorry Roman but poo poo is crazy and I aint got time in real life or in the game.

Looking forward to playing episodes though eventually.

I didn't hang out with anyone until Dwayne called. Poor guy needs some friends and I couldn't just hang up :smith:

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Avocados posted:

I didn't hang out with anyone until Dwayne called. Poor guy needs some friends and I couldn't just hang up :smith:

Meh, he just came across as whiney and needy to me and that put me right off him. In fact, it started to make me wish I had offed him but that apartment you get for offing the other guys was great.

Jacob was my only true bro, love it when your listening to the rasta channel and he keeps commenting about the music.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Jacob owns, especially with badman added to the mix.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Well I finally finished the game. Niko didn't seem too happy even though he nabbed Perogrino or whatever his name is. Of course there wasn't really a reason for him to be happy after all that had happened recently. I wasn't disappointed for the way the game ended, just upset it ended with Niko all depressed in the park. :( Hopefully him, Bernie and the Bellics and go speedboating off into the sunset. Does it matter if I start the Lost & Damned first, or Gay Tony?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Do TLAD first because Gay Tony is easily the best thing to come out of the IV era and you won't want to touch anything else once you play it.

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
I loved TLAD because I always had a vehicle and it was a bike. I never had to stop for traffic, just ride on the lines between the lanes :rock:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

TBOGT also has a considerably happier ending, and if you liked Bernie, you'll probably loving love Yusuf.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hoping for some good multiplayer news soon. I've been playing GTA IV free roam since it launched on the 360. I'm ready to do it all over again.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Agoat posted:

I'm hoping for some good multiplayer news soon. I've been playing GTA IV free roam since it launched on the 360. I'm ready to do it all over again.
Youre missing out on so much by not playing freeroam on PC. :(

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I hope they'll do dedicated servers this time around, I know it's unlikely, but it would still be the one thing to make Multiplayer perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is there any news on GTAV multiplayer? Have they added cops to the free roam yet!?

• Locked thread